“Service, Sun, and a top-notch up-and-coming luxury hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Perry, South Beach

Save Saved
You added The Perry, South Beach to your Saves list
The Perry, South Beach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2377 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly Gansevoort Miami Beach) (Oceanfront)   |
Ranked #110 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York
“Service, Sun, and a top-notch up-and-coming luxury hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a three-night stay at the Gansevoort, residing in room 602. (let me first give you a description of ourselves, as I always find it usefull when judging someone else's opinion: I am 33, the hubby is 43, we live in downtown Manhattan, I am an event planner in an upscale nightclub, my hubby is in retail). Upon our arrival, we were greeted by all of the staff- who were pleasant and in a great mood. Checking in was a breeze, no lines. It took all of 3 minutes. Because of my own connections, I was upgraded to a suite. The lobby is grand, with plenty of seating, which is kind of cool because if you are going out at night and need a place to meet, you have space and areas to hang out while waiting or whatever. We go up to our room, we were at the end of the hall way, but it is a short distance- and WOW the rooms are HUGE. It had to of been 800-900 square feet. It looked like a one-bedroom in NYC. Except nicer. And it had a big balcony, and we were ocean front. Awesome. Super clean room too- nicely decorated, 1.5 bathrooms- and the master bath was really big as well, so there is plenty of room to move around and get ready, without being on top of one another. There was a flat-screen both in the living and bedroom. Also, which I found to be useful, is that there is an oversized floor mirror in the living room. Perect. I will say that if you are looking for a quiet hotel, this is not the right choice. It isn't loud, no- definitely not- but this is a sceney hotel, with a rooftop pool that turns into more of a bar/lounge/nightclub at night, and there is a nightclub callled "Louis" downstairs (I think on the lobby level). So expect crowds at night, and people in and out of the hotel. We heard soft noise from our room at night, but it was no big deal, and if anything we wish we weren't so tired and we could join the fun. But that's what laying out all day and eating a huge meal will do for you. I actually think it was one of our neighbors having their own fun. We'll never know.
On the rooftop is an ADULT-ONLY pool called "Plunge". I cannot tell you how excited this makes me. Sorry to all you kid-toting parents out there, because it's too bad you can't hang out with everyone on the roof! The area is quite large, there was no problem getting seats. The rooftop staff- Don & Michael specifically- were super attentive, friendly, eager to please. The pool is really big, not wide, but long- and heated. There are cabanas to rent but I see no point- and you get direct sunlight up there the entire day. The food upstairs is pretty great, I got the spicy tuna roll every day. Also, FYI, there is topless tanning, so don't be surprised. Typically the crowd hanging out upstairs is 'European', kind of a St. Tropez type of setting, really good looking guys, hot girls. Yeah, there are always a few out of shape people, but not everyone can be so physically fit!
Though the hotel is gigantic (usually we stick to smaller boutiquey hotels), you don't get that feeling- and the hotel is a well-oiled, well-run machine, where people really take the time to greet you in the morning with a 'hello', the staff are overly attentive, helpful, and friendly. I would 100% come here again. We used to go to the Delano, but found that the service just isn't what we like, and also there are too many darn kids at the pool. The Gansevoort has a good thing going, and I only wish them success- I am going back with my girlfriends in 3 weeks, and I am counting down the days! Thank you Michael L. (hotel manager) for everything!!! I hope you liked the bagels we brought down for your from NYC!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
france
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

Me and my husband had a great stay in Gansevoort. The service from the valet, the reception, the chambermaids and everybody in the hotel were excellent. The room where we stayed on the 8th floor ( rm. 808) was huge with a small kitchen and a big bathroom with separate shower and bath, very comfortable bed, lots of space to arrange our clothes, trendy and had a magnificent full view of the pool and the ocean. Our stay there was for my birthday and we were surprised by a complimentary bottle of Veuve Cliquot sent to our room which we drank on our balcony while listening to the Gansevoort CD and looking at the ocean. We REALLY had a marvellous time in Gansevoort. As i said, this is the place to stay in South Beach and i won't hesitate to recommend this hotel to my closest friends, family and all of you who wants to have a GREAT South Beach exprience.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2009

This is the first hotel review I have ever written!. I will ALWAYS stay here when in South Beach. The hotel pool was perfect, relaxing. The room was enormous in comparison to other hotels. The service was excellent. The staff was pleasant and very helpful. They went out of their way to accomadate us. The massage I got while there was great. The pool side breakfast perfect. The whole experience was memorable. We had three rooms while there. We had the Spa Package. We will definitely stay here again on our next trip.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
nyc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2009

I beg you not to book this hotel ESPECIALLY if you have children. it is simply the worst hotel and I go to miami beach every year for the past 8 years. the hotel layout is horrendous, you spend all of your time waiting for an elevator only to have to back trach just to get to the pool. the pool plaza is a joke, the pool is not heated and they lie to you to say it will be fixed which i learned was what they have been saying for months. if you want to swim and have kids you have to go to the south pool which is for the residences, terrible chairs, no umbrellas no service, drinks or food. roof pool is cheesy and no kids allowed. the hotel does not have a restaurant. they only serve breaksfast outside so if you get bad weather you have to order expensive room serivce which is plain bad. the pool restaurant is supposed to be open til 8 pm btu i clsoed at 6 pm when we got there so we had to eat again in the room. onyl other food option is philippe down the block which is good chinese but not part of the hotel. the stk restaurant advertised on the website doesnt exist yet. i confirmed my roon the day before and was told it was ready at 4 pm when i arrived and then wsas told they didnt have the suite with kitchenette anymore. we fought with management for hours until it was resolved. we were lied to constantly by staff and management. i had to call security 3 times due to the pot smoke that filled the hallways from our neighbor. the place is cheesy run down and horrible in a nutshell. do not go there!!! there are far better places in miam i beach!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Saint Louis, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

This was our first trip to SoBe together and it was to celebrate a birthday. At check-in I told the reception staff we were here to celebrate a birthday and that I'd like to see if there were any room upgrades available. Before I could get out the question, there was an immediate bark of "we're full up and no rooms available!" We checked in on a Wednesday and on that day and the following day we were the only room on our wing of the hotel, 4th floor! The housekeeping lady told us we were the only room on that wing. The rooftop pool is very nice but full of the young 20 something crowd that just wants to drink and be loud and be seen. It's an absolutely beautiful pool but the music is played so loudly, even during the daytime, that it's as if you're inside a nightclub, playing rap music most of the day. The bar staff at the rooftop pool was very friendly and gave us recommendations on things to do while in town. They were spot-on with their recommendations! The family pool on the 3rd floor is that-- full of small kids running around, crying about the clorine in the pool, etc... We managed to find a quiet spot on the far left edge of the pool close to the steps leading to the beach. The staff couldn't get the music system quite situated and the speakers were in and out and full of chirping that went on for hours. Very annoying. The worst experience was with the staff at the David Barton gym. NOT friendly at all. There was one personal trainer that was nice but the rest of the staff, very unfriendly. On our initial visit we told the front desk that we were staying at the hotel and were inquiring about a pass for the gym. The rude desk attendant told another attendant to "give us a quick peak at the gym". She walked us to the entrance of the gym, stopped and we stood at the entrance and she pointed out where the cardio equipment was and the weights. That was it! Nothing about classes, or schedules, or where the locker rooms were or anything about the spa services. She told us we'd have to fill out tons of paperwork to go upstairs to see the gym! I was like "What the hell is this all about?" We wound up going to the gym a few times but wouldn't do it again. We found the Spa merely by accident, while walking around lost on the upper floor of the gym. The Spa staff was kind and courteous and let us look around. On several occasions we saw gym staff members directly outside the entrance door smoking! Yes, smoking and that's definately not promoting good health habits, is it? We had been recommended to check out the spa at the Standard hotel and we did spend almost 2 days at that Spa and we can't say enough about how friendly the staff and accomodations were at the Standard. The folks at the David Barton gym could take some customer service training from the staff at the Standard. The folks at the Standard were not pretentious at all! If you want a friendly staff and better prices, go to the Standard! We toured a few of the other upscale hotels and though the Gansevoort is pretty, modern, and trendy we'll choose another hotel for our next stay in SoBe. We really weren't that impressed and sort of surprised by some of the reviews that we'd read.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

Just spent the weekend at Gansevoort for a bachelorette weekend and we had an amazing time! There were 12 of us and we were able to stay together at the pool everyday with no issues and the rooms were gigantic! The staff at the hotel from the management to the cocktail waitresses were all fantastic. I highly recommend this hotel and can't wait to go back myself!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2009

We were down for the Wine and Food Festival. Didn't expect to spend much time in the hotel. But couldn't leave it! Left food festival events early to get back early to hang by the Plunge pool and have drinks in the sun. (What an amazing view of the ocean, great drinks, great food and great service---Need to find out how to buy one of those Circle couches for our home--awesome) We also had dinner at their Asian restaurant one night. The food and service was outstanding. The staff was amazing from the hotel manager , the concierge, to the Plunge manager. All the staff did all they could to make our 20th anniversary celebration spectacular. We knew our wedding was amazing 20 years ago--but never expected hotel management to care so much and make our 5 day stay for our anniversary so wonderful. They upgraded us to an amazing 2 bedroom, 3 bath room. Bought us drinks and cabana bed by the roof top pool while we waited for our room to be ready. Just can not say enough how beautiful the hotel is and how nice the people are. We had so much fun we want to make it a yearly event to get away from the snow every winter for a short trip. Would never think of staying any where else than The Gansevoort South. Have had many trips to top hotels (Ritz, Manderin Oriental, The Taj, The Plaza, The Fairmont, The Four Seasons....) but no one ever treated us like The Ganesevoort did. You will have the same quality hotel, but the main difference is SERVICE. Would highly recommend this hotel to all.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Perry, South Beach? Share your experiences!