‘WOW!!’ was what i thought when we first arrived. The foyer, reception area, bar/lounge, & pool looked fantastic – just like on the web site.
We were asked if we were celebrating a special occasion & after letting them know it was our honeymoon we were told we would be upgraded as “you won’t be happy with the room you booked”. At this point I became worried.
On every level the skirting had been ripped off & not replaced. On one level there was some material hanging in place of a proper ceiling.
The 2 lifts were constantly breaking down.
Our upgraded room (we laugh at the term “upgraded”) – room/décor/finishing looked nothing like any of the rooms on their web site and was in a very poor state.
• door was slightly too small for the frame
• door and skirting in room was heavily scratched and gouged with rough paintwork , some parts not even painted
• back of door was badly damaged from where a previous lock had been ripped off
• one old single seat vinyl lounge with a large tear in it
• dusty old heavy curtains
• tiny disgusting bathroom. Areas with poorly applied sealant covered with black mould
• about 5 light globes above mirror, one hanging by the electrical cable
• dirty gaping hole in bath and sink – with plugs missing
• bath with limescale and what looked like paint splatters
• scuff marks all over walls
• laminate flooring that was bubbled and buckling
• overpowering bleach smell in room
• old style box TV – not large flat screen as on their web site pics
• TV cabinet hinges were broken so could not close doors and drawers properly
• cables/wires along skirting and door frames
• tiny balcony with partial ocean view
• when I pulled back the cover on the bed, the sheets underneath looked as though someone had already slept in there but the covers just pulled back over.
We decided that we would go to reception and were told “but you got an upgrade!”. When we questioned further about the state of the room and that we did not feel safe in there due to the condition of the door the staff member said he was not sure why we were upgraded to that room as there were other rooms that were slightly better but they could not offer us a renovated room and that the standard room we were originally booked in was is a worse state than this! We were also advised by the reception staff member that the hotel did not own the rooms but rather they belonged to individuals and it was up to those people whether they renovated the room or not!
We were given a key to see another room, which we ended up staying in but it had:
• filthy disgusting carpet that we refused to walk barefoot on
• even smaller bathroom – towel rack was in the shower so had to hang towels outside to dry
• even stronger smell of bleach
• furniture was heavily damaged/scratched
• bed was broken and the most uncomfortable we have ever slept in. the mattress sunk on either side of the one slat that ran from the head to base of bed. We considered putting the mattress on the floor.
• underside of doona had a blood stain on it
• some items in the mini bar were past their used by date
• but, we did get a large flat screen tv and the balcony was a little bigger and had a fantastic view!
Web site states premium linen and waffle weave robes – where??????
When we booked, were told that we would have to pay an additional $18 a day for a continental breakfast whether we wanted it or not (which they kindly waived). Breakfast was:
• lukewarm coffee or lukewarm water for tea
• milk for tea and cereal at room temp
• frosted cereal or fruit loops
• some croissants and danishes
• porridge that I would not even feed my dog
• sliced bread – 2 toasters that did not work properly. After 10 minutes of trying to toast my bread and being told by a kitchen hand that the toasters did work and to be patient, both another lady and I gave up.
Across the road I could get a large serving of french toast with bacon, basket of different breads, danishes and muffins and a bowl of fruit for $10.
Prior to the pool party on one afternoon being called off due to the storm:
• beach access was closed off so we had to walk all the way around to get to the beach.
• security staff were rude
• people not staying at the hotel were able to attend the party and use the hotel’s facilities leaving mimimal room for paying guests to have a lounge by the pool
• staff at the back bar seemed more interested in chatting up girls than serving hotel guests - we waited over 10 minutes to order and gave up
• people openly smoking marijuana by the pool. Yes, there were kids around.
• the storm was bad and this caused a build up of water in the ceiling in the dining area – the ceiling was sagging. Eventually they pierced a hole in it to drain but electricity to lights and ceiling fans were left on and people still able to dine underneath.
I have noticed they have charged us an additional small amount on our credit card even though we received and paid for an itemised bill when leaving. I have no idea what this is for as we kept a log of all items we bought at the hotel and these were reflected on the final bill. I usually wouldn’t bother about such small amount, but after all the above I decided to email them. Have I heard back, of course not!
- Also Known As:
- Shelborne South Beach Hotel Miami Beach
- Shelborne South Beach Hotel
- Shelborne Beach Hotel
- Shelborne Beach Miami
- Hotel Miami Shelbourne
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Boasting a multi million renovation to be complete at the end of 2011, the Shelborne makes a re-entry to the Miami Beach scene in a classic rebirth of perfect Art Deco style. Modern accommodations and amenities meld seamlessly with tropical retro ambiance while an amazing beachfront location calls you to relax among gentle ocean breezes. Offering an unbeatable location in the heart of the South Beach, the Shelborne is one of the largest meeting and event spaces with over 8,000 sq. ft. of indoor and outdoor flexible space. With three amazing dining outlets on site, there is something to meet everyone's likings. Greet the day with a warm espresso at Vesper American Brasserie outdoor cafe. Lunch and Dinner served daily both in the outdoor cafe and the indoor brasserie. Lucy's Cantina Royale serving up the best in tacos and homemade guacamole with chips made daily. Bar Tanaka is the newest sushi spot to hit South Beach, located in the lobby of the Hotel. Chef Zama Tanaka brings his skills from Philadelphia to serve some of the best sushi dishes Miami has to offer.Let Shelborne play host to any milestone event. Choose from four renovated spaces to accommodate intimate occasions or lavish affairs. Our referrals for preferred event planning specialists and our own onsite catering personnel and wait staff are here to assist with any and all event needs leading up to the big day. From weddings to Bar Mitzvahs, holiday parties to work conferences, Shelborne’s goal is to provide guests with our signature brand of all-inclusive hospitality. Utilizing the top resources on Miami Beach, we’re here to cater to your special celebration. Kick back and enjoy the festivities – and leave the heavy lifting to us. Vesper is the ideal setting to host an engagement party or rehearsal dinner. With three beautiful backdrops to set the tone for your big day, state of the art AV technology, and delicious fare, Vesper American Brasserie will leave both you and your guests extremely satisfied. Lucy's Cantina Royale is the perfect back drop to walk down the aisle as the sun is setting or an oasis to host your guests at a beachfront taqueria. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Amex, Booking.com, Travelocity, Olotels and Tingo so you can book your Shelborne South Beach, Wyndham Affiliate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.