“Beautiful Beach Location” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #160 of 201 hotels in Miami Beach
Oak Lawn, Illinois
“Beautiful Beach Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I go to South Beach 2 or 3 times a year. Last May I was talking to some girls who were staying at the Shelborne. They told me about the service and location of this hotel. So in December I decided to give a try. Boy was I surprised (in good way) . The front desk Addy very nice and Henry who helped me with my bags was so nice and friendly!!Vicky printed out my boarding pass for when I had to leave and got me a town car to go to the airport . (Same price as a cab but far better seeing how I was by myself). My room was BEAUTIFUL with a balcony facing the ocean.Wonderful to wake up to each morning!!! Breakfast was different cereals ,oatmeal and pastries with coffee and fresh orange juice you can make toast . You can also order breakfast which I did get eggs but I could not have the pototoes so I asked for fresh fruit which was SOOO GOOD !! Always coming out and checking on food and making sure coffee & orange juice was fresh. Pool service GREAT (loved the chicken fingers!!) The beach service was also WONDERFUL!!!

As you can tell I can't say enough about this hotel. REALLY enjoyed my stay and can't wait to go back!!!

Thanks to all the staff that made my stay so enjoyable!!!

P.S. Thank you to Holly in accounting for helping me out with a small problem.

Linda K ( Oak Lawn, IL)

Room Tip: Tell them you would like a ocean view as it is so relaxing to wake up and go out on the balcony to h...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

469 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

First time in Miami and loved my experience there. Loved the location and there was always something fun to do. I was really pleased with the service. The guy at the front desk, Addy was very polite. His smile is warm and inviting. He was courteous and very knowledgable of activities in the area. I'll definitely recommend all my friends in the UK to stay at this hip cool place.

• Stayed November 2012
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

This place is excellent. Wonderful rooms. Beautiful scenery. I am from chicago and was just vising some with some friends. 5 stars. The front desk personel was so helpful. A gentle men name Addy Guerrier showed me to me room when i got lost. He was very polite. He also told me about some nice activites and resturants i should do and visit while i'm here. I wold defintly recommend this place to a friend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Kingston, Jamaica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

This hotel is in a great location, has an awesome lobby and friendly staff. Our room appeared to be newly renovated. It was clean, trendy, flat screen tv, marble top desk and it had an ocean view. What made our experience amazing was the hotel night manager Kevin Ochieng. My best piece of advice for you is: If you check in at night ask for him. He goes beyond the call of duty to make you happy! We would definitely return to the hotel because of how special he made the experience for us.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has been renovated. The view is amazing - if you like heights ask for a high fl...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I was put up at the Shelborne over a long weekend and was delighted by the accommodations and the staff. I had a few requests that the staff went out of their to honor and was very impressed. Also, they have a great setup both at their new pool and on the beach.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a conference over an extended weekend. The service was impeccable and the rooms were filled with awesome amenities. Highly recomend the shelborne to anyone looking for great value and service in south beach!

• Stayed December 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is my first Tripadvisor review, and I am writing it because I feel it is my duty to warn others about this property. I have stayed at 500+ hotels during my 25-year career, and this is the second worst. It reminds me of a car for sale that has a bad engine, so the owner waxes the exterior to make it shine, cleans the interior so it looks like new, and then hopes that the buyer won't try to drive it before he/she hands over the cash and signs the sales contract that says "As-Is." When you walk into the Shelborne's lobby, you feel like you are walking into a W Hotel. Very chic and upscale. The desk staff is nice and polite, and you feel like this is going to be a great experience. In my case, I was traveling with my wife, who had to travel to Miami for business, so I was there for the ride. Not my money paying for the room, so I was forgiving and it was not my place to complain to the hotel about the room, but I will share my thoughts with others who are planning to spend their own hard-earned cash on a weekend getaway or vacation. I have listed below the primary issues with the hotel and our room:
1.) The room was dusty, dirty, the curtains were stained, the decor looked like it came from items discarded by Goodwill, and I have seen nicer furniture in thrift stores.
2.) The bathroom had black mold growing in it, and rust was prevalent on many of the metal fixtures. The shower water temperature went from scalding to freezing without warning or reason.
3.) The room temperature was very warm and the A/C blew lukewarm air. We slept without covers or sheet each night. The air conditioning unit was in the closet, and looked like it was an accident waiting to happen, with wires hanging down from the ceiling.
4.) For two of the three days we stayed at the hotel, only one elevator service a 17-floor hotel, and that one elevator went out of service on the night of 12/8, forcing my wife to walk up to our twelfth floor room in heels.
5.) The ceilings in the bedroom and bathroom were cracked and looked precarious, while the tile floor was cracked in places as well, and the door to the balcony was covered by a piece of plastic that was haphazardly attached to act as a window shade.
I could go on-and-on, but I think you get the picture.
6.) We went to the pool twice, and each time they were out of towels. We had to wait 20-30 minutes until towels arrived.
7.) The temperature in the dusty fitness room (can't call it a "center") was set at 79 degrees, and when I asked to have it made cooler, I was told that that was as cool as it would get.
I could go on-and-on, but I think you get the picture. You work hard for your money, and deserve to enjoy the hotel where you stay for your vacation. The bottom line is that you can do much better than the Shelborne.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Shelborne South Beach, Wyndham Affiliate? Share your experiences!