“worst hotel experience ever” 1 of 5 stars

Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #160 of 201 hotels in Miami Beach
Pembroke Pines
“worst hotel experience ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

It is unimaginable that a Wyndham property would rent a room (at ful price) in a property that is currently undergoing major renovations. There was mold in the room. Hotel was operating on a skeleton crew. TVs and decorations had already been removed from the property. Most ammenities were not available. It was a nightmare.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

Nicollette d, Group Sales Coordinator at Shelborne South Beach, Wyndham Affiliate, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
On behalf of the entire Shelborne Team, I would like to apologize for your less than exemplary experience at our hotel. We are taking your detailed feedback very seriously as our goal is to provide exceptional service and create remarkable experiences for all our guests. You are correct, we were implementing steps in preparation for our extensive renovation and we are truly sorry to hear it affected your stay. We hope you will give us another chance so you can experience the newest unique lifestyle luxury resort opening Winter 2013 officially under the Wyndham Flagship. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

469 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

First impressions look great, the fountain was great, but once you step inside and wait to be checked in, its all downhill from there. I was visiting with a few work colleagues from NYC. The rooms were terrible, the carpeting was the kind of carpeting you find in offices, cheap and nasty. The quality of the room furniture was bad. The bathroom did not have an extractor fan, and in the whole room you could not find a full length mirror.
Pool area was the best of all the amenities. Not big not small but average size. Mixed bag of people were there, from families with babies, to groups of guys and girls partying to not well known celebrities.
My overall impression of the hotel was poor. But it was a bonus they severed a continental breakfast, so the coffee and muffins etc.
I think this is the perfect hotel for people who are going to get wasted / and be binge drinking for the majority of their trip. This is not the hotel for couples who want a retreat.

Room Tip: We were a large group of ladies, so we saw a few rooms, both were of the same standard - POOR!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

The absolute worst hotel experience that I have ever had. Ants were crawling over the bed, dresser, desk, and bathroom floor. Room smelled like complete mildew. Had to Request wash cloths everyday of my stay. Told one day that the entire hotel was out of wash clothes and that there was nothing that they could do. Floors were not vacuumed and sheets were dirty. Managers were never available and we were constantly told, "sorry, no manager on site today." I will NEVER stay at another Wyndam hotel in my life! Was told to "run from this hotel" when I first checked in...wish I would have listened.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guest, Here at the Shelborne we take customer service very seriously and we find it disappointing to hear about your experience with housekeeping managers. The Hotel will be undergo an extensive, multi-million dollar renovation starting that will transform the property into a luxurious, full-service Wyndham Grand® Resort Hotel. The project is expected to be completed Winter 2013. We greatly appreciate your honest feedback and we would like to make it up to you. Once again, I apologize for the challenges you encountered during your stay and if you’d like feel free to contact me directly if you wish to discuss the matter further.
Norwalk, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I was charged double for my room, had to get my bank involved to get my money back....which was a 2-month process. They also lost my reservation...good thing they had a room left and that I had an email to prove it. Also dirty...when we arrived, our feet were black within minutes of walking around our hotel room without shoes on. Only thing good about this hotel is the location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay. Your comments regarding the billing process/double charge will be relayed to our front desk managers in order to further address the issue. I am sorry to hear about the challenges you and although the process took a bit of time I am thankful we were able to correct the matter for you. Thank you for your patience and we hope we could turn your experience into a positive one sometime in the near future when we re-open as the Shelborne Wyndham Grand South Beach.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

The most miserable excuse for a hotel ever. They think they can pimp out the lobby a bit and call themselves a resort?

I stayed there last summer because of the proximity to Miami Fashion Week. Inside the room, there was a broken chair already collapsed on the floor, patched (almost) cracks on the walls and ceiling.

The staff was beyond clueless and incompetent. They couldn't tell where anything was or where any events were that were advertised.

Against my better judgment, I booked it again back in May for this July. Only TODAY ( a week before I am supposed to arrive) do they inform me that they are closing the hotel at that time (I had already called a few days ago to reconfirm everything would be open) and now I have to scramble and pay 3X the price for another room.

CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED!!! Even if you think you have confirmed a booking, they will screw you over at the last minute!!! Stay far far away from this place and any property they manage.

Room Tip: Tip for a good room would be to go elsewhere
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, I would like to take a moment and personally apologize for the inconvenience you encountered with your reservation in July, it was always our intention to remain open with only one tower under renovations at a time. However we were advised to all of the sudden shut down the property forcing us to relocate all future renovations in such short notice. On behalf of the Shelborne we sincerely apologize and would love to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future once we re-open officially part of the Wyndham Grand Collection. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally and I will be more than happy to accommodate a stay for you. Hope you have a wonderful end of Summer.

Been to Shelborne South Beach, Wyndham Affiliate? Share your experiences!