“Bad, waste of money” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #160 of 201 hotels in Miami Beach
Chevy Chase, Maryland
“Bad, waste of money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Rooms are terrible. Mine is looking at the wall of the construction. Sheets on my bed are wet, little balcony, if you can call it that way is discussing, full of garbage. Hotel bar is empty(wonder why). Last night the bartender ordered pizza delivery for himself and had the pizza box spread on the back counter, a slice of pepperoni stuff in his face. Give me a break. I am part of big hotel buyers group and this place is of my list. Go next door to National or for few dollars more to Delano. Do not waste you money here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Samantha R, Guest Relations Manager at Shelborne South Beach, Wyndham Affiliate, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear GGoran, On behalf of the entire Shelborne Team, I would like to apologize for your less than exemplary experience at our hotel. We are taking your detailed feedback very seriously and will use it for training purposes as our goal is to provide exceptional service and create remarkable experiences for all our guests. Rest assured your comments regarding the bartender and room view will be shared directly with our management team in an effort to correct the issues you have mentioned. Our mission is to be the best hotel and we hope you will give us another chance to prove this to you with your next visit. Please contact us at shelborneguest@meninhotels.com and give us a chance to turn your experience into a good one for the future.

469 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The title of this review succinctly reflects the services at this hotel. In fact don't come at all if you know whats good for you. Read on if you want to know why (its the long version).

As a member of the travel industry, I have experienced highs and lows throughout my dozen or so years in the trade; from agencies, airlines and, most certainly hotels, surprises and frustrations (when bad) go hand in hand with the astonishing and sublime (when good). For me at least it is a case of been there-done that as a vendor and as a user; until today.

The Shelborne Hotel somehow managed to conjure up the worst feelings of helplessness and utter disgust in me in a vendor (hotel) like none other until today.

Like many travelers, the front desk experience is typically the alpha and the omega of your hotel experience, whatever else happens thereafter is a pale consolation for that all important -Moment of Truth.

I arrived at 6am on this day (staying one hour more at the airport there is F&B available and people to watch, in spite if the 5am arrival into Miami from San Francisco. I fully expected the hotel to not be able to find me a room until after the usual check out times (normally 12pm).

The message from Front Desk was that my room would only be ready at 4pm. An unusually long time by any stretch of the imagination- I stoically accepted the circumstances, handed over my passport and credit card for imprinting, and then waited for breakfast to be served at the hotel at 7am.

After breakfast, I arranged for a far off shopping trip, but even after taking what I thought would be the slowest way back (by the public bus), I was still ahead of the 4pm "advertised schedule". At 2pm, I went up to a fresh team of Front Desk staff to ask if there was "any room" available for me, and once again, I was told that one would ONLY be ready at 4pm.

Once again, I went to the restaurant where I met a couple of colleagues from different regions, and we caught up over a round of drinks. Between 2.30pm and 3pm, one of the colleagues "lost" his iphone when he was in the pool side change room, (he too had not checked in). We found out later that he managed to get a room shortly after this incident. I caught up with another friend, and we approached the Front Desk at 3.30pm, and the answer was still - No.

At this point, I had given up on getting any room before 4pm; As we spoke at the closed bar, another friend came over and told us that he had "lost" his bag while getting out of the cab at the hotel. Twice unlucky for "us".

At 4pm, a few of us (numbering 4 now), went to see if our rooms were ready. All got ther rooms except me. For whatever reason, I was the last to be served), but that was okay. (The staff did not seem to know how to prioritize their guest)

They then told me that "MY" room, was still not ready, but the Front Desk called a supervisor over to assist them, (this person did not acknowledge or speak to me, nor did he explain anything to me.) I asked if my room was special, to which one of them said - it is VERY special, but did not elaborate- SACARISSIMO perhaps?

They then informed me that I had to give them my passport and credit card again, to which I firmly refused. I asked for the Manager to come and ask it from me personally, and explain why the copies from 6am were not properly kept and handed over to the next shift. No one from the Management came over to explain anything, and to my knowledge, no room was ready for me.

It was at this point that I finally raised my voice and slap the counter top with my palm twice. I firmly asked the hapless staff for an immediate solution, (note: I never once threatening anyone).
What could I do, leave???

It was at this time that I noticed noticed from the corner of my eye, that a short and dark suited individual was standing ever closer to me drawn by the commotion that I had become embroiled in. The short young man was being to get into my personal space, so I turned around to my right and asked him directly, if he was a member of the staff, and if so, to back off immediately. The man did not volunteer an answer, but one of the Front Desk staff replied that he was indeed a staff (probably Security), and asked him to give me a little space.

This man never really backed off, but in all honesty, although I did not see him as a threat, he would have been a problem for others. Why? Because he did not identify himself as a member of the hotel staff, and worse- HE HAD NO NAME BADGE OR TITLE, which would have given a genuine trouble maker (which I was not), pause for concern or thought. What is the point of security if you cannot act as a deterrent??? (note: he security staff who assisted in the matter of the "lost" phone at the pool, all had identifiable tags indicating their role in the hotel, whether they were in poolside uniform, or as the Manager was, in a suit.)

I finally received got my room key after grudgingly providing my passport and credit card over a second time, but this time my credit card was rejected- murphy's law, or from my overspending? I handed over 3 more cards, but decided that this show had gone on long enough, I handed over some cash, and it was appropriately acknowledged with a receipt.

The parting comment from Front Desk was, " I hope you have a nice stay", I was close to turning back and asking if it was a JOKE, or were they being SARCASTIC. In the end, I thought twice, because the midget in the suit may finally have the justification to attack me, I chose instead to share this experience with those of you who would be misled by air-brushed photos and a slick marketing pitch from this hotel.

Beware: 1. They don't seem to have a guideline for effective customer handling
2. You are just a number to them, there is no flexibility in their approach
3. It never even entered their head that over the next few days over 50 delegates from the travel Industry will be their guests (we are all registered under the same group)
4. NO Management support will be forthcoming, to aid their staff
5. It goes without saying from no.4, that the front line staff are empowered to do the necessary to help the client and to defuse the situation
6. Difficult to locate the right F&B staff at poolside to order drinks (she was bent over the counter talking on the phone, I actually mistook her for a guest)

Miami is a great convention and vacation city, a real melting pot with wonderful Spanish, French and even English accents everywhere (Culture, Language, Pace). You decide if this is how you want your Miami experience to be remembered.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed at Shelborne recently when we were stranded in Miami. We were due to fly to NY during Hurricane Sandy. Shelborne was very nice and clean. The staffs were friendly and helpful. Jonathan check me in @ 2am and Darling answering all of my questions. The best meal we had was one night at the Dal Toro Bistro, Spaghetti Pomodoro e Basilica! They made us feel very welcome. The beds were comfortable enough for us. It is in very close walking distance to the beach, shopping, and all kinds of dining/night life places. My room had a nice view and I recommend this hotel to anyone regardless of the reason for your trip. I recommend this place

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear DavidD843, What a nice and thoughtful review. We are delighted to hear you had a wonderful stay in South Beach despite getting stranded due to Hurricane Sandy. Our goal here at the Shelborne is to create unforgettable memories for our guests and I am pleased to learn that our staff was able to accomplished this for you. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and recognize our front desk staff Darling and Jonathan. We hope to see you again in the near future!
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This hotel is 3 blocks from Ocean Drive and still in a section of town that has an Art Deco feel. Close to the pedestrian shopping and restaurant district.
The hotel has family rooms which is good value for us. However, when we checked in we were shown to a lovely room but it only had one bed. We had to point out that all 4 of us were not going to fit in one bed so they gave us a choice of 2 other family rooms. But the decor was nothing like the first room. We had a great view of the ocean but the room had no carpet and was shabby. We complained saying the room we had been given looked nothing like the website photos. They agreed saying not all the rooms had been refurbished yet and offered to move us if a room became available. In the end we asked for a discount and they gave us $100 off. The beach in front of the hotel is great and the hotel has staff, sun beds and parasols all complimentary. The diving board is just for show and is only a water feature but the pool is nice and they were developing the gardens when we were there. A good stay if make sure you are getting a refurbished room and you are prepared to manage any issues - they seem to be agreeable but it does not come from the hotel's initiative.

Room Tip: Insist on a refurbished room. If you get that then this is good value option.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Samantha R, Guest Relations Manager at Shelborne South Beach, Wyndham Affiliate, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Sue M, We truly appreciate the honest feedback you provided regarding your recent stay with us. We apologize for the challenges you encountered regarding your room accommodations and we will be notifying front desk management in order to further improve guest experiences. We appreciate you taking the time to write this review and I am glad to hear although you had some inconveniences you were still able to enjoy our newly renovated property . If there is anything we can do to turn this experience around please contact us at shelborneguest@meninhotels.com and we will be very happy to assist you. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

The service we recieved at this hotel was very exceptional, from the front desk, to house keeping, to the restaurant and bar located in the back. The staff are friendly, helpful and welcoming, they also excerise professionalism. The location was perfect, certain rooms had beautiful beach views. Located on Collins Ave in the heart of South Beach, it is very convenient for tourist. They recently renovated some of their rooms and they are spacious, clean and comfortable. The front desk representative, Addy, exemplified professional service, he met our needs as the hotel guests and any services we needed he provided to our satisfaction. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to south beach and when I travel to South Beach again, the Shelborne will be my first option.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Samantha R, Guest Relations Manager at Shelborne South Beach, Wyndham Affiliate, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Natty_Boogie, WOW! What a wonderful review. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts from your recent stay with us. We were delighted to hear our colleagues went above and beyond in their service delivery and are humbled that you consider the Shelborne as your first option when returning to South Florida. I look forward to sharing your review with Addy and the entire Shelborne Team as we take customer service very seriously and we strive every day to make our guests experiences even more amazing. Thank you again for this wonderful review and for appreciating our newly renovated property and prime location on 18th and Collins. We hope to see you in the near future!
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed at this hotel for one night. Checkin was a breeze. Once i arrived at my room I swiped my keycard and realived I had to kick tne door for it to open. Not a good thing. The free contintental breakfast is horrible. After checking out the next day I left my luggage with the hotel to do a little shopping on the ave. When I picked up my luggage the handle was broken, making it impossible to use. Once i notified management they gave me a very hard time. They did not want to replace my bag that was broken in tneir posession. At the end all tney would do was refund my $25.00 resort fee, which was a huge disappointment being tnat my bag cost so much more. I will not be staying at this hotel again.:-)

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear kbyrd, We are very sorry to hear about the challenges you encountered during your stay. We greatly appreciate your honest feedback and your detailed description of your stay will be shared with all managers and will serve as a guideline to address each of the issues you have brought to our attention. Once again, we apologize for the inconveniences and hope we could win you back. Please contact us directly at shelborneguest@meninhotels.com, we value you as a guest and hope to have the opportunity to impress you during a future stay.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

They have done a great job with the renovation of this hotel, I've been going to South Beach for a long time and have stayed at the best and worst hotels. This hotel was great, I was there for work and it was conveniently located. The room was pleasantly nice and the size was good, we had a great view of the ocean.

if you're a party person, they had a huge pool party on Saturday afternoon which looked like lot's of fun, if you like more of a quiet place, this is not the hotel for you. The restaurant/bar by the pool had great drinks and food, I was not impressed by the other restaurant on the premises, there are other much better restaurants in SoBe.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Shelborne South Beach, Wyndham Affiliate? Share your experiences!