“Pathetic stay” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Perry, South Beach

You added The Perry, South Beach to your Saves list
The Perry, South Beach
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2377 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly Gansevoort Miami Beach)   |
Ranked #117 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Plano, Texas
“Pathetic stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Well, we came back to Miami after 5 years and I wanted my family to get a good experience. Hence, looking at some photos on their website, and without going into detailed reviews ( very unlike me) due to paucity of time, I booked this hotel assuming the price would fetch me a good hotel). I have two children, and usually book myself in a place which offers some basic facilities like the kitchen net, a refrigerator, some pots and pans etc. to cater to our children.

We entered the hotel, and were greeted by a cheerful staff. The first disappointment was the construction that was going on, which would result in noise starting 8 am in the morning. My family tends to get out only post 10 am from the room, hence this was an issue but now we were at the doorstep of the hotel, did not know what to do, so checked in. Went to the room, the room was nice and big, but we were promised an ocean view with a balcony. Well, guess what, the balcony was closed for construction... After settling in, I wanted to make the sofa bed where my elder son could be comfortable, but that was stuck. Moreover, the bed was not made, and it was slept in by some previous guests. I called the hotel staff to help me with it. The room had a kitchen net and a refrigerator, but guess what - there was no cutlery, no pots and pans, no glasses, no tea, coffee...Well, we requested the reception to bring us some tea at least, on the promise that we will get some plates, pots etc in the morning...the tea arrive - in more than 45 minutes after multiple reminders... We slept, and were rudely woken up in the morning with the sound of the sledgehammers pounding on and on...we reminded the reception for pots and pans, some tea...the prompt hotels folks arranged it about two hours....yes, you heard it right...and after multiple multiple reminders...anyhow, we wanted to leave, and just as we were getting ready to pick our gaff and call for the car, the fire alarm sounded...we ran for our lives to the reception, fortunately found later that it was a glitch...we ordered for our car to be brought out ( the hotel was charging 35 dollars for the valet parking)... Te car was there in 30 minutes, yes please read again, 30 minutes...so much for the special treatment that I was hoping to get...and btw, I was not told that my car is out, it was just standing there, and I ventured to look out ( I was restless and was doing this every 5 to 7 mins) ...took the car, and got to probably 2 hours behind schedule...came back later the second night, and removed all thoughts of extending my stay in the hotel, and made another last minute booking in a trusted brand (Hilton) for the next two days where I was assured some predictability at least...

Phew...that is the last time I will stay in an unknown branded hotel without adequate research...goodbye Perry. I hope you have a new management that actually cares about the guests and are better organized...most people I met were good, courteous - just that they were not able to do simple things..

Open this helps the readers.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We were prepared for the 8-6 jackhammering, and we were actually OK with it. We were staying one night for our anniversary and knew we'd be up early for a run. What we weren't prepared for was the overall shabbiness of what was existing and the average-ness of the room for a hotel that usually charges $500/night. The worst: drunk neighbors that made our room seem like a combat zone in the hours after midnight. The partying continued until near jackhammer-time. The result? I'm falling asleep as I type this. Take a pass.

Lyndhurst, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Excellent staff, very clean hotel, rooftop pool as well as lower level pool extremely clean. Great experience when we were here in September & again at Christmas, Would recommend to anyone traveling to South Beach..!!!

Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Yes it was under construction but the view and the rooms are so amazing that the outside look didn't matter. It reminded me of the hotels in Europe. The staff was great I would most def go back again. loved the fish tank in the lobby with sharks and all. I had a great time!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Bergamo, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Let’s just start saying that it’s true that this hotel is going under renovation since years now, it was the Gasenvoort and now it is Perry South Beach.
They have posted on the website a disclaimer about the renovation but that is not enough unfortunately. IT IS NOT!
I have stayed over the week end when the works are stopped, I could not imagine the pool area, the rooms, the balcony during the week days.
There is a sense of dust everywhere and evry corner you feel that the whole structure deserves renovation not only the façade.
The lobby is so depressing with this acquarium with death small sharks, lamps are broken, staff is cold and not so professional.
The rooms are dark, acceptable clean but everything reminds me that this Hotel has seen better days !

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I booked via priceline and was very happy with the Perry. Despite the renovations (which are badly needed) the hotel was great. We missed out on the rooftop pool because it was closed, but enjoyed our stay non-the-less. The David Barton Gym is amazing.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
thePERRYSouthBeach, Public Relations Manager at The Perry, South Beach, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you very much for your review. We appreciate your understanding in regards to our renovation. We are very excited about our future. Hope you visit us again soon. Please be our fan on Facebook or follow us on twitter to keep up to date with news, updates, events and promotion we post. Safe trip back home and Happy Holidays!
Alesund, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The Hotel was a dream, excactly like the photos!!

Rooms: Really spacious, a comfertable bed, big flatscreen TV, all you need and more:)
Location: Good, but maybe a bit too far from the nightlife in Soutbeach
Staff/service: The best!!

The only thing that doesn't make this hotel perfect is the fact that they were under heavy construction, and our travel agent had not informed us of this. When I contactet the guest service manager (Christian P) he was so incredibly nice and understanding. Not only was it no problem to check out early, he also deleted our roomservice bill AND helped us find a new hotel he thought we would like.
Even though this is what service is supposed to be like I was very impressed.

So my final comment is - when you finish your construction we would LOVE to come back!! :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
thePERRYSouthBeach, Public Relations Manager at The Perry, South Beach, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are very glad to know that Christian was able to assist you with your needs. Thank you for your feedback and understanding as we transform the Perry into the most magnificent property in Miami Beach. We will be delighted to have you back once our renovation is completed. Wish you happy holidays and safe travels back home.

Been to The Perry, South Beach? Share your experiences!