“Beware of the bar and don't expect any service” 1 of 5 stars

Chesterfield Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   855 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #78 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Michigan
“Beware of the bar and don't expect any service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2008

Our stay was ruined by the people at the lobby bar. Though we never order mixed drinks, because we were told during check-in that he Chesterfield has a complimentary drink during happy hour , my wife stopped in the lobby during the usual happy hour and ordered two gin and tonics while I was coming down from the room. I got there just as the drinks were being served. I asked the bartender if she needed our room number for the free drinks, and she said they were not free as it was not happy "hour." This occured at 5:00 p.m. on a weeknight. Apparently, unlike everywhere else on the Beach, let alone across the country, they call happy hour 7-8 p.m.

We had not touched our drinks, and so I told her we'd been mistaken, that we only meant to order the happy hour drinks. She became very beligerent immediately and told us that we had to pay for them. I just wanted to be done with it, so I asked her how much. She wanted $18.00 for two watery well drinks. That was too ridiculous to tolerate, and at this point she called over her "manager," who I gather was really some sort of assistant manager, who threatened us with some sort of unspecified negative consequences if we didn't pay for the drinks and berated us for thinking happy hour would be more than one hour. Though I told them both what good and regular customers we've been of South Beach Group hotels over the years (the Chesterfield is one of these, others are the Mercury, Shelley, Catalina, Metropole, Chelsea, and Whitelaw), they said that they did not care, since their bar was a separate business.

I paid them to put an end to the commotion. Then I went over to see the hotel's Front Desk Manager, who had witnessed the whole thing, and asked her to please do something about it. She said that she could not, but that she would talk to the manager above her. Nothing whatsoever came of this.

It may be true that the people at the lobby bar feel free to treat the hotel's good customers in a rude, insensitive, and aggressive manner because they are not part of its business. That makes it the hotel's problem for allowing them in its lobby. We have stayed very many times at South Beach Group hotels, especially the Mercury, over many years. Often several times a year. But, in light of this, my wife and I have decided never to do so again. I dont' know what their margin is on a room, but I suspect it's well more than $20. In my opinion, their staff was penny-wise, but pound foolish.

• Liked — The price.
  • Disliked — The service.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Polish first
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2008

I can't believe this place got such bad reviews on here! After reading the mixed reviews I didn't expect much from the Chesterfield. We wanted a hotel in a good sobe location. For the price the place was great!! We only went for 1 night as a stopover before catching a cruise. We paid $110 plus tax (worked out to about $130 + we had to pay a $5 "resort fee" to the hotel when we checked out). This was the same price as some 1 and 2 stars. It's a typical "boutique" hotel - small yes - but really funky and cool. AMAZING location!!! We would definately stay again. Right in the middle of everything. Around the corner from the beach - really cool outdoor resturants facing the beach, lots of shops, etc. We were torn between the chesterfield and the chelsea (since they were around the same price - found out after they're owned by the same person) - we saw the chealsea when we were down there - looks cute too but the location is nowhere nearly as good.

Now - here's the nitty gritty - when you get there you can pull up in front to check in. Free parking for 15 mins or so. There is free parking on the street till 8 am - but they will ticket right at 8 - so if you think you're gonna sleep in it's not worth it. The hotel charges $30 valet but that's not worth it - there's a public lot 2 blocks (short blocks) up at Collins & 7th - they charge $1 an hour up to a $12 daily max. I'm sure the valet would end up taking your car to the same lot because I can't see where else they would park it. The hotel is REALLY loud! So if you're looking for an early night forget it. There is a dj booth and funky couches right in the lobby -and the rooms are just up the hall. We got back to the room at about 4 am and the music was still blaring and people were still there drinking. Cool vibe though. Bars stay open till 5 am in sobe. We stayed in the adjacent part of the hotel (called hotel leon - but it's the same hotel) -that was way more quiet in an inner couryard type thing. Really pretty with lots of greenery and flowers. It was AMAZING!! Ask for a room in the "500" block - those are the biggest ones for the price. Big plasma tv, funky shower (not with the weird curtains like other reviewers mentioned - those are in the rooms in the actual chesterfield), jacuzzi tub, fresh flowers around the room. Really really nice (again - for the price - it's not a 5 star - you can see some parts where the paint is a bit flaky but that's ok - where else are you gonna stay that is that cheap in such an amazing location that is really funky and cool?). The front desk staff was sooo friendly and nice. When we checked out there were people asking for late check out and the front desk staff said they could check out at noon rather than the posted 11 am.

They did take a print out of our credit card (like other reviewers said) - but when we checked out we just asked for it back and they gave us the whole slip back and we ripped it up. So no worries.

Overall I'd pay up to about $130+tax for this hotel. I went into hotwire and tried bidding up to $110 + tax for a 3 star or better in sobe and nothing came up. The chesterfield is totally worth it. I was really pleased with it for the price of $110. Again though - if you stay there I would suggest asking for a room in the 500 block at hotel leon next door (or if you book thru expedia put that a request in the request section). I saw the rooms in the front area where the lobby etc. is and they were way smaller than the 2 rooms I saw in the 500 block at the hotel leon section.

Enjoy! :)

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — pushy guy in the bar at the side (not hotel bar)
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Munich
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2008

What a dump this hotel turned out to be! The rooms are stylishly done but don't look too closely! We checked in and changed rooms after the first night as our room was located across from the hotel bar which stays open all night with music blaring! The staff was incredibly unfriendly and forget trying to talk to them as a) they don't speak English all too well and b) the music in the hotel lobby is at peak volume all day long. I think that is the method to their madness - it is supposed to shy people away from approaching the front desk! The manager was not all helpful and all but called me a liar when I told her the shape of the room we were in. When we moved rooms, we discovered our new room had not been cleaned from the prior guest. I asked the front desk on 3 seperate occasions to inspect it and clean it but the room was never touched! I was forced to sleep on dirty sheets from another guest - had it not been so cold outside, I would have prefered a night on the beach! Don't stay at this hotel if you want warm showers either! Up your budget if you can and go with a name hotel, you'll enjoy your stay in SoBe so much more!! Word to the wise!

Stayed January 2008
travelerzindc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2008

here is the list of reasons to never consider this hotel:

Unapologetic arrogant staff

dismal valet service "waited 60 minutes for our car"

worst most unidentifiably nasty odor in the room we have ever experienced.

morning wake up to cigarette buts and cigars all over the halls

nastiest hot tub you have ever seen on the "roof deck" what a joke that was

need to say again how horrible and unaccommodating the staff was. rude
rude rude.

best part was leaving.

never never never never ever stay here. they don't deserve your money.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2008

We've stayed at other South Beach Group Hotels, so decided to try the Chesterfield. Our room was very very small, but we booked it through Expedia and got a great deal, so can't complain. We were on the ground floor of the building next door in a newly renovated room. It was clean, comfortable (despite being small), and had a nice tv. The location is great, next to everything. For the price, i'd stay here again. I can't say the maid service is great -they did not clean our room, but did replace our used wine glasses. I can guess they probably did not clean the room because there was not enough room to actually clean it!

Stayed January 2008
Grand Cayman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2007

Myself and my boyfriend live in the Cayman Island an island which is famous due to its excellent hotels and hospitality , so when we go on trips we expect excellent service, and our stay at the Chesterfield was not a disappointment, it was only after i booked the hotel i stumbled across this website and read the reviews on the Chesterfield i was worried but decided to try the hotel anyways, and im glad i did everything from the moment we arrived was excellent the people at the front desk were always nothing but helpful, the atmosphere at the bar was good and service was quick, yes the free drinks for happy hour are just vodka rum and gin but there free and your in south beach what on earth else could you expect, there strong and get served with a smile from a bar tender that remembers your drink of choice from one night to the next. The rooms are clean and comfy the beds are lovely the rooms are not huge but with the price you pay you can not expect them to be. The rooms do look like the pictures on the chesterfield website. I would recommend this hotel to people but im 24 and in south beach for a fun time not a long time.

• Liked — The Friendly Staff and relaxed athmosphere
  • Disliked — nothing i was quiet happy with everything
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2007

Almost no one speaks English here, and the noise level is so loud that no one can hear you anyway. We reserved a suite, but the staff tried to make us take a room with a bathtub in the middle of the room. When we didn't like that, they tried to give us a room that reeked of mildew. The elevator doesn't work reliably, so we ended up taking the stairs most of the time. The noise was incessant, either from their lobby music or from the power drills or from the garbage and delivery trucks in the alley. The bellhops watch you struggle with your bags and won't help unless you force them to. If you ask for repairs or amenities for your room, no one comes, so you have go downstairs to find a manager who speaks English, and then they tell you that everyone's gone after 10 pm and you'll have to wait until morning. And if you ask them to turn down the techno blast so you can sleep, they just look at you like the problem's with you, not the hotel.

Their website offers a 25% discount for stays over 5 days; they refused to honor that offer, even though we stayed a total of 8 days. Their reason? The days had to be consecutive, but there's nothing that said that on their website!

The beds were comfortable and the sheets were nice, but it was so loud we couldn't sleep, so why did they bother? They offer HDTV, but they only have basic cable, so why did they bother? Our room had a jacuzzi, but it wasn't hooked up, so why did they bother? If you can find a better place to stay in Miami, why should *you* bother?

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Chesterfield Hotel? Share your experiences!