“good location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #150 of 197 hotels in Miami Beach
Nice, France
“good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

great location, great pool and bar with access to the beach. Poor breakfast, hotel front desk service is unfriendly, rooms are clean but need to check details. The chair of the room 536 it is broken, asked to change it 3 times and nothing happened...

Room Tip: be aware of check-in time
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Samantha R, Guest Relations Manager at Shelborne South Beach, Wyndham Affiliate, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Andres74, Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive feedback regarding your recent stay. I apologize if the service that you received was unsatisfactory. I will be discussing this with our management and front desk in order to address the issues that you encountered during your stay. We would love to make it up to you and make your experience a great one. Please contact us at shelborneguest@meninhotels.com in order to accommodate you in the future.

464 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I feel I was cheated with this booking as it was just deceitful. Consider reading this and the other reviews before staying here. My room was nothing like in the pictures. Hotel is under renovation and maybe the rooms will look that someday. Check-in was a hassle and I was told the type room I had selected was not available and that they were full to capacity but would try to accommodate me. I had selected a Queen Room with Breakfast included. But the night manager said the hotel offered no Queen Beds and continental breakfast was included only as part of an extra resort fee of $25. After some arguing with the night manager I paid the extra $25 and I got an old room in the West Bldg that looked like it could use a major overhaul, fresh coat of paint, new tile floor and other renovations. The extra $25 resort fee, which included free drinks (4-6pm), pool towels and breakfast was not disclosed when I reserved and I felt I was cheated. I never got breakfast, as the delay was too long to wait and due to rain I could not use the pool and drinks were offered during the time I had checked out, so the extra $25 was a total scam. Nice rooms are available for a higher price tag. For the rate I got, I could have stayed at nearby hotels, plenty to choose from.

Room Tip: Beware -- There is a mandatory $25 resort fee and many of the rooms have not yet been renovated, som...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Samantha R, Guest Relations Manager at Shelborne South Beach, Wyndham Affiliate, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Miami-Ed, I am very sorry to hear about your bad experience during your stay at our hotel and how you felt cheated. Our website does state that the Resort Fee will be an additional $25 that will be taken at check in which entitles you to unlimited internet service, continental breakfast, 1 complimentary happy hour drink and poolside service including lounge chairs, towels and beach umbrellas. In regards to your room accommodations rest assured your comments will be shared directly with our management team in an effort to correct these issues you have mentioned. Please contact us at shelborneguest@meninhotels.com and give us a chance to turn your experience into a good one for the future. Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and we hope to see you again in the future.
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The pool and sourrounding area is really nice, that's about it. I stayed in a 'standard room' for 2 nights and the room was uncomfotable. The air con was very loud, the window wouldn't open, electrics were not working properly - bulbs flickering throughout the night, shower was very poor - I then moved to a 'refurbished room' for 2 nights - which was better. The refurbished room was fine, although I'm not convinced the refurbishment has been done to a high standard - that said I had a good sized balcony and the bed / shower was OK. Staff at the hotel were hepful. The breakfast continental buffet was very poor, no fruit, just a few pastries and coffee, juice. Overall the standard of the food was poor - chicken or beef served mainly (this was a conference I was attending) the food was comparable with a poor airline! Shelborne Hotel had 70 very influential travel industry professionals in their hotel and unfortunately impressed no-one.

Room Tip: Avoid Standard Rooms. I moved to 608 which was much better - great balcony.
Wakefield, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Participated in a business conference. Arrived at 2:15 pm and could not check in until exactly 4:00 pm. Room was ok, light bulbs blown and not replaced; very little electrical outlets, not business friendly. Poor ability to respond, staff is either inexperienced or do not really care. Limited food choice, loud music throughout lobby area. Room doors don't fit properly, loud slamming all the
time because they don't fit properly. If there is a service elevator, someone should tell the staff where it is located.

Skip this property

Chevy Chase, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Rooms are terrible. Mine is looking at the wall of the construction. Sheets on my bed are wet, little balcony, if you can call it that way is discussing, full of garbage. Hotel bar is empty(wonder why). Last night the bartender ordered pizza delivery for himself and had the pizza box spread on the back counter, a slice of pepperoni stuff in his face. Give me a break. I am part of big hotel buyers group and this place is of my list. Go next door to National or for few dollars more to Delano. Do not waste you money here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear GGoran, On behalf of the entire Shelborne Team, I would like to apologize for your less than exemplary experience at our hotel. We are taking your detailed feedback very seriously and will use it for training purposes as our goal is to provide exceptional service and create remarkable experiences for all our guests. Rest assured your comments regarding the bartender and room view will be shared directly with our management team in an effort to correct the issues you have mentioned. Our mission is to be the best hotel and we hope you will give us another chance to prove this to you with your next visit. Please contact us at shelborneguest@meninhotels.com and give us a chance to turn your experience into a good one for the future.
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The title of this review succinctly reflects the services at this hotel. In fact don't come at all if you know whats good for you. Read on if you want to know why (its the long version).

As a member of the travel industry, I have experienced highs and lows throughout my dozen or so years in the trade; from agencies, airlines and, most certainly hotels, surprises and frustrations (when bad) go hand in hand with the astonishing and sublime (when good). For me at least it is a case of been there-done that as a vendor and as a user; until today.

The Shelborne Hotel somehow managed to conjure up the worst feelings of helplessness and utter disgust in me in a vendor (hotel) like none other until today.

Like many travelers, the front desk experience is typically the alpha and the omega of your hotel experience, whatever else happens thereafter is a pale consolation for that all important -Moment of Truth.

I arrived at 6am on this day (staying one hour more at the airport there is F&B available and people to watch, in spite if the 5am arrival into Miami from San Francisco. I fully expected the hotel to not be able to find me a room until after the usual check out times (normally 12pm).

The message from Front Desk was that my room would only be ready at 4pm. An unusually long time by any stretch of the imagination- I stoically accepted the circumstances, handed over my passport and credit card for imprinting, and then waited for breakfast to be served at the hotel at 7am.

After breakfast, I arranged for a far off shopping trip, but even after taking what I thought would be the slowest way back (by the public bus), I was still ahead of the 4pm "advertised schedule". At 2pm, I went up to a fresh team of Front Desk staff to ask if there was "any room" available for me, and once again, I was told that one would ONLY be ready at 4pm.

Once again, I went to the restaurant where I met a couple of colleagues from different regions, and we caught up over a round of drinks. Between 2.30pm and 3pm, one of the colleagues "lost" his iphone when he was in the pool side change room, (he too had not checked in). We found out later that he managed to get a room shortly after this incident. I caught up with another friend, and we approached the Front Desk at 3.30pm, and the answer was still - No.

At this point, I had given up on getting any room before 4pm; As we spoke at the closed bar, another friend came over and told us that he had "lost" his bag while getting out of the cab at the hotel. Twice unlucky for "us".

At 4pm, a few of us (numbering 4 now), went to see if our rooms were ready. All got ther rooms except me. For whatever reason, I was the last to be served), but that was okay. (The staff did not seem to know how to prioritize their guest)

They then told me that "MY" room, was still not ready, but the Front Desk called a supervisor over to assist them, (this person did not acknowledge or speak to me, nor did he explain anything to me.) I asked if my room was special, to which one of them said - it is VERY special, but did not elaborate- SACARISSIMO perhaps?

They then informed me that I had to give them my passport and credit card again, to which I firmly refused. I asked for the Manager to come and ask it from me personally, and explain why the copies from 6am were not properly kept and handed over to the next shift. No one from the Management came over to explain anything, and to my knowledge, no room was ready for me.

It was at this point that I finally raised my voice and slap the counter top with my palm twice. I firmly asked the hapless staff for an immediate solution, (note: I never once threatening anyone).
What could I do, leave???

It was at this time that I noticed noticed from the corner of my eye, that a short and dark suited individual was standing ever closer to me drawn by the commotion that I had become embroiled in. The short young man was being to get into my personal space, so I turned around to my right and asked him directly, if he was a member of the staff, and if so, to back off immediately. The man did not volunteer an answer, but one of the Front Desk staff replied that he was indeed a staff (probably Security), and asked him to give me a little space.

This man never really backed off, but in all honesty, although I did not see him as a threat, he would have been a problem for others. Why? Because he did not identify himself as a member of the hotel staff, and worse- HE HAD NO NAME BADGE OR TITLE, which would have given a genuine trouble maker (which I was not), pause for concern or thought. What is the point of security if you cannot act as a deterrent??? (note: he security staff who assisted in the matter of the "lost" phone at the pool, all had identifiable tags indicating their role in the hotel, whether they were in poolside uniform, or as the Manager was, in a suit.)

I finally received got my room key after grudgingly providing my passport and credit card over a second time, but this time my credit card was rejected- murphy's law, or from my overspending? I handed over 3 more cards, but decided that this show had gone on long enough, I handed over some cash, and it was appropriately acknowledged with a receipt.

The parting comment from Front Desk was, " I hope you have a nice stay", I was close to turning back and asking if it was a JOKE, or were they being SARCASTIC. In the end, I thought twice, because the midget in the suit may finally have the justification to attack me, I chose instead to share this experience with those of you who would be misled by air-brushed photos and a slick marketing pitch from this hotel.

Beware: 1. They don't seem to have a guideline for effective customer handling
2. You are just a number to them, there is no flexibility in their approach
3. It never even entered their head that over the next few days over 50 delegates from the travel Industry will be their guests (we are all registered under the same group)
4. NO Management support will be forthcoming, to aid their staff
5. It goes without saying from no.4, that the front line staff are empowered to do the necessary to help the client and to defuse the situation
6. Difficult to locate the right F&B staff at poolside to order drinks (she was bent over the counter talking on the phone, I actually mistook her for a guest)

Miami is a great convention and vacation city, a real melting pot with wonderful Spanish, French and even English accents everywhere (Culture, Language, Pace). You decide if this is how you want your Miami experience to be remembered.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed at Shelborne recently when we were stranded in Miami. We were due to fly to NY during Hurricane Sandy. Shelborne was very nice and clean. The staffs were friendly and helpful. Jonathan check me in @ 2am and Darling answering all of my questions. The best meal we had was one night at the Dal Toro Bistro, Spaghetti Pomodoro e Basilica! They made us feel very welcome. The beds were comfortable enough for us. It is in very close walking distance to the beach, shopping, and all kinds of dining/night life places. My room had a nice view and I recommend this hotel to anyone regardless of the reason for your trip. I recommend this place

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear DavidD843, What a nice and thoughtful review. We are delighted to hear you had a wonderful stay in South Beach despite getting stranded due to Hurricane Sandy. Our goal here at the Shelborne is to create unforgettable memories for our guests and I am pleased to learn that our staff was able to accomplished this for you. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and recognize our front desk staff Darling and Jonathan. We hope to see you again in the near future!

Been to Shelborne South Beach, Wyndham Affiliate? Share your experiences!