“OK ...I get it ...South Beach in February ...expect to get ripped a bit” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Chesterfield Hotel

You added Chesterfield Hotel to your Saves list
Chesterfield Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   855 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #91 of 204 Hotels in Miami Beach
Burlington, NC
“OK ...I get it ...South Beach in February ...expect to get ripped a bit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

OK ...I get it ...South Beach in February ...expect to get ripped a bit, but if you going to do it, at least give me a figurative kiss. Good location which is key. Check in is laborious, not sure why they go through all the stuff they do. $32 to park...ouch. Simple tiny cup of coffee in the lobby which should have been comp'd was $5.42. Later two small Perriers were almost $12. On the positive side Happy Hour free drinks from 7-8pm took a little sting out...drink em fast!

Room with two double beds was ok but dimly lit and not enough outlets. A bit of a problem with the toilet that no one likes to deal with in a hotel. Comfortable bed and good stock of snacks etc, that oddly enough are more economically priced than what you buy in the lobby.

Stuff that was not ok: refusal to answer the phone at the front desk ...5 different calls from my room at different times all went unanswered. Also, very slow response to outside calls coming in to the hotel. Bartender acted as if he was doing us a giant favor to take our money, I dont get it. Five menus for various restaurants were in the room, however, the first two I called were out of business. While using a stainless scoop to get ice to carry back to the room, one of the valets walked by and stuck his unwashed hand into the ice resevoir and helped himself to a handful ...glad I was getting the ice for an iceback for a balky back vs for my drinks.

I did a quick check of other reviews on TA and was surprised to see that management most often comments on only positive reviews ...seems to me it should be the other way around.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Chesterfield Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Good Afternoon Ncsccrdad,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we are glad that you chose to share it with us! I am glad that you were content with the location of the property! We are in the heart of South Beach, within walking distance to all of the hot spots. We do take certain procedures for checking guests in, to ensure that everything is taken care of and understood. Our parking is $32 a night but it's not mandatory. There are several other parking options to choose from such as street parking, garages and lots around the neighborhood. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of the complimentary cocktail hour from 7-8pm nightly. It's a great time to mingle around and get to know your temporary neighbors. Our rooms are a bit dark, but we do provide lamps for those guests who would like more illumination in the room. Were you able to get one of those from the front desk or the operator?
I apologize greatly that your call was not tended to when you were trying to reach the front desk. I am sure that they were not refusing your call, they were most likely just super busy with other guests. I am definitely going to speak with the valet team about sticking their hands into the ice bin. That is completely unacceptable and I am glad that we are aware about this now.
We give attention and respond to each and every review on Trip Advisor, whether it's a negative or positive review. Most of the reviews that we have are positive though.

Have a great day!
Katrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Had a great time at the Chesterfield;staff was very accommodating, friendly, and helpful. Room was contemporary, spacious, and clean. Quite an ideal location central to South Beach's hotspots and restaurants. I shall definitely return next time I am in Miami!

• Stayed January 2013
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Chesterfield Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Good Afternoon HateHardRockMyrtle,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your wonderful feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am extremely glad to read that you had a great time while staying with us! Our staff is always trying their hardest to fulfill all of your request and make you feel comfortable, like you were right at home. I am glad that you were given that service! The location of our property is great! We are in the middle of it all, within walking distance to all of the action!

We hope that you will return to stay with us again, soon!

Have a great day!

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

For Miami, this was a pretty top hotel. It's a block away from the beach and in a great location for restaurants, bars and nightclubs. We had a bit of trouble when we checked in at midnight, and they gave us the wrong room (we needed two double beds and they gave us one). When we complained the front desk staff told us the hotel was full but that they would sort us out in the morning, which they did. The manager was very nice and gave us a new room the next day, which was better than expected - no complaints at all!
They give you a free happy hour from 7-8 and there's a great sushi restaurant next door. The service was really one of the best things, all the staff were very helpful and nice. Recommended!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Chesterfield Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Good Afternoon Andyislost,

Thank you so much for providing us with your wonderful feedback! Thank you for choosing to stay for us! Our location is great and in the heart of South Beach! We are extremely sorry for the issue that you experienced at the time of check in, but very glad to read that it was resolved! :) Our amenities are great and all of our guests love them! The complimentary cocktail hour is most likely everyone's favorite!
We hope to have you stay with us again soon!

Kind Regards,

Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed here for a couple days and everything was better than expected. Staff was friendly and helpful with everything. Looks like they have their act together across the board. Reasonably priced for South Beach, great location and very nice place to stay!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Hello Msh- Surf,

Thank you for taking your time to post your honest feedback about your recent stay with us! I am very glad to read that you found everything to be better then expected! :) We are always trying to create everlasting memories here at Chesterfield Hotel! Our staff is always eager to assist you and we are glad that you were given such service!

Please come back and stay with us again soon!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Hospitable from the get go as bellman Marcial guided where I could conveniently park curbside in front of the hotel and took care of my bags while I checked in. Upon check-in, Alex was hospitable at the front desk, (provided a beautiful room for me and my guest). He reminded us about the resort fee and the Happy Hour, (resort fee paid for itself with their Happy Hour deal of gratis drinks!) The room itself was modernly appointed, (loved the rainfall shower). I'd strongly recommend the Penthouse, (balcony and private jacuzzi included!) As for location, I really like the Chesterfiled because it is just one block from Ocean Dr, (close enough to walk to, but just far enough away to enjoy a restful nights sleep;-) In case you hadn't figured yet, I'd definitely recommend the Chesterfield to anyone planning a visit to the Miami or South Beach area. Thanks again to the hotel staff.

Room Tip: Treat yourself to the Penthouse!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Good Afternoon Steve C,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your 5 star feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! We are very glad that you were given such great service from Marcial, Alex and the gang!! Our staff is always trying to be as accommodating as possible, so that you feel right at home! I will let them know of your kind praise! We are glad that you were content with your room! The rainfall shower is absolutely amazing!!! Our location is definitely in the heart, yet far enough for a quiet nights rest!

We hope to see you soon!

Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We absolutely loved staying at the Chesterfield. I have stayed in several very nice places in south beach and this was by far my favorite. Our room 301, was great- much bigger then I had imagined. I really enjoyed the impressive stereo system in our room since my friends and I love music. The price was excellent and the staff was gracious. We especially liked Daniel at the front desk. There is also a rooftop area with beds built into the deck- so comfy if you want to escape the sand and seagulls. The hottub was not hot but it did have water and jets, although we did not use it.

The location is great but it's definitely a younger, happening hotel. This is exactly what we wanted as a mini vacation to watch our friends run the ING half marathon. We paid $412 for 2 nights including all charges. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: 301 was a bigger room but the front desk said there would be more noise bc it was in the front of th...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Good Afternoon Kitzer_13,

Your honest feedback is greatly appreciated!! We are very glad to see that you loved staying with us! We are also glad to read that we are your favorite hotel out of all the hotels you've stayed at on South Beach! We love to hear these things from our guests! :) Our staff is great and I will let the mentioned staff know about your kind praise! We are glad that you were able to take some time to enjoy our rooftop area! It's nice to hangout up there! We hope that you would stay with us again!!

We hope to see you soon!

Essex
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Every time I tried to find a positive during my stay it turned against me. I stayed for 2 nights and on my arrival the the guy at the reception Pedro was more concerned about the play list for the bar than checking me in. He started by telling me the hotel was fully booked and arranged for me to go over to the Shelley hotel instead......we went over there and then was sent back to the chesterfield as he had made a mistake.....the Shelley was across the road so carrying our luggage to and from was extremely annoying and Pedro did not handle the situation at all well.

We went to our rooms and they were dimly lit which wasn't a problem but the stench coming from the bathroom was unbearable. We asked to change rooms and Pedro switched us over to a room near by. This room had a dead phone, broken sink, faulty toilet, no Internet and limited tv channels. We were fed up at this point and couldn't be bothered to change again.

Valet service is totally not worth it, we paid $32 and on our request for the car he turned up 45 minutes later having used quite a bit of our petrol too which was noticeable. I know the valet is a separate company but they represent the hotel.

The best thing about the hotel was the location and the free shuttle out of there. Please avoid.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Chesterfield Hotel? Share your experiences!