“Modern Day Throwback to 1950's South Beach Miami!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #34 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Modern Day Throwback to 1950's South Beach Miami!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

this is an original Miami hotel that was purchased by wyndham, then renovated to look like a 1950's circa hotel. the result is amazing! furnishings very nice, location excellent, bar very original, everything about this hotel is incredible. including personal service by the GM Eddie, he was somehow there whenever we needed him, wow you don't get this service everywhere (anywhere?). Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Lake Forest, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The hotel is lovely and is in a great location within walking distance to everything. There is a good size pool and you can walk right to the beach. The front desk staff, the bellmen and concierge are very good, professional and very attentive. However when you get to the pool and beach, the staff there is the opposite. Sitting around, not attentive. The first day we got there and sat to have lunch at the grill, they were out of iced tea, sparkling water and couldn't serve the tacos cause they were out of pork. Also, we ordered a margarita that was $15.50 in a plastic cup and no garnish. After looking at the check, they added premium tequila for an additional charge, which we never asked for. The drink was terrible too. We sat at the pool with not one of the staff coming to ask if we wanted anything to drink. We flagged them down, ordered a few drinks and then they never came back to get the plastic cups that now were flying in the wind. The second day we decided to go to the beach and the staff there was out of chaise covers. They compensated with giving us more towels, but then ran out of towels. The staff at the pool and beach need to be trained or replaced. Personally I think they are a bunch of irresponsible young kids. The busboy had a huge stain on his striped top and never once changed it all day. At least go the bathroom and wash it off and it will dry in the hot weather as he is wearing it. The prices are aligned with better hotels in the area and they shouldn't be. The Shelborne shouldn't charge more for their food and drink than the 5 star hotel down the street that costs $900 per night. They should be less.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

Nils S, General Manager at Shelborne Wyndham Grand South Beach, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Hello Patty L,

I am taken back by the way you were serviced in our pool/beach areas. What you have described is definitely not the level of service expected at Shelborne Wyndham Grand. Our pool/beach department has taken your feedback into high consideration and has addressed the issues mentioned. It is unfortunate this happened during your stay, and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. I invite you to contact me directly during your next visit, I would like to take care of you and your guest personally. Given a second opportunity, I have great confidence that our staff will not disappoint.

Iowa City, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I stayed here during a business trip hoping to catch a few moments in the sun. But so many little things went wrong that it's really hard to recommend this hotel when there are so many others in this price range on the beach. As others have mentioned, the rooms are small and the bathrooms even smaller - two people could not fit in there at the same time. There is no tub, only a shower, so forget a relaxing soak. The wifi was intermittent and totally gone on Sunday - not because there was no signal but because the hotel's pop-up menu agreeing to their terms and conditions would never load. When I called downstairs, guest services basically laughed when I requested tech support on a Sunday. The thermostat did not work in my room - I had it set at 72 degrees but it never went above 64 degrees so I was either freezing or I turned the AC off and was hot. Some but not all TV channels worked on the flatscreen TV. My security lock did not work on my door. Then there was the outdoor pool and beach staff. First, I was told that the pool closes at sunset (???) even though music continued to blare out of the pool area all night. SInce I had meetings during the day, this would have effectively prevented me from using the pool, but I convinced them to let me in one night. Very strange policy, since my last hotel stay in Coral Gables was at a fabulous Marriott where the pool was open all night. Then there was the beach staff. I got up early on Sunday to hit the beach in front of the hotel. It is not "open" until 9:30 so no towels until then. So I took a walk and a swim until then. When I returned and sat on a lounge chair, I was told that my chair was "reserved" and I would have to move. So I moved, got a towel order, then was told a SECOND time that the place I was sitting was reserved and i would have to move even farther back from the beach. Mind you, there is virtually no one out there at this point and there are no signs anywhere telling you anything is reserved. Since everyone is paying a $25/day resort fee, it hardly seems fair that the pool closes early and its impossible to find an open place to sit on the empty beach. No one wants to get rudely accosted by staff on the beach either.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Nils S, General Manager at Shelborne Wyndham Grand South Beach, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Hello gingerpye1,

I am very sorry that your room size was not up to your expectations. It is both a blessing and a curse to be a landmark property on Collins Ave Miami beach. A lot of these properties are deemed land marks and like museums sustain their splendor inclusive of the iconic infrastructure. I am saddened that you were treated in such a way by our beach staff, we strive to stand out in service levels. What you have described is definitely not it, and has been addressed accordingly. I invite you to contact our guest services department at your earliest convenience. I will make sure something is done about resort fees appointed during your stay. We hope that these incidents did not steer you away from visiting us again and promise a better experience next time.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

great location. small rooms and bathrooms. nice renovation. pool and beach are excellent. pricy after all the fees and taxes.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

Hello Michael C,

Thank you for your positive feedback, we are pleased you were able to enjoy our pool and beach areas. We hope to see you return soon for more fun in the sun!

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We were at the Shelborne Wyndham in Miami Beach for 4 days at the end of February 2015. The trip was primarily for pleasure, relaxation and heat (coming from -40 degrees celsius weather). I had made two reservations up to one week before, one at this hotel, and another on busier Ocean Drive. Needless to say, the cost of this one was much higher, but in the end we were so happy to have chosen this hotel.
Why?
1. Room: although initially we were given a pretty small room with a huge bathroom, my husband spoke to the someone at reception the night we arrived who told that we would be put on a waiting list. Since there was no new the next day, we spoke to a very kind young man at the reception who changed our room. It was larger and had a balcony, which we preferred although the bathroom was smaller. Waking up to the ocean view was magnificent.There is a bar fridge which we used to keep our water and fruits cold. The decor is art deco, modern and there was a recent renovation to the hotel. I loved all the black&white photos everywhere.
2. Area: quiet, yet close enough to get to anything if you don't mind walking, including shopping, drug stores and a deli on a street nearby where we purchased fruits, yogurts and smoothies for breakfast and snacks. Lincoln Road Mall is a few streets away and it was our preferred place for supper every night . Behind the hotel is a boardwalk which you can follow all the way to Lummus park and the South Pointe Pier.
3. Pool and Beach: No need to reserve seats at either location although the pool was more crowded late morning and early afternoon. At the beach, as guests of the hotels, we have free chairs. Umbrella rental is extra. In both locations there is excellent service including the towels and mattress sheets, as well as food and drink.
Other comments:
Parking: expensive but goes with the area; there is valet service, we needed to text a message about 15 min ahead of time. Excellent service.
Concierge: Good information about time and location regarding the Art Deco tour, would have liked more information about local markets as we needed to figure out the bit about the deli by asking local people
Fitness Room and Spa: Used the fitness room daily; did not use the Spa services although noted quite a nice menu. I see now that there is a fitness schedule on the hotel website, which I would certainly have enjoyed; hopefully this information is provided to guests, but if not it's under the Pamper option
Overall great experience. Would we return to the same hotel? If the price is right!

Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Hello Daisy970,

I am glad you were able to escape the grips of the cold for an interlude of fun in the sun! We are also thrilled you were able to enjoy such lovely views from our balcony's as well as the retro-chic design features seen throughout the property. Our property is truly a gem, ideally located where a guest can bask in the luxurious comforts Miami beach has to offer. We appreciate your kind words towards our pool,beach,concierge and valet team and hope to see you back at our property soon. Do not hesitate in contacting us for your next visit to Miami, we have great opportunities for return guests that you would appreciate!

Gloucester, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW via mobile

I Have one more night here at the Shelborne. Mostly the service has been good. However, there are a few things that do not work. I realize the mattresses must be kept clean...but the waterproof mattress pads make it too hot to sleep. Every night I have spent here at this hotel I've awakened drenched with sweat. This does not happen anywhere else unless there is a waterproof pad on the bed. Many people have problems sleeping on these plastic coated pads. It is so uncomfortable.
The room is tiny...doesn't really bother me...but the bathroom is so so tiny..wow! Water leaks from shower all over floor, faucet in sink splashes all over the place and on my clothes, shampoo etc. never replaced ever during my stay (4 nights). Glasses not washed. Hand Towels not replaced daily.
The staff here is great..pool, lunch, and especially the beach staff. Very pleasant people. Love the decor.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Nils S, General Manager at Shelborne Wyndham Grand South Beach, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Hello Diane C,

We are very sorry you were inconvenienced by our mattresses. As you remarked these are precautions we take in order to maintain a certain level of cleanliness. That being said we are not taking your feedback lightly and investigating cooler alternatives in order to accommodate guests such as yourself. I am very pleased that you have found our staff to be pleasant, as they do strive to be as kind and courteous as possible. I will however address our housekeeping team about diligent and detailed servicing of guest rooms. You should not have had an issue like interrupted servicing unless dictated by a "do not disturb" sign on the door. I hope your last day with us is an enjoyable one, and that we can see you back at the Shelborne Wyndham Grand for your next visit to Miami.

boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We spent three nights at the Shelborne recently and were seriously disappointed, mostly by the rude and absent service. It began at check-in. In our reservation, made on their website, I had asked for a quiet room and we were given a room directly behind the elevator, perhaps the noisiest room in the hotel (and it was not ready by 4 pm check in). Three hours later we were "upgraded" to a room with a fabulous view that was much smaller -- smallest bathroom I have ever encountered and there were four of us. The room itself was fine, nothing special but fine, and the view was terrific. But the service throughout was seriously lacking. One day at the pool, one of the workers closed the umbrella we were under (it was about 5 pm, and the pool was not closing) and did it to several other guests as well. The service at the pool bar and beach was slow and rude, and after my daughter lost her kindle at the pool (never recovered even though we were about the only people at the pool at the time), she was not allowed to borrow a book from the lobby library, told she could read the book only in the lobby. When we arrived for lunch at the very good restaurant, the hostess could not have been more put out, even though there were only two tables in the restaurant. One night we called housekeeping for a toothbrush, and they never brought it up. Valet took 30 mins, housekeeping took our robe and toiletries without replacing them . . . every step it felt like we were inconveniencing them. The place was also quite dead -- the lovely bar never had more than two people in it (perhaps the $20 martinis had something to do with it), the pool bar closes early, the pool at sunset (we were also kicked out of the pool one night). Walking along the boardwalk all of the nearby hotels had active pool scenes . There was also no business center, and we did not even want to check to find out what the cost to print a document might have been. The $25 resort fee includes chairs but not the umbrella (be nice if you could find this out somewhere beforehand, could not find it on the website), and we were charged the full fee the first night even though we did not get into our room until after the beach area was closed. And they blocked one of the elevators for two days for moving in some tenants, making the valet wait I guess not so bad. All in all, the whole time, I just felt like we had chosen wrong, or done something wrong while we were there. It did not ruin our vacation (nice beach, lovely weather, fun city) but it did take away from it considerably. My sense is that most of the hotels in the area are similar in character -- Art Deco, smallish rooms, nice pools so pick carefully. This pool was one of the smaller ones in the area, crowded but we were able to find chairs, and this hotel is further down Collins Ave. (18th St.) than most though it is not a far walk. Over the years, we have stayed at a number of comparably priced high end hotels and the service here was by far the worst we have ever encountered, so choose wisely.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Hello BostonTodc,

I am truly disappointed to see that your experience at our property was hindered by shortcomings on our behalf. I have taken your feedback with great consideration and have personally addressed all matters listed with individuals in our team. From our guest service team addressing your specific room request to our housekeeping department being diligent with servicing rooms as well as the pool staff being courteous and timely when addressing guest. This absolutely is not how we normally operate as we are regularly complimented on staff kindness and attention to detail. In regards to your daughter's Kindle I believe we have found it and stored in our lost and found department. You will be contacted directly in which case we can identify and return to you. Again I am truly sorry, and would like for you to contact me directly when planning your next visit to Miami. Both our staff and I would like to invite you back in order for you to experience the true level of service we are capable of achieving.

Nils Stolzlechner

Been to Shelborne Wyndham Grand South Beach? Share your experiences!