A friend and I had just returned from a cruise and met my husband in South Beach to spend the weekend. We booked a night at The Shelbourne through HotelTonight. The booking indicated that check-in was at 3:00. We were already in the area so we stopped by at 2:00 to see if we could go ahead and check-in as I have never known early check-in to be a problem at most properties. They said they did not have any rooms available but that we were welcome to use the resort facilities (pool, bar, beach, lounge chairs, etc.). So we parked the car and changed in the restrooms by the pools and enjoyed some time out on the beach. We went back inside at 3:00 to check in and they stated that they still did not have any rooms available and to check back at 4:00. We went back out to the pool and came back in at 4:00. At that time they had a very long line and we had to wait about 30 minutes to check in. Once we were finally able to get into our room, we got ready to go out for the evening.
After dinner and walking around South Beach, we came back to the hotel fairly early (around 9:30pm) as we were all tired. We all went to bed, and were almost immediately woken by noise in the adjoining room. There were several people in the room partying and we could hear EVERY WORD. Every time someone came in and out of the door it slammed (none of the doors fit in the door frames right so they had to be slammed to actually close). At first we thought it was early and that they would soon settle down. However, by 1:00am they were still going hard core. We kept hearing this repetitive noise that we could tell was them cutting lines of cocaine. We could also smell pot smoke from their room. At this point, we called the front desk and asked them to address the situation. We really wanted to sleep but we were a bit scared about our safety since the walls were obviously paper thin and also the fact that there was a door between the two rooms that was unbolted (no locks) and just had the bed pushed up against it. The hotel did send someone to speak to them because we heard them knock on the door; however, the nose lasted for about another hour and then resumed around 7:00am.
Aside from the extreme noise and lack of safety and security, we had a few other issues during our stay. The first afternoon at the pool, the attendance completely ran out of towels and actually offered us used, wet towels. Apparently one of the dryers had broken. Also, the shower leaked into the whole bathroom every time we took a shower and the floors were extremely slippery. The common areas of the hotel were very nice but the room itself was extremely dated and sparsely furnished.
Between the late check-in, nose, safety concerns, and condition of the room, we were extremely disappointed in our stay. My friend contacted 6 members of the hotel management team, including the owner, via email to address our concerns and did not receive any response which I find completely unacceptable.
- Also Known As:
- Shelborne South Beach Hotel
- Shelborne South Beach Hotel Miami Beach
- Shelborne Beach Hotel
- Shelborne Beach Miami
- Hotel Miami Shelbourne
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Boasting a multi million renovation to be complete at the end of 2011, the Shelborne makes a re-entry to the Miami Beach scene in a classic rebirth of perfect Art Deco style. Modern accommodations and amenities meld seamlessly with tropical retro ambiance while an amazing beachfront location calls you to relax among gentle ocean breezes. Offering an unbeatable location in the heart of the South Beach, the Shelborne is one of the largest meeting and event spaces with over 8,000 sq. ft. of indoor and outdoor flexible space. With three amazing dining outlets on site, there is something to meet everyone's likings. Greet the day with a warm espresso at Vesper American Brasserie outdoor cafe. Lunch and Dinner served daily both in the outdoor cafe and the indoor brasserie. Lucy's Cantina Royale serving up the best in tacos and homemade guacamole with chips made daily. Bar Tanaka is the newest sushi spot to hit South Beach, located in the lobby of the Hotel. Chef Zama Tanaka brings his skills from Philadelphia to serve some of the best sushi dishes Miami has to offer.Let Shelborne play host to any milestone event. Choose from four renovated spaces to accommodate intimate occasions or lavish affairs. Our referrals for preferred event planning specialists and our own onsite catering personnel and wait staff are here to assist with any and all event needs leading up to the big day. From weddings to Bar Mitzvahs, holiday parties to work conferences, Shelborne’s goal is to provide guests with our signature brand of all-inclusive hospitality. Utilizing the top resources on Miami Beach, we’re here to cater to your special celebration. Kick back and enjoy the festivities – and leave the heavy lifting to us. Vesper is the ideal setting to host an engagement party or rehearsal dinner. With three beautiful backdrops to set the tone for your big day, state of the art AV technology, and delicious fare, Vesper American Brasserie will leave both you and your guests extremely satisfied. Lucy's Cantina Royale is the perfect back drop to walk down the aisle as the sun is setting or an oasis to host your guests at a beachfront taqueria. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Tingo, Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia and Fareportal so you can book your Shelborne South Beach, Wyndham Affiliate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.