“Best Stay At The Shelborne To Date” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #157 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
Coconut Creek, Florida
“Best Stay At The Shelborne To Date”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Every time I visit Miami I stay at the Shelborne due to its central location. They used to have a great nightclub, Shine, which is no longer open. I learned this after I booked my stay. This was discouraging. I also found out that guests no longer had complimentary access to the pool party events. (If I pay close to $1,000 for a weekend at a hotel, I should have access to the pool & it's events)
Very unhappy I spoke with the head of concierge services, Rafael Velazquez. He explained to me that a new company manages Shelborne now & they are separate from the pool events. Rafael did his best to help, getting me a discounted ticket to the party which made me feel appreciated. He made several trips with me to the pool when I felt I wasn't being treated as a guest should. (re-entry to the pool for example.)
On numerous occasions Rafael took the initiative to help when I needed it. I've never seen an associate go so far out of their way for me. That is what made our stay perfect!
I can't express how valuable of an asset Rafael Velazquez is.
Because of him we will return again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

From the moment I checked in with Raimundo who was very welcoming and got me checked in with ease. Addy also provided superior service, he was very knowledgable about the hotel, events, and things to do around the city. Made my stay one of a kind. I plan on coming back to Miami in July and the Shelborne will be my first pick.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

The staff at the Shelbourne was extremely accommodating. I'd like to specifically thank Rafael for his excellent concierge service and positive attitude. Also, special thanks to Kevin or welcoming us at 6 in the morning.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I don't think it helped that we arrived late on a Saturday night in the middle of their musical festival, to then be told we didn't have a reservation. We had booked this hotel through a travel agent and had confirmation of the booking. The hotel honoured our reservation for that night as we were told to speak to the reservation team early the next morning. The hotel is in the process of being refurbished but when we arrived on the 14th floor in the unreliable lift, we were greeted by huge noisy fans, bare walls and bare floors. Which in their defence was rectified after 3 days or so. Although our room had a spectacular view of south beach and I think it was a refurbished room, it wasn't done to the specification you'd expect from a hotel on south beach. Throughout the night and very night, you could hear doors banging and people talking. It's certainly not a peaceful place to stay. We did not feel safe being two ladies staying there alone as it felt like the walls were paper thin. Also as it was the music festival it was teaming with young scantily clad party goers hanging around the hotel day and night. We also sought advice from the concierge, who informed us a cab to dolphin mall would be $35. When in fact it was $60 each way. We also went to the beach and were charged $10 each for our sunbeds, even though we told them we were hotel guests. I later found out they should of been free as they're supposedly included in the resort fee. This hotel does have a the perfect location and is great for young people who are just there to party. If u are expecting a classy, relaxing place to stay. Keep clear of this hotel. Oh and we spoke to the reservations team the next morning and we had a booking all along, so they caused us a traumatic experience for no reason!

West Melbourne, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

A friend and I had just returned from a cruise and met my husband in South Beach to spend the weekend. We booked a night at The Shelbourne through HotelTonight. The booking indicated that check-in was at 3:00. We were already in the area so we stopped by at 2:00 to see if we could go ahead and check-in as I have never known early check-in to be a problem at most properties. They said they did not have any rooms available but that we were welcome to use the resort facilities (pool, bar, beach, lounge chairs, etc.). So we parked the car and changed in the restrooms by the pools and enjoyed some time out on the beach. We went back inside at 3:00 to check in and they stated that they still did not have any rooms available and to check back at 4:00. We went back out to the pool and came back in at 4:00. At that time they had a very long line and we had to wait about 30 minutes to check in. Once we were finally able to get into our room, we got ready to go out for the evening.

After dinner and walking around South Beach, we came back to the hotel fairly early (around 9:30pm) as we were all tired. We all went to bed, and were almost immediately woken by noise in the adjoining room. There were several people in the room partying and we could hear EVERY WORD. Every time someone came in and out of the door it slammed (none of the doors fit in the door frames right so they had to be slammed to actually close). At first we thought it was early and that they would soon settle down. However, by 1:00am they were still going hard core. We kept hearing this repetitive noise that we could tell was them cutting lines of cocaine. We could also smell pot smoke from their room. At this point, we called the front desk and asked them to address the situation. We really wanted to sleep but we were a bit scared about our safety since the walls were obviously paper thin and also the fact that there was a door between the two rooms that was unbolted (no locks) and just had the bed pushed up against it. The hotel did send someone to speak to them because we heard them knock on the door; however, the nose lasted for about another hour and then resumed around 7:00am.

Aside from the extreme noise and lack of safety and security, we had a few other issues during our stay. The first afternoon at the pool, the attendance completely ran out of towels and actually offered us used, wet towels. Apparently one of the dryers had broken. Also, the shower leaked into the whole bathroom every time we took a shower and the floors were extremely slippery. The common areas of the hotel were very nice but the room itself was extremely dated and sparsely furnished.

Between the late check-in, nose, safety concerns, and condition of the room, we were extremely disappointed in our stay. My friend contacted 6 members of the hotel management team, including the owner, via email to address our concerns and did not receive any response which I find completely unacceptable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Went to Miami for business, booked the hotel far ahead, planned to arrive a night earlier and sent them a mail, never got a reply from them, so had to take a different hotel for one night. When I finally arrived there, they told me at 2, that check in is only at 4. When I returned at 4, they told me, they don't have a room, as they are hopeless overbooked and for the first night they accommodated me on the opposite of the street. Had to pay the same price, but was a horrible hotel, far beyond the standard I booked. That meant another night packing and unpacking. Got a sea view room, they are pretty old and a very very small bathroom. It was always noisy and the elevators were not working during the stay, only one was operating and you sometimes had to wait 10 minutes for the elevator. The resort fee was a joke, as the breakfast was really poor. If you ever should stay in Southbeach, I can't recommend this hotel!

Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Now given the images online and premium price point I had high expectations... Well the arrival and lobby delivered as expected, and lets not forget the very friendly staff. Now the elevator started showcasing the expectation beyond that but I assumed it was under transition. The foyer/hallway for the guest rooms were stylish done with very cheap and low quality products that were aging as if bought at Ikea.

The guest room had some awesome touches such as the stark white Carrera Marble floors, spacious layout and walkin closet. The functionality just simply was not well thought at all. No power outlet by the bed to charge phone, no floor length mirror in the entire room, no counter space/towel hooks/shower storage in the bathroom, no light in the closet, and my biggest thing, the shower was poorly thought out and the water leaks out into the room and uncontrollable when taking a shower.

Lets keep hope alive that the stay can match the lobby and staff eventually. If you absolutely must stay there, ONLY stay in the front of the hotel as the view is not worth the horrific rooms in the back.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Shelborne South Beach, Wyndham Affiliate? Share your experiences!