“Risky Business” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #82 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
Chicago, Illinois
“Risky Business”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Got a good deal if you consider only the room and only at night. We were placed in a ground room that we couldn’t open the windows or curtains because faced out into alley way where people locked their bikes up to the bars across our windows. Every morning at 7am we awoke to intolerable beeping of delivery and trash trucks. We were awoken at night to the sound of people arguing walking through the alleys signing drunk. Inside the hotel was nicely decorated and comfortable. You’re charged 15$ a day a non-negotiable fee for beach towels, happy hour drinks, lobby internet……..even though the sign outside reads “free perks – happy hour drinks, wifi. Credit card was run through old-time drag and copy manual machine and stapled to copy of id and credit card. 1 week later for the first time in my life my credit card was duplicated somehow and used in NYC. No proof how or who is responsible. But such a machine a risk worth avoiding.

Room Tip: Beware you'll have additional costs that are "not optional" once you arrive. Look for...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Polish first
New York, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

i stayed at chesterfield hotel in March, 2013 for 3 nights. I was very happy with the location, in the heart of south beach, everything was in walking distance. However, don't expect much from the room. It was small, noisy and definitely not suitable for business trips (no wifi, no desk). So, it is best hotel for younger people who came to Miami to have fun and want to be in the middle of everything but not expecting much from the hotel itself and not spending much time in the hotel either.

Room Tip: ask for higher floor as ac unit noise is too much in the lower floors
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I arrived in my favorite city and was worried about this hotel because it was new to my friend and I. To our surprise, this boutique hotel was super cute and Pedro was awesome! He gave me a free upgrade to a premium room with two queen beds, a pull out couch and a jacuzzi bath! The staff was friendly and helpful. If you love to shop, this is the place to stay! One block from Ocean Drive... seriously this hotel is super! I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed at the Chesterfield Hotel just after we attended the Winter Party Festival. This hotel was recommended by a friend who said they had a great time there the year before. It is conveniently located in the Collins shopping district. We had a wonderful experience at this hotel. Great staff that tended to all our needs. Walked in to a lovely, clean room. Food was wonderful and so were the wait staff. Would totally stay here again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Chesterfield Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Hello Mina S,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we are very glad that you chose to share it with us!! Thank you for choosing to stay with us for Winter Party Festival. The location of our property is wonderful and within walking distance to all of the hot spots here on SoBe. I am glad that you had a wonderful experience at our hotel. I am content to know that you were satisfied with the cleanliness of your room. We hope to see you soon!

San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We own a full service hotel in Lake of the Ozark, Mo. So, we have a very high expectation for any Hotels and their staffs. I spent a lot of time reading on Tripadvisor.com to learn about different hotels vs. their prices. There are mixed reviews about Chesterfield Hotel and the Staffs. But, since we have kids, want to stay away from the noise, and don’t want to spend a ton of money. So, we booked 2 nights (2/19 and 2/20) at Chesterfield for our Pre-Cruise. We booked this hotel because it excellent location. We arrived late at 9PM, and the hotel was almost fully book. The only standard room available is room #202, right above the bar. I talked to the front desk agent: Pedro Alvarado that we have kids, and it will be hard for us to rest with the activities from the Bar. Pedro double checked, however, all the standard rooms at quite areas are fully booked. After a couple calls, Pedro told me that he can upgrade us to Junior Suite for “free”. Wow. Pedro took the time to work around their busy schedule, fully booked problem to help us. Then, Raul helped to bring our languages to room #502. We loved the room!!!
I loved the interior of the room and loved how modern everything was. I owe a hotel so I really care about the cleanliness and a comfy bed and this hotel had both of these things. The room is big, 2 separate rooms with king size beds. 2 flat screen TVs, one standing shower, and a separate Jacuzzi in the inside bedroom. Hardwood floor throughout, and the floor is clean. 2 custom colors bedroom, and crown molding on ceiling make the room look so modern.
I don’t know why some people complain about the service of this hotel? Beside Pedro is one of the best Front Desk Agent that I ever known, everyone else at the hotel is also provide great service, and all of them are very friendly.
After the 5 days Cruise, we came back to stay at the hotel for one more night. Cruise departure at 9AM, so, we requested the front desk personal for to allow “early” check in for us. Francesca Mula was the front desk person on 2/26. She was super kind also. She went extra miles to help us to work with housekeeping department to prepare a room early for us, then, called us on our cell phone to let us know (while we headed out for eat at another restaurant). I really appreciated the kindness and special help from Francesca. We also met the Supervisor Alex Gabriel, and Manager Darko Gjorgioski – they are also super kind, and treat customer very well. Alex worked extra hard to help me to book the bus from hotel back to Miami Airport. The assistant Jose helped us to carry the languages vs. the stair to our room on the 2nd level on 2/26 (room 404).
Overall, I strongly recommend this hotel for people for care about service, cleaning, location in South Beach, and don’t want to spend a ton of money. Everyone from the high level manager, supervisor, front desk, luggage assistant … they are all nice, and provide excellent services. Best service, Best bang for the buck ever!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hello Chiduc2,

Thank you so much for such a wonderful extensive feedback, for all of our future guests to read! I am very glad that you had a perfect time while staying with us! Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us prior to your cruise! The location of our property is definitely in such a great, central spot. We are within walking distance to almost everything. I am extremely glad to read that Pedro did everything that he could to accommodate you to another room, that was more suitable for your family. I will make sure to inform both Pedro, Francesca, Darko and Raul of your kind praise! I am glad that you were content with the cleanliness of your room. Our room attendants work hard to ensure that each and every room is deep cleaned before releasing the room. Please come back soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

After reading the reviews of this hotel I was kind of nervous on staying here. But tried anyway for one nite march 11th. Perfect location. One block away from wet willies. One block away from shopping stores. I been coming to south beach once a month for a yr. wish I knew about the chesterfield. I stayed in a VERY CLEAN suite thanks to Alex. He was great to us. Made my stay a good one during spring break. iPod dock and speakers in each room. I would highly recommend this room to everyone. Ignore all negative reviews and stay an see for yourself! Thanks again Alex, the young woman at the front desk(forgot her name) and chesterfield staff.

• Stayed March 2013
Hello Vf_changs,

Your wonderful feedback is appreciated and we are glad that you chose to share it with us! The location of our property is very central, within walking distance to all of the big spots on South Beach! I am glad to read that you were content with the cleanliness of your room, and I will make sure to inform Alex of your wonderful praise! He is a great employee and a wonderful asset to our team! We hope to see you soon!

Culver City, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed here recently when in Miami for a big medical convention. It was one of the hotels that my professional organization offered ( my organization offers hotel reservations when you register for the meeting) and at the time that i registered was the closest hotel to the convention center that was available.
Twice before arriving we tried to call the hotel--once about a week before our arrival to confirm the reservation and again the day before to ask questions about the accommodations. We called multiple times over the course of 2 days ( a week apart) and NO ONE EVER ANSWERED THE PHONE. EVER. We of course saw this as a big red flag bur at that point it was too late to change hotels, we had had to give a deposit.
The lack of service continued when we arrived. First of all be aware that there is no hotel lobby--the check in desk is in a bar. The guy who opened the door for us when we arrived we assumed was a bar patron who was nice enough to hold the door for us, as he never looked up from his cell phone while propping the door open with his foot. Turns out he was the bellman! The check in guy was very nice and the most professional person we encountered there, but when we asked where we could get coffee early in the morning ( we left for meetings at 6:30 AM) he recommended a place that opened "at 8 or 9". Management could do a service for its professional clientele by putting a little coffeepot in the room as most hotels now do.
The first night there we noticed our phone flashing as if we had a message--when we dialed the operator ( there is no directory in the room giving extensions for front desk, housekeeping, etc) NO ONE EVER ANSWERED THE PHONE. By this time we had gotten the message that this was an exorbitantly priced boarding house, not a hotel.
The room was above a kind of an alley that ended at street level next to yet another bar. Needless to say the noise from bar patrons was a big problem.
Also wanted to note that the walls of our room were lime green and deep purple and the ceiling was kind of a burnt orange. TV got around 7 channels, 4 of which are in Spanish. This would have mattered less if we had bern otherwise happy with our experience there.
The day before our departure, I went to the front desk to arrange for seats on the airport shuttle for the next morning. My first attempt was mid morning; i was told they could not do it then and to come back after lunch. When i stopped by in the afternoon i was told to come back after cocktail hour. When I protested, i was told i could call the front desk later to arrange. I eyed the young woman and said REALLY?? and started laughing, then pointed out what she already knew, that NO ONE EVER ANSWERS THE PHONE! when i came back for the 3rd time that evening our names were put on a clipboard ( after a search for it underneath things on the desk) but by this time we did not have much confidence in the process, so made sure we were out on the street early the next morning so we wouldn't miss the shuttle.
We paid almost $2000 for a 5 night stay.
The best i can say is that there was daily maid service.
If you have unlimited funds and all you are interested in is the beach during the day and partying at night then this place might be ok. Otherwise stay away.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hello Betterwithexercise,

Your extensive feedback on your recent stay with us is definitely appreciated!! I am terribly sorry that you were not able to contact us before your stay. We were indeed experiencing some issues with our phone system but that has been resolved already. The people that were calling was able to hear a ring but the call would never come through to us. Perhaps this was when you were trying to reach us. The issue has been taken care of and everything is back to normal now. We do indeed have a lobby with a reception desk- to the left of the lobby, and we also have a Safari bar- to the right of the lobby. I am startled to read that our bellmen was using his phone while working, when he should be giving each and every guest the best possible service! Do you remember the name of this gentleman or perhaps what he looked like? We are working on a solution for the noise. I am sorry to read that you did not have an amazing time while staying with us!

Katrine

Been to Chesterfield Hotel? Share your experiences!