“Awesome stay!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Angler's Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel

You added Angler's Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Angler's Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   660 Washington Ave, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly The Angler's Boutique Resort)   |
Special Offer
Upgrades & Breakfast- $5
Ranked #5 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Brooklyn, New York
“Awesome stay!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I had a chance to stay here and I was really impressed with the whole team. Some stand out staff members are especially Marven and Mark. Anything you need ask them about the area. The room was great as well.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Jacqueline P, General Manager at Angler's Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Gary S
Thanks for your great feedback. It makes us happy to hear that you were very impressed by the service Marven and Marc provided. We are glad you felt welcomed and genuine cared for.
We can’t wait having you back as our guest. Please return soon.
Jacqueline Ploettner, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

One of my very best friends and I were visiting Miami for 5 nights and we decided to stay at the Anglers. First of all, we were incredibly impressed by the friendliness of all the staff, who went out of their way to make our visit as awesome as possible. For example: after arriving and getting excited about our first night out, we had a "jewellery incident". We called downstairs and one of the hotel engineer staff came up to our room with pliers in hand; successfully unshackling me from my necklace. Another one of the staff lent us his beach umbrella for a few days. All of the staff felt like friends to us! The complimentary coffee in the morning is fantastic, however, you will need to drag yourself out of bed by 10am to go and get some (we typically failed at this task). The room was incredible; lots of space for two chicks travelling with an ungodly number of shoes (our final tally was 19 pairs), impeccably kept (always spotless), and the king size bed was super comfy, perfect for passing out on when we returned to the hotel at 5am. The only thing we would recommend is another towel rack for the bathroom. There is lots of closet/drawer space and hooks on the back of the door, but for some reason the lack of additional towel rack was crazy-making. It also could have been the lack of sleep that was crazy-making but that's besides the point. There is also a iPhone docking station for blasting hype music before heading out (we recommend some Drake) which was excellent. The only other thing to keep in mind with this hotel (besides the towel rack situation) is that the location is removed from the Art Deco district by a fair bit. The cab rides back and forth to heart of the action in SoBe will run you about $10 a pop each way, so keep that in mind. The walk isn't too long, but it's more akin to a pilgrimage through the desert when you factor in the heat (we went in July), and just not feasible in heels (ladies, bring flats and a plastic bag, and purse where you can stash your flats). Another option is to just take the bus and we recommend this option a great deal. It took us most of our trip to figure out that the simple solution is a quick bus ride up Washington Ave. Do this! The pool on site is a great retreat after a long day, and honestly, everything about this hotel is super fantastic. Just keep location in mind. Say hi to Jessica and Marvin for us when you book your stay!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Sarah S
Wow – what a wonderful review. Thanks so much for taking the time and writing such detailed feedback. We are thrilled that you loved everything about your stay, from our comfy and spacious guest rooms to our serene setting in the heart of South Beach. We appreciate your great comments about our staff, especially Jessica and Marven which are amazing.
We hope you will be visiting South Beach again as we would love to welcome you back as our guests soon.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Stayed for three nights in early June based largely on trip advisor reviews. On first view the property appeared a little tired / basic, a well loved but well worn block of old flats. The inside of the rooms were however very clean with evidence of upgrades, but it was more pleasant than spectacular.

The location is a few blocks back from the beach and a little removed from the hustle of ocean drive. This has positives and negatives, the latter being some interesting characters encountered on the walks to and from the hotel entrance. Didn't feel dangerous, but would be guests need to understand this hotel is in a built up area that includes some regular drunks / addicts that were clearly disturbed and outside the hotel every day. This is not the hotel's fault and is typical of any major American city, but it is there and therefore warrants being mentioned. The positive of the locations is a quiet night's sleep is certainly on offer.

The staff are friendly and amiable, albeit the food and drink is controlled by a tight and overly complex system of when the restaurant is open / closed and what times different food is on offer. This was all outlined at check in and it's always a bit if a downer when the first thing you hear is when something is closed / not open and what's not available at this time, etc. People will arrive at different times, sometimes after long flights and just what to know what is on offer. The complimentary wine and select cocktails every evening is however a nice touch that was appreciated by all.

If I could have given 3.5 I would have. This is a perfectly decent hotel, but it has perhaps been a little over blown on trip advisor. Combo of the reviews and the price (about $300 a night for a king bed including taxes) had expectations very high and is perhaps why I feel a little balance is needed.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
John B
Thanks for taking the time and sharing your feedback from your stay in June. We appreciate your kind words about our clean and upgraded guest rooms and our friendly staff. However, we are disappointed to see that we were not able to exceed your expectations and therefore we truly apologize.
We hope you will be giving us another chance when visiting Miami again. We would love to have you back as our guest.
orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Another great stay at Kimpton. My daughters and I are celebrating our birthday today at the Angler in Miami. Jessica, Alejandra, Cliff and all the staff have been spectacular. They have gone above and beyond to make our birthday special. From the balloons in our room upon arrival, to the birthday brownie and song, all has been wonderful at the Angler. The chef prepared us a fantastic breakfast this morning. Each of our dishes (French toast, burrito, pancakes and omelet had the wow factor. What an awesome boutique hotel…2 blocks from beach. I’m still in love with Kimpton Hotels. If you are looking for a bohemian chic in midst of south beach then the Angler is for you.

Room Tip: two level suite is awsome for travel with kids. Everyone has there own space
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Jacqueline P, General Manager at Angler's Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Lcostin
Thanks so much for your great review. We are thrilled to hear that you and your girls had an unforgettable birthday and wonderful stay at our hotel. Our team, especially Alejandra, Clifton and Jessica were so excited to make your stay very special and we thank you for recognizing them. We appreciate your loyalty to Kimpton hotels and looking forward to having you back as our guests.
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Rarely have I ever been disappointed with a Kimpton stay so I was really looking forward to our 4th of July weekend stay at The Anglers and this property totally delivered! It was a truly memorable weekend made special by that unique Kimpton touch.

My partner's sister got there very early and was accommodated by the staff like she was a member of their family. Given that it was her first time traveling alone, we were worried but Kimpton took away all of our concerns. Thanks to Stephanie for the wonderful tips she gave and for treating her nicely as she waited for us. Upon arrival later that day, my partner and I were given complimentary glasses of wine since a flight delay made us miss Kimpton's traditional wine hour from 5-6 pm. The accommodations were magnificent. We were originally given Room 405, which is a 2 level duplex suite and is nothing to complain about. However, I made the mistake of making a reservation for 2 adults instead of 3. Having realized this, the front desk staff (shout out to Nick) was nice enough to proactively move us to an even bigger duplex (Room 406), which I can easily say is the best room at the Anglers. It has 50% more space than the previous room, has lots of windows, 2 terraces facing Washington Avenue (e.g. Wonderful views), and 2 full bathrooms. I especially love the porthole windows as it gives the suite a maritime feel. To put it into perspective, room 406 is at the top 2 levels on that tower on the left hand side of the official picture above. Make every effort to try and book (or sweet talk your way) into that room. The winding stairs lead up to a roof deck but the door was locked. It can easily fit a hot tub so hopefully that will be installed as part of the ongoing renovations.

We also dined once at the restaurant (660) that first night. It's a latin menu and everything we had was great and was made even more pleasant by our server, Clifton, who entertained us and made for wonderful company. They even surprised me with a cake and champagne (and a birthday song with help from a couple other staff members) when he found out that my birthday was coming up. I especially recommend the pandebonos, which is a Colombian cheese bread with guava butter, and the fried chicken tacos.

We spent one day at the beach and were provided with beach towels. The beach bags even had complimentary sunscreen, a nice touch that I have never ever received from other beach properties. The pool area was small but nice to lounge at. They had 3 private villas that I would be interested to stay at but I still think we had a better deal. It was well suited for the families that were staying there and were in a quiet and more private section.

The only thing bad about the whole experience was actually leaving. Although I would be curious to try other Kimpton properties in the Miami area, there's no doubt that this property will be on the top of my list when we return to South Beach. I can't wait to see once it's fully renovated knowing how exceptional it is right now. Thanks to everyone at The Anglers for a wonderful weekend. Hopefully it won't be too long before we return to once more experience your gracious hospitality.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Jacqueline P, General Manager at Angler's Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
CarloDC
Wow-thanks for taking the time and writing such a detailed and amazing review. We are so thrilled to hear about the wonderful stay you had and that our team, especially Stephanie, Clifton and Nic went out of their way to ensure a perfect stay and luscious dining experience at our restaurant 660. We are glad you enjoyed all our extra perks, such as our Angler’s beach bags, packed and ready for your day on the beautiful sandy beach, our morning coffee service and evening wine hour.
Hopefully your travels will bring you back to South Beach soon again. We would love to have you back as our guest.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I was absolutely pleased with my stay at The Anglers. It is worth every penny!!! I arrived at the MIA airport at 10AM. Check in at The Anglers is at 4PM. I did not want to go around Miami with my luggage, so I called the hotel to see if they would hold my suitcase until it was time to check in. Their answer was that I was welcome to go to the hotel at any time, that my room was ready for whenever I decided to go.

When we arrived at the Anglers, the valet clerk hurried to open the taxi's door and greeted us by name!!! We arrived at the front desk and, once again, the attendant was extremely polite. Our luggage was sent to the room while we finished checking in. They gave us a voucher for a free appetizer to be used at any time in the hotel restaurant. We then arrived at the room and it was beautiful. It had a large king size bed, a sitting area with a couch, 2 chairs, a center table and an end table. There was also a large screen flat TV mounted on the wall, a desk with a chair, 2 music pods: one that fits the iPhone5 connection and one for older iPhones or iPods. A wet bar with a mini fridge, several bottles of alcoholic beverages and mixed soft drinks, juices and water bottles; a small microwave and a Keurig coffee maker. Other things offered were bathrobes, umbrella, yoga mat, beach bag, iron and ironing board, safe, blow drier, and all the standard toiletries. They really thought of everything!!!

The entire room and bathroom were spotless, clean, very tastefully decorated. The room was cleaned in the afternoon, and then in the evening someone came in and closed the drapes, turned on the lights, turned on soft music on one of the music pods, and left fresh ice on the wet bar. Sheets, pillow cases and even the blanket cover were changed EVERY SINGLE DAY! as opposed to just doing the bed with the existing linens.

Every single employee that we encountered was absolutely polite and went out of their way to make us feel welcome. For example, maintenance man was cleaning the hallway when we were getting ready to leave and he said, "you should take your umbrella because I think it’s going to rain”. Other person would not have even thought about saying anything. Front desk helped us in getting a city tour by explaining the different options and suggesting which one would fit our desires more. Hey were helpful recommending places to go, beaches to go to, restaurants, bars, clubs, etc.

The food at the hotel was another pleasant surprise. We only had brunch and breakfast, but not only the service was, once again, AMAZING, the food was delicious!!! Modifications were happily acknowledged and the food came out exactly as requested, with great presentation and even better flavor. The day we were checking out we went out to eat breakfast before leaving. By the time we finished breakfast, the taxi was waiting outside, our luggage already loaded and we never even noticed!!! The only thing we had requested was a taxi to pick us up at 1045AM. Everything else was their own planning and it was great!

I could go on and on about this hotel and their staff, and all would be great!!! I recommend them highly!! They will make your stay in South Beach twice as enjoyable than it would otherwise be if you stay somewhere else!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Liliana G
Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting such a comprehensive review. We appreciate your kind words about our friendly, attentive and genuine caring team, our spotless and comfy rooms and our hotel ambience-perfect for some R&R. We are happy you joined our brunch – voted one of the best brunches on South Beach, with Mimosa specials and live entertainment each weekend.
We hope you will be visiting us again. Please return soon.
Media, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

This hotel is in a nice location for South Beach since it is not on Ocean Drive, but in walking distance to the beaches and Lincoln Rd. The service was very good and the room was very big and clean. The lobby was quaint, with food service and a bar. We were disappointed in not being able to use the pool since it was closed for a private event. We were only staying one night and we had really wanted to relax by the pool after check-in and before dinner. Although the staff offered to give us towels for the beach (while we were waiting for our room to be ready) and also offered to pay for a cab ride to a sister hotel with a pool, we still felt that we lost out on an amenity that we had paid for. Overall, though, we would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a sophisticated, clean and convenient South Beach stay.

Room Tip: Some rooms face Washington Ave (somewhat busy and noisy) and some face the pool area. Just be sure...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
BVC58
Thanks for sharing your feedback from your recent visit. We are truly sorry to hear that our pool was not accessible due to the private event which took place the afternoon of your stay. We understand your disappointment and truly apologize. However, we are glad to see that your overall stay was enjoyable and thank you for recommending us to other travelers.
We hope next time you will be visiting Miami you will be selecting our hotel again. We would love to have you back as our guest.
Jacqueline Ploettner, General Manager

Been to Angler's Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!