“Anothe Great Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #87 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Hollywood, Florida
“Anothe Great Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

My family and I decided to stay here again during the SOBE Wine and Food Festival. Once again, I must say that our stay was nothing less than spectacular. We decided to book the Palm Suite that weekend and we were pleasantly surprised at how nice, clean and spacious this room was. Remember this isn't a 5 star hotel. But, Kevin with the tattoos, Kevin # 2 and Rosie, will give you the 5 star treatment. I was a bit frustrated when I arrived because of the parking situation. I knew that because of the WFF there would be parking issues but assumed that because I had a room, I would have my car valeted like I did the last time I stayed here. kevin with the tattoos, informed me that the wait for a valet to come park my car would be close to an hour due to traffic. I drove down in the traffic so I knew how bad it was. after I found parking, I was greeted by kevin with the tats in the front office. This guy has EXCELLENT customer service skills. He checked us in and as usual was very polite and apologized about the parking situation and suggested some garages that were available. I read some reviews that stated the noise level from the streets will keep you awake if you stay in the Palm Suite. This is true, but you're on south beach, the city that never sleeps and we were down there to party and have a great time. Overall, our stay was a pleasurable one. Upon checking out, Rosie, who I hadn't seen in months greeted us with a HUGE smile and said, "Hey, I remember you." She is a doll and very friendly. You won't find a more accommodating staff on south beach. I even found myself dancing in the lobby with one of the cleaning ladies who do a damn good job cleaning this hotel. I wore white socks on the tiled floor in my room and there were no black smudges on the bottom of my socks. I had such a great time at this hotel, I actually booked a room here for my birthday in 3 weeks. Keep up the "Excellent" work you do Kevin with the tattoos, Rosie with the great smile and the other Kevin with the great personality!

Room Tip: The Palm suite is beautiful. It overlooks Collins Avenue with windows that open.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Eddie N, Manager at Suites on South Beach Miami, responded to this review, December 20, 2014
Thank you Coach S for the awesome review! The best compliment we can ever get is about our staff and the amazing job that they do, it's always pleasant to read how well they treat our clients! I'm very happy that you chose to come back to stay with us for a third time, if you ever plan to come back please contact Eddie at sales@thekenthotel.com - let him know you are a repeat client and I am positive he will give you the absolute best rate we can offer you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Polish first
Avon, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

We stayed here two nights. It is one block from the beach and therefore we miss most of the noise. We checked in after 4 p.m. and used the public garage across the street. We walked everywhere and did not have to take the car out of the garage. Kevin at the front desk was most helpful with recommending places to eat. We went to Havana 1957. They were booked for the evening but we ended up eating at the bar. Great place! If you can't get in, there are plenty of restaurants next door on Espanola Way. Look for the white lights strung across the street. It is about a10 minute walk from the hotel at the most.

Room Tip: I had a room on the main floor. There is a step up in order to get into the room. The room had a m...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest thank you for the positive words - we are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and we hope that you choose us in the future should you come back to visit Miami Beach!
Scottsdale, AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

I have held off writing this review to allow sufficient time for the trauma to wear off.
So here goes. I travel the world and have probably never stayed at a worse hotel. The lobby is strange and uninviting. When we checked in, even though we had paid in advance, they wanted an extra $60 in case we broke or stole anything. I was shocked. I asked if that was normal and he said that guests have stolen everything out of the room in the past so they have to do this. But after our stay, he would do a detailed inspection and refund our 60 bucks if everything was still there. I was wondering what type of guests use this hotels? Oh well. And he did not offer to help us with our luggage so we dragged it ourselves.
You needed to get through a gate with a keypad just to enter the area where the rooms are kept.The keypad was not illuminated. We navigated to our room at the rear. Once inside, it was barren and cold, even for Miami in January. We immediately switched on the heater, only to find out there was none. It was an air conditioner and not a heater. The temperature outside was 50 and inside, just at cold. The door had a large window pane and so it was cold to the touch. The two other large windows had no curtains so the cool outside air easily got in. There was a smallish queen bed and basic closet. We had paid for a king bed. Nothing else but a wall-mounted flat screen TV and no dresser of any kind. Next. there was a small kitchen with large refrigeration and microwave. Finally came the huge bathroom, consisting of a tiny sink, toilet and shower area. I say "area' because there was no curtain or tub. I guess you showered and the water sprayed anywhere it wanted. It was totally tiled with a central drain so I imagine a whole family could shower at the same time. Or you could wash your car-yes, it's that big. But there was nowhere to plug in a shaver or place any personal care products. Not a single shelf in the bathroom with no mirror and no waste paper basket. The toilet paper was extra thin. This was a real budget bathroom with no money spent on anything. Obviously, we did NOT take showers. It was way too cold.
Now, back to the bed. It was a queen and very basic. It also creaked so badly that the slightest movement in any direction caused a large noise. I would be sleeping on it with my wife and that was going to cause a problem if either of us shifted or turned, even a little bit. I said it was cold inside and the blanket was pathetically thin and barely covered the bed. There was no spread. We were afraid we would be sleeping in our clothes. I called the front desk and there was no answer at 9PM. So I walked to the to the lobby and asked the desk clerk for extra blankets. He told me that I was only allowed one per room. I said we were freezing and he reluctantly gave us 2 extra sheets. Extra sheets, Really? I returned with the sheets through the non-illuminated keypad locked gate and heard a party in the courtyard. I assume it's normal to get drunk and carry on outside the rooms. Thankfully, by 11, the loud people stopped. But a police car with sirens parked behind our room and the flashing lights could easily illuminated the room through the windows that only contained wooden venetian blinds. Needless to say, the noisy bed, lighting outside, and the cold room kept us up all night. They said that it was 40 that night and not much warmer inside. When we left to go find breakfast because there are no restaurants anywhere near the property, I closed the door and realized it would not lock. After many tries, I realized that I had to swipe the card a few times after closing the door, to lock it. It might have been helpful if the desk clerk had told us that when we checked in. Instead, it was all about why we should not steal anything. We checked out got a cab just down the street. At $200 for the night, this was a total rip-off. If we had been driving, sleeping in the car overnight would have been an improvement.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, I'm very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at the property, I do want to comment on some of your remarks as they are not completely accurate. From reading your review I am positive that you occupied Room #10, which has a handicap accessible bathroom, this is the reason why the bathroom was so large, and the reason why no curtain is found, the bathroom is setup so that a disabled guest can roll into the shower with a wheelchair, hence the reason for extra space being needed. With regards to our request for a $60 hold on your card, this is correct and its a part of standard policy - as a fellow traveler myself, I have never stayed at any hotel in the United States that does not ask for a credit card as a security deposit. This is not only for instances where a guest might remove something from a room, but it also covers damages, and incidentals, like phone calls, Valet parking etc. etc. Lastly, with regards to the rooms not having heaters, this is also correct, since we are in Florida it is extremely rare to have days when a heater would be needed in a home, but since we are aware that sometimes this might occur we actually do carry portable heaters at the property which we lend to our guests should the be too cold, we also carry many additional blankets to give out should guests request it - I would like to know whom it was that you spoke to with regards to your requests since a lot of your claims counter what we expect from our staff. In conclusion I would like to also add that the hotel has replaced all of the mattresses on the property due to complaints about the beds and the noises they might make.
Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

We stayed here one night and choose this place because it was a good price and the location was great. I liked the area very much and the fact that it takes like 4 minutes to walk to the beach and Ocean Drive from here.

On the downside, the room was smaller then expected. 650 sqft, our room was like 400. It was loud from the traffic and the other guests.

Parking was great, 20 dollars per night in a secure garage on the other side of the street.

Room Tip: Try to get a quiet room in the back and not close to the street/lobby
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Johan, thank you for the review. I wanted to inform you that when we make a statement about the sq. footage in our units it includes the space in the kitchen area, the walk in closet and the bathroom, together between all of these areas the square footage of our rooms is indeed 650 sq. ft.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

Great location, close to everything. No breakfast served, but there are so many places to eat, diners, deli's, convenience stores and small kiosk with food, all nearby.
Rooms are very large, clean, big fridge, comfortable beds. Very good price performance, don't expect a 5 star place, if you want that go elsewhere and pay 5 times more. No parking, but they provide valet parking with unlimited in and out for 24 dollar/day, and there is a public parking right opposite. Will definitely stay here again on my next trip to south beach.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Hi Marc, thank you for the great review! Please note, that even though we do not have a restaurant there are several nearby eateries that will deliver breakfast to your room, specifically the FL Café which is located literally steps away from the hotel on the corner of 14th and Collins avenue!
Thornhill, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Two main advantages in this hotel : First of all its location, the other one- its average (even low) price comparing to the other nearby hotels.
The disadvantages- no parking, you'll have to find one by yourself and pay a lot. And another thing- Breakfast is not being served.
All in all our room was clean and nice. Bathroom a bit small but the overall size of the suit definitely compensates for it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hello Einat, thank you for the kind words - I wanted to reply to your two concerns - firstly regarding parking - the hotel does not have its own parking lot, but we do contract a local company to provide Valet Parking services for our clients, the cost of that service is $22.00 per day - unfortunately in South Beach there are too many cars and not enough parking - free parking is almost unheard of in South Beach. Since our property is a small 2 floor hotel we do not have a restaurant on site - we do get special deals from the FL Café for our guests, the café is located on the corner of the same block that the hotel is located on - and you can even place an order and they will deliver it to your room!
Daegu, South Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We were excited to stay on South Beach and experience the area. When we were checking in we were told that the area is "really boring". Not a nice way to be introduced to the South Beach area for the first time. BTW: we later discovered that it is not, and there is a lot to do in the area.

The rooms were big and spacious, perhaps too big as we did not need two beds in our room. The kitchenette was well designed and kitted out and other provisions included an ironing board and iron, safe, TV and DVD player.

One of the great things about Suites on South Beach is their package storage facility. We were visiting from Europe and had some items shipped there and held before we arrived, which we collected at check-in.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Barry, I'm very sorry if our reception gave you the wrong idea about South Beach - boring is definitely not the proper way to describe the area, specifically since the city is considered the top place for night life in South Florida, not to mention our beautiful beaches and award winning dining! I can only assume that whomever made that claim must be a local who is tired of the South Beach scene, but for people whom have never been here I cannot fathom how they would consider South Beach boring! Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay regardless, hope you visit us again in the future!

Been to Suites on South Beach Miami? Share your experiences!