“GORGEOUS VIEW!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #149 of 197 hotels in Miami Beach
Strongsville, Ohio
“GORGEOUS VIEW!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

If you want a beautiful view this is it (but make sure you have a room with a balcony). Beautiful chandeliers and very nice pool. Sparkly tile floors in the lobby. Maintenance was slow to respond. Waited an hour to get our shower fixed. Security was slow to respond to loud neighbors. It's a strong possibility I would go back. Great location too and the gym was nice!

Room Tip: Get the balcony!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

464 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

From looking at the lobby and pool you would think it's a gorgeous hotel. But the rooms will prove this wrong. The first room I checked in to had torn carpets, holes in the wall, beds on loose frame, generally awful and dirty. I complained and they upgraded me to something more recently renovated, but still completely out of shape.

This hotel is a complete rip off. The only good thing I can say is the location is amazing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hackensack, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights with some friends. I asked for a upgrade from the street view to ocean view. We (4 girls) were placed in an ocean view room on the corner of the hotel. It seemed smaller than the other rooms (not pictured on the website). Our bathroom needed a few repairs. The cabinet in the kitchen fell off. The curtains looked as if they were taped to the rod. The walls & floors are very thin, heard every noise from other rooms. The front desk was great service, the valet and house keeping was not. We had to explain to the valet that we wanted to pay cash since we were only using the service for night and he gave us a hard time & billed it to the room (it was removed during check out). We asked for wash cloths (they only had 1 in the room) at 12pm, 4pm & 8pm we finally got them at 9pm along with extra toliet paper. Housekeeping also tried to give us a hair dryer which we did not ask for. Dont waste your time on the complimentary breakfast, its only toast, cereal, juice & muffins. Make use the towels/chairs on the beach however I suggest you bring your own cooler as service is slow and sometimes dont have what you really want. We asked for miami vices and were told that the machine was broken the bar tender did not feel like making them so we were limited to certain premade drinks. The food is expensive $5 for one small taco. Even though it costs a little more we took advantage of the late check out (3pm) and luggage storage as we had a late flight. Location was good, near walgreens, liquor store and away from the craziness of ocean if you like the quiet areas. I am not sure if I would stay again as room was $900 & I felt it wasnt worth the money we paid.

Room Tip: Ask for the newer or renovated rooms. Also ask to see the room before you actually check in.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

The studio was a great value: clean, well-equipped, fantastic location with all of the amenities of an ocean-front hotel. The staff was polite and accommodating and Vicky Reyes, the concierge, was very helpful.

• Stayed April 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

My mother and I entered our room and were disgusted by the state of the bathroom. There were hairs in and around the sink, toothpaste splattered on the tile, and the shower was repulsive. After calling the front desk and letting them know, they gave us a key to an "upgraded room". Our next room may have been worse than the original. I stepped on a pin that was in the rug next to my bed. There were similar toothpaste splatters on the tile in the bathroom. The paint on the walls were chipped and the windows were broken and dirty. The lighting in the bathroom was so awful we had to bring a lamp into the bathroom to put on our makeup. We attempted to leave that night due to our level of dissatisfication but because it was 11:00 pm on a Saturday night we could not find another place to stay. We were told that because our room was already an upgrade they could do nothing else to help us that night. The manager refused to come see the condition of the room and was very rude over the phone. On Sunday morning when I attempted to shower there was no hot water. We called the front desk and we were told a technician would be sent up. After waiting 30 minutes we called the front desk again and 10 minutes after that someone came to our room and fixed the shower. We decided to see what the continental breakfast we had to pay resort fees for had to offer. It was extremely dissapointing. My mom and I checked out two days early and booked a room at the Raleigh across the street. Best decision we have made. It is gorgeous and very accommodating. Overall, the Shelborne was not worth what we were forced to pay. I would not reccomend it to ANYONE. Awful experience.

• Stayed April 2013
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

So I made a reservation at the Shelborne last week for my upcoming stay in April. I didn't receive a confirmation email so I decide to call back two days later. Too my surprise, no one could find my reservaton?? I gave the reservation department my reservation number, name, credit card information and no one could find my reservation. I was told that the person "Hugo" who took my reservation was rather new. I was told to call back the next day and have been giving the run around for days. I finally got into with Hugo and he said he would speak to his manager and give me a call back. I have called the hotel several times and have been transfered to voicemail. I called and asked for Hugo today and he is now working in the valet department? I am very disappointed in the Shelborne, I work for a very high profile Wedding Company in NYC and I will NOT send any of my employees to the Shelborne. I was just looking to get the same rate I was promised or even a slighter better rate because of their mistake. What would of happened if I would of showed up at the hotel on my arrival date and have no reservation. Sorry Shelborne my staff or myself will not be returning to your hotel.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Our stay at The Shelborne was for 6 days. The hotel rooms are under renovation, and lift areas on many floors are in need of skirting boards, but you can see this is in progress.The lifts are diabolically slow The noise in this place is exaggerated due to the thinness of the walls, & the gaps under the doors that have ineffective security catches. There's no hotel compendium which would have been appreciated. Showers are not hot.

Our room had a sink with a wonky mixer, a bar fridge & microwave. There are newish cupboards there but no crockery, cutlery or glassware-not sure if they are trying to make these self catering or what the intention is.

On the 12th floor there seems to be a meeting place for the cleaners as they yell to one another from mid morning to late afternoon.

The Hotel staff at Reception are helpful, and the staff at the entrance are attentive, as were pool and beach staff. We had a fabulous ocean view room which did make up for some of the disappointments.

Would look at other options next time, given the price we paid.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Shelborne South Beach, Wyndham Affiliate? Share your experiences!