“THE WORST HOTEL IN SOUTH BEACH” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Perry, South Beach

Save Saved
You added The Perry, South Beach to your Saves list
The Perry, South Beach
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2377 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly Gansevoort Miami Beach) (Oceanfront)   |
Ranked #104 of 197 hotels in Miami Beach
Greenwich
“THE WORST HOTEL IN SOUTH BEACH”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I truly wish I had checked out TripAdvisor before booking at room at this place. It seemed from the website like a decent place in a convenient location, and many of the other hotels I frequently stay at here were fully booked for Art Basel. Had I read the reviews, I'd much rather be at any other place! The main problems (and there are many) are:

1. This hotel is undergoing such a huge renovation, THEY HAVE NO BUSINESS BEING OPEN! They should simply close until it is completed. It is clearly only open because of the greedy owners. It is so bad that it should require a personal phone call to each person making a reservation to clearly ask if they can live with 100 decibel constant jackhammering from 8 am to the end of the day, every day. We were NOT informed by anyone, and the staff has been terribly rude about it. I was jolted out of bed by the jackhammering outside my window at 7:30 AM!!!! When I called to complain, the concierge/front desk said that I shoulkd have read the fine print on the website!
2. They have no idea that their loud throbbing music piped everywhere - on the sidewalk in front of the building, in the lobby, in the elevators,etc, is not pleasant. IT GIVES US A HEADACHE! Life is not a beer commercial, we don't want every second to sound like a party.
3. The service just plain sucks. 1 hour to get breakfast delivered, and who the hell ever heard of actually delivering coffee as a single diner-style cup and saucer covered in saran wrap, sloshing around before delivery, WITHOUT LEAVING THE COFFEE POT. In other words, even though coffee in the morning at every single other hotel on the planet comes with refills, at this one, it gets you about 6 ounces, until you wait another hour for more.
4. They are deceptive! Even the fine print on the website detailing the construction clearly says the swimming pool is open, it is closed. THEY OUTRIGHT LIE on the website about this. Everyone knows a house with a pool is worth more than one without, and likewise, we are paying for a hotel room with a pool, and yet there is none.
5. They do not have their act together. THE MINIBAR IS COMPLETELY EMPTY, THE PHONE DOES NOT WORK AT ALL, among many other missing,overlooked or ignored basic amenity.
Basically, the place is completely uninhabitable at this time, and even feels half-staffed.

The only plus that I can see is that the doormen are nice and the rooms are big, but given the exorbitant prices during this period, it is no way worth it.. It was so noisy throughout the entire day that I could not sleep, watch TV or even make a phone call, that it is not wirht it at all.
I'd rather stay at any cheap dive over this place. Bear in mind that with all of this going on, my room was still over $500/night. You can get a lot for $500 just about anywhere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

1,189 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

I feel like I am taking crazy pills. I booked on jetsetter, a respectable site. I checked into the hotel in a fully functional lobby. I get to my room and there is a dude with a jackhammer on my balcony. Like its normal? This is normal?

Stay away. Unless you get a rate of $20 a night it isn't worth the aggravation.

• Stayed December 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

It is a major construction site. Cranes, jackhammers and workers everywhere. It is a complete disaster zone, windows missing from the building, some covered in tarps and plastic. Balconies are missing in sections of the building. No matter how much (cheap?) they want to stay, don't bother - you will regret it. Yes, i would not stay there even if it was free. There are plenty of other hotels to choose from. Can't believe they are even taking in customers, they should be ashamed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Gaithersburg, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I am writing this review as I sit in the hotel. The sound is construction is deafening! They did not show anywhere on their website that they were undergoing MAJOR RECONSTRUCTION. The entire hotel is covered in scaffolding. Half of the entrances are closed/blocked. The pools are continuously closed off and accessing the hotel from any side is a nightmare. The balconies are all closed so you're in an enclosed room - not what you come to Miami for. It is so loud in my room right now that I have to scream at the top of my lungs to speak to my husband sitting next to me in bed. And we have a construction worker walking around our balcony doing God knows what (invasion of privacy?!)

Aside from the construction the hotel is just blah. They are milking the fact that they are home to the famous STK steakhouse downstairs. The service is okay. The room we were first put in had a leaking shower door. So when you got out of the shower the entire bathroom was flooded. After a little bit of arguing with the front desk, they switched us to another room.

But the noise and construction is just unbelievably horrible! The hotel both from the inside and outside is a major eye sore. You don't come to South Beach Miami to see an ugly hotel and deal with loud sawing and drilling!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

We had a great time there; nice location, nice pool, wonderful support from the concierge. The front desk girl adviced about the construction noise, but it wasn't that much disturbing. Recommended! *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

It's a real shame as it's a lovely beach and staff are trying so hard...but I recommend stay away from this hotel. It is a full scale construction site and for eight hours a day they are jack-hammering outside your window (literally each balcony). The room is uninhabitable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

It says on the website where I booked that there would only be construction Monday-Friday 8-5pm. When I arrived late Friday night I was again told by the front desk there would be no renovations during the weekend. I was woken up Saturday at 7am by a jackhammer. I called down to the front desk to ask why and they informed me again that there were no renovations. When I walked down by the pool I could see the workers in and out of the building working. Do not trust this hotel. They then refunded me for the 2nd two nights since I wanted to leave but would not refund for the night I had already stayed. I am now fighting with them for a refund. They would also not pay the extra amount it cost me to switch hotels on such short notice. Never will I go back even when they are finished because they are liars!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Perry, South Beach? Share your experiences!