“Worst Ever” 1 of 5 stars

Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #160 of 201 hotels in Miami Beach
“Worst Ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

They lost my reservation fortunately I had kept my conformation e-mails. Rooms where "premium" and renovated last year. Holes in the walls, scuff makes covering walls, no garbage, no PHONE, (which meant we had to walk down stairs for EVERYTHING) no blow dryer, breakfasts were cold. Anything we asked for such as ice or towels never appeared. Girls flashing at the pool in front of children and using f word as every other word. Saturday was a pool party which meant no ice, no drinks, no pool, no service ALL DAY! I did talk to the manager & concierge but their promises also never appeared. Screaming drunk people at all hours! This place is for trashy people who crawled over from the Super 8 motel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

469 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Kingsport, TN.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

....applies to the Shelborne at this point in its history. While attending a trade show at the convention center this week, three of us were put up there by our employer. I admit that I wasn't thrilled with that prospect after looking at numerous reviews, and that's where the title of this review comes into play. I'll cut to the chase and give you the low and high points followed by a summary of my feelings.

The Lows:

*My room appeared to have been one of the renovated rooms, but shoddily done.

*It had cheap laminate flooring that was bucking in spots.

*No curtains over the blinds, which on the bright side I suppose made for a nice wake up call when the sun came up.

*There were holes in the wall under the television where something had been before and they didn't bother with filling them in.

*More holes on the wall next to the closet that hadn't been covered.

*The television was plugged up with an extension cord that was just hanging out in the open. On the bright side, it gave me a convenient place to plug my phone up.

*The bathroom was so small, you had to close the door to get to the commode.

*Poor security locks, even though I never felt unsafe at any point.

The rest of the lows:

*Parking was either $25 or $35 a day, but thankfully we didn't have a car.

*The bar, while nice looking never appeared to be open.

*The internet access didn't work in one of my coworkers rooms.

*The Continental breakfast was underwhelming. We took a look at it and decided we'd rather pay somewhere to eat.

Now for the good:

*The ENTIRE staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. From the door to the front desk to the pool area, everyone was top notch.

*The pool area is outstanding. Nice, large pool, plenty of lounges and very clean.

*The view from my room was really nice.

*A new 50" flat screen was a nice touch.

*In spite of the shoddy renovation, my room was very clean and the bed was comfortable.

*You can't beat the location of this place. a 5 minute walk to the convention center and short walks to more great restaurants, bars and shops.

In summary, at $250 a night, I thought it was a little overpriced for the quality of the room, but I wasn't the one paying for it. They are however (so I was told) in the midst of upgrading things. If done properly, I would consider staying here on my own if the Mrs and I came down this way on vacation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed last in October/November with a girlfriend and we had a great stay. The hotel was clean and tidy, with towels and toiletries changed daily. We were also given two beach towels a day.
Staff were very friendly, and the complimentary breakfast perfectly adequate. Comfortable, generously sized beds.
Location wise- it was nice and quiet. A short 5 minute walk to Lincoln Avenue and a little further to the bars and restaurants on Ocean Drive.
For the bargain price we paid for the room, I was very impressed.
The hotel could however, do with double glazing. We had a room facing the road, and it you could hear the wind rattling the window pain and a slight breeze coming through. Buy hey, it's an Art Deco building and it really wasn't a major problem.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for a sea view room with a balcony. The main road view wasn't the greatest a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed in Miami @ the Shelborne for the very first time and this was our take on hotel and service:
Location of the hotel was awesome we walked out of our room straight out to the beach. Walking distance of everything you could need. Hotel food was great durning happy hour. We meet a great door man named Isa which was a blessing our entire trip. Along with the great staff he stood out the most he was there when ever we needed him weather if it was for directions or a cool place to go and making sure we where having a great time and stay. The rooms are dated and need to be upgraded before we would return but was told all that would be taken care of within the next few months. Thanks for everything Isa !!! Overall South Beach was great

Room Tip: If anyone is planning on staying at the Shelborne request a new renovated room. If not the standard...
Long Island , ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

The Shelborne is the perfect location with everything around it. It is located far enough to get some relaxation without the noise but close enough to party the night away. There is Lincoln rd Mall conveniently located two blocks away along with the convention center and restaurants surrounding it. When we first arrived our room was not ready and had to wait two hrs but the staff and manager were very accommodating. The bellhop Raymond was more than amazing, he made sure our luggage was secure, and that we were being taking care off. After waiting for a while , he rushed the housekeeper to prepare our room so that we could change and enjoy the rest of our sunny day. The manager Fernando is very sweet and nice. He goes out of his way to make sure that your stay there is unlike any other. He made sure that i had everything i needed and made sure i got the best room possible despite what i had reserved and gave me a better room. After checking in Fernando(Manager) sent me to the poolside bar to have a Mimosa. The Bartender Guzel which is there on weeknds, is totally awsome and the best! She may come off stand-offish at first but its because she is so busy, but she is definatly the sweetest and funniest girl. Great personality and bubbly. Another awesome person was Isa he is very very funny and always makes you laugh no matter what. There are still alot of renovations being done but and alot of things to be fixed but overall its a great place with great attentive people, in a great location.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

The Shelborne is conveniently located right on the beach as well as in walking distance from Lincoln Rd and Ocean Drive. Upon arriving at the hotel, Addy at the front desk was very helpful. He gave us a choice between two rooms with a beautiful ocean view. Addy also was readily available to answer any questions we had. I enjoyed my stay at the Shelborne.I would recommend it to my family and friends traveling to South Beach.

• Stayed April 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Waited in the lobby for 2 hours because they could not find my reservations even with the reservation number. The overall attitude was "there is nothing we can do we don't have a reservation and we are booked". I had to call the Wyndham myself and give the manager the telephone. The first room we were given was horrible so we went back down to the lobby and requested another room. The second room was just as bad, but was told that we would get upgraded the next day. The room had mildrew in the bathroom, the carpet was nasty, the bathtub/shower had hair in it, the safety lock on the door was weak at best,...it was a mess. I took pictures. The next day we went down for the transfer as promised and was told the room still wasn't ready it was after 2 pm......half the day wasted waiting for a room. No room service available, the bar was never opened. No continental breakfast as promised. The 16th floor was under construction and the ceiling leaked, there was exposed brick with missing drywall.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Shelborne South Beach, Wyndham Affiliate? Share your experiences!