“Amazingly wonderful weekend at the Gansevoort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Perry, South Beach

You added The Perry, South Beach to your Saves list
The Perry, South Beach
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2377 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly Gansevoort Miami Beach)   |
Ranked #116 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
San Francisco, California
“Amazingly wonderful weekend at the Gansevoort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

I recently had my wedding at the Gansevoort in Mid-April. Given the management change earlier this year and the mixed reviews on TripAdvisor we were a bit nervous going into the weekend. Let me just say that we had absolutely the best, most wonderful weekend at this hotel. Much of what we read on tripadvisor has either been fixed by the new management, or wasn't really an issue, in our (and our 100 guests') opinions. I'll break down our experience into a few categories, but overall, the experience was terrific, the property and rooms are beautiful, the service (from Chesa in guest relations to the GM of the property to the watiers and bartenders/etc) was absolutely top notch.

Rooms: These hotel rooms are enormous, and the fixtures are terrific. Awesome shower, great linens/towels, etc. The bed was super comfortable. We had an ocean view suite which great. I don't think you can get better rooms for the cost on miami beach. I'm not sure what others are complaining about regarding old rooms/etc...the rooms are modern, new fixtures, and we had no issues with anything at all.

Service: The hotel really shined on this dimension. Service was incredibly friendly from the front desk staff to the room service staff, to the food/drink staff. Our guests commented explicitly on this dimension saying how friendly and accomodating everyone was. I stay in top hotels 3 nights a week for work, and definitely felt that the service at the Gansevoort was up there with the best.

Location: Others have commented that the location is a bit far from the action. To me, the location is actually good for the following reasons. Its not smack dab in the middle of all the south beach craziness (allowing you to keep your sanity when walking around the hotel). However, its a 10-15 minute walk to anything you'd want to get to, or a 5 minute cab ride. Cabs are everywhere in south beach and quite cheap compared to other U.S. cities. As someone who grew up in Miami, this location is ideal. I would absolutely not want to be staying at 10th and washington or on Ocean Drive.

Plunge/Adult Pool: Plain and simple, this place is amazing. Even if you don't stay at the property, go to Plunge. During the day its a beautiful pool scene. We had friends staying at the W who ended up coming over to Plunge bcs/ it was a better scene. At night, the place is a great spot to hang with friends and take in teh miami weather. The manager, Chad, is wonderful. He threw a great after party for us, and as a person is a very nice guy - as was the rest of the staff there.rice

Price/Value: For me, there are two stories here. First, for the rooms, i think the price/value is amazing. The Gansevoort is considerably less costly than the W next door, but the rooms are bigger/better - in my opnion. Granted, the rooms are not cheap here, but if you're looking for cheap you're probably going to struggle everywhere South Beach. As for the food/drink and valet - yes, some things are overpriced. At $15-20 per drink, this isn't all that different from other 4-5 star hotels on miami beach, but it is more pricey than what you can get at bars/restaurants outside the hotel.

The only real negatives we experienced with this property were:

-the 3rd floor (more family friendly) pool deck could use some aesthetic work. There are some air conditioning units or industrial equipment that should be concealed/disguisedbetter, but its not a big deal. You really only see them when walking out to the pool, not once you're out there.

-while the hotel is right on the beach, its actually not that convenient to get out to the beach. Probably a 5-10 minute walk up and down several stair cases. The hotel should invest the money to make a more aesthetically pleasing and easy pathway out to the beach.

-Valet: I would be very careful before valet parking my car with this hotel. They dented our SUV, and this is actually the second car i've parked at the property that has been damaged by them. In addition, at $40/day its very pricey. The hotel needs to improve the parking sitution. For a hotel of this caliber to have their parking attendants damaging some very nice cars is a big problem.

In spite of these negatives, overall the property is amazing. Its not cheap, but again, its South Beach, so you have to expect that. The service and rooms are where this place shines, and we'd definitely go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed April 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

Stayed here for a business meeting, first upgraded to a suite on the 3rd floor but DO NOT STAY THERE IF YOU EXPECT TO SLEEP!! those rooms are directly above the mezzanine which is the club/disco open till 5am. I didn't sleep at all and I asked the next day to be moved to a room with sleep guaranteed, the front desk mgr was very nice and I was moved to a city view room on the 6th floor. Much better and city noise was less than the disco noise!! hotel can't decide whether it's a business or a pleasure hotel--condoms in the mini bar for sale--so it's weird. The gym is $15/day, should be complimentary with the high costs-$20 a drink is normal.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

The pool, Plunge, is fantastic. The DJ really knows his stuff…
The room was spacious not the 650 sq. feet but 1200 –SQ feet.
There were a couple of setbacks but since we live in NYC it was not a big deal (but I can see that for others it will be.) Nevertheless, the staff gave us amenities, and pampers us with gifts. I had to tell them that it was enough… I found it impersonal but objective and effective. I cannot write a negative review after all the genuine effort. Franklyn the MOD solve what other managers couldn’t in less than 4 minutes so look for him –a hospitality maven.

The place is beautiful, the people also really nice and the view is breathtaking (my wife’s words).
Unfortunately, they are there to make a profit. Thus, all the services from food to drinks are pricey but there’s a whole Miami outside…We didn’t order anything.
Valet Parking is $40 a day –no ins and outs. Be prepared to add that to your check. However parking around (public) was about $25 (got to walk, pick up etc…) We used the valet.
Best pool, great beach, free internet, great location, awesome nightlife...

“Louis” one of the hottest clubs is bottle service… now that is pricey but independent from the hotel.
Overall, it was a nice stay. The W is better but twice the expensive.
We’re already planning to come back in July –missing Plunge…

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

The hotel is nice but the rooftop ambience and view is what you're paying for. I've stayed at both Gansevoort & W and I vote W best "overall" but this pool is so much fun. Went for a girl's getaway and had sooo much fun! The pool, the music, the view, and the DRINKS make for a great day & lots of fun. It's an old hotel so you have central AC which was a problem for us in a huge suite, the air gets STAGNANT in certain rooms if you don't freeze everyone with the central AC. Not all rooms have windows!!!!

Pool side food was excellent; pool side drinks depended on the bartender.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Leeds, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

A friend and I stayed at the Gansevoort South in August 2009 for 1 week. We got a superb deal via www.hotels.com (the UK version of the site), although now we believe the great deal was because we went in low-season, July/August being very humid, greater risk of rain, and many locals leaving Miami to live in the cooler north of the country.
Anyway, to the review of the hotel itself. Firstly I have to vent my utter frustration and bewilderment at how rude the staff were at the hotel – from checking-in to the moment we left. I still cannot understand why they were rude, but going by the other reviews here I guess they do it to a lot of people. My friend and I didn’t cause any problems whatsoever. We were courteous throughout our stay with it being our first time in the US (not that we would get rowdy on a subsequent visit! J ).
That aside, the hotel is wonderful. A true 5 star experience. It has an impressive lobby that spans for miles, fully furnished with extravagant chairs and lounge sofas. We got a room on the 6th floor overlooking the pool area situated on the 3rd floor. The room was very spacious and had everything you’d expect from a top rated hotel. The bed was huge – a queen size I’d say – very comfortable. The bathroom was spacious with a good power-shower, and dual-sinks (nice touch). Our room was cleaned daily and to a very high standard.
There is the main (what I’d say family friendly) pool area on the third floor that overlooks the ocean – it is beautiful – complete with top-end sun loungers, towels and covers are provided, there’s a bar, and waiting staff to order drinks straight to you.
The hotel has a second pool on the rooftop called Plunge. It is a long pool with numerous seats and private booths. At night it turns in to a nice lounge with smartly dressed people, many not residents at the hotel.
We didn't try the restaurant or any of the food within the hotel for one reason - the price. EVERYTHING is expensive in the hotel, from the items in the minibar to the drinks at poolside (circa $16 US dollars for an average alcoholic drink like vodka and coke). It was silly expensive, and as you can imagine we didn't spend too much time using the hotel facilities with prices like that.
The hotel is situated a little bit too far up on Collins Ave, near 23rd Street. Bearing in mind the hip art-deco area is between 10th-16th Street along with Lincoln Road (this is where all the shops are, some of the finest restaurants I have eaten in, cinema, theatre, bars, all the top named stores along with independent ones). So location wise, Gansevoort's not all there but if you don't mind walking that little bit extra and prefer style over location then this may be the hotel for you (oh and if you like jumped up glorified receptionists!).
Final verdict: Don’t get me wrong – this is a lush hotel which will cater for most tastes, but it is also a hotel for people with money and who can put up with pretentious and rude staff. This isn’t for me. I’d prefer a 3 star hotel with a warm welcome over this 5 star “cold” hotel any day.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

The Gansevoort, which just came under new management, is an older hotel that was refurbished in recent years. The best aspect of the hotel is the swimming pools...a trendy one on the roof (with loud music, attractive people, and friendly pool manager), and a bigger one on the main level. Also, the rooms are quite big. Negatives, lobby is unimpressive with a single small blue door, the use of gym is not included, the TV takes about 120 seconds to turn on, elevator access is confusing, dining is pricey (including a rediculously overpriced Chinese restaurant, I don't care if he is a celebrity shet, orange chicken shouldn't never be $60), and parking was a total rip off. Room should be about $300, no $400.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

I don’t really understand the negative comments here posted by people who don’t think the hotel is worth the money. As far as I’m concerned, such huge rooms, which are tastefully decorated are hard to come across these days. Sure, this might not be as luxurious as the W, but then the rates here are a lot lower. My first impressions were overwhelmingly positive, with swift check-in, classy lobby, and cool music playing as you enter the room.

I had a standard room, which faced the street. View was nothing to write home about, but the fact that it was such a big room was unbelievable. Sadly, I didn’t get to organize a party in the room, which would be totally suitable considering the setting. Little touches like the nice sandals they provide, the beach bag, and great toiletries are what makes this place exceptional.

The rooftop swimming pool is an absolute must. Yes, it’s full of posers and has loud-ish music, but it’s a place to see and be seen. My only complaint is that it’s supposedly a child-free area, but there were some people with groups of annoying kids (the kind who try to pull your towel when you’re trying to relax). If that’s the rule, it has to be enforced. The main pool is also nice, also it gets relatively few hours of sunshine due to the U-shaped building surrounding it. The hotel’s “private beach” area is a let down, and without direct access to the sea feels like a sandy pit. Beach access in general should be made easier, as you have to go through some unsightly service areas.

Staff was generally very helpful and polite. The concierges were spot on with their recommendations for dining/nightlife.

Also loved the gym, and STK is one of the best steakhouse experiences I’ve ever had!

Will probably stay here again on my next visit to Miami.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Been to The Perry, South Beach? Share your experiences!