“tropical surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 19 Miami Beach B&B and Inns
Columbia, South Carolina
“tropical surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

Decided to come to this charming B&B because of a Groupon coupon. Even without the "deal", I would recommend the place highly. When I first walked through the gate (I arrived after dark), the lighting and the tropical setting were magic. The courtyard with the pool was a reasonable size for a private home, which this was in a previous incarnation. There are spotless rooms in the house and more in a building behind the courtyard. Each room has an individual A/C unit, which actually acts as "white noise". Even though I'm a light sleeper, no noise from the courtyard bothered me, and I was able to sleep very well.

Nothing is "fancy", but all evokes the simplicity of a beach vacation. The lapping waves are only a short walk away, and there are excellent food stores nearby (the Epicure and Whole Foods) to purchase snacks or entire gourmet picnics. The fridge in each unit is very helpful for any leftovers you may have.

The reception area is closed in the evenings, but all needs for check in and local information were contained in an envelope that had been placed in the mailbox near the side door. The only thing I missed was having some help with my luggage, but I was coming back from a cruise in Europe, and had several suitcases with a bunch of cold weather clothes as well as Beach outfits.

Breakfast was fine, with fresh fruit, an egg dish, cereal, and excellent coffee. There was no choice on the main dish, but I expect that they would make modifications if requested. The staff went out of their way to be helpful.

The parking situation in South Beach can be an expensive nightmare, but there is adequate street parking in front of the B&B (they supply a parking permit). A few spaces were also available in the driveway.

All in all, throughly enjoyed my time at SoBe You. Only regret that it was not longer!!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

341 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Turkish first
ipswich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

My spouse and I spent a night at SoBeYou in November...our second time at this lovely B&B. Although the rooms are tight and the bathrooms even tighter (definitely not for those who need a lot of space), it was perfect for us. The room was clean, the bed extremely comfortable, and the location perfect. It is located on a tree lined street, with a large park at the end, in a very nice residential neighborhood. It's within easy walking distance to all the action, yet far enough away to get a peaceful sleep. If you have a car and are not lucky enough to get one of the limited parking permits, the parking lot is just a short walk from the B&B. The first time we visited we had an egg omelet that was quite tasty...this time around we had some sort of baked egg & cheese type dish that was not as delightful...but the coffee was good and plentiful. When making the reservation, Lena was very helpful and pleasant. When we arrived at the B&B, we were warmly greeted by Yasmina who offered us some suggestions for dinner and areas we should see since we were there for only one night. She told us that we could walk from the B&B to Espanola Way and from there to Lincoln Mall Road. We loved both areas! We had a reasonably priced dinner at Balans, an international restaurant, on Lincoln Mall Road and enjoyed our meals very much. It's a very lively area and a must see!! It's not a typical mall. It's an outdoor pedestrian mall that offers many al fresco dining options and numerous shops. For dessert, we headed back to Espanola Way, an historic Spanish village tucked away in the Art Deco District of South Beach...which has a real bohemian feel. Very quaint with a number of al fresco dining options and smaller unique boutique type shops. We had a couple of drinks and Tiramisu at Kone Restaurant Seafood & Grill that was out of this world. BEWARE: We were only two people and they had included a 20% tip that I did not notice until I returned to Boston. I had tipped an additional 20% on the total. Shame on me...but don't let it be shame on you! I can at least be thankful that it was only dessert and a couple of drinks!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Wellington, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

My wife and I decide to take a weekend trip to South Beach in Miami ... and this little bed and breakfast was highly recommended by other Trip Advisor readers. Great location in a quiet neighborhood ... but within walking distance to plenty of night spots and the beach. New Whole Foods is just around the corner for a quick bite to eat and for snacks / food in your room. Breakfast was good (simple) and they gave us plenty to eat. Our room was clean. The bath (room #7) was small (shower stall only) and the water temperature was finicky ... and the trash truck at 7:30am was rather loud ... but these were minor annoyances. There is a little courtyard with a swimming pool - a pleasant little oasis. Staff was super friendly and attentive.

Room Tip: Some rooms are definitely not handicap accessible ... need to ask for a room on the first floor if m...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

SoBeYou was my first experience at a B & B and it was great. The location was excellent... only 4 or so blocks from the excitement of Collins and Ocean Avenues, yet tropical, quiet and relaxing. The property was very well-maintained and the room was clean and had everything necessary. The small fridge was great for leftovers or for snacks (and wine!) and the Brita pitcher was a nice, eco-friendly touch. Breaksfast was good and the coffee strong. The staff was very friendly but not obtrusive; at times, I felt like the only person there in spite of having a full house.

I parked my car (they will provide a parking permit) and never used it during the weekend. Bicycle is the best way to get around and even the busier streets were pretty bike-friendly. If you do not bring your own bike, there are bike stations all over the place where, for an hour or a day, you can pick up and drop off a beach cruiser bike, and not have to worry about locking it, etc. Just dock it when you need to and pick up another when ready to ride again.

Lincoln Road pedestrian mall is not to be missed and is only a few block from SoBeYou. If you are going out at night, it is an inexpensive cab ride to anywhere on South Beach (unless it is late and the roads are jammed, which is part of the fun) and cabs seem readily available.

Everything about SoBeYou was above expectations and I will return again for another great get-away this summer.

Room Tip: There are just 10 rooms. Call ahead and they should be able to help to determine which one best suit...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011 via mobile

Fantastic location, even better service. Just 6 blocks to the beach.

• Stayed November 2011
Orlando, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed 2 nights and 3 days. It was so nice to be right in the middle of everything. We both loved that we were able to walk everywhere. As far as the actual B&B. It was wonderful very clean, the staff was so nice, our bed was super comfy, the only thing I would say bothered me were mosquitoes but that's everywhere. I most def. would come back!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Litchfield, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

We stayed here on a return trip NCL trip from Miami to the Bahamas. We took a cab from the pier. I booked SoBe You based on it's #1 rating from Tripadvisor. We arrived early and our room wasn't ready. We dropped off our luggage and we were given a map where we trekked to Lincoln Road for breakfast. The recommendation was very good, I enjoyed my breakfast very much. We arrived back to SoBe You for our room assignment (#2, bottom floor behind the pool). Spacious room with a very comfortable bed and nice linens. The bathroom reminded me of the bathrooms at the Gramercy Park Hotel in NYC. Loved the vibe! The Staff was always busy but accessible when needed. THE BREAKFAST WAS REALLY GREAT! Go take a seat and voila! Hot waffles with fresh fruit, orange juice and hot coffee appear almost magically in front of me. And it was delicious!! The only reason I am giving it a rating of 4 is I feel as though the location is a bit far for walking to attractions. Perfect if you call a cab or have a rental car.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sobe You Tropical Bed & Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!