“Casa Grande” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #97 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Casa Grande”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

What you are paying for is the location and the size of the rooms. The Casa Grande is located right in the heart of Ocean Drive. If your looking for a quiet spot this isn't it, if your looking to be right in the middle of the action the location couldn't be better. The rooms are some of the largest in South Beach. Rooms are clean and the kitchenette is modern. The furnishings however are worn and need replacing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Booked a room several months in advance with Marissa the GM using a LivingSocial voucher. Received a confirmation number at time of booking, and called two days prior to my reservation date to confirm with Paul (front desk employee at night). I show up on the date of my reservation, after traveling across the country for an entire day, to NO room and a "lost" reservation!

Paul was working and remembered speaking to me, yet now he could find no evidence of my reservation. The confirmation number I was given was allegedly from their "old system" and he mocked me for booking in advance. I barely got him to call other hotels on my behalf, and showed no remorse for ruining my vacation. He put me in contact with Carlos, who also offered no reimbursement and passed the buck back to Marissa, who did not even extend the courtesy of responding to my e-mail.

Absolute worst customer service I have ever seen. They sold my reservation to someone else at a higher rate and left my wife and I with no place to stay at a busy time in South Beach. Do NOT book this hotel unless you are okay with unprofessional and rude hotel ownership.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This Hotel is a Clean place! Awesome Location Can't beat that, across the street from the wonderful beach ! Nothing fancy but the necessary for staying a couple nights in South Beach!
Will definately stay there again when I'm back!!! :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We stayed at the Casa Grande for a night before a cruise. I'd booked through Hotwire, paying much less than the rate through the hotel or other sites. At that discounted rate, I would say the cost of the room is mostly for the location - and not the room itself.

The lobby gives the appearance of a stereotypical South Beach boutique hotel - the saltwater aquarium, club music, nice seating area all give off a hip, funky feel, but the upper floors don't reflect this vibe. From the upstairs hallways on, the hotel is in dire need of a facelift. (To be fair, after getting a glimpse of other rooms through open doors, it seems not all rooms are the same - I can only speak to common areas and our room, 306).

The hallway reaked of old cigarette. The room doors needed a fresh coat of paint, and inside our room, the carpet badly needed to be replaced - there were big rips and even holes in it. We had no view - in fact, we looked directly into another window about two feet away. The general cleanliness of the room was somewhere between iffy and okay, except for the kitchen, which was spotless.

On the flip side, however, the room was huge, and travelling with kids, it was especially nice to have all the extra space. Best of all, however, and probably worth the price, was the location. There's an entrance to Miami Beach immediately across the street, and great restaurants lining the street in either direction. Casa Grande is literally in the middle of it all.

I'm not sure if I would book this hotel on a future trip, but wouldn't complain if I ended up there again. Just be warned: there's a $25 resort fee for their "breakfast" (stale cookies, and the worst coffee in the world, which isn't even served with milk or cream but whitener, of all things), beach towels (which we didn't use given the cold weather), and wi-fi Internet.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Even if you pay your total through bookit.com or expedia when you arrive at the the hotel they will charege you a 25 dlls extra fee per night! They say is for breakfast (coffe, oranges and cookies), beach towels and internet wich in their website they say is complimentary! So I think that for the money, you can stay at a much better place!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

How do I say this nicely....do NOT stay here. We came for a girls weekend and it was a major disappointment.

Here just a few things we learned during our stay:
Website - The website claims to have all of these great amenities, but it took us showing up to find out that it certainly does not and many claims are just an out-right lie. There is NO spa, no nightly turndown service, no robes....and the list goes on and on.
Noise - Of course, South Beach is going to be loud (that is the best part!), but when there is a 24-hour Fashion Show across the street from you and manager doesn't even give you a heads up when you arrive -- it is just plain rude. As someone who lives in Manhattan and deals with noise very well, it was one of the more painful experiences. In fact, someone from a our group left and stayed somewhere else.
Resort Fee - Most hotels in South Beach have this, but they have it for a good reason. This hotel does not deserve to ask for this. The staff said this was for the coffee, cookies and fruit in the morning. Again, a lie. We never saw a piece of fruit and both mornings we had to ask for cookies. Don't think you are getting real milk either....oh that would be too much.
Rude Staff - They were rude and unprofessional and in fact made a rude remark to one of our friends. Also, they promised to call me for my cab to the airport and "forgot" which meant us trying to hail down a cab early in the morning and barely making my flight.

My advice -- pay a little bit more money and stay some place else in the same location. It is not worth it at all and you will be disappointed in your experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Brantford, ON Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed at the Casa Grande for the 2nd year in a row. They rooms are great, the staff is nice, some fruit and coffee for breakfast and right in the heart of all the action. This hotel is on Ocean Drive and does not have a restaurant/bar attached which makes sleeping a bit easier. Still would recommend ear plugs while staying anywhere in SOBE. There is no pool but we didn't want a pool we just wanted the beach the beautiful beach that is right across the street. The hotel provides towels and chairs for the beach if you want them. There is a room resort fee of $25 that is added to your credit card when you check out. This is at every hotel except at least this is worth it covers towels, chairs, fruit, coffee, cookies etc. The is a man right out front that will take your vehicle and park if for you for $25 a day. This is cheaper than the valey parking offered by the hotel. They give you a card with a ticket number so you can give to front desk to call for your call to be brought to you. You can get your car as many times as you want also. It does take about 15 minutes so give yourself some time to order the vehicle...Once again another great stay at Casa Grande we will be returning every year and will not hesitate to stay here and only here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Casa Grande Suite Hotel of South Beach? Share your experiences!