“Spring Break to remember” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #158 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Rockville, Maryland, United States
“Spring Break to remember”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Hi Trip Advisory readers. Please let me tell you about the fantastic week my teenage daughter, friends, and I had at the Shelbourne Hotel. From the moment our taxi arrived a doorman quickly retrieved our luggage and had it waiting as we checked in. The checkin staff were friendly and happy (as I'm sure most people who live in Miami and enjoy the sun and surf must always be) and explained all the anemenities the hotel has to offer.

This is more of a resort than a hotel. There are 4 very different bars that cater to the experience you desire. On the lower level they just opened a karaoke bar open from 10pm until 5am. I thought who would be there singing with everything else South Beach has to offer but I was very wrong. Not only was there a fun and energetic crowd of guests but also locals and even a world renoun opera singer from Italy graced the stage. There is a posh bar right at the front door for a fine socia drinkingl crowd and toward the back is a sports bar with all the games imaginable on many flat screen tvs 24/7; along with a pool table to bring out the competitve spirit. Finally there is a pool bar, but with fantastic food and dining either in the dining area or to be brought poolaide. And last but not least you may never have experienced a pool party quite like the one the Shelbourne puts on every Saturday afternoon. It is the spot to be.

Now that we know the service is great lets talk about the spacious rooms that South Beach doesn't always offer. We had a very comfortable living space with room to spare, walk in closet, full size dresser, and even a kitchenette. This was very helpfull to bring back leftovers from the generous food portions at most restaurants. You even have your own balcony. My only request was that wash clothes had to be requested every day, but once requested they were promptly brought to your room. I guess I'm old school for preferring to wash myself with a cloth to get clean, especially to scrub off sun block and sand.

The Shelbourne staff hold the door for you everytime you enter and leave and always greet you like your thier valued guests. If you need a taxi or recommendation for food or attractions they will point you in the right direction. As a summary, you are sure to have a great stay at the Shelbourne which has everything you need, want, and soooo much more. This was the first time I was sad to go home because I felt at home every minute of my stay. I will absolutely be back to enjoy South Beach and I will absolutely stay at the Shelbourne again.

468 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

visiting miami every year, i can say this is my hotel, here. best choice, ocean view, renovated area. i tried studioes and rooms. both ok. nice breakfast, very nice pool an d obviously... the beach... i'm going again in october

Room Tip: 1409, nice studio
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Coconut Creek, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Every time I visit Miami I stay at the Shelborne due to its central location. They used to have a great nightclub, Shine, which is no longer open. I learned this after I booked my stay. This was discouraging. I also found out that guests no longer had complimentary access to the pool party events. (If I pay close to $1,000 for a weekend at a hotel, I should have access to the pool & it's events)
Very unhappy I spoke with the head of concierge services, Rafael Velazquez. He explained to me that a new company manages Shelborne now & they are separate from the pool events. Rafael did his best to help, getting me a discounted ticket to the party which made me feel appreciated. He made several trips with me to the pool when I felt I wasn't being treated as a guest should. (re-entry to the pool for example.)
On numerous occasions Rafael took the initiative to help when I needed it. I've never seen an associate go so far out of their way for me. That is what made our stay perfect!
I can't express how valuable of an asset Rafael Velazquez is.
Because of him we will return again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

From the moment I checked in with Raimundo who was very welcoming and got me checked in with ease. Addy also provided superior service, he was very knowledgable about the hotel, events, and things to do around the city. Made my stay one of a kind. I plan on coming back to Miami in July and the Shelborne will be my first pick.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

The staff at the Shelbourne was extremely accommodating. I'd like to specifically thank Rafael for his excellent concierge service and positive attitude. Also, special thanks to Kevin or welcoming us at 6 in the morning.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I don't think it helped that we arrived late on a Saturday night in the middle of their musical festival, to then be told we didn't have a reservation. We had booked this hotel through a travel agent and had confirmation of the booking. The hotel honoured our reservation for that night as we were told to speak to the reservation team early the next morning. The hotel is in the process of being refurbished but when we arrived on the 14th floor in the unreliable lift, we were greeted by huge noisy fans, bare walls and bare floors. Which in their defence was rectified after 3 days or so. Although our room had a spectacular view of south beach and I think it was a refurbished room, it wasn't done to the specification you'd expect from a hotel on south beach. Throughout the night and very night, you could hear doors banging and people talking. It's certainly not a peaceful place to stay. We did not feel safe being two ladies staying there alone as it felt like the walls were paper thin. Also as it was the music festival it was teaming with young scantily clad party goers hanging around the hotel day and night. We also sought advice from the concierge, who informed us a cab to dolphin mall would be $35. When in fact it was $60 each way. We also went to the beach and were charged $10 each for our sunbeds, even though we told them we were hotel guests. I later found out they should of been free as they're supposedly included in the resort fee. This hotel does have a the perfect location and is great for young people who are just there to party. If u are expecting a classy, relaxing place to stay. Keep clear of this hotel. Oh and we spoke to the reservations team the next morning and we had a booking all along, so they caused us a traumatic experience for no reason!

West Melbourne, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

A friend and I had just returned from a cruise and met my husband in South Beach to spend the weekend. We booked a night at The Shelbourne through HotelTonight. The booking indicated that check-in was at 3:00. We were already in the area so we stopped by at 2:00 to see if we could go ahead and check-in as I have never known early check-in to be a problem at most properties. They said they did not have any rooms available but that we were welcome to use the resort facilities (pool, bar, beach, lounge chairs, etc.). So we parked the car and changed in the restrooms by the pools and enjoyed some time out on the beach. We went back inside at 3:00 to check in and they stated that they still did not have any rooms available and to check back at 4:00. We went back out to the pool and came back in at 4:00. At that time they had a very long line and we had to wait about 30 minutes to check in. Once we were finally able to get into our room, we got ready to go out for the evening.

After dinner and walking around South Beach, we came back to the hotel fairly early (around 9:30pm) as we were all tired. We all went to bed, and were almost immediately woken by noise in the adjoining room. There were several people in the room partying and we could hear EVERY WORD. Every time someone came in and out of the door it slammed (none of the doors fit in the door frames right so they had to be slammed to actually close). At first we thought it was early and that they would soon settle down. However, by 1:00am they were still going hard core. We kept hearing this repetitive noise that we could tell was them cutting lines of cocaine. We could also smell pot smoke from their room. At this point, we called the front desk and asked them to address the situation. We really wanted to sleep but we were a bit scared about our safety since the walls were obviously paper thin and also the fact that there was a door between the two rooms that was unbolted (no locks) and just had the bed pushed up against it. The hotel did send someone to speak to them because we heard them knock on the door; however, the nose lasted for about another hour and then resumed around 7:00am.

Aside from the extreme noise and lack of safety and security, we had a few other issues during our stay. The first afternoon at the pool, the attendance completely ran out of towels and actually offered us used, wet towels. Apparently one of the dryers had broken. Also, the shower leaked into the whole bathroom every time we took a shower and the floors were extremely slippery. The common areas of the hotel were very nice but the room itself was extremely dated and sparsely furnished.

Between the late check-in, nose, safety concerns, and condition of the room, we were extremely disappointed in our stay. My friend contacted 6 members of the hotel management team, including the owner, via email to address our concerns and did not receive any response which I find completely unacceptable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Shelborne South Beach, Wyndham Affiliate? Share your experiences!