“THE choice hotel for a more private Miami beach experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Perry, South Beach

You added The Perry, South Beach to your Saves list
The Perry, South Beach
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2377 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly Gansevoort Miami Beach)   |
Ranked #125 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York City, New York
“THE choice hotel for a more private Miami beach experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in May the day after I ran a marathon so I was in serious need of a restful stay. This was my 8th or 9th visit to Miami. I booked through hotels.com - got a good rate for it. I've stayed several hotels in the area - both on and off the beach strip and Miami beach and Downtown Miami - from budget boutique hotels - to luxury like the Setai. This one is by far my favorite.

The staff are warm and welcoming, which you don't really expect from a hotel that seems super trendy. I love seeing a big aquarium as soon as you walk in to the lobby, but maybe that's just me. I stayed in a deluxe king - the room was huge, as was the bathroom - good view, nice furnishings. Free Wifi made it easy for me to work from the room. The rooftop pool bar/lounge was nice, but you had to pay $$$ for a bungalo or lounge chair - which, I get - for evening time when people are queuing up from the elevator downstairs to get there for the *untz*untz*untz* techno beats time, but for midday when there is like 2 other people there, no need for ridick loud music and charging $800 for a bungalo. That was my only real criticism. The regular pool is nice, the cafe poolside has decent food and drinks, too and again, good staff.

Best features for this hotel was the private beach access from the pool (plus teepee and lounge chairs avail)/ semi-private boardwalk right alongside the hotel and beach. Great for walks or runs. It's about 1/2 mile? up from the busier part of Miami beach/Ocean drive - but I love this feature. If I want to mix with the general population, I can just head down.

I also LOVE the David Barton Gym - hotel guests can access for $15/daily. I went all days I stayed there -well worth it! Gorgeous gym - likened more like a nightclub where the elliptical machines are lit museum-spotlight style, which some people may not like - and not quite my style either, but the equipment is good, new, and the different "zones" to work out made the large space seem "cozy." You have gym/lockers access all day, so if you were checking out but had time to hit the beach or do whatever before you go home, then you can hit the nice showers to freshen up <-- I hate flying home all grimy from the beach. I regret I didn't have a chance to utilize their spa services - as I had services scheduled at my favorite Uhma Spa in Miami Beach.

Some people may think this hotel is $$$, but I have stayed in smaller art-deco boutique hotels in Miami Beach which were far crappier, less amenity-ed, small rooms, and cost just as much ($300-$400 range per night). Overall, I loved this hotel, my entire stay was incident-free and I am definitely staying here again on my future stays.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

The Perry Hotel is in a great location, right on the beach front and close to Lincoln Road shopping centre. Internally the hotel looks great, a very modern look and feel in the reception with an amazing aquarium with sharks in. There is a small, free to use, business centre (6 computers and a printer) and free wifi avalaible in everyroom (you need to log in every day). The rooms are massive, to a point when they almost feel too big. We had a large bed, a sofa and two arm chairs, a dinning table with four chairs and still the room felt a bit empty. The room was clean and well presented. The pool bar on the roof is great, warm pool, lots of sunshine and food and drink available.

The down side of the Perry was the service, reception were fine and the maids were polite but the bar staff were more interested in sorting out dates for the night than serving and the porters were just plain lazy. Rarely held the doors open even when you had luggage and they requested tips all the time.

The hotel does have major building working going on at the moment, there is a small note about this on their website. The earth shaking drillings starts at 8am and finishes at 5pm. If like us you pay extra for a sea view you will be disappointed because all of the rooms have had their balconies closed off for the building work. This isnt noted on their website.

I wont stay here again because when I am on holiday and paying a lot of money for a decent hotel I expect decent service and unfortunately this hotel falls short in this area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

The photo of the hotel makes it look like it is about 16 stories tall but the upper 8 floors are condos or apartments. And the hotel includes only one of the wings on the photo so you are most likely to get a low story room facing Collins street or overlooking a huge, green HVAC system. The rooftop pool is real and very nice. Rooms are nicely furnished but the artwork can be offensive. No balconies are open due to the renovation. The staff was friendly with the exception of an unhelpful conciere young lady working in the evening. The printer is the business center only works with some of the computers which make me think this hotel is not for business people. A continental breakfast in an area near the gym will run about $25, $32 with two eggs.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

From the front desk to the the housekeeping to the bar staff the employees were all smiles and hospitable. I felt welcome there as if I were part of the family.

• Stayed July 2012
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

If you aren't looking for a scene, this place may not be for you.

This was a great location for Miami fashion week, especially since several events were right in the hotel. You are greeted by the scented lobby and everything is uber-designed. The rooftop pool is more appropriate for posing than swimming (true recreational swimmers should check out the 3rd floor pool).

If you like having nightlife all around you and rolling back into bed, this is great. If you are looking for secluded relaxation, I recommend the Angler's Resort further south.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

As mentioned in several of my reviews, I'm a South FL local and have had over a dozen stay-cations in South Beach hotels. This one ties the W for #1 in my book. I stayed here twice b/c I liked it so much (a bachlorette weekend, and my birthday weekend with my husband... it's the perfect hotel for both those occasions). It is a gorgeous hotel, very trendy, very upscale. It's also a very sexy hotel (glass showers, provocative art in the rooms) so I would probably recommend it more for couples and girls weekends than for families. Both times I stayed the rooms were HUGE! Biggest "regular" hotel rooms I've ever stayed in (besides condos/suites with multiple rooms). The color schemes are great... I liked it so much, I even decorated my guest room in similar hues. Oh and MOST COMFORTABLE BEDS I'VE EVER SLEPT IN! Seriously. I want to know where they get their bedding! Everything is very high-tech and trendy and clean.

The rooftop pool is definitely worth boasting about. Best/most fun pool in South Beach hands-down. Everything up there is too pricey though. $24 for a strawberry mojito and let me tell you.......it was gross. The rooftop bar is nice at night too but again, I'm not a fan of the over-priced, poorly mixed drinks so I'll deduct points for that. The main pool is very nice too, as is the beach, lobbies, ect. It's just a really fun, upscale, Miami hotel.

I did have one issue there....... one night we came back and wanted to order food.....their ordering service had closed at 1am and it was 2am (NOTHING should close in SoBe at 1am especially in a hotel like this). So we decided to watch TV........it wouldn't work. They sent a technician, he couldn't fix it, so they gave us a free breakfast (it was nice but I wouldn't pay $24/pp for it if it wasn't free). I guess it was handled well, but they need to get the food service working later.

Summary: awesome rooms, awesome pools, overpriced drinks, above-average service (but not outstanding). I'd say if you go here, look for a deal and only stay here if you are planning to spend awhile in the room/on the property or it wouldn't be worth it. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

When we arrived at the Perry South Beach the front of the building was covered in scaffolding and we could not find the front door until a passer by pointed us to it. The bell boys were too busy joking and standing around to show us and help with our cases. At reception we were told that the building was being renovated and that the workers would start at 7.00am and finish at 7.00pm and outside the room on the 8th floor there was scaffolding. The room was large and very dark with a small kitchen but no utensils, crockery or pans so we couldn't use the kitchen if we had wanted too. Although there was a coffee machine in the room we had to pay for the coffee. The bed was very old and lumpy. The noise throughout the night was terrible with parties and people screaming. The next morning we immediately changed hotels. When I complained at the reception, the receptionist wasn't interested. The worst hotel I have stayed in in the USA. Certainly not 4 star hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Perry, South Beach? Share your experiences!