“hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #157 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

the hotel a great place beautifull place, just remodel and its just looking great, the rooms arent just like they offer them, they arent fully remodeled, and they're just still on construction, lots of construction, elevators just take a buch of time, we had no power or water a couple of hours, but at those times we just got our suits on and we headed to the pool or the beach, as soon as i got there it was looking beautiful, but that isnt just the begging, we had NICK tall young guy extremely friendly and, he treated us like we were in a different place, hes service was just over the top, he helped us, keeped checking on us to see if we were doing good or we needed anything, he talked to us about he's job and he knew the spots were to recommend people to go, like joes stone crab (AWESOME), chalan the peruvian food place, mangos the latin dancing club, also clubs like set, louis, mokai, hes service was just GREAT, he helped us a couple of days on the beach and the pool, he's welcome was GREAT MORNING, something were not used to that specially from a young guy, and offered us but didn't promise trying to help us on accomodating us on our room, or get us complimentary drinks just because of what we were going trhu. (Not even hes job) besides that the hotel did good, food at lucys was really good. keep up the good work and we would really like nick to help us next time!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Samantha R, Guest Relations Manager at Shelborne South Beach, Wyndham Affiliate, responded to this review, January 10, 2012
Adrian,
Thank you for such a positive review! I always love hearing great feedback about the hotel and my staff! I will be forwarding your review along to the appropriate departments. We train our staff to deliver the excellent service to our guests such as that you received. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and are looking forward to coming back again! Please email us when you will be returning so we can coordinate a reservation for you- shelborneguest@meninhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

Ok so I am very used to the south beach hotels, and I have to stay that Shelborne had a bad reputation because it was old rooms, dirty look, bad customers, bad service, etc.
Today, with NO HESITATION, i would place Shelborne above Shore club and Raleigh, and may be even above Delano.
Great renovation, rooms, lobby, bars, pool, beach bar, very art deco atmosphere, and very cozy hotel. Added to it is the perfect location so this hotel is just a combination of a little paradise.
Rates are great compared to other hotels, try to take a room with a balcony.
The breakfast shows the quality of the food at the Shelborne, and dinner at the Vesper, apparently owned by a great Chef, was a fantastic experience. Make sure to reserve as it s become one of the fanciest restaurants.
Let's be objective and really discard all the old reviews, this is a completely different hotel!!!
Last thing: it would be interesting to compare the quality vs price of the Shelborne and other hotels: either Shelborne is cheap for what it offers, or the other hotels are way too expensive :)

Room Tip: Balcony views are breathtaking
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Samantha R, Guest Relations Manager at Shelborne South Beach, Wyndham Affiliate, responded to this review, January 12, 2012
Thank you for such a wonderful review! We put a lot of time and effort into make the Shelborne what it is today. I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed the restaurants and your stay! Look forward to having you come back in the near future.
Portland Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

I did a vacation in 2009 to the Shelborne with a condo owner vs Hotel and was presently surprised at the location and amenities of what I got for $99 a night. Free Bottle of wine on arrival, Free beach and pool towels daily, Internet access, beach chairs in my walk in closet, view to die for from the 15th floor etc. but when I read the horror stories of the re-construction I was afraid to return.

But, Return I did on my birthday this month and what a surprise!! You can see for yourself from my pictures as I arrived to find Microsoft Bing hosting a pool party for Art Basel at the newly renovated property. I love the new Jacuzzi layout and pool deck with garden paths to the beach. The Mezz Level deck with views of the beach and pool is a nice feature and the Bing crowd loved the hosted bar set up there for their event. The lobby looked great but who cares about a lobby and everytime I turned around there was a new bar in operation. The comments I read about construction being everywhere must have been true because this place is totally different today from 2 years ago. WOW. Shelborne nicely done.

Don't get me wrong there were still a lot of elevator congestion with all the rooms being upgraded by construction types going up and down but who spends any time in an elevator when there is that great topless beach out there. And i was on the 15th floor away from it all.

Room Tip: Get Oceanfront and the higher up the better the view. Use Flipkey for best connections like VTSR...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
I want to thank you for such a nice and positive comment regarding your stay with us! Im happy to hear that you returned to stay at the Shelborne again and that your experience under our new management was even better than before! We have been working hard to create a beautiful environment for our guests, and it seems that we have been doing our job! The Shelborne hotel appreciates your positive feedback and reviews about the property
Miami Beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

I am the honourary tourist manager for the city of Miami Beach and regularly peek into hotels to see what's up.
I am displeased with the Loews South Beach Hotel at the moment, as they've taken away the south side pool cabanas and are doing noisy construction. Additionally, Emeril's is closed and there is a sense of off-peak mediocrity permeating across this property.
Meanwhile, big hotels like the Eden Roc and Fontainebleau continue to impress and gain upscale guests, while the Four Points Sheraton and Courtyard are great mid-level choices right on the boardwalk in mid-Beach.
In South Beach, being on the beach comes with some warning -- you get what you pay for.
That being said, the Shelborne is wrapping up a MASSIVE renovation. This was a dump for many years. It was home to Studio, a raunchy yet ridiculously fun subterranian (for SoBe at least) karaoke bar. The place was last remodeled in 1975, I bet.
Now, the place is going to be spectacular by NYE 2012, when Lauryn Hill will perform poolside at the best under-the-radar party out there.
Renovated rooms look great and they've borrowed heavily from the nearby Sagamore circa 2007, with lots of white and elegance.
What's sickening are the postings of unsuspecting foreign tourists that are being booked in rooms as the whole place is a disaster area, with continual construction and major renovations. How can any hotel operator continue to use a property that needed, and is getting, such a major facelift?

Once the renovations are done, it will take better management to make this a five-star property. It has the potential and it's location is superb.

I strongly advise that guests do not stay at this hotel prior to Christmas 2011.

Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Thank you for noticing the improvement in our hotel! It has been a long but exciting process getting the hotel to where it is today. Our guests have been very pleased with the outcome and are enjoying all of the dining outlets and renovated pool and lobby. I'd like to welcome you to come back to dine or stay with us again in the near future. Please email shelborneguest@meninhotels.com to make a reservation.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

I stayed last weekend at the Shelborne and was surprised by how great the place looks. The lobby, its bars and restaurant are completely new. Sat at the bar a couple of times and not only it looks beautiful but the bartenders and drinks were great as well, drink are a bit pricey but it's worth it. I didn't get to use the pool but it also was redone and looks awesome. Staying in a unit and rented from owner, at a good price, which as well had been gracefully updated and improved. In all it was great experience and after visiting Florida for years, and staying at the Shelborne several times, now the Shelborne for me has become a destination in itself. Hopefully they can keep the place up and offer some of the hotel services like room service to owner's guests.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Mart- Its great to hear that you are constantly returning to the Shelborne Hotel. It is nicer to hear that you loved the new property and our renovation. We have worked hard to create a beautiful hotel that would be inviting to our guests, and your positive feedback has confirmed that we have done such that! I look forward to having you back at the hotel in the very near future.
Cocoa beach
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

We were really looking forward to staying in Miami but was let down by our 2 night stay at the Shelbourne. Our 'deluxe ocean view room' had beach glimpses from the broken window. No hot water on the first day and needed a visit from the maintenance man. Paint cracked and flaking, wires hanging out and on the second day the soap holder in the shower fell off the wall. There was a lot of construction going on everywhere.

It's a real shame as the place could be absolutely lovely based on what has been done in the foyer, restaurant and pool area.

Staff didn't seem very interested when we provided some feedback offering another room if we wanted to pay.

I would strongly suggest you stay somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
My apologies go out to you and your guests regarding your experience at the Shelborne. I assure you that we have been working relentlessly trying to make the renovations complete as quickly as possible. I am pleased to read your positive review regarding the rest of the hotel. We are finishing up the renovation and are in the final stage of the whole process. I would like to invite you to come back to the hotel to experience the restaurants and the rooms again. Please email shelborneguest@meninhotels.com to make a reservation.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

I have stayed at this condo on the 7th Floor at the Shelborne Hotel before. Please note. There is the HOTEL part, and the CONDO part. These are two SEPARATE entities housed in the same building, so your transactions are with the CONDO owners and not the HOTEL part. The room is sunny, not moldy (a first for Miami Beach!), clean, and is equipped with a fridge, microwave, coffee maker, dishes, glasses, and cutlery. Ironing board. Cable TV. Very comfy. It's on the 7th Floor, and you can see the ocean from the window. The rates are very reasonable. The owner is super responsive and gets in touch immediately if I have any concerns. He is very concerned that all of the HOTEL's construction has marred the reputation of his great room that he offers as part of a b&b service year round. I am already booked for next year. It's a great location, and the lobby now looks Miami fabulous.

I was there during Art Basel, and yes, the construction in the lobby and the corridors was pretty crazy and noisy, but it looks like they finished the lobby for a major party on Friday, December 2, 2011, and much of the carpeting in the hallways - at least on the 7th floor - appeared to be done. I was so busy running around town that I did not have a chance to check out whether the pool was open yet, although I know that residents are allowed to use the pool at the neighboring hotel if the Shelborne's pool is ever closed. So in exchange for very reasonable rates and a few very acceptable rules by the owner, the CONDO, # 741, is a sweet deal. I hesitate to advertise this because I always want to make sure it's available when we go to Miami Beach. ;) I have stayed in a lot of expensive moldy dirty dumps in Miami Beach hotels. So this was a real find. Highly recommended. Owner is great and very professional, too.

Room Tip: The only problem I had was paying for internet service that did not work. This is not the owner'...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Wonderful to hear that you are constantly returning to the Shelborne Hotel to stay at one of the Condos! Next time you are in town, definitely check out some of our restaurants on property- Vesper American Brasserie is open for breakfast and dinner, Lucy's Cantina Royale by the pool and beach is open for lunch and happy hour, and Bar Tanaka in the Lobby which is having its grand opening this week is open for dinner for late night sushi and sake bites! Keep enjoying the property and we look forward to seeing you back soon!

Been to Shelborne South Beach, Wyndham Affiliate? Share your experiences!