“Are you kidding me? Stolen property, mold, dirty, shady hotel. 2013 review” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Shelborne South Beach, Wyndham Affiliate

Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #158 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Washington DC
“Are you kidding me? Stolen property, mold, dirty, shady hotel. 2013 review”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Since this trip was prepurchased for me by family, I didn't think to come and check the reviews from this site. Let me give you a timeline:

Check in at 3:45PM- we were given a room on the 5th floor initially. To say that this room was dirty is an understatement. We walked in and immediately saw two roaches on the floor and no carpet in the room. Wife went into the bathroom and said there is no way she will stay here. I went to check why: The towels were obviously used and just refolded, there was mold EVERYWHERE, the toilet was dirty and the tub didn't even look like it was sealed. The tiles on the floor were disgusting to look at.

We went back to the front desk and were told that for $50/night we could upgrade to a "renovated" room. We went to check this room out, when we went up- there was a cute older maid cleaning the room. Thinking nothing of it since the door was closed, we left our stuff upstairs and went down to let the front desk know we would take that room. As we were coming back from the desk- the maid was rushing out, we found out 10 minutes later that my wifes brand new iphone was missing. Now I'm not saying that the maid stole it- but who else could it have been? It was definitely there when we left.

Let's talk about the "renovated room". By renovation, I think they mean that half the room had cheap carpet in it and there was a chair in the room to sit on for the desk. The bathroom tile was different but was still MOLDY, the towels AGAIN had hair on them, and the sheets on the bed had BLOOD on them. WTF?

Stay away from this place people- I can't believe that Wyndham picked this place up. Makes me sick.

Room Tip: Stolen Iphone, bloody sheets, moldy bathroom, used sheets and towels.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

468 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Against my better judgement, I booked this hotel at the recommendation of the travel agent I spoke with when trying to find an upscale hotel in South Beach. I was told that the Shelborne gets excellent reviews on their site and the only reason it was rated only 3.5 stars was because it did not have the ammenities some of the 4 star and higher hotels did. That was not the case. I booked a king room at $365/night for a 1 night stay. The first room we were given has 2 double beds, which me being 7 ft tall does not come close to working. The room was disgusting with holes in the wall, apint peeling off, mold, dust everywhere, and stains all over the carpets. I called back to the front desk and the girl told me to wait in the room and she would call back in a minute with a new room. 30 minutes later, no call and I went back to the front desk. This time the girls gave me a king room, but this room was even worse than the first with disgusting stains, and furniture that had not been updated from the 1970s. I did walk past one of their updated rooms, which does look very nice like the website shows, but the rest of their rooms are deplorable and would not pass for a 1 star Motel 6. I called down to request a manger come up to the room but after no response, went back to the front desk. 20 minutes later a manger arrives and shows me to a room that he said was "the best he could do". This room certainly was cleaner, though not exceptional. There was still peeling paint on the ceiling, the TV did not have cables connecting it, and there was no coffee for the coffee maker or minibar as in the other rooms. Also, the king bed had been pulled 5 feet away from the wall for some reason and was in the middle of the room, making it impossible to use the phone. Which I guess doesn't matter here because the staff does not answer the phone anyhow. I called the front desk to request a taxi to take us to dinner and after being transfered several times, I finally let it ring for 5 minutes until someone answered. I was then told that the city was too busy to request a cab and they would try to see if they could hail one for me when we got downstairs. My wife and I proceeded to walk downstair and immediatley hailed a cab withing a minute while the valets were piddling around. When it came time for me to call for my car from the Valet, I asked for it to be delived before 9AM so we could get the the airport. At 9, the Valet manager told me it was coming , and at 9:10 we see the same guy finally driving the car up. I had called almost an hour before to get the car!

Bottom line, the rooms are poor quality, the staff is not interested in offereing good customer service, and the hotel is a gross misrepresentaion of what you actually will see when you get there. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
New York, New York, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stayed here with my GF for 3 nights in Feb. 2013.
First off, only half of the rooms in the hotel are newly renovated, the other half are dated, old, and god awful. With one or two exceptions, the staff is lackluster and inattentive to any needs or problems. Our antiquated room had a brutally annoying squeaking noise, loud street noise, and a faulty smoke alarm that went off at 530am… twice. The best was when the front desk sent a security guard to the room to check out the smoke alarm, only to tell us he had to call the engineer…
The food is boring but not terrible, they serve out to the beach which is the best part of the hotel. The rest of the property is nice, and the location is great, but these are not redeeming qualities.
Save yourself the headache and book somewhere else!

Room Tip: Make sure your reservation is for a renovated room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The hotel misrepresented their accommodations completely. We had to move rooms twice because the rooms they gave us were not as booked. Unfortunately it was Art Basel week and we had nowhere else to go or we surely would have moved hotels. We ended join one of their "town homes." It was smelly and moldy and the hotel took no responsibility for the condition of the property. I would have been better off at a motel near the airport.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Maynard, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

The photos of the rooms make them appear far newer and cleaner than they are! We were lucky in that we had a bigger 'standard' room than I heard others had. Ours had a little loveseat, table/chairs and a bathroom with a proper vanity, but i heard others were smaller and no place to put items in the bathroom)
There was only a shower, it didn't have a door to close, just a glass wall on one side, so water splashed on the floor.
There were NO ice buckets in the room and NO ice machines - they said we could call house keeping. There was also no coffee machine.
The room did have a microwave, a fridge and a sink

The pool closes at 7 pm!! How stupid is that!
Continental breakfast is pretty slim - no fresh fruit, but the oatmeal was quite tasty. we asked for cinnamon but never received it. I had to ask for a glass of water each day.

The doors are super close to each other so you can really hear when your neighbor returns at 2 am!!

They allow smoking on their balconies which is really disgusting to sit out there to enjoy the view and have smoke coming up to great you!

They do have a nice outside area to sit beyond the pool which is nice.

They have this interior black bar that is just horribly designed, all black and dark, who would want to sit in there!

Room Tip: it is a great location, if you get a suite or one of the bigger rooms you may be more happy, but the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

The customer service here is appalling. The staff do not give a damn about any customer here. Even though you are paying to stay here. They do nothing to help solve your problem. When asked to speak with a supervisor we were hung up. Also told there was no supervisor. Then told the supervisor was busy. This hotel is really spiraling downwards, very quickly. I will be writing to the better business bureau and also calling the Wyndham (who they are associated with) to try and speak to someone. Since calling the Shelborne has got me no where.
Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.

• Stayed February 2013
Lynbrook, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

When trying to book a reservation with this hotel it was impossible. We called the hotel ready to book a suite in the Shelborne Miami. Customer service was horrific. We were treated horrible, hung up on twice and no one was able to offer a solution. when asked to speak with a supervisor to try and help solve the problem, we were hung up on, and told a supervisor does not exist. Then later was told the supervisor was "Busy". We had full intention to bok a reservation and did not succeed becuase of the inappropriate, disrespectful behavior of customer service by more than 1 staff member. Maybe they are going under and just do not care about customer service but the way we were talked to and treated was just appalling. We warn you if you book here and stay here then dont expect anything besides horrendous service. They have 10 complaints in the Better Business Bureau as well. They obviously don't care about providing satisfactory service for their potential customers. PLEASE BE ADVISED! DO NOT BOOK!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Shelborne South Beach, Wyndham Affiliate? Share your experiences!