“Dark and dismal” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #66 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Toms River, New Jersey
“Dark and dismal”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Booked a room for a 'two day getaway'....very disappointed. Paid extra for King size 'quiet room'. Waited a long time for check in and then were 'upgraded' to junior suite. Stayed in room 406 which turned out to be down a long alleyway (a little scary coming back late at night). On first floor so could not open curtains and afraid someone would break in. Very dark room with I guess 'mood lighting'. Could not see anything. Woke to garbage trucks coming into the back alley at 6am. "Spa" on top floor was just a roof with mattress pads on floor and old jacuzzi which struggled to keep temp in the 80s. Paid for 2 nights but left after 1 night. Valet parked our car for $32 and did not realize until stopping on the road an hour later that the valet driver must have had a pen in his pocket and now have permanent ink stains on my light gray leather seats. Will never try this hotel again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Chesterfield Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Good Afternoon Elizabeth C,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!! I am very glad to read that our staff was able to upgrade you to a Junior Suite! There is nothing to be scared of at night around the hotel. We have security 24 hours a day, always making sure that the nights run smooth. We have no had any break in's to any of the rooms here at this hotel, thanks to our guards! The personality of our hotel is very dark and sophisticated! We do provide lamps for those guests who would like more illumination to their room. I apologize that you were woken up by the garbage trucks in the morning. We have spoken to the City of Miami Beach several times to see if they were able to change the route of the truck. We asked if the truck would be able to come around at a later time. They were not able to grant our request as they are on a scheduled route. In regards to the valet parking- they are a separate entity. I would be glad to give you their information so that you could file a complaint about the pen stains. Please let me know.

I look forward in hearing from you.

Katrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Polish first
Heredia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

The Chesterfield is a hotel we chose for a family vacation to Miami Beach.
Pros:
It accomodates, easily 6 people for a reasonable price
Location is very convenient for everything Miami Beach has to offer including the tourist trap known as Ocean Drive (a block away), the beautiful beach and Lincoln Road (about a mile away)
Rooms are well done. Newly renovated, the bathroom is quite nice and the beds (including the sofa bed) are comfortable. Flat screen TV, iPod docking station and mini bar are all available
Clean
Front desk staff, particularly Anna, proved competent when dealing with complaints
Cons:
The valet parking is the worst we have ever experienced. Several times we had to wait over an hour for our car to be delivered
Calling the front desk can prove to be a patience exercise. It can easily take 4 tries to get someone on the other end
The area is shady at night. If you are traveling with children, be ware. It can get rough, we witnessed fights, hookers and a drug bust during our vacation all within the immediate area of the hotel
The I Love Sushi Lounge has a nice enough ambiance (in spite of the aforementioned) with two great bartenders. However the food, what they deem to be sushi is barely consumable
Noise is a real issue. You will encounter college kids partying to the wee hours, paper thin walls and a relentless garbage truck that collects at exactly 7:20AM every morning and makes an effort to leave no one asleep. Do take in to consideration if traveling with kids (again)
No pool

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hello Ticopica,

Thank you so much for posting your honest review on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! We are very glad that you chose to stay with us on your family vacation to Miami. I see that you were 6 in your family and you were all able to be in the room comfortably!! Our location is prime! We are in the heart of South Beach within walking distance to almost everything. I am glad to read that you were given great service by all of our staff and particularly from Anna. I will let her know of your wonderful praise!!! I am going to speak with the manager of the valet company. It is in outside company that we use therefore it is not managed by us. The area where the Chesterfield is located is no where near shady. There is nothing to be afraid of and you are safe to walk on the streets at all times of the night. Miami is well known for everything that you mentioned whether your by the hotel or on other streets.
We are definitely a young and hip hotel but we also cater to the business people, families and everything in between.
Your feedback is greatly appreciated!!

NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

My family and I stayed here for 4 nights during the Alabama vs Notre Dame football game. Two of us thought we had mosquito bites but upon returning, we got more bites and they're bedbugs. We should have left when we saw that the bathtub was dirty in our hotel room. I did check bedbug registry before making a reservation here and there were no reports, but there are, in facts, reports of bedbugs on tripadvisor reviews. Do not stay here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Chesterfield Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Hello Soung C,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated! We are glad that you chose to stay with us for the Alabama vs. Notre Dame football game. We had a lot of guests that were here for that game as well! I apologize that you happen to think that the bites that appeared on your skin was from our hotel. Bed bug bites do not appear on the skin until up to 9 days after the bug had bitten you. We have had no reports of actual bed bugs here at the hotel.

Yaounde, Cameroon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Loved the hotel, the suite 410 but what I liked the most was the outstanding service provided by Pedro at the desk and by Raul the porter. They exceeded our expectations and were always trying to help.
We will come back!!!!

Stayed January 2013
Good Afternoon Henk0383,

Thank you so much for posting your wonderful review on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am very glad that you loved this hotel! That is our goal! We want all of our guests to leave here with that same attitude and nothing but great memories! I will let Pedro and Raul know of your kind praise! Please let me know when you will be in South Beach again and I would love to personally handle your reservation!

We hope to see you soon!

Bellingham, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The staff were very friendly and the location is great; not far from the beach and lots of shopping/restaurants close by. The room was compact, with the bed taking up most of it and not much room else for furniture. If you like to unpack your bags then you'd have to use the closet because there was no bureau or bedstand. They've done a decent job of keeping the hotel clean, but the building shows its age. We were charged for valet parking which we didn't use (corrected at check-out but making us wait while calling the garage even though we had no car). They also charge a resort fee based on having an airport shuttle, a reception at the bar etc., but hardly enough to call this a resort. All considered, this might be a good overnight at the beach but didn't meet our needs for a vacation stop.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Ccdugga,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we are glad that you chose to share it with us and all of our future guests! Our staff is always eager to assist our guests with any of their needs. I am glad to read that you were given such service! We are indeed a boutique hotel therefore our rooms are a bit smaller then your average hotel. I am sorry that there was an error in the system that signified that you had a car. Sometimes these errors happen but I am glad that it was all taken care of and cleared up. We apologize for the time that you lost due to our mistake.

Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Recently stayed two different nights last week for New Year's Eve and then two nights later. The staff was very friendly and professional. Pedro and Marcial helped my friends and I both stays. They were able to give us room upgrades. The rooms were clean and very pretty and stylish. The location was nice as well. I really enjoyed my vacation and I'm glad to write a review for them. -micaela and friends

Room Tip: I liked both my rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Good Afternoon Mcalderon17,

Thank you so much for taking your time to respond to us with your honest feedback! I am extremely glad to read that your stay with us was great! We work hard to ensure that each and every guests departs with such memories!! I will make sure that both Pedro and Michael are aware of your wonderful praise! They are great assets to our team and all of our guests have great things to say about them! We try to accommodate all of our guests and their requests, and I am glad to see that is what you experienced! Our location is great- in the heart of South Beach yet far enough to get a great nights rest! We cannot wait to have you back for a third time! Please let me know when you will be here again and I would love to personally handle your reservation! :)

San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

If you are a group of young people who wants to party a lot and do not care about paying a lot of extra things this hotel is for you. Otherwise, I do not recommend it at all! We had to wait a long time for check in us because nothing was ready in the room. A real sense of disorder and confusion reigned in the lobby. The staff was not nice at all. The $ 15 resort fees are a rip off: they say it is for towels (?), printing your tickets, internet in the lobby (are you kidding me??) But there are none in the rooms! This is ridiculous! The valet parking is 32 dollars.

Room Tip: I stayed at New Yorker hotel days before and I was way cheaper and way better!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Chesterfield Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Hello Marcia G,

Thank you so much for sharing your honest feedback about your recent stay with us! We are very sorry that this hotel was not suited for you. I apologize that your room was not ready the moment that you checked in. When we have a lot of stay overs and late check outs, it makes it a little hard to have each and every room ready exactly at 3PM. We have the room inspected 4 times before putting a room 'clean' in the system. We would hope that you understand that! Valet parking is not mandatory. It's a service that we offer to you, for your convenience. There are several lots, garages and street parking for you to use. We charge $32 per day for you to be able to take your car in and out as many times in a day, that you'd like. The lots and garages charge a set price every time that you want to use your car. We would hope that you would give our group a second chance!

Have a great evening!