“Ocean Breeze” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #156 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Oak Lawn, Illinois
“Ocean Breeze”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This was my second time staying at the Shelborne and again a beautiful stay with an ocean front room with a balcony. The room was beautiful and of all the places I have stayed on Collins Ave the air works GREAT in the room. The people at the front desk are sooo nice. The pool & beach are really nice. I really liked the steak tacos at the pool area. This location is good for walking to Lincoln Road to shop & eat. Vicky who is the concierge is such a nice person she make sure you are taken care of th enjy your stay with them Can't say enough about this hotel . Can't wait to go back in November!!

Room Tip: Pick a room on the street side with a balcony a little higher for a great view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Nicollette d, Group Sales Coordinator at Shelborne South Beach, Wyndham Affiliate, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Lina K, I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for your loyalty and for sharing your impression with everyone. We appreciate your kind words and we look forward to passing this recognition to Vicky as well as the entire Front Desk Team. We work hard to train our staff to deliver quality service to ensure our guests have memorable experience and it’s wonderful to hear that we have been able to accomplish this for you during your multiple visits. Once again thank you for being such a loyal customer and we look forward to having you back in November.

467 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed in a renovated vacation rental and we had an incredibly time. The room was fine, it had been renovated on the cheap but was clean and had good air, the bathrooms are small. I believe the hotel rooms are being completely redone soon, and can't vouch for all the rooms. The hotel itself though was fantastic, the pool is beautiful, as was the beach and chairs and towels were always available. The staff was the best part, I thought everyone was very helpful, warm and friendly. We will definitely stay here again, as the rooms are 1/10th of our vacation, the rest of it depends on the property amenities and of course location - which is excellent.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Pubgirl23, Thank you for being our guest and taking the time to post your feedback. We appreciate all feedback so we can continue to improve guest experiences. We will actually be undergoing renovations over the summer and we would love to have you back so you could experience the newest lifestyle luxury resort in South Beach. Thank you for taking the time to post this review and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again.
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

This was by far the worse place that I have ever stayed. Both my friend and I had money stolen from our rooms. When I spoke with the front desk, instead of apologizing they accused my friends of taking my money!

Furthermore, the lighting in the room was terrible and the carpets were extremely dirty. The bathroom was the only area with a mirror, which was cracked and repaired with duct tape. Also there was broken microwave in our closet.

When we asked for toilet paper or tissue, housekeeping would tell us they didn't have any and we'd have to call the front desk.

Lastly, checkout is at 12PM and by 12:05PM the front desk was banging on our door to kick us out.

This place is only surface nice, with a redone lobby but once you get into your actual room everything is gross.

My advice would be to stay away!

Room Tip: Sleep somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We made plans to stay at the Shelborne through Sunspot Miami Rentals about 5 months before our reservation. Then 5 days before our arrival we recived an email that they recieved and email that Shelbourne will undergo renovations for 3 months starting 2 days before we arrive.

We asked to be accomidated to any of the other properties basically they did not accommodate us and we just got the shove. We had to quickly find another hotel, which was the President Hotel, which was a horrible hotel as well.

I think that was bad business and I DO NOT recommed it to anyone, especially when they could not accommodate for something that was not OUR fault, especially 5 days before our vacation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

If you're going to South Beach for a good time, you need to be on Collins ave. Our hotel was perfectly located where most places were in walking distance. The Shelborne also has an amazing pool with rentable cabanas. The beach is just a few steps away from the beach. The staff was more than accomadating. Especially the staff at the pool and pool bar. The bartender Aldo was our favorite, he made us feel right at home! This is a good hotel but the real gems in it are the staff. The only downfall i saw in this hotel eas room size. If you don't plan on being in your room often (why would you in Miami anyway?) Shelborne is a good stay.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Laceywe, On behalf of the Shelborne Team, we would like to take a moment and thank you for your gracious comments. Our goal is to create unforgettable memories for our guests and I am pleased to hear we accomplished this for you. We truly appreciate the time you took to post this review and we will make sure to relay the wonderful comments you made to our team. We look forward to having you back in the near future!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I was coming into Miami for business, but I was arriving on a Saturday with no agenda whatsoever. I was SO excited to get checked into the hotel, into my bathing suit, and to the beach.

My flight was delayed 2 hours, so i was cranky to begin with, but when I arrived at the Shelborne, I was instantly optomistic. The loby is GORGEOUS. Very Miami-feeling. My coworkers were meandering around, killing time, grabbing lunch (since their flights arrived on time... cool...). They said we weren't allowed to check into the Shelborne yet since it was only noon and they had to clean the rooms. Fair enough. After all it was Saturday... I threw on some shorts in the bathroom, and then ran to meet them for lunch.

Came back 1 1/2 hours later... now it's 1:30p. Can we check in yet? Nope... no rooms ready yet. We asked for our bags so we could throw on our bathing suits, and went into the bathroom to do so. By this point, the pool party (club) had trickled into the loby, and the bathroom looked like... well... the bathroom of a nightclub. I made my way into a tight stall, layed my suitcase on the wet floor, and pulled out my suit and tried to get it on my sweaty sweaty self since the bathroom was not air conditioned well. I re-checked my suitcase again, and the woman behind the desk took down our phone # to call us when our rooms were ready.

The beach was beautiful. We grabbed 4 chaise lounges, loaded up on sunblock, and began to relax. The cabana on the beach told us that they were out of towels, and that we could go back to the pool to procure one. My first thought was... as the towl stand on the beach... shouldn't they do that? But the teal blue water and the cool breeze calmed me so i just air-dried. 1st world problems... We hung out at the beach from 2p-5:30p, and received no call that our room was ready. We walked back over to the loby, and by this point, it looked like a European train station. People were laying on the floors, benches, all over the place, waiting and looking really annoyed.

We walked up to the front desk (taking the route around the hotel since the pool area was such a mobscene... there we saw the crime scene unit clearly targeting our pool... cool...) and were told that there were no rooms for us at the Shelborne that night. Apparently the top floor had flooded... yet their was no rain? We were given the option to either stay at the South Seas, or the Mar.... I forget the rest. We hit the roof. There was no indication of this at all from anyone during the whole day of stopping by the front desk. Not to mention, the South Seas was less expensive and lower rated... so why would we pay them full price for that?

My co-worker spoke to another couple who they did the same thing the previous night- they were put up at the hotel across the street. They came back on Saturday when they were guaranteed that the Shelborne would have a nice room ready for them. They didn't have a room... and their hotel across the street was now booked. They were screwed.

We went to check out the South Seas... and were surprised by how nice the people at the front desk were. The rooms were PERFECTLY adequite, and we did our bed bug check... came up clean. The pool area was gorgeous, and again, the people at South Seas (less expensive than the Shelborne) were SO apologetic for what the Shelborne put us through... and they really didn't have to be. There was no affiliation between the two hotels. We dragged our bags down the street, and checked into South Seas. Once we got settled, we checked to see if they had rooms for the duration of our stay... and we stayed there.

I tend to stay at Wyndham properties 2x/wk for business as a rule. This Wyndham property was the biggest let-down ever. Stay a few doors down and walk over if the pool party is your scene. These guys SUCK.

Room Tip: Stay down the street. This place is incouragible.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Where do I start... my husband and I stayed at the Shelborne for 3 nights and honestly could not wait to get out of there.

Upon arriving, we were given an 'upgrade' without asking for it (which appears to be the usual spill by the front the desk staff) This was really a downgrade.

We had a room on the 16th floor which was suppose to have a view. Coming out of the lift the walls and ceiling were pulled back and wires exposed everywhere.

I had no expectations when I checked in but after walking into our room I got the shock of my life. The furniture was almost all damaged in some way and the beds were roughly made up as if it was , the bathroom was not cleaned properly so there were hairs everywhere and there was a overkill smell of bleach.

When we jumped in the shower the temperature would change constantly from ice cold to boiling hot, it was absolutely horrible.

Room Tip: Beware of upgrades
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Shelborne South Beach, Wyndham Affiliate? Share your experiences!