“Apartment living...Had a great time! Jersey Shore style!” 5 of 5 stars

Metropole Apartments
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   635 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #72 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York
“Apartment living...Had a great time! Jersey Shore style!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

This was my third time going to Miami and I wanted more of an apartment feel than hotel. We were planning to stay for 5 days so we wanted something comfortable and big. I'm a college student so I wanted to save money by staying at a place with kitchen, living room etc so you save money by cooking some food and having drinks in the apartment.. I looked into hostels, home away, airbnb and ended up at the Metrople after getting great rates.

If you want the restaurant, bar, lobby, room service, breakfast in bed, pool towels etc then go to a hotel... If you want more of a self service, apartment, home away from home... Come here!!

Pros:
-I thought the service was great. Checkin was easy and fast. We were checked in by Darien who also gave us comp cards to go out to the clubs and info about happy hour, the shuttle etc
-the next day Sebastian and Michael were working at the desk... They hooked us up with Mick and the shuttle and also gave us great recommendations.
-we stayed on the 4th floor, in the middle, had a view of Collins and also ocean drive
-having the two tvs, microwave, walk in closet, dining room table was great... It felt just like an apartment... I've stayed at other hotels in Miami... This place was nice!!!
-a couple friends who were staying in sunny isles came to visit... It was nice to show off our "jersey shore hotel"... The living room was great to host in as well as the patio/garden downstairs. We were hanging out before going out on the town... And it did get noisy. There was a noise complaint and the staff were very professional in telling us to turn the music down.
-checkout was also great... No hidden charges... No surprises...they stored our bags for the day

Cons
-we needed an iron.... Called downstairs and they brought one to the room in minutes
-iPod dock was broken... Maintenance man came and replaced it in 10 mins.... Nice guy from Cuba
-curtains had some stains on them.... But these are curtains.... Not a dealbreaker... We didn't mind.... Overall the place was clean and the maid came everyday. I'm asthmatic and dust can trigger an attack... So I needed somewhere clean... This place was clean!
-the pool is small... So we just went to the ocean...not a big deal

Overall being in an apartment that was cleaned everyday, having a free shuttle so we saved on cabs, location...right next to the beach and ocean drive and Collins, near the buses so we rode the bus to downtown Miami, the mall etc, happy hour across the street at the Whitelaw....a fridge and microwave oven and plates and cutlery so we bought things like pizza and drinks and had them in our apartment... This was the best vacation ever! We lived that south beach life!

Thank you Darien...wish u all the best with your fiancé! Thanks Michael and Sebastian! I'm def comin back here the next time I am in Miami and would def recommend it

Room Tip: 4th floor! Also they have 1 bedrooms with 2 double beds Talk to Darien... He's the man!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Metropole Apartments, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Good Afternoon Traveltraveltravel32,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your wonderful feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! We are very glad that you chose to stay with us on your 3rd trip to Miami Beach! We definitely do offer that big, comfortable feel for those who want to really feel like their in a home away from home. We work hard to provide outstanding service to each and every guest that comes through those doors. I will let Darien know about your wonderful praise in regards to the service he gave you at the time of check in. We are glad that you were offered our complimentary club passes and info on our cocktail hour! Sebastian and Michael are also wonderful assets to the company! They all work hard to give our guests the attention that they deserve! I apologize to hear that you ran into a few minor inconveniences but our staff was able to accommodate you fast and efficiently! Your feedback is extremely appreciated! We hope you come back to stay with us soon!!

Katrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Hebrew first
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The one thing missing was a bar. The pool was more of a splashy splash. The rooms were great, though I may have changed some of the design particulars (such as: shower running out of itself, as it were). Service was fine. Good location and price, close to pretty much everything. Other than that... Why not?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Metropole Apartments, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Good Morning Architextured,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated! Our pool is a boutique hotel style pool just like our rooms. Our staff works hard to provide the best service and I am glad that you were given that! Our location is great. In the heart of SoBe but far enough for you to get a wonderful nights sleep! We hope to have you stay with us again soon!

Have a great day!

Rome, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Location is just great , but the hotel is very badly run. Lobby service is a bit rude depending on the time of the day , they can be nice as they can be rude, not consistent. There was a very stinky smell on the corridors, elevator seems to be from 2 centuries ago and the cleanliness of the hotel in general leaves much to be desired. Rooms are spacious and well appointed, they charge a 15 USD per day for resort fee??? I wonder which part of the hotel is a resort if the pool is a jacuzzi size and they give beach towels if you need so well... though internet wifi is free and works fine.
Don't expect much of service but a kind off worn apart hotel , good size and medium level service. 3 stars for sure.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Metropole Apartments, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Good Day Gian Carlos,

Your honest feedback is greatly appreciated! I am very sorry to read that you did not find the hotel to be amazing. Was there anyone in particular of the lobby staff that you remember being rude and not consistent? I will definitely inform the housekeeping staff about the smell in the corridors. I am very happy to read that you were content with the size of the room. Almost every hotel will charge a resort fee. The fee covers all of our amenities. Thank you for your feedback!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I have stayed at over 10 hotels in Miami and South Beach area. This hotel is by far the worst. The management is shady and the business practices are questionable at best (even by South Beach standards.)

Pros:
- The hotel reception staff is great. All of them are nice, welcoming, and courteous. This is impressive for South Beach and was the highlight of our stay at this hotel.
- Rooms are a great size and well decorated.
- Outside lounge area is comfortable and enjoyable.
- Good value if you get a working room.

Cons:
- Maintenance at this hotel is horrific. This was worse then any hotel I have stayed in ... including in 3rd world countries. For example, out toilets had to be fixed 2 times (broken after every maid visit and started to fix it ourselves after the second complaint), sink wouldn't drain, shower had no hot water, a colony of black flys were living on the bathroom walls, A/C didn't work and we had to pay to be upgraded to a room with A/C (no joke I have the receipt to prove this), and I could go on and on.
- Cleanliness is not something they pride themselves on. We had tennis sized human hair balls in two rooms, the beds in the rooms were only sometimes straightened up, more then one piece of silverware had old food stuck to it, and the bathroom was never cleaned.

Highlight:
- Our bathroom was not in working order and the A/C was broken. We are talking 80+ degrees at night with no breeze. We reported the issue to management and they said we would take care of the issue for you during the day. When we came back at night and the A/C was still broken and we were informed that it was because the compressor needed to be replaced. The night auditor is a great guy and did everything he could do to help us out. The best he could offer was to move us to the only other available room that was a two-bedroom suit (upgrade) for one night. However, we would have to move to a different room the next morning as the general manager wouldn't allow us to keep the upgrade for our remaining 2 nights. So the result was that if we wanted to have a room with a working bathroom and A/C for the remainder of our say we would need to move rooms 2 times or pay an upgrade fee.

What respectable hotel chain treats their guests in this way? None! This was completely the fault of the GM and not the reception/auditor staff. In fact, if it was wasn't for the night staff working so hard and being so kind, I would have dedicated days of my time reporting this shady business to every place that would listen.

Room Tip: Pray you get a room that is in working order and everything will be all right.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Good Afternoon,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback for all of our future guests to read! I am very sorry that this hotel did not fit your standards! I am very glad to read that the service was great- welcoming and curteous! Also very glad to see that the room size was great and well decorated! I am extremely sorry to hear about the service of our maintenance department. Can you please provide me with your room number so that I can look into the maintenance issues and find out why you were never helped. As soon as I get the number to the room you were staying in I will be about to research this.

I look forward in hearing back from you!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I stayed here for three nights for the second part of my Miami trip, and I must say that I would've stayed here for the entire trip if my decision of hotel were solely based on location and comfort. I read the reviews before booking the hotel, so I knew there were mixed reviews for the hotel. But since the location of the hotel is superb, and I got the room for half of the price, I decided to take a chance. I must say, that was a great decision.

To start, we arrived at the hotel at around 11:30 am on Columbus Day after checking out from the first hotel we stayed for the previous two nights. We were told no room was ready at the time, which we totally expected and had plans. We only asked to store the luggage there while we go Downtown for the boat ride on Biscayne Bay. The front desk person Sebastian graciously agreed and asked if we needed directions or any suggestions on places to go for food nearby. I asked Sebastian if it would be possible to have a one bedroom suite with 2 beds once they're ready, and he promised he would try as there are only limited number of rooms with two beds and two of the rooms are still occupied. When we returned later to officially check in, we found that all our special requests were honored, which included having two beds, on a higher floor, and being a quiet room away from the street. We were given room 411, which is on the 4th floor and faces 7th St.
The room itself was excellent as well. Spacious bedroom, walk in closet, and modern living room and kitchen. The electric outlets were a little tricky to work out at first, but I soon figured out how it worked. If there is a light switch controlling one of the "outlet plates", turning off that switch means there will be no more electricity being supplied to the two outlets that are on that plate. Duh! I do agree with other reviewers on the shower stall. The halfway enclosure of the shower was stylish but not very practical, water splashed all over the bathroom floor whenever one of us showered. Nevertheless that is a minor trade off for such a beautiful room. It is indeed a bit dark in the nighttime, but since we were not here to make up our faces heavily and party every night, this was not a problem for us. We probably made up our faces one time, and the lighting was sufficient. So if you are someone who needs to put on flawlessly professional make up daily, the lighting here might not suit you; conversely, if you're simply here to relax and maybe require make up once in a while, this will be a VERY comfortable place for you. The beds were VERY comfortable, and the black out curtains did their job well, such that we had problem getting up early as we had planned to. Not one day did we wake up before 10 am, what a waste of sunshine! During our stay, the staff accommodated every request we had with professionalism. Though all the staff were very professional and fulfilled our requests graciously, I must say that Sebastian was the best amongst all; in my opinion, he was the one who seemed most caring and sincere. And, the icing on the cake, the hotel provides free beach chairs upon request, as well as beach towels, besides the shuttle service to and from MIA, and the free happy hour daily at their sister hotels. All the extras definitely worth the $15 resort fee they charge daily.

To sum it up, my stay at Metropole exceeded my expectations. I did not experience one unpleasant or rude staff, any uncleanliness of the room, or hardware malfunction. As some other reviewers have noted, people who complained about the hotel simply expected too much for what it is worth. Frankly, I am not sure if this is a 4-star accommodation by the national standard, but I am certain this is definitely above 3-star by South Beach boutique hotel standard. For people who book a room here and stay at the maximum number of people allowed for the room type in the room, you assumed some trade-off in comfort. You wouldn't live in a two bedroom apartment with 5 other people, or get in a Corolla with 4 other people, and still expect luxurious comfort, would you? Simply put, with grow and sexy accommodation, comes grown and sexy price. And trust me, the price you pay here is NOT that kind of price.

Room Tip: higher floor away from the street
Good Morning Ian,

Thank you for taking your time to post your nice feedback for all of our future guests to read! We also wish that you would've stayed with us for your entire trip! I am very glad to read that from the moment you had checked in you were given great service by Sebastian at the front desk. I will let him know of your kind praise! Our employee's always love to hear praises about their hard work! I will let management know of your comment in regards to the shower as well as the lighting in the room. I see that you were able to take advantage of a few of our amenities such at the cocktail hour, beach towels and the shuttle. We hope to see you soon!

Miami Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Third stay at hotel metropole and I gotta say I return for a reason, great apartment size room with kitchen and perfect location.
But....this time accompanied by the lamest service I've experienced in or outside the country.
First, I call front desk and a girl extends my checkout by 30min gratis. Cool. Then I get a guy with attitude calling the room as Im about to leave to 'inform' me checkout was a half hour ago. Yeah I get that, but no use explaining that his associate and he need to practice better communication skills.
Then at checkout I'm informed there is 'a problem' with one of the airport shuttle vans. These actually service all of the so beach properties branded hotels in SOBE, and the once an hour airport run is already not the most convenient. As a result of the trouble, the van is 'in the shop' apparently all day today so now there will be airport service only every two hours. Lame. I ask for a manager as I'm sure I can help solve the problem. (I'm thinking, go rent a van for $75 bucks for the day rather than tick off your guests-I even offer to do the legwork and get them a rental deal by summoning my Priceline superpowers) Mgr arrives, plot thickens. Now it's a flat tire. Really? In tbe shop all day for that? Oops 2 min later it's 'we don't actually know what the problem is'
Wow.
So the service ("but it's free, how can you complain"states the guy at reception) has been reduced 50% but monsieur manager thinks that's A-OK.
I call [--]. And make my way to the nearest espresso shop to lick my wounds.
Kind of typical of slick business practices (save a buck by trimming service) of some of these small Florida hotels, just be aware.

• Stayed October 2012
Good Morning Rersey,

Your feedback matters and we are glad that you chose to share it with us! It is always nice to know about our returning guests! I apologize for the lack of communication that we had between our staff. In regards to the shuttle, we were experiencing mechanical issues that were out of our control to fix therefore we had to take the shuttle to the shop. We tried to fix the issue so we would be able to give that service to our guests but we were not able to. This happened in the early morning so we didn't have much time to inform all of our guests. I am sorry that the front desk mis informed you. There was a problem with the belt and we didn't want to put any of our guests in danger. How were you to get to the airport?

I hope to hear from you soon!

Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

i stayed at the metropole for one week for one week. i stayed there before about 3 years ago but i must say the quality of the serice has changed. I frequently had to ask for the towels and other tolierties there was a slight unusual smell in the shower and the AC was not not very consisitant i had a problem getting the front desk during the day,but the evening staff especially Micheal was excellent! Micheal was very helpful and very much customer service oriented, i never at any moment felt that any request was to much! we need more michaels at the metropole. Either way the next time i hit miami i may consider staying there.The location is great, i wished for the resort fee that they at least added beach chairs.

Hello Nalex29,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated! I am very glad to read that you are a returning guest! I will definitely let our team know about the shift of service and the smell in the shower. Michael is a wonderful asset to the team! He loves being there to serve the guest and he does such a wonderful job and we are very happy to have him on our team! I will let him know of your kind praise! When you are coming back to South Beach- please let me know and I would love to personally handle your reservation! We hope to see you soon!

Katrine

Been to Metropole Apartments? Share your experiences!