“Definitely will stay again” 4 of 5 stars

Metropole Apartments
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   635 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #99 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York City, New York
“Definitely will stay again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I stayed here for three nights for the second part of my Miami trip, and I must say that I would've stayed here for the entire trip if my decision of hotel were solely based on location and comfort. I read the reviews before booking the hotel, so I knew there were mixed reviews for the hotel. But since the location of the hotel is superb, and I got the room for half of the price, I decided to take a chance. I must say, that was a great decision.

To start, we arrived at the hotel at around 11:30 am on Columbus Day after checking out from the first hotel we stayed for the previous two nights. We were told no room was ready at the time, which we totally expected and had plans. We only asked to store the luggage there while we go Downtown for the boat ride on Biscayne Bay. The front desk person Sebastian graciously agreed and asked if we needed directions or any suggestions on places to go for food nearby. I asked Sebastian if it would be possible to have a one bedroom suite with 2 beds once they're ready, and he promised he would try as there are only limited number of rooms with two beds and two of the rooms are still occupied. When we returned later to officially check in, we found that all our special requests were honored, which included having two beds, on a higher floor, and being a quiet room away from the street. We were given room 411, which is on the 4th floor and faces 7th St.
The room itself was excellent as well. Spacious bedroom, walk in closet, and modern living room and kitchen. The electric outlets were a little tricky to work out at first, but I soon figured out how it worked. If there is a light switch controlling one of the "outlet plates", turning off that switch means there will be no more electricity being supplied to the two outlets that are on that plate. Duh! I do agree with other reviewers on the shower stall. The halfway enclosure of the shower was stylish but not very practical, water splashed all over the bathroom floor whenever one of us showered. Nevertheless that is a minor trade off for such a beautiful room. It is indeed a bit dark in the nighttime, but since we were not here to make up our faces heavily and party every night, this was not a problem for us. We probably made up our faces one time, and the lighting was sufficient. So if you are someone who needs to put on flawlessly professional make up daily, the lighting here might not suit you; conversely, if you're simply here to relax and maybe require make up once in a while, this will be a VERY comfortable place for you. The beds were VERY comfortable, and the black out curtains did their job well, such that we had problem getting up early as we had planned to. Not one day did we wake up before 10 am, what a waste of sunshine! During our stay, the staff accommodated every request we had with professionalism. Though all the staff were very professional and fulfilled our requests graciously, I must say that Sebastian was the best amongst all; in my opinion, he was the one who seemed most caring and sincere. And, the icing on the cake, the hotel provides free beach chairs upon request, as well as beach towels, besides the shuttle service to and from MIA, and the free happy hour daily at their sister hotels. All the extras definitely worth the $15 resort fee they charge daily.

To sum it up, my stay at Metropole exceeded my expectations. I did not experience one unpleasant or rude staff, any uncleanliness of the room, or hardware malfunction. As some other reviewers have noted, people who complained about the hotel simply expected too much for what it is worth. Frankly, I am not sure if this is a 4-star accommodation by the national standard, but I am certain this is definitely above 3-star by South Beach boutique hotel standard. For people who book a room here and stay at the maximum number of people allowed for the room type in the room, you assumed some trade-off in comfort. You wouldn't live in a two bedroom apartment with 5 other people, or get in a Corolla with 4 other people, and still expect luxurious comfort, would you? Simply put, with grow and sexy accommodation, comes grown and sexy price. And trust me, the price you pay here is NOT that kind of price.

Room Tip: higher floor away from the street
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Metropole Apartments, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Good Morning Ian,

Thank you for taking your time to post your nice feedback for all of our future guests to read! We also wish that you would've stayed with us for your entire trip! I am very glad to read that from the moment you had checked in you were given great service by Sebastian at the front desk. I will let him know of your kind praise! Our employee's always love to hear praises about their hard work! I will let management know of your comment in regards to the shower as well as the lighting in the room. I see that you were able to take advantage of a few of our amenities such at the cocktail hour, beach towels and the shuttle. We hope to see you soon!

Katrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Miami Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Third stay at hotel metropole and I gotta say I return for a reason, great apartment size room with kitchen and perfect location.
But....this time accompanied by the lamest service I've experienced in or outside the country.
First, I call front desk and a girl extends my checkout by 30min gratis. Cool. Then I get a guy with attitude calling the room as Im about to leave to 'inform' me checkout was a half hour ago. Yeah I get that, but no use explaining that his associate and he need to practice better communication skills.
Then at checkout I'm informed there is 'a problem' with one of the airport shuttle vans. These actually service all of the so beach properties branded hotels in SOBE, and the once an hour airport run is already not the most convenient. As a result of the trouble, the van is 'in the shop' apparently all day today so now there will be airport service only every two hours. Lame. I ask for a manager as I'm sure I can help solve the problem. (I'm thinking, go rent a van for $75 bucks for the day rather than tick off your guests-I even offer to do the legwork and get them a rental deal by summoning my Priceline superpowers) Mgr arrives, plot thickens. Now it's a flat tire. Really? In tbe shop all day for that? Oops 2 min later it's 'we don't actually know what the problem is'
Wow.
So the service ("but it's free, how can you complain"states the guy at reception) has been reduced 50% but monsieur manager thinks that's A-OK.
I call [--]. And make my way to the nearest espresso shop to lick my wounds.
Kind of typical of slick business practices (save a buck by trimming service) of some of these small Florida hotels, just be aware.

• Stayed October 2012
Good Morning Rersey,

Your feedback matters and we are glad that you chose to share it with us! It is always nice to know about our returning guests! I apologize for the lack of communication that we had between our staff. In regards to the shuttle, we were experiencing mechanical issues that were out of our control to fix therefore we had to take the shuttle to the shop. We tried to fix the issue so we would be able to give that service to our guests but we were not able to. This happened in the early morning so we didn't have much time to inform all of our guests. I am sorry that the front desk mis informed you. There was a problem with the belt and we didn't want to put any of our guests in danger. How were you to get to the airport?

I hope to hear from you soon!

Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

i stayed at the metropole for one week for one week. i stayed there before about 3 years ago but i must say the quality of the serice has changed. I frequently had to ask for the towels and other tolierties there was a slight unusual smell in the shower and the AC was not not very consisitant i had a problem getting the front desk during the day,but the evening staff especially Micheal was excellent! Micheal was very helpful and very much customer service oriented, i never at any moment felt that any request was to much! we need more michaels at the metropole. Either way the next time i hit miami i may consider staying there.The location is great, i wished for the resort fee that they at least added beach chairs.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Hello Nalex29,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated! I am very glad to read that you are a returning guest! I will definitely let our team know about the shift of service and the smell in the shower. Michael is a wonderful asset to the team! He loves being there to serve the guest and he does such a wonderful job and we are very happy to have him on our team! I will let him know of your kind praise! When you are coming back to South Beach- please let me know and I would love to personally handle your reservation! We hope to see you soon!

Hermosa Beach, California, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Overall the hotel was good. We read the reviews before going and requested a room in the back to avoid noise. It was a good size room for what we paid for and really good location. They offered a free one hour happy hour at their sister properties. It was nice to have free drinks and see the other hotels. We got the hotel for about half its regular price and feel it was worth it for the size and location.

• Stayed October 2012
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Metropole Apartments, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Good Afternoon,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am very glad that you found Metropole to be good! :) I am also very happy to read that you were able to enjoy our complimentary cocktail hour from 7-8. Which hotel were you sipping cocktails at? We hope to have you stay with us again soon!

Have a great day!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Guys trip to South Beach and we all had our own rooms, they were nice and clean. Flats screens in living room and bedrooms...court yard was a good place to just hang out and meet other guests. Staff was helpful and friendly and open bar everynight from 7-8pm (at sister hotels) Bartender Sam makes a great drink (and she's cute) had a ball...Going back April 26, 2013 come join us...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Mulberry, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Loved everything about this place!! Location, dinnings, rooms were incredible!! Take it from someone who travels a lot , this place was a great spacious apartment. Partied hard and help was incredible!!! They don't have a pool but who cares when the beach is a block away!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Stayed in a two bed room suite with my friend. Can i say this is ONE OF THE BEST HOTELS in South Beach. I been to Miami 5 times and stayed in ok hotels, this one tops all of them. Perfect location, friendly staff, clean and spacious rooms with lots of closet space, full kitchen. Perfect home away from home. Complementary wine at the front desk. Overall this hotel is all positives. The only negative i have to say, is the second room doesn't have much lighten. Open up the curtains for more light. Other than that no complaints at all. Highly suggested. Free hotel shuttle to and from Miami airport. Free happy hour from 7-8 down the street at the White Law hotel.

Room Tip: Room 415 is a great room; the view oversee's Collins ave :)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Metropole Apartments? Share your experiences!