I was coming into Miami for business, but I was arriving on a Saturday with no agenda whatsoever. I was SO excited to get checked into the hotel, into my bathing suit, and to the beach.
My flight was delayed 2 hours, so i was cranky to begin with, but when I arrived at the Shelborne, I was instantly optomistic. The loby is GORGEOUS. Very Miami-feeling. My coworkers were meandering around, killing time, grabbing lunch (since their flights arrived on time... cool...). They said we weren't allowed to check into the Shelborne yet since it was only noon and they had to clean the rooms. Fair enough. After all it was Saturday... I threw on some shorts in the bathroom, and then ran to meet them for lunch.
Came back 1 1/2 hours later... now it's 1:30p. Can we check in yet? Nope... no rooms ready yet. We asked for our bags so we could throw on our bathing suits, and went into the bathroom to do so. By this point, the pool party (club) had trickled into the loby, and the bathroom looked like... well... the bathroom of a nightclub. I made my way into a tight stall, layed my suitcase on the wet floor, and pulled out my suit and tried to get it on my sweaty sweaty self since the bathroom was not air conditioned well. I re-checked my suitcase again, and the woman behind the desk took down our phone # to call us when our rooms were ready.
The beach was beautiful. We grabbed 4 chaise lounges, loaded up on sunblock, and began to relax. The cabana on the beach told us that they were out of towels, and that we could go back to the pool to procure one. My first thought was... as the towl stand on the beach... shouldn't they do that? But the teal blue water and the cool breeze calmed me so i just air-dried. 1st world problems... We hung out at the beach from 2p-5:30p, and received no call that our room was ready. We walked back over to the loby, and by this point, it looked like a European train station. People were laying on the floors, benches, all over the place, waiting and looking really annoyed.
We walked up to the front desk (taking the route around the hotel since the pool area was such a mobscene... there we saw the crime scene unit clearly targeting our pool... cool...) and were told that there were no rooms for us at the Shelborne that night. Apparently the top floor had flooded... yet their was no rain? We were given the option to either stay at the South Seas, or the Mar.... I forget the rest. We hit the roof. There was no indication of this at all from anyone during the whole day of stopping by the front desk. Not to mention, the South Seas was less expensive and lower rated... so why would we pay them full price for that?
My co-worker spoke to another couple who they did the same thing the previous night- they were put up at the hotel across the street. They came back on Saturday when they were guaranteed that the Shelborne would have a nice room ready for them. They didn't have a room... and their hotel across the street was now booked. They were screwed.
We went to check out the South Seas... and were surprised by how nice the people at the front desk were. The rooms were PERFECTLY adequite, and we did our bed bug check... came up clean. The pool area was gorgeous, and again, the people at South Seas (less expensive than the Shelborne) were SO apologetic for what the Shelborne put us through... and they really didn't have to be. There was no affiliation between the two hotels. We dragged our bags down the street, and checked into South Seas. Once we got settled, we checked to see if they had rooms for the duration of our stay... and we stayed there.
I tend to stay at Wyndham properties 2x/wk for business as a rule. This Wyndham property was the biggest let-down ever. Stay a few doors down and walk over if the pool party is your scene. These guys SUCK.
- Also Known As:
- Shelborne South Beach Hotel
- Shelborne South Beach Hotel Miami Beach
- Shelborne Beach Hotel
- Shelborne Beach Miami
- Hotel Miami Shelbourne
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Boasting a multi million renovation to be complete at the end of 2011, the Shelborne makes a re-entry to the Miami Beach scene in a classic rebirth of perfect Art Deco style. Modern accommodations and amenities meld seamlessly with tropical retro ambiance while an amazing beachfront location calls you to relax among gentle ocean breezes. Offering an unbeatable location in the heart of the South Beach, the Shelborne is one of the largest meeting and event spaces with over 8,000 sq. ft. of indoor and outdoor flexible space. With three amazing dining outlets on site, there is something to meet everyone's likings. Greet the day with a warm espresso at Vesper American Brasserie outdoor cafe. Lunch and Dinner served daily both in the outdoor cafe and the indoor brasserie. Lucy's Cantina Royale serving up the best in tacos and homemade guacamole with chips made daily. Bar Tanaka is the newest sushi spot to hit South Beach, located in the lobby of the Hotel. Chef Zama Tanaka brings his skills from Philadelphia to serve some of the best sushi dishes Miami has to offer.Let Shelborne play host to any milestone event. Choose from four renovated spaces to accommodate intimate occasions or lavish affairs. Our referrals for preferred event planning specialists and our own onsite catering personnel and wait staff are here to assist with any and all event needs leading up to the big day. From weddings to Bar Mitzvahs, holiday parties to work conferences, Shelborne’s goal is to provide guests with our signature brand of all-inclusive hospitality. Utilizing the top resources on Miami Beach, we’re here to cater to your special celebration. Kick back and enjoy the festivities – and leave the heavy lifting to us. Vesper is the ideal setting to host an engagement party or rehearsal dinner. With three beautiful backdrops to set the tone for your big day, state of the art AV technology, and delicious fare, Vesper American Brasserie will leave both you and your guests extremely satisfied. Lucy's Cantina Royale is the perfect back drop to walk down the aisle as the sun is setting or an oasis to host your guests at a beachfront taqueria. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Wyndham, Tingo, Travelocity and Agoda so you can book your Shelborne South Beach, Wyndham Affiliate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.