“Funky and edgy yes, relaxing, no.” 2 of 5 stars

Chesterfield Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   855 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #89 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Northern VA
“Funky and edgy yes, relaxing, no.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was here for a company function with several co-workers. Most of what I say is echoed by them.

The only room available to me was the one closest to the bar - like 15 feet from the bar. I didn't expect quiet, and was not disappointed. If the air conditioner unit had not been extremely loud, I would not have slept at all through the music and bar noise. To the hotel's credit, they offered to move me if they had a space, but since I was at a function all day, it would have meant having them move everything I had and I wasn't keen on the idea. It was a moot point anyway since there were no spare rooms the next day. My last day, I did move to a better, upgraded room, but the throbbing music from the back coupled with the loud voices out front could not keep up with the ironically quieter AC unit. I had little sleep while there.

The room was very small; barely room for the large king bed, which (as all my co-workers can attest) had shin banging overhangs. It was furnished in an edgy fun way, though the rooms (all seemed to be similar) were dark. Dim seems to be in in South Beach.

The bathroom was small, with a fairly large shower (no tub). The full mirror wall in the shower was cool, but pretty useless after about 30 seconds when it steamed up. The concrete sink was small and there was hardly any storage in the bathroom. Two cannot occupy the bathroom together unless they are hobbit-sized. The step up into and out of the bathroom is bound to be a broken leg someday.

There was no luggage rack for suitcases, though a reasonably good-sized closet was available.

It was hard to find a spare outlet for charging phones, etc - there were lots of extension cords powering the little fridge and lights. Not well thought out.

On the plus side, the bar was nice, if small, and the tiny free drinks are a nice touch. I had one breakfast there that was quite good and one late night sandwich, which was also good. All other food was off site.

The staff was reasonably good. They seem to be operating in the 1980’s though – who uses credit card imprinters anymore? Check-in takes some time and the desk is harried.

Speaking of off-site, off-site is off the hook. If you can’t find fun within five blocks of this place, you’re probably unconscious. Mangos, right around the corner, rocks. The entire strip is a block away, with the beach just across the street from that. You’ll tire of counting the Ferraris and Bentleys. Walk through the sidewalks by the restaurants and you’ll be hounded to come inside. Pick your poison. Or save a little and go a couple blocks away from the beach.

Room Tip: Get far from the bar.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Chesterfield Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Good Afternoon Tenknots,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am extremely sorry to read that you didn't have an amazing time while staying with us! Unfortunately we were sold out and therefore we were not able to move you for your entire stay. We were able to accommodate you with what we had. We are definitely working on finding a solution for the issue that we have been experiencing with the noise. In regards to the size of the hotel, we are a boutique hotel therefore our rooms are a bit smaller then your average hotel. I am glad to read that you were content with the bar and the free drinks that we offer to all of our guests from 7-8pm nightly. It's a great time to get to mingle around and get to know your temporary neighbors. I also see that you were content with the staff that serviced you! Our staff works hard to make sure that all of our guests feel comfortable and get what they need. The location of our property is definitely prime! We are in the heart of South Beach within walking distance to all of the hot spots.
Your feedback is greatly appreciated! Have a great day!

Katrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Polish first
frederick
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Went here with my best friends, stayed three days. The staff was great, and our room was amazing. Love the live music at the bar and free drink which wasn't really specially but it was nice meeting other guest. Great location to restaurants and shopping. Would stay again

Room Tip: Try sushi on site
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Chesterfield Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Hello Claudine b,

Your wonderful feedback is appreciated and we are glad that you chose to share it with us! Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us on your trip to South Beach! Our staff is indeed great and they want to create unforgettable memories for all of our guests. I am glad to read that you were given great service! The complimentary cocktail hour is a great time to meet your temporary neighbors.
We hope to have you stay with us again, on your next visit to South Beach!

Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Booked a room with this hotel after returning from a Cruise. Just to stay a few nights to celebrate my best friends birthday. Even booking the room at the last minute, I was abe to get a great price. we arrived several hours before check in time and the staff totally made us feel welcomed. The suite we received was far beyond our expectations. It was absolutely beautiful. Tons of updates. The staff even supplied us with free beverages while we waited for our room. Such a caring group of people. Would definately stay there again!!!!! Two thumbs up.......

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Hello TwyonnaA,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated! Thank you for taking your time to share it with us! Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your return from your cruise and to celebrate your friends birthday! I am glad that you felt welcomed here! All of our staff is great at making guests feel comfortable, like as if were their home. I am glad that you were given such service! :)
We hope to see you soon!

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My week long stay was a great experience, even when I had a billing concern, the staff as well as management took a professional approach. The hotel is classy, comfortable, and set up well for business or pleasure. As a frequent traveler, I have stayed in three other boutiques and South Beach Group has been a great experience. A very special thanks to Ana, Pedro, Alexis, Jose R. and Francesca for all your service. I will be staying at Chesterfield again very soon.

Hello Pamela A,

Your wonderful 5 star feedback is greatly appreciated! Thank you for taking your time to share it with us! I am very glad to read that you had a great experience while staying with us! I am glad to read that the issue that you had with billing was resolved in a professional manner! Our staff is great and they are always eager to serve you! I will definitely let all of the mentioned staff know of your kind praise! We hope to see you soon!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Typical Collins Avenue hotel, nothing fantastic but nothing bad, nice room decoration but a bit small and some of them smells cigarette smoke even if it is no smoking, however very good location in the heart of south beach and there's a happy hour between 7pm to 8pm free drinks!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Good Afternoon Jaw05,

Thank you for taking your time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am glad that you were content with the decor of our hotel. Our location is prime and we are within walking distance to all of the hot spots. I see that you were able to take advantage of the complimentary cocktail hour from 7-8pm nightly. Please come back and stay with us again.

We hope to see you soon!

Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

I have to start out with the normal south beach caveat. If you have never been to sobe before, throw away all your expectations of a decent hotel. Then think about your basic needs, how long you will be in the room, and what you can take and what you can't. Ive stayed in probably ten different "boutique" style hotels and each has it's negatives, and they are all different.

Let's start with the positives. Free shuttle to take you to Miami airport. Nice front porch with coach seating as well as small tables where you can get food. Staff is really nice and willing to help. Bed was fabulous sleeping, comfy. Hot water was plentiful. Free one hour happy hour was good as a meeting place for friends. Lock on my door worked well. Room was relatively clean and had room to walk around the bed (not always a given in south beach.) there was a nice stereo playing in my room as I got to it. There was a hair dryer and iron and mini safe in the room as well.

And the negatives. Elevator was old fashioned, but newly cleaned up. Crowded with 2 people. Inside decor was black, which means dark, dark. I was shown to my room, and within 5minutes had kicked my shin on the protruding wood bed platform, and run my toe into the 2" step up into the bathroom. Lighting was difficult in this room, with two bedside lamps, with black shades, with tiny lightbulbs, as well as a black chandelier over the bed. There is no way I could have read a book here. In the morning i ended up pulling up the venetian blinds, they didn't tilt open anymore, and getting enough natural light that I could pack. The bathroom was more like a nook off the bedroom, with no door. Glad I was alone. There was a short vertical glass partition by the toilet, with a sharp edge about shoulder level, ouch. And there was a black curtain that you could pull to cover the toilet and shower from the rest of the room. And no shower curtain. Maybe the stone wall and floor around the shower was designed for it? (in other rooms i understand there are mirrors in the shower.) The toilet ran a lot of the time. The air conditioning was so loud that I needed to turn it off at night to sleep so when it cycled on it wouldn't wake me up. Be prepared to use your suitcase as your dresser since there is nowhere to put your clothes other than the 6 coat hangars. And the hardwood floor needed a mop.

The funniest part? The 6' tall wooden figure in the lobby with the enormous member. Not easy to explain to any kid in your group!

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hello Marylander44,

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor. I am glad that you took your time to share it with us! I am very glad to read that you were able to take advantage of our complimentary shuttle from Miami International Airport. It;s a great money saver that all of our guests love. The front porch is a great spot to enjoy breakfast or lunch and people watch. There is a lot of eye candy that comes around the hotel. Our staff is always eager to serve you and I am glad that is what you were given! The cocktail hour that we provide for guests from 7-8pm nightly, is a great way to start the night off right. Also a great time to get to know who's sleeping in the room next to you. :) I am glad to know that you were content with the cleanliness of your room. Our housekeepers work hard to ensure that each and every room is deep cleaned and inspected by a supervisor before the room is given to a guest. The personality of our hotel is dark yet sophisticated. We do provide lamps for those guests who need more illumination in their rooms. Were you able to speak with the front desk or the operator about this? Our rooms are a bit smaller then average as we are a boutique style hotel, therefore we don't want to cluster the room so that you feel claustrophobic.
Your feedback is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Burlington, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

OK ...I get it ...South Beach in February ...expect to get ripped a bit, but if you going to do it, at least give me a figurative kiss. Good location which is key. Check in is laborious, not sure why they go through all the stuff they do. $32 to park...ouch. Simple tiny cup of coffee in the lobby which should have been comp'd was $5.42. Later two small Perriers were almost $12. On the positive side Happy Hour free drinks from 7-8pm took a little sting out...drink em fast!

Room with two double beds was ok but dimly lit and not enough outlets. A bit of a problem with the toilet that no one likes to deal with in a hotel. Comfortable bed and good stock of snacks etc, that oddly enough are more economically priced than what you buy in the lobby.

Stuff that was not ok: refusal to answer the phone at the front desk ...5 different calls from my room at different times all went unanswered. Also, very slow response to outside calls coming in to the hotel. Bartender acted as if he was doing us a giant favor to take our money, I dont get it. Five menus for various restaurants were in the room, however, the first two I called were out of business. While using a stainless scoop to get ice to carry back to the room, one of the valets walked by and stuck his unwashed hand into the ice resevoir and helped himself to a handful ...glad I was getting the ice for an iceback for a balky back vs for my drinks.

I did a quick check of other reviews on TA and was surprised to see that management most often comments on only positive reviews ...seems to me it should be the other way around.

Good Afternoon Ncsccrdad,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we are glad that you chose to share it with us! I am glad that you were content with the location of the property! We are in the heart of South Beach, within walking distance to all of the hot spots. We do take certain procedures for checking guests in, to ensure that everything is taken care of and understood. Our parking is $32 a night but it's not mandatory. There are several other parking options to choose from such as street parking, garages and lots around the neighborhood. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of the complimentary cocktail hour from 7-8pm nightly. It's a great time to mingle around and get to know your temporary neighbors. Our rooms are a bit dark, but we do provide lamps for those guests who would like more illumination in the room. Were you able to get one of those from the front desk or the operator?
I apologize greatly that your call was not tended to when you were trying to reach the front desk. I am sure that they were not refusing your call, they were most likely just super busy with other guests. I am definitely going to speak with the valet team about sticking their hands into the ice bin. That is completely unacceptable and I am glad that we are aware about this now.
We give attention and respond to each and every review on Trip Advisor, whether it's a negative or positive review. Most of the reviews that we have are positive though.

Have a great day!
Katrine

Been to Chesterfield Hotel? Share your experiences!