On our way back from Key West, my wife and I decided to stay a night in Miami Beach. We decided on the Angler's Hotel from reviews here and booked a Manor Villa. Here are the details of our stay / opinions:
I have mixed emotions on the location.. My first reaction to the location was disappointment that it is a few blocks from the beach and towards the far West end of "the strip" - so a walk to and from a dinner on Ocean Blvd turned out to be a hike. However, it was a nice evening and since realizing how crazy South Beach can be in that area, we appreciated the seclusion later.
The Manor Villa is VERY NICE inside. Downstairs is a living area with a full bathroom, bar, sitting area (with pull-out), flat screen tv and high-top dining table. Upstairs is a full size King bed, desk area and full bath. We also had a great porch area with patio table and chairs and a jacuzzi. The only disappointment for us was a seeming lack of privacy for our room. We were the first villa facing Washington Blvd, and if you sit in the jacuzzi, you can see people walk and cars wizzing by. Not sure what I expected here, but it definitely doesn't feel like you are at the beach. The restaurant backed up to our villa room as well, which was loud for brunch until about 4:00 or 5:00, but quieted down at night.
You have to remember that this is a boutique hotel, so there are sometimes odd quirks to the hotel experience. For example.. The Angler's does not have a drive-in area to unload bags, so it is a little awkward pulling off to the side on Washington to valet the car and unload bags directly onto the sidewalk with pedestrians walking by. When walking into the hotel, you walk your bags through the restaurant (full of people no less) in the front to a front desk situated in a hallway. That experience is a little awkward. However, it is made-up for by immaculate conditions, great decorating, an accommodating staff and a boutique hotel feel - which is what I like better than a stodgy tower of 100+ hotel rooms.
One major hiccup we received happened not 20 minutes after we checked in. We received a heavy knock on our front door. Before I could get to the door, I could hear the staff try and pull out their key card to enter our room! After answering, two staff (that could not speak english) were trying to speak with us and pointing inside our room. Finally, one of them walked over to my wife's purse and pointed to it and asked if she could look through it. After objecting, they decided to just look through the couch and pull-out bed, only to not find what they came to look for. Bewildered, we called the front desk to tell them we had maids enter - to the response of "and what is your question?" Apparently someone left their iphone in the room previously and they wanted to see if it was left in the room. Advice to the hotel - send someone to the room that can speak english and we would be happy to help you look for the lost phone. After possibly seeing that it was not appropriate, and to their credit, they did send champagne to our room after dinner - at no cost.
In all, it was a very nice hotel with a wonderfully accommodating staff, for a price that is difficult to beat (for what you get) in Miami Beach. I am being picky with the review, but we did find it to be a different experience than what we were expecting. We would come back again, but may try a hotel on the beach next time.
- Also Known As:
- The Angler`s Boutique Hotel
- The Angler`s Boutique Hotel Miami Beach
- The Anglers Boutique Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled deep just off Washington Avenue one would not expect to find a unique collection of accommodations and lushly landscaped atmosphere that promises to instill a sense of relaxation the moment you enter. Privacy by design, on rooftop terraces, private gardens and private Jacuzzis. The pool is a perfect retreat to bask in by sun or moon. Unlike most hotels, at The Angler's you will instantly feel as though you are in a friends home, with furnishings, fixtures and services that meet even the most discriminating traveler. Stay a night, a week or longer. This is your new home away from home. Four legged friends are welcome too. Choose your suite for the perfect retreat for family, friends, honeymoon, girlfriend's getaway, business trip, long holiday, special occasion or just a break from the ordinary. This is a charming and lovely taste of the tropics, as never before seen in South Beach. With a subtle mix of international flavor and style clientele from all parts of the globe, all will convene and feel welcome. At once the hotel is discreet while managing to be the center of the attention all at the same time. Energies flow amongst tower suites, garden lounge, and intimate communal pool where relaxing or growing your circle of friends is the order of the day. With a unique approach melding fine island living with historic charm and elegance, we invite you to come be a part of The Angler's. Step into an era of simple yet stylish beauty and sophistication. Spacious Studios and Duplex Suites offer a new level of hospitality that you are sure to enjoy. Set in the heart of the historic art deco district, travelers are invited to take their place in public or in private. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Splendia, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com, Travelocity, Tablet Hotels, Priceline, Venere, Otel, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your Angler's Miami South Beach, a Kimpton Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.