When booking the Shelborne I actually used Trip Advisor to help. There were some mixed reviews, but from the people who got renovated rooms, they had a great experience. Unfortunately, I was not in one of those rooms.
When I arrived, they let me check in an hour early which was nice, but my room was old, stained and definitely in need of serious TLC. I could also hear EVERYTHING. I was removed from the elevators, but could still hear them. Everyone someone shut a door, or flushed a toilet, you could hear it and anyone staying next to, above or below me, I could hear their entire conversation. That isn't why I am giving this hotel a less than stellar review. It is getting one because of a safety issue I had with my room and how the manager chose to deal with it.
Before leaving for a great dinner reservation, I realized my door was not locking behind me. I immediately called the front desk and when the maintainence man said he could not fix it. I went downstairs and asked for another room. The front desk assistant, Raimondo, was extremely apologetic and very nice. He wanted to do all he could to help, but to no avail. I was down there for almost 30 minutes in which time I NEVER saw the manager. When they tried to fix the door again and it did not work, I went back downstairs and when I caught the manager behind the desk (no he never offered to speak with me) I asked what he could do...one free drink per person in my party from the lobby bar. Gee thanks. We've now missed our reservation and I'm still stuck in the same room.
Fortunately, the concierce, Rafael was FANTASTIC! He made me feel like a VIP the rest of the weekend I was there; setting us up with a fabulous dinner at Flame where appetizers, champage and dessert was on him. The next night, I didn't have to wait in line at Joe's Stone Crab, a place where a 2 hour wait is normal. If it wasn't for Rafael, I would be scathing about this place right now. Raimondo was also a huge help.
They say that this hotel will be fully renovated by April 2014 now that Wyndham Hotels has purchased them, however, I'm sure because of the location (which is AMAZING) this hotel will up its prices. Otherwise, I'd recommend staying elsewhere.
- Also Known As:
- Shelborne South Beach Hotel
- Shelborne South Beach Hotel Miami Beach
- Shelborne Beach Hotel
- Shelborne Beach Miami
- Hotel Miami Shelbourne
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Boasting a multi million renovation to be complete at the end of 2011, the Shelborne makes a re-entry to the Miami Beach scene in a classic rebirth of perfect Art Deco style. Modern accommodations and amenities meld seamlessly with tropical retro ambiance while an amazing beachfront location calls you to relax among gentle ocean breezes. Offering an unbeatable location in the heart of the South Beach, the Shelborne is one of the largest meeting and event spaces with over 8,000 sq. ft. of indoor and outdoor flexible space. With three amazing dining outlets on site, there is something to meet everyone's likings. Greet the day with a warm espresso at Vesper American Brasserie outdoor cafe. Lunch and Dinner served daily both in the outdoor cafe and the indoor brasserie. Lucy's Cantina Royale serving up the best in tacos and homemade guacamole with chips made daily. Bar Tanaka is the newest sushi spot to hit South Beach, located in the lobby of the Hotel. Chef Zama Tanaka brings his skills from Philadelphia to serve some of the best sushi dishes Miami has to offer.Let Shelborne play host to any milestone event. Choose from four renovated spaces to accommodate intimate occasions or lavish affairs. Our referrals for preferred event planning specialists and our own onsite catering personnel and wait staff are here to assist with any and all event needs leading up to the big day. From weddings to Bar Mitzvahs, holiday parties to work conferences, Shelborne’s goal is to provide guests with our signature brand of all-inclusive hospitality. Utilizing the top resources on Miami Beach, we’re here to cater to your special celebration. Kick back and enjoy the festivities – and leave the heavy lifting to us. Vesper is the ideal setting to host an engagement party or rehearsal dinner. With three beautiful backdrops to set the tone for your big day, state of the art AV technology, and delicious fare, Vesper American Brasserie will leave both you and your guests extremely satisfied. Lucy's Cantina Royale is the perfect back drop to walk down the aisle as the sun is setting or an oasis to host your guests at a beachfront taqueria. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Wyndham, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Venere, BookIt.com, Expedia, Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Shelborne South Beach, Wyndham Affiliate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.