“Adequate” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #84 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Pompano Beach, Florida
“Adequate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for work purposes for 2 nights. It wasn't as bad as I expected based on the reviews. It's South Beach - the accommodations, unless you're staying in the few huge hotels that will be the cost of some mortgages, will be small and older. Nothing can be done about that.

The Good
*Room size was great. We had one of the rooms that had a bedroom, sitting room with couch and large bath. Much larger than I expected.
*The rooms had great window coverings. At night there was NO light coming through. Impressive.
*Massive flat screen tv's.
*One block from Ocean Drive. Fantabulous! Easy enough to walk to many, many restaurants, bars and the beach.
*Clean rooms.

The Bad
*The noise level was super loud. The room was down an alleyway (there are several seperate buildings at the hotel) and the noise from the streets travels straight down the alley. The windows are super thin and you can hear people walking and talking past and you can clearly hear their conversations. You can drink 24 hrs down there and people are stumbling in at all hours so some more quiet would go a long way. Also the workers when cleaning in the mornings are laughing and talking loudly outside the rooms, which was annoying.
*The check-in area was very small which means only 2 employees at a time to check customers in and out. Makes for slow progress.
*The toilet runs. This seems to be a common complain on the board so obviously there are issues there.
*The bartender in The Lounge was indifferent and not very friendly. This is typical for South Beach unfortunately but it would make a great experience to have someone talk to you and act like they were happy for your business. She also didn't have change for a $20. Weird (I looked in the drawer when she checked - no $5's or $10's). Not a great way to get tips.
*The desk clerks announce out loud as you check-in your room number. A massive no-no in the hotel industry as someone could take advantage of another hotel guest by following them to their room. All that needs to be done is to give the key folder and point to the room number. Please, please stop this practice immediately for your guest's safety.

The Ugly
*The valet service STINKS! You pull your car up and wait over 15 minutes in the road while someone goes to look for the valet. This happened twice to me. At $32 a night you'd think there would always be someone available or to come back quicker. They say you can leave your car and give the keys to the front desk, which works of you can find an open space to park out front. But there were already 4 cars parked and waiting to be moved by the valet. So I was forced to circle around 3x two seperate times. Yes there were garages around and the valet isn't run by the hotel. But the hotel should have higher expectations of the company that works for them and services their guests.

Overall the stay wasn't bad. It they could tweek their customer service issues, which would take minimal training, they would have a hotel with a lot to offer and happy customers on their hands.

• Stayed February 2013
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Chesterfield Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Good Evening GK95,

Thank you so much for taking your time to write such an extensive reivew on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! We are glad that you had a good time while staying with us! I see that you were content with the size of your room, as well as the amenities that we provide in the rooms, the cleanliness of the rooms, and the location. We are located in the heart of South Beach, within walking distance to all of the hot spots here. We are indeed working on finding a solution for the noise issue. We want the party goers to be able to party, and the sleepers to be able to get a great nights rest! Were you able to address the issue with the toilet to the front desk or the operator? We would have sent a maintenance personal to fix that immediately. It is constructive feedback such as yours that allows us to make the necessary changes we need to, in order to make Chesterfield Hotel a better and more enjoyable place for all of our guests! I am going to personally speak with the manager at the bar in regards to the service that the bartenders are providing to our guests. This is completely unacceptable and each and every guest should be given outstanding customer service- no matter what! Unfortunately the valet company that we use is not part of the hotel. The valet guys have to run and park cars in the garage, and when it's busy it might take them a little more time to do so. Parking has always been a problem in South Beach. So many people and so little space. We hope that you would give us another chance in the near future!

Have a great night!

1,260 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Good location one block from Ocean Drive. Rooms are small but the bed was comfortable. If you are assigned one of the rooms toward the back of the hotel it will be very noisy because the alleyway is used to deliver goods and for garbage pick up. This noisy routine begins very early in the morning. The hotel lacks a pool and attempts to make up for this with a sun deck. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Good Day Jmrodriguezesq,

Your honest feedback on Trip Advisor is greatly appreciated! We are very glad that you chose to share it with us! I am glad that you were content with the location of our property! Our rooms are a bit smaller then your average rooms as we are a boutique hotel and the rooms are smaller then the average hotel room. We have tried to have the delivery trucks come at a later time during the day but they are on a route and not able to do so. Thank you again for your feedback!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The trip was exciting but the service in the hotel was outstanding in every phrase of the word.The service was great and the attention was awesome.The front desk personnel Daniel and Jose and Marcial are a great trio of caring workers.They go out of there way to ensure your stay is enjoyable and relaxing.Jose is very sociable and willing to do whatever is necessary for you to feel at home.These guys are an asset to the hotels success.Every company could use workers like them and be successful.There kindness and concern for each guest is unreal.As a manager of a retail store i know what great service is and how to give it.I wish them all future success.

Room Tip: The location is perfect right behind ocean drive.Suites are big and comfortable.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Josevanilla,

Your 5 star feedback is greatly appreciated and we are very glad that you took your time to share it with us! I am glad to read that you had a great time while staying with us and the service that you received was up to par! Our staff works hard to ensure that each and every guests has a great time and leaves with unforgettable memories!! I will definitely let the mentioned staff know of your kind praise!! We hope to have you stay with us again soon!

Have a great day!

Northern VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was here for a company function with several co-workers. Most of what I say is echoed by them.

The only room available to me was the one closest to the bar - like 15 feet from the bar. I didn't expect quiet, and was not disappointed. If the air conditioner unit had not been extremely loud, I would not have slept at all through the music and bar noise. To the hotel's credit, they offered to move me if they had a space, but since I was at a function all day, it would have meant having them move everything I had and I wasn't keen on the idea. It was a moot point anyway since there were no spare rooms the next day. My last day, I did move to a better, upgraded room, but the throbbing music from the back coupled with the loud voices out front could not keep up with the ironically quieter AC unit. I had little sleep while there.

The room was very small; barely room for the large king bed, which (as all my co-workers can attest) had shin banging overhangs. It was furnished in an edgy fun way, though the rooms (all seemed to be similar) were dark. Dim seems to be in in South Beach.

The bathroom was small, with a fairly large shower (no tub). The full mirror wall in the shower was cool, but pretty useless after about 30 seconds when it steamed up. The concrete sink was small and there was hardly any storage in the bathroom. Two cannot occupy the bathroom together unless they are hobbit-sized. The step up into and out of the bathroom is bound to be a broken leg someday.

There was no luggage rack for suitcases, though a reasonably good-sized closet was available.

It was hard to find a spare outlet for charging phones, etc - there were lots of extension cords powering the little fridge and lights. Not well thought out.

On the plus side, the bar was nice, if small, and the tiny free drinks are a nice touch. I had one breakfast there that was quite good and one late night sandwich, which was also good. All other food was off site.

The staff was reasonably good. They seem to be operating in the 1980’s though – who uses credit card imprinters anymore? Check-in takes some time and the desk is harried.

Speaking of off-site, off-site is off the hook. If you can’t find fun within five blocks of this place, you’re probably unconscious. Mangos, right around the corner, rocks. The entire strip is a block away, with the beach just across the street from that. You’ll tire of counting the Ferraris and Bentleys. Walk through the sidewalks by the restaurants and you’ll be hounded to come inside. Pick your poison. Or save a little and go a couple blocks away from the beach.

Room Tip: Get far from the bar.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Good Afternoon Tenknots,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am extremely sorry to read that you didn't have an amazing time while staying with us! Unfortunately we were sold out and therefore we were not able to move you for your entire stay. We were able to accommodate you with what we had. We are definitely working on finding a solution for the issue that we have been experiencing with the noise. In regards to the size of the hotel, we are a boutique hotel therefore our rooms are a bit smaller then your average hotel. I am glad to read that you were content with the bar and the free drinks that we offer to all of our guests from 7-8pm nightly. It's a great time to get to mingle around and get to know your temporary neighbors. I also see that you were content with the staff that serviced you! Our staff works hard to make sure that all of our guests feel comfortable and get what they need. The location of our property is definitely prime! We are in the heart of South Beach within walking distance to all of the hot spots.
Your feedback is greatly appreciated! Have a great day!

frederick
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Went here with my best friends, stayed three days. The staff was great, and our room was amazing. Love the live music at the bar and free drink which wasn't really specially but it was nice meeting other guest. Great location to restaurants and shopping. Would stay again

Room Tip: Try sushi on site
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Chesterfield Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Hello Claudine b,

Your wonderful feedback is appreciated and we are glad that you chose to share it with us! Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us on your trip to South Beach! Our staff is indeed great and they want to create unforgettable memories for all of our guests. I am glad to read that you were given great service! The complimentary cocktail hour is a great time to meet your temporary neighbors.
We hope to have you stay with us again, on your next visit to South Beach!

Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Booked a room with this hotel after returning from a Cruise. Just to stay a few nights to celebrate my best friends birthday. Even booking the room at the last minute, I was abe to get a great price. we arrived several hours before check in time and the staff totally made us feel welcomed. The suite we received was far beyond our expectations. It was absolutely beautiful. Tons of updates. The staff even supplied us with free beverages while we waited for our room. Such a caring group of people. Would definately stay there again!!!!! Two thumbs up.......

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Hello TwyonnaA,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated! Thank you for taking your time to share it with us! Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your return from your cruise and to celebrate your friends birthday! I am glad that you felt welcomed here! All of our staff is great at making guests feel comfortable, like as if were their home. I am glad that you were given such service! :)
We hope to see you soon!

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My week long stay was a great experience, even when I had a billing concern, the staff as well as management took a professional approach. The hotel is classy, comfortable, and set up well for business or pleasure. As a frequent traveler, I have stayed in three other boutiques and South Beach Group has been a great experience. A very special thanks to Ana, Pedro, Alexis, Jose R. and Francesca for all your service. I will be staying at Chesterfield again very soon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hello Pamela A,

Your wonderful 5 star feedback is greatly appreciated! Thank you for taking your time to share it with us! I am very glad to read that you had a great experience while staying with us! I am glad to read that the issue that you had with billing was resolved in a professional manner! Our staff is great and they are always eager to serve you! I will definitely let all of the mentioned staff know of your kind praise! We hope to see you soon!

Katrine

Been to Chesterfield Hotel? Share your experiences!