“Terrible, horrible, no good very bad stay” 1 of 5 stars

Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #150 of 197 hotels in Miami Beach
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Terrible, horrible, no good very bad stay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I was coming into Miami for business, but I was arriving on a Saturday with no agenda whatsoever. I was SO excited to get checked into the hotel, into my bathing suit, and to the beach.

My flight was delayed 2 hours, so i was cranky to begin with, but when I arrived at the Shelborne, I was instantly optomistic. The loby is GORGEOUS. Very Miami-feeling. My coworkers were meandering around, killing time, grabbing lunch (since their flights arrived on time... cool...). They said we weren't allowed to check into the Shelborne yet since it was only noon and they had to clean the rooms. Fair enough. After all it was Saturday... I threw on some shorts in the bathroom, and then ran to meet them for lunch.

Came back 1 1/2 hours later... now it's 1:30p. Can we check in yet? Nope... no rooms ready yet. We asked for our bags so we could throw on our bathing suits, and went into the bathroom to do so. By this point, the pool party (club) had trickled into the loby, and the bathroom looked like... well... the bathroom of a nightclub. I made my way into a tight stall, layed my suitcase on the wet floor, and pulled out my suit and tried to get it on my sweaty sweaty self since the bathroom was not air conditioned well. I re-checked my suitcase again, and the woman behind the desk took down our phone # to call us when our rooms were ready.

The beach was beautiful. We grabbed 4 chaise lounges, loaded up on sunblock, and began to relax. The cabana on the beach told us that they were out of towels, and that we could go back to the pool to procure one. My first thought was... as the towl stand on the beach... shouldn't they do that? But the teal blue water and the cool breeze calmed me so i just air-dried. 1st world problems... We hung out at the beach from 2p-5:30p, and received no call that our room was ready. We walked back over to the loby, and by this point, it looked like a European train station. People were laying on the floors, benches, all over the place, waiting and looking really annoyed.

We walked up to the front desk (taking the route around the hotel since the pool area was such a mobscene... there we saw the crime scene unit clearly targeting our pool... cool...) and were told that there were no rooms for us at the Shelborne that night. Apparently the top floor had flooded... yet their was no rain? We were given the option to either stay at the South Seas, or the Mar.... I forget the rest. We hit the roof. There was no indication of this at all from anyone during the whole day of stopping by the front desk. Not to mention, the South Seas was less expensive and lower rated... so why would we pay them full price for that?

My co-worker spoke to another couple who they did the same thing the previous night- they were put up at the hotel across the street. They came back on Saturday when they were guaranteed that the Shelborne would have a nice room ready for them. They didn't have a room... and their hotel across the street was now booked. They were screwed.

We went to check out the South Seas... and were surprised by how nice the people at the front desk were. The rooms were PERFECTLY adequite, and we did our bed bug check... came up clean. The pool area was gorgeous, and again, the people at South Seas (less expensive than the Shelborne) were SO apologetic for what the Shelborne put us through... and they really didn't have to be. There was no affiliation between the two hotels. We dragged our bags down the street, and checked into South Seas. Once we got settled, we checked to see if they had rooms for the duration of our stay... and we stayed there.

I tend to stay at Wyndham properties 2x/wk for business as a rule. This Wyndham property was the biggest let-down ever. Stay a few doors down and walk over if the pool party is your scene. These guys SUCK.

Room Tip: Stay down the street. This place is incouragible.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

464 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Where do I start... my husband and I stayed at the Shelborne for 3 nights and honestly could not wait to get out of there.

Upon arriving, we were given an 'upgrade' without asking for it (which appears to be the usual spill by the front the desk staff) This was really a downgrade.

We had a room on the 16th floor which was suppose to have a view. Coming out of the lift the walls and ceiling were pulled back and wires exposed everywhere.

I had no expectations when I checked in but after walking into our room I got the shock of my life. The furniture was almost all damaged in some way and the beds were roughly made up as if it was , the bathroom was not cleaned properly so there were hairs everywhere and there was a overkill smell of bleach.

When we jumped in the shower the temperature would change constantly from ice cold to boiling hot, it was absolutely horrible.

Room Tip: Beware of upgrades
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

‘WOW!!’ was what i thought when we first arrived. The foyer, reception area, bar/lounge, & pool looked fantastic – just like on the web site.

We were asked if we were celebrating a special occasion & after letting them know it was our honeymoon we were told we would be upgraded as “you won’t be happy with the room you booked”. At this point I became worried.

On every level the skirting had been ripped off & not replaced. On one level there was some material hanging in place of a proper ceiling.

The 2 lifts were constantly breaking down.

Our upgraded room (we laugh at the term “upgraded”) – room/décor/finishing looked nothing like any of the rooms on their web site and was in a very poor state.
• door was slightly too small for the frame
• door and skirting in room was heavily scratched and gouged with rough paintwork , some parts not even painted
• back of door was badly damaged from where a previous lock had been ripped off
• one old single seat vinyl lounge with a large tear in it
• dusty old heavy curtains
• tiny disgusting bathroom. Areas with poorly applied sealant covered with black mould
• about 5 light globes above mirror, one hanging by the electrical cable
• dirty gaping hole in bath and sink – with plugs missing
• bath with limescale and what looked like paint splatters
• scuff marks all over walls
• laminate flooring that was bubbled and buckling
• overpowering bleach smell in room
• old style box TV – not large flat screen as on their web site pics
• TV cabinet hinges were broken so could not close doors and drawers properly
• cables/wires along skirting and door frames
• tiny balcony with partial ocean view
• when I pulled back the cover on the bed, the sheets underneath looked as though someone had already slept in there but the covers just pulled back over.

We decided that we would go to reception and were told “but you got an upgrade!”. When we questioned further about the state of the room and that we did not feel safe in there due to the condition of the door the staff member said he was not sure why we were upgraded to that room as there were other rooms that were slightly better but they could not offer us a renovated room and that the standard room we were originally booked in was is a worse state than this! We were also advised by the reception staff member that the hotel did not own the rooms but rather they belonged to individuals and it was up to those people whether they renovated the room or not!

We were given a key to see another room, which we ended up staying in but it had:
• filthy disgusting carpet that we refused to walk barefoot on
• even smaller bathroom – towel rack was in the shower so had to hang towels outside to dry
• even stronger smell of bleach
• furniture was heavily damaged/scratched
• bed was broken and the most uncomfortable we have ever slept in. the mattress sunk on either side of the one slat that ran from the head to base of bed. We considered putting the mattress on the floor.
• underside of doona had a blood stain on it
• some items in the mini bar were past their used by date
• but, we did get a large flat screen tv and the balcony was a little bigger and had a fantastic view!

Web site states premium linen and waffle weave robes – where??????

When we booked, were told that we would have to pay an additional $18 a day for a continental breakfast whether we wanted it or not (which they kindly waived). Breakfast was:
• lukewarm coffee or lukewarm water for tea
• milk for tea and cereal at room temp
• frosted cereal or fruit loops
• some croissants and danishes
• porridge that I would not even feed my dog
• sliced bread – 2 toasters that did not work properly. After 10 minutes of trying to toast my bread and being told by a kitchen hand that the toasters did work and to be patient, both another lady and I gave up.

Across the road I could get a large serving of french toast with bacon, basket of different breads, danishes and muffins and a bowl of fruit for $10.

Prior to the pool party on one afternoon being called off due to the storm:
• beach access was closed off so we had to walk all the way around to get to the beach.
• security staff were rude
• people not staying at the hotel were able to attend the party and use the hotel’s facilities leaving mimimal room for paying guests to have a lounge by the pool
• staff at the back bar seemed more interested in chatting up girls than serving hotel guests - we waited over 10 minutes to order and gave up
• people openly smoking marijuana by the pool. Yes, there were kids around.
• the storm was bad and this caused a build up of water in the ceiling in the dining area – the ceiling was sagging. Eventually they pierced a hole in it to drain but electricity to lights and ceiling fans were left on and people still able to dine underneath.

I have noticed they have charged us an additional small amount on our credit card even though we received and paid for an itemised bill when leaving. I have no idea what this is for as we kept a log of all items we bought at the hotel and these were reflected on the final bill. I usually wouldn’t bother about such small amount, but after all the above I decided to email them. Have I heard back, of course not!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

They lost my reservation fortunately I had kept my conformation e-mails. Rooms where "premium" and renovated last year. Holes in the walls, scuff makes covering walls, no garbage, no PHONE, (which meant we had to walk down stairs for EVERYTHING) no blow dryer, breakfasts were cold. Anything we asked for such as ice or towels never appeared. Girls flashing at the pool in front of children and using f word as every other word. Saturday was a pool party which meant no ice, no drinks, no pool, no service ALL DAY! I did talk to the manager & concierge but their promises also never appeared. Screaming drunk people at all hours! This place is for trashy people who crawled over from the Super 8 motel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Kingsport, TN.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

....applies to the Shelborne at this point in its history. While attending a trade show at the convention center this week, three of us were put up there by our employer. I admit that I wasn't thrilled with that prospect after looking at numerous reviews, and that's where the title of this review comes into play. I'll cut to the chase and give you the low and high points followed by a summary of my feelings.

The Lows:

*My room appeared to have been one of the renovated rooms, but shoddily done.

*It had cheap laminate flooring that was bucking in spots.

*No curtains over the blinds, which on the bright side I suppose made for a nice wake up call when the sun came up.

*There were holes in the wall under the television where something had been before and they didn't bother with filling them in.

*More holes on the wall next to the closet that hadn't been covered.

*The television was plugged up with an extension cord that was just hanging out in the open. On the bright side, it gave me a convenient place to plug my phone up.

*The bathroom was so small, you had to close the door to get to the commode.

*Poor security locks, even though I never felt unsafe at any point.

The rest of the lows:

*Parking was either $25 or $35 a day, but thankfully we didn't have a car.

*The bar, while nice looking never appeared to be open.

*The internet access didn't work in one of my coworkers rooms.

*The Continental breakfast was underwhelming. We took a look at it and decided we'd rather pay somewhere to eat.

Now for the good:

*The ENTIRE staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. From the door to the front desk to the pool area, everyone was top notch.

*The pool area is outstanding. Nice, large pool, plenty of lounges and very clean.

*The view from my room was really nice.

*A new 50" flat screen was a nice touch.

*In spite of the shoddy renovation, my room was very clean and the bed was comfortable.

*You can't beat the location of this place. a 5 minute walk to the convention center and short walks to more great restaurants, bars and shops.

In summary, at $250 a night, I thought it was a little overpriced for the quality of the room, but I wasn't the one paying for it. They are however (so I was told) in the midst of upgrading things. If done properly, I would consider staying here on my own if the Mrs and I came down this way on vacation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed last in October/November with a girlfriend and we had a great stay. The hotel was clean and tidy, with towels and toiletries changed daily. We were also given two beach towels a day.
Staff were very friendly, and the complimentary breakfast perfectly adequate. Comfortable, generously sized beds.
Location wise- it was nice and quiet. A short 5 minute walk to Lincoln Avenue and a little further to the bars and restaurants on Ocean Drive.
For the bargain price we paid for the room, I was very impressed.
The hotel could however, do with double glazing. We had a room facing the road, and it you could hear the wind rattling the window pain and a slight breeze coming through. Buy hey, it's an Art Deco building and it really wasn't a major problem.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for a sea view room with a balcony. The main road view wasn't the greatest a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed in Miami @ the Shelborne for the very first time and this was our take on hotel and service:
Location of the hotel was awesome we walked out of our room straight out to the beach. Walking distance of everything you could need. Hotel food was great durning happy hour. We meet a great door man named Isa which was a blessing our entire trip. Along with the great staff he stood out the most he was there when ever we needed him weather if it was for directions or a cool place to go and making sure we where having a great time and stay. The rooms are dated and need to be upgraded before we would return but was told all that would be taken care of within the next few months. Thanks for everything Isa !!! Overall South Beach was great

Room Tip: If anyone is planning on staying at the Shelborne request a new renovated room. If not the standard...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Shelborne South Beach, Wyndham Affiliate? Share your experiences!