Against my better judgement, I booked this hotel at the recommendation of the travel agent I spoke with when trying to find an upscale hotel in South Beach. I was told that the Shelborne gets excellent reviews on their site and the only reason it was rated only 3.5 stars was because it did not have the ammenities some of the 4 star and higher hotels did. That was not the case. I booked a king room at $365/night for a 1 night stay. The first room we were given has 2 double beds, which me being 7 ft tall does not come close to working. The room was disgusting with holes in the wall, apint peeling off, mold, dust everywhere, and stains all over the carpets. I called back to the front desk and the girl told me to wait in the room and she would call back in a minute with a new room. 30 minutes later, no call and I went back to the front desk. This time the girls gave me a king room, but this room was even worse than the first with disgusting stains, and furniture that had not been updated from the 1970s. I did walk past one of their updated rooms, which does look very nice like the website shows, but the rest of their rooms are deplorable and would not pass for a 1 star Motel 6. I called down to request a manger come up to the room but after no response, went back to the front desk. 20 minutes later a manger arrives and shows me to a room that he said was "the best he could do". This room certainly was cleaner, though not exceptional. There was still peeling paint on the ceiling, the TV did not have cables connecting it, and there was no coffee for the coffee maker or minibar as in the other rooms. Also, the king bed had been pulled 5 feet away from the wall for some reason and was in the middle of the room, making it impossible to use the phone. Which I guess doesn't matter here because the staff does not answer the phone anyhow. I called the front desk to request a taxi to take us to dinner and after being transfered several times, I finally let it ring for 5 minutes until someone answered. I was then told that the city was too busy to request a cab and they would try to see if they could hail one for me when we got downstairs. My wife and I proceeded to walk downstair and immediatley hailed a cab withing a minute while the valets were piddling around. When it came time for me to call for my car from the Valet, I asked for it to be delived before 9AM so we could get the the airport. At 9, the Valet manager told me it was coming , and at 9:10 we see the same guy finally driving the car up. I had called almost an hour before to get the car!
Bottom line, the rooms are poor quality, the staff is not interested in offereing good customer service, and the hotel is a gross misrepresentaion of what you actually will see when you get there. I would never stay here again.
- Also Known As:
- Shelborne South Beach Hotel
- Shelborne South Beach Hotel Miami Beach
- Shelborne Beach Hotel
- Shelborne Beach Miami
- Hotel Miami Shelbourne
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Boasting a multi million renovation to be complete at the end of 2011, the Shelborne makes a re-entry to the Miami Beach scene in a classic rebirth of perfect Art Deco style. Modern accommodations and amenities meld seamlessly with tropical retro ambiance while an amazing beachfront location calls you to relax among gentle ocean breezes. Offering an unbeatable location in the heart of the South Beach, the Shelborne is one of the largest meeting and event spaces with over 8,000 sq. ft. of indoor and outdoor flexible space. With three amazing dining outlets on site, there is something to meet everyone's likings. Greet the day with a warm espresso at Vesper American Brasserie outdoor cafe. Lunch and Dinner served daily both in the outdoor cafe and the indoor brasserie. Lucy's Cantina Royale serving up the best in tacos and homemade guacamole with chips made daily. Bar Tanaka is the newest sushi spot to hit South Beach, located in the lobby of the Hotel. Chef Zama Tanaka brings his skills from Philadelphia to serve some of the best sushi dishes Miami has to offer.Let Shelborne play host to any milestone event. Choose from four renovated spaces to accommodate intimate occasions or lavish affairs. Our referrals for preferred event planning specialists and our own onsite catering personnel and wait staff are here to assist with any and all event needs leading up to the big day. From weddings to Bar Mitzvahs, holiday parties to work conferences, Shelborne’s goal is to provide guests with our signature brand of all-inclusive hospitality. Utilizing the top resources on Miami Beach, we’re here to cater to your special celebration. Kick back and enjoy the festivities – and leave the heavy lifting to us. Vesper is the ideal setting to host an engagement party or rehearsal dinner. With three beautiful backdrops to set the tone for your big day, state of the art AV technology, and delicious fare, Vesper American Brasserie will leave both you and your guests extremely satisfied. Lucy's Cantina Royale is the perfect back drop to walk down the aisle as the sun is setting or an oasis to host your guests at a beachfront taqueria. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, BookIt.com, Amex, Agoda, Venere, Otel, Olotels, EasyToBook, Priceline, Wyndham, HotelsClick and Tingo so you can book your Shelborne South Beach, Wyndham Affiliate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.