“The worst hotel I've ever been in my life.” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #157 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
“The worst hotel I've ever been in my life.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is a fake. The exterior is beautiful, fantastic, the pool is beautiful, but the rest of it sucks. The service is terrible, the staff are ineficient, without any autonomy, and inexperience. The rooms are dirty, and their not all new. The hotel is in a make over, that start ate 7pm!! The service takes hours. The breakfast is the worst ever!! Don't go to this hotel, it will never be a good hotel.

• Stayed January 2012
JaredGalbut, General Manager at Shelborne South Beach, Wyndham Affiliate, responded to this review, January 10, 2012
We apologize for any inconveince you might have experienced during your stay. We are finishing up a very exciting and wonderful renovation now that is almost complete to this historic landmark. Your unfortunate experience at Vesper is not the true experience and we would like to invite you back to both the hotel and restaurant at a special rate. We have received wonderful reviews on the restaurant and want to make sure you receive the same experience. Please contact rdavis@meninhotels.com. Thank you.

467 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

On arrival I was told I had to pay USD15 resort fee + tax which covered free newspaper, free towels, free wifi. I was told by friendly customer service person that usually USD25 but reduced as fitness centre not working. I had a car so had to pay USD37 + tax for valet parking as NO parking anywhere in Miami except in high cost parking garage. The porter was very helpful and took our bags to the room. The front desk staff and porters were very helpful and friendly. The lobby, bar area and pool areas looked great, but the rooms are in a poor state. That is where the nightmare started. Couldn't get door open. The door was too big for the opening and jammed in. Looked like new door (but very thin and cheap) as hadn't been painted down one edge. It gets worse. The beds weren't comfortable, cracked plasterwork, shower not working with hole in wall showing pipes behind knob and no bath waste/just hole in bottom of bath for small child to get hand stuck in and no bath plug. Bathroom was extremely small. The room appeared shabby and unclean. On calling the front desk, we were shown another 2 rooms on lower floors with no ocean view. Not great as we had paid higher price for ocean view. Anyway, these 2 rooms had their own problems with electric wiring hanging from ceiling through open square hole, unsafe power point, outdated furniture, cracks in plasterwork, although bed was more comfortable. We had 2 children with us, so were looking for a safe room. None of the rooms we were shown had fire/emergency exit procedures poster, fire alarms or sprinklers that we could see which made me nervous. Karla (Manager Front Desk) was very helpful when we called again and gave us the key to look at 2 more rooms. (1) was got to by the mezzanine level and had to walk along hallway with dirty floor as carpets had been ripped up ready to be replaced and had piece timber over stairs. (2) was opposite reception and was the best of all the rooms we'd been shown however heaps of music noise all night from closeby bar. Karla did warn of this but we chose this room as only staying the one night and easier to depart in the morning. This room was on 3 levels and the bathrooms appeared to have been renovated and beds were comfortable. Had lots of music noise during night from closeby bar. Website is misleading. We were thankful for Karla's help as we had already prepaid for hotel accomodation with our travel agent on her recommendation and couldn't change hotels even though we wished we could. She had stayed at the hotel previously. I raised concerns with her as hotel website said under renovation but she assured me that hotel was good. I have passed on issues I had to travel agent advising her not to recommend in future. Don't bother emailing the hotel with any concerns as I have sent 2 emails with no response to either. The only good point about the hotel (and there is only the one) is that it is in a very good location - close to the shopping mall and restaurants and right on the beach. If you do decide to stay at this hotel - don't bother using the restaurant for the 'free' continental breakfast, which by the way we only got 2 complimentary continental breakfasts and there were 4 of us in the room. Couldn't comprehend. Anyway, the continental breakfast only consists of juice, a couple of mini muffins, croissant and danish in a basket. Wouldn't feed a bird. I suppose it was free though. My sons ordered cooked breakfast and it wasn't up to scratch and Manager argued with us when we complained and wouldn't give refund. What happened to good customer service.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

Don't stay here unless you want to stay in a noisy, filthy, construction site, where the hammering and sawing begin at 7am and last all day long. One of the workers installing the fire alarms let himself into my room while i was getting dressed. Very nice. For this pleasure, we paid more than $400 a night PLUS a $25 dollar a day resort fee to "vacation" in a dusty, noisy work zone. If you're Bob the Builder, you might find this hotel appealing. If you value your sleep, and don't think power tools at 7am sound like a great vacation, stay somewhere else. The place looks great from the outside.. beautiful pool, gorgeous beachfront location, super-friendly helfpful staff, fabulous restaurant..but do NOT be fooled. staying here is a NIGHTMARE.

Room Tip: choose another hotel!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Samantha R, Guest Relations Manager at Shelborne South Beach, Wyndham Affiliate, responded to this review, January 10, 2012
Our apologies for the inconvenience during your stay. We are currently in the last process of our renovation so the rest of the hotel can look as beautiful as the completed areas. I am going to let the head of engineering know about the disturbance in your room. Pleased to hear about your positive reviews of the friendliness of my staff and your wonderful experience at our restaurants! I would like to invite you back to stay at the Shelborne at a special rate so you can have a truly great experience at the Shelborne. Please email shelborneguest@meninhotels.com to coordinate your future stay with us!
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

The hotel itself is beautiful and the facilities are clean and renovated. However, the hotel services suck! I had problems with my heater twice and they took forever to fix it. They also said they would bring me extra covers and never did. Another major problem I had was with our keys to get into the room. I went down at least 5 times to request help to open the door since there was something wrong every time we would go Back up. The people working there are nice but not very help or efficient. At one point I called requesting to talk to a manager and never got a call back, so frustrating! As I write this I am waiting for the valet to find the key to my car that I requested to be brought to me about an hour ago!
Overall the hotel is nice but it definitely lacks some customer service. For all of you thinking about staying there with family members or anybody else other than your mates, watch out- the bathrooms have glass doors and tons of mirrors so there is basically no privacy what so ever.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the wonderful feedback regarding your stay! I am pleased to hear you enjoyed utilizing the facilities at the hotel! I appreciate the feedback regarding your service and will let the front desk managers know about the issues that you were having. I apologize for any inconvenince during your stay. Since we are brand new we are working to make sure everything is up to standards for our guests so they can enjoy the most out of their stay. Please email shelborneguest@meninhotels.com if you wish to return to receive a special rate.
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

Do not stay at the hotel unless you want to live in hell. My girlfriends and I paid good money to stay here and everything about it is broke, ruined or dirty. We arrived and were given a room that had not been cleaned. We asked to change rooms and then we were given a room that was dirty and there were still cups with drink left in them in the fridge. The hotel manager then began to put the blame on our booking agency. Even the staff think the hotel is a joke. We were told by a very nice bell boy that the hotel staff departments are all not working together because they are sick of unhappy guests. He also said that complaints happen more than you would imagine. Do not take the hotels website seriously because it is nothing like it portrays. Very disappointed is a gross understatement.

Room Tip: No room is a good room
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Kate- I apologize for the state in which you received your room when you checked in. I assure you this is not what the Shelborne brand is about! During our renovation period we make sure that all rooms are maintained regularly and are thoroughly checked prior to any guest arrival. I would like to invite you back to our hotel to stay at a special rate so you can get a feel for the true Shelborne experience. Please email shelborneguest@meninhotels.com to book your stay or make a reservation at one of our amazing food and beverage outlets.
BC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

We stayed at the Shelborne Hotel the Month of Nov./11 We rented the Condo through Sunspot Vacations, who told us all the reno's would be completed. This was not so, Dec. 1st. the day we left it was done. The pool, gym, was closed. Fire alarms going off, constant construction noise even at night. They would shut the air conditioning down. This was the worst holiday ever!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011 via mobile

Classic "bait and switch" business model. The Shelborne website prortrays the property as a modern, slick resort but the actual property and service tell a radically different story. Realize a majority of the rooms are privately owned. As a result, guest room standards, amenities and updates are left to the owner's discretion. Translation: dilapidated rooms each with their own set of major problems! I saw 5 different rooms upon check-in - each one looked like a dumpy motel room circa 1970. Moreover, each room had a problem: exposed electrical wires, malfunctioning toilets, broken A/C units, etc. To make matters worse some rooms are undergoing gut renovations. I could not use the room from 7a-7p because of noise, dust and hazardous conditions. If you don't mind renting a room in a construction site and dealing with unethical and insensitive management - the website does not offer a construction caveat or provide pictures of the dilapidated privately owned rooms - then this is the place for you. It's worth mentioning that I checked out as soon as possible - SoBe has so many great options - with a 10% refund. Talk about adding insult to injury! Avoid and don't spend your hard earned money and vacation time on a hotel that's looking to simply churn a quick buck!

• Stayed December 2011
I am truly sorry for the inconvenience that you experienced during your stay at the Shelborne. We are currently finishing up the last of our renovation process. I Hope that you took full advantage of our amazing food and beverage outlets and renovated pool deck and the minor construction that we are still undergoing didn't affect your stay entirely. I would love to invite you back to the hotel to stay at a special rate. Please email shelborneguest@meninhotels.com to book your stay or make a reservation at one of the restaurants.

Been to Shelborne South Beach, Wyndham Affiliate? Share your experiences!