I recently had my wedding at the Gansevoort in Mid-April. Given the management change earlier this year and the mixed reviews on TripAdvisor we were a bit nervous going into the weekend. Let me just say that we had absolutely the best, most wonderful weekend at this hotel. Much of what we read on tripadvisor has either been fixed by the new management, or wasn't really an issue, in our (and our 100 guests') opinions. I'll break down our experience into a few categories, but overall, the experience was terrific, the property and rooms are beautiful, the service (from Chesa in guest relations to the GM of the property to the watiers and bartenders/etc) was absolutely top notch.
Rooms: These hotel rooms are enormous, and the fixtures are terrific. Awesome shower, great linens/towels, etc. The bed was super comfortable. We had an ocean view suite which great. I don't think you can get better rooms for the cost on miami beach. I'm not sure what others are complaining about regarding old rooms/etc...the rooms are modern, new fixtures, and we had no issues with anything at all.
Service: The hotel really shined on this dimension. Service was incredibly friendly from the front desk staff to the room service staff, to the food/drink staff. Our guests commented explicitly on this dimension saying how friendly and accomodating everyone was. I stay in top hotels 3 nights a week for work, and definitely felt that the service at the Gansevoort was up there with the best.
Location: Others have commented that the location is a bit far from the action. To me, the location is actually good for the following reasons. Its not smack dab in the middle of all the south beach craziness (allowing you to keep your sanity when walking around the hotel). However, its a 10-15 minute walk to anything you'd want to get to, or a 5 minute cab ride. Cabs are everywhere in south beach and quite cheap compared to other U.S. cities. As someone who grew up in Miami, this location is ideal. I would absolutely not want to be staying at 10th and washington or on Ocean Drive.
Plunge/Adult Pool: Plain and simple, this place is amazing. Even if you don't stay at the property, go to Plunge. During the day its a beautiful pool scene. We had friends staying at the W who ended up coming over to Plunge bcs/ it was a better scene. At night, the place is a great spot to hang with friends and take in teh miami weather. The manager, Chad, is wonderful. He threw a great after party for us, and as a person is a very nice guy - as was the rest of the staff there.rice
Price/Value: For me, there are two stories here. First, for the rooms, i think the price/value is amazing. The Gansevoort is considerably less costly than the W next door, but the rooms are bigger/better - in my opnion. Granted, the rooms are not cheap here, but if you're looking for cheap you're probably going to struggle everywhere South Beach. As for the food/drink and valet - yes, some things are overpriced. At $15-20 per drink, this isn't all that different from other 4-5 star hotels on miami beach, but it is more pricey than what you can get at bars/restaurants outside the hotel.
The only real negatives we experienced with this property were:
-the 3rd floor (more family friendly) pool deck could use some aesthetic work. There are some air conditioning units or industrial equipment that should be concealed/disguisedbetter, but its not a big deal. You really only see them when walking out to the pool, not once you're out there.
-while the hotel is right on the beach, its actually not that convenient to get out to the beach. Probably a 5-10 minute walk up and down several stair cases. The hotel should invest the money to make a more aesthetically pleasing and easy pathway out to the beach.
-Valet: I would be very careful before valet parking my car with this hotel. They dented our SUV, and this is actually the second car i've parked at the property that has been damaged by them. In addition, at $40/day its very pricey. The hotel needs to improve the parking sitution. For a hotel of this caliber to have their parking attendants damaging some very nice cars is a big problem.
In spite of these negatives, overall the property is amazing. Its not cheap, but again, its South Beach, so you have to expect that. The service and rooms are where this place shines, and we'd definitely go back in a heart beat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Currently closed for renovation. The Perry, South Beach an oceanfront resort with lifestyle amenities, where everything you desire is under one roof. Take in the breathtaking views from our rooftop infinity pool, or enjoy the tropical breeze at our Pool Plaza. Browse in our high-end boutiques or treat yourself to a well-deserved spa treatment. Energize your body, by engaging in the David Barton Gym+Spa. Dining in celebrity chef-driven restaurants, STK Miami is guaranteed to please any palate. After, enjoy a nightcap in one of our nightlife "hotspots." We proudly feature the largest guestrooms in South Beach, which are tastefully appointed with European cotton linens and upgraded amenities. Spanning an entire city block, this ultra-stylish Destination Resort sizzles with modern luxury, exquisite accommodations and superb service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Prestigia and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Perry, South Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gansevoort Miami Beach Hotel Miami Beach
- Gansevoort South Miami Beach
- Gansevoort South Hotel Miami Beach