“The James Hotel is really a hostel, but well located” 2 of 5 stars

James Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1680 James Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Ranked #137 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
London
“The James Hotel is really a hostel, but well located”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2007

We stayed at the James Hotel in May 2007 because it seemed to offer very good rates compared to the rest of South Beach. In reality though it is more of a 'hostel' than 'hotel' and for a hostel it's quite expensive. The James is in a really good location - near the sea and a short walk from the hub of South Beach, however, there were aspects to it that some people may find unacceptable. For example fixtures and fittings were basic and very tatty, light bulbs that had blown had not been replaced, the floor and some surfaces were unclean (the floor was so sticky I would only walk on it in flip flops!) and unprofessional staff. Despite this though, essentials at the James Hotel were covered: bed linen was clean and beds comfortable, as was the bathroom and the shower was powerful. We also had a TV and fridge in our room which was useful. My conclusion is that if you want a practical hotel to just lay your head then the James is one to consider; but just bear in mind that its standards are not high and I would certainly not recommend it for people who intend to spend evenings in their room or who need it for business purposes.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Quality
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2007

Stayed there Feb 2007 for a business convention. I chose it because of the close location to the convention center, and the positive ratings on yahoo. There were no reviews on Tripadvisor at the time. The positive ratings of this old dumpy hotel on Yahoo travel must have been written by the owners.

This was the worst hotel room I have ever stayed in, and I have traveled in many third world countries. I was afraid for my bare feet to touch the floor, I was afraid to even look for bed bugs for what i might find. Make no mistake, this is one of those old run down South beach miami hotel/apartment buildings. Some are quaint, some are pretty run down. Room-wise this one is more on the run down side. The lobby looked clean enough, but my room was filthy. Old wrappers/trash under the bed, dustbunny hairballs in the corners, chairs so dirty looking that I was afraid to touch them with my skin or my clothes.

SoBeach hotels seem to have quadrupeled in the past two years, and this dump was asking for over $200 per night. I felt like I was living in a miami crack house/tennement.

I could go on an on, but you get the picture. On the upside, the location was close-in. The only reason that I did not move was because everything nearby was sold out, and I did not have a rental car. Otherwise I would have stayed farther out for less money and a clean bed.

Stayed February 2007

Been to James Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about James Hotel

Address: 1680 James Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139
Location: United States > Florida > Miami Beach > City Center
Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi )
Ranked #137 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Hotel Class:2 star — James Hotel 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your James Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
James Hotel Miami Beach

If you own or manage James Hotel, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.