“Worst Hotel stay of my life! Should be called Metro"hole"” 1 of 5 stars

Metropole Apartments
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   635 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #72 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Clearwater, Florida, United States
“Worst Hotel stay of my life! Should be called Metro"hole"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

A vacation should be a positive and stress-free experience but my stay was anything but.

The facts:

· I called for assistance “Every Day” of our stay.

· Dealing with lights not working

· Flooding in our room

· Never getting anything resolved

· Our stay was uncomfortable and unpleasant

· Health and Fire hazards

I was hoping to get this resolved and speak to someone of authority, but I am now frustrated and as of 5 days later nothing has been resolved. I reported them to fraud dept. with Visa. I am hoping to get full charges compensated. Nothing has been done by Metropole or South Beach Group. I am not sure if I would even book with South Beach Group bantique hotels ever again! I have never been treated like this in my life!

The worst hotel stay of my life!

We checked in to the Metropole at 4:00 pm on Friday, January 25, 2013. We entered a well sunlit room. We were all very tired from our long 5-hour drive and decided to take a nap. It was dark when we woke up. I flipped on the light in the bathroom and immediately one of the two lights went out. I asked my sister to call downstairs and let them know about the problem. Before she got off the phone the other light went out, and before maintenance arrived, the kitchen light went out, too!

We were all very excited to be in South Beach but trying to get ready was a challenge. On the first night of our vacation, all four of us were stuck in the one small room – the only one with light.

Meanwhile, the maintenance man arrived while we were all half dressed and stayed for quite a while (this was very awkward)!!! He did not speak English and had a translator with him who explained that the fire safety light turns off when overheated and are only meant to stay on for up to 15 minutes. He then proceeded to bring some lamps up to the room.

The next morning, January 26, 2013, the lights in the bathroom and kitchen were still not working! We called the front desk and asked for someone who can PLEASE fix the lighting situation! We were heading out for the day, so we asked that they wait until we are gone. When we returned in the later part of the afternoon we realized the lights were still not working! We could not believe this was happening!

Sunday, January 27, 2013. As if the lighting issue wasn't enough, the ceiling had leaked water all night and we now had a huge pool of water in our room. It was a consistent drip and seemed to have been an ongoing problem. After looking at the ceiling, floor, and warped door it was obvious that this was not the first, second, or third time this had happened.

At this point I had had it! We had nothing to wipe it up with because housekeeping hadn't brought us new towels after taking our used ones the day before. So once again, I called downstairs to speak with a Manager. I spoke with Sebastian and told him we needed extra towels to wipe up the floor! They said they would fix the leak. In the meantime, we used a bucket to catch the water. So now, not only is our room dark, it is wet too! YUCK! Not to mention a real safety hazard!

Lisa

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Metropole Apartments, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Hello Lisa C,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback!! A vacation should definitely be stress free. I apologize that you did not have an amazing time while staying with us! I am very sorry to hear that the lights in your room went out. I find it very strange that they all went out- one after the other. You could have simply informed the maintenance man to come back in 5 minutes, so that you could get fully dressed and felt comfortable. It would have been his pleasure to do so. Can you please provide me with the number to the room that you were staying in. I would love for the head of the maintenance department to go into that room to check the electricity. This has never happened before in any of our rooms and I am starting to have a feeling that the leak has something to do with the lights going out.
Did you ask Sebastian to change your room? To another room that was not leaking and had functioning lights? If we did have rooms, he would have accommodated you with no problem! The last thing that we want to do is have our guests in a room that is hazardous!

I look forward in hearing from you!

Katrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Hebrew first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

I was bit afraid ,to be honest,when I entered the property as I had read mixed reviews and the first thing I noticed was the small entrance. I was then greated by both rene and mr. marcos.
The check in was swift and easy. The room modern and spacious and most importantly CLEAN. The perks are an excellent addition, unlimeted drinks, free chairs and towels for the beach, WIFI and airport transfer. I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL!.

• Stayed January 2013
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Metropole Apartments, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Hello Colorado223,

Thank you for sharing your honest feedback with us and all of our future guests! They love to read what you have to say about your recent stay with us!! I am glad that you were given great service from the moment you walked in!! I see that you were content with your room and the cleanliness of it! Our amenities are great and all of our guests love them! From the R/T shuttle, to the beach chairs, to the cocktail hour.
We hope to host your next visit to South Beach!!!

Norfolk, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My first trip to Miami I travel with two of my girlfriends. We searched the web for weeks looking for a great hotel that offered two rooms at a decent price. The hotel was seemingly perfect offering everything we wanted. We reserved the FREE shuttle from the airport we waited for 2 long hours it never arrived. I had call the hotel to my surprise the listed number for the hotel was to the reservation line which was CLOSED me and my friends began to search the web to find a front desk number to no avail. After about 45 more minutes we were some how able to reach Catalina hotel and ask them to get us in touch with our hotel...it took us over 3 hours for the shuttle when we asked the driver what happen he just calmly stated he did not come...I couldn't believe it that leaving guest strained at airport was ok to say the least. Once we arrived I informed the front desk clerk of our 3 hour long issue of not being able to contact hotel and the issue with the shuttle. He then informed us that it is a free shuttle and we should glad it arrived. I am beyond furious at this point so I ask to speak with a manager who would not be in until the morning. I asked that he contact as soon as he arrived. Worst arrival I have ever had.

The front desk and hallway feel more like a dark creepy closet than a warm and refreshing oasis near a beach. Once we were able to reach our room we opened the door to what appeared to be a swarm of flies and fruit flies gross I have never been to any beach hotel and encounter this problem. I must note that I also live near a beach as well and don't have this problem. There were stains on the furniture in the living room the refrigerator look like someone had punched several times. The room was very very s dark not good for putting on makeup or checking yourself in the mirror. But I must say we stay in a two room in the main garden area and the size of the apartment was great. The size of the bedroom a bit of an issue as the bed nearly touches both walls so it's like you have to literally squeeze between the the tv and bed to get to the window on the opposite side of the bed. Oh and the windows have prison bars on them so the only view was of a nasty dumpster in an alley.

The next morning the GM Andreas never called or came to my room I had to call twice before getting his attention in the garden/lobby area. Once informed of the major issue he seem a little careless but stated that he would address the situation. Housekeeping not great left bathroom dirty and no toilet paper or enough towels. The design of the shower allows for water get all over the bathroom floor (safety hazard).

There were some pros to this 5 day girls weekend
The location was AMAZING in walking distance to nearly everything we only caught a taxi once that was due to rainy weather. The apartment feel allowed us to relax and have a few drinks before heading out each night. Happy Hour each night was great too. The splash pool was nice to dip your toes and have a few laughs among friends an other friendly travelers. Check out I encounter the same problem the shuttle never came front desk only offered to call taxi but said again it's a free shuttle so we can't rely on it's arrival. Poor service. This is very cheap hotel in an AWESOME location. not worth the 4 stars it say they should be. Also I don't understand why they promote a free shuttle and charge you a resort fee of 15 dollars at day....In reading a few responses from the hotel mgmt Katrine states the 15 pays for the amenities they offer by the hotel. Hmmm so the shuttle is NOT free at all. Will not be staying here or any other South Beach Group Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms in the garden area seem to have the best view of the splash pool
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Hello SassiTraveler33,

Thank you so much for your extensive review on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! We are glad that you chose to share it with us! I apologize that you were not able to get in contact with the hotel. All of our contact information is on the internet for the public to see. Our shuttle service is steadily monitored and the shuttle didn't come, just because he want to come. There are times where there has been an accident or an unexpected traffic jam that we are not aware of, therefore the shuttle can run late. Miami is definitely known for it's lovely traffic. I am sure that the shuttle driver just didn't understand your question, which is why his response was as such.
The personality of our hotel is dark and sophisticated. We do offer extra lamps for those guests who would like a little more illumination in their room. Were you able to ask the front desk or the operator if they could provide you with that?
I apologize about the lack of communication from our team. I am glad that Andreas stated that he was going to address the issue to his staff. We are currently working on finding a solution for the shower.
The location of our property is definitely great! We are in the heart of South Beach, within walking distance to all of the major attractions!! I am glad that you were able to enjoy our complimentary cocktail hour from 7-8pm!
Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Have an amazing day!

Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Do not stay there!!! This hotel was 2-2.5 star rating not 4 star. I have stayed in many 4 star hotels, this one does not come even close. Very small front entry, hallways and elevator. All plumbing was very badly installed and falling apart, mouldy stains in the bathroom tile. The shower was leaking. Air conditioner is very noisy and rusty. The staff was helpful but it did not compensate for the condition of the hotel and the rest. The $15"resort " and $32 parking fees per day are ridiculous. Maybe good only for one night if you party person and need a place to sleep for a few hours... I will never stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Metropole Apartments, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Hello FairComments2day,

Thank you for posting your feedback for all of our guests to read! I apologize that you found the hotel to be a 2 to 2.5 star hotel. We are indeed a 4 star boutique hotel. Everything in a boutique hotel is a bit smaller then in your average "normal" sized hotel. The $15 resort fee is for the wonderful amenities that you love to enjoy such as the R/T shuttle from MIA Airport, complimentary cocktail hour from 7-8 nightly, WiFi, etc. The charge for valet is a very reasonable price considering you are able to take your car in and out as many times as you would like in one day, and only pay one price. The lots and garages around us charge you a flat rate every time you decide to take your car out.

We would hope that you would give us another chance.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Just checked out of the Metropole hotel on yesterday, 1/21. Marco was the front desk attendant that check us in, and to be the only person assisting guests at such a busy time of the day, he did a pretty decent job of trying to accommodate everyone in a timely manner. The room was clean and they even brought my girlfriend a bottle of wine in honor of her bachelorette weekend, which was pretty nice. The pool is more the size of a hot tub and the transaction process for check-in/out is a little dated, but it gets the job done.

There were a few maintenance issues that we had to call downstairs for such as the toilet clogging AFTER the room service came to clean and room service not leaving towels or toilet paper. But the hotel worked quickly to resolve these minor inconveniences. On the other hand, they offer chairs and wi-fi for the beach, which was a nice plus.

Our concern came down to the staff and their communications with guest regarding all of the other services that they "offer", specifically the free shuttle to MIA airport. Upon checkout, we were asked if we needed to reserve the shuttle for airport transfer. After confirming, we were informed to come down 15 minutes prior to the hours. After 30 minutes of waiting, the front desk attendant begins to explain that sometimes the shuttle does not come if it is full, but maybe wait longer. After waiting nearly 45 minutes, they indicated that they offer a cab service, but that the hotel would not pay for it. I cannot understand how the hotel promotes a free shuttle service (which is of course, not free and is considered in the hotel rate) and when you plan for that and reserve it, they make no accommodations to help get you an alternative method to the airport when THEIR service failed. Thankfully, my sister made her flight, but her luggage did not make the plane. I have called twice to speak to the General Manger, Andreas (sp), but they continue to tell me to call back at another time and Michael, who answered the phone this morning, proceeded to tell me "good luck" with that, since its not the hotel's fault that no one communicated that the shuttle would never come and that it would have come in the next hour. That is not OK. Metropole indicated that they are shooting to be a 5 star rated hotel, but with this type of service, I am not sure they will get there anytime soon.

Either way, customer service is a pet peeve of mine. And while this hotel is in an excellent location, having people take your money and they do not offer the full extent of the service that they advertise is not OK with me.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Good Afternoon Angela J,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests read! I am glad to read that during our busy times that Marco was able to assist you in accommodating you in a timely manner! Even brought your girlfriend a bottle of wine as a little gift from us! :) I apologize that you encountered some minor inconveniences with the towels and toilet, but glad that we were able to resolve quickly! In regards to the shuttle service. It is indeed free and is scheduled to come at certain times everyday. In the case of which there is a lot of unexpected traffic or an accident that we are not aware about, the shuttle will definitely run late. The shuttle does always come to pick up and drop off guests. We offered to call a cab for you but not to compensate it due to a late shuttle.
We are not a 5 star hotel and do not consider ourselves to be. We are a 4 star boutique hotel.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We were skeptical about bringing our 4 year old to South Beach as it's more of an adult place. Being so close to everything means we could walk everywhere and once we were in the room, there was no noise and everything was sparking clean and modern, and what a bargain. We got lucky with this one!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Metropole Apartments, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Good Afternoon SandyLy0ns,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your wonderful feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! We are extremely glad that you were content with the location of our property! We are definitely within walking distance to everything- very convenient for our guests! We are also glad to know that your room was quiet, clean and comfortable!!! We hope to host your next visit to South Beach!!!

Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Nice hotel with comfortable beds! The pool is pretty much the size of a large jacuzzi. Good location for the money you definitely cannot go wrong with this place. I did not have much interaction with the service being that my friends had already checked in upon my arrival but from what I've heard it was pretty descent.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Metropole Apartments, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Good Afternoon Chad,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your review on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! We are so glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us!!! Our location is great! We are in the middle of all of the action, yet far enough to get a great nights sleep! We hope to have you stay with us again soon!!

Katrine

Been to Metropole Apartments? Share your experiences!