“It is what it is (really 2.5 stars, if I had a choice)” 3 of 5 stars

Suites on South Beach Miami
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1330 Collins Ave., Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #97 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Falmouth, Massachusetts
“It is what it is (really 2.5 stars, if I had a choice)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed in early March 2013 and booked quite late in the game. As a result, there were very few choices available in South Beach that even approached the "reasonably priced" category. This place got good reviews on Trip Advisor so we gave it a try. Unfortunately, we found it less than satisfactory (see below as to why) and decided to check out after one night. The good news is that 1. they did not give us a hard time about checking out early; 2. while the rooms are quite tired and cheaply decorated, they seem relatively clean (having said that, I found a sales receipt for a thong purchased at Victoria's Secret that was dated more than two months prior under the couch, which leads me to question how thorough they clean); 3. it is a decent location; and 4 relatively speaking (for SB), it is reasonably priced. In terms of bad news, I would simply adopt the two prior 2 star ratings and add: 1. it is very cavelike and dark in the rooms during the day and the artificial lighting is grossly inferior fro the conditions (i.e., nearly impossible to read), but inexplicably it is quite bright during the nighttime (when you WANT the darkness to sleep) due to a weird green light shining into the room through the insufficient blinds; 3 adding to our difficulty sleeping were early morning revelers returning to their rooms speaking loudly and obviously very drunk and a very loud refrigerator in the room (unit 6, I believe) that was constantly going on and off; 4. as noted by others, ironically, directly next to the "No Smoking" -and $250 penalty sign for doing so- in the room, there was an ashtray and matches! "WTF?," as they say. Well, even if the other guests do not smoke in their rooms, many of them are right outside smoking, the smell of which assaults you every time you walk outside, as you must walk by them to get to the street; and 5. the walls are very thin so if your next door neighbor is watching TV (or whatever....) you are likely to hear it. Bottom line, if you are young and visiting SB to party and looking for someplace reasonably priced to pass out, this is not a bad choice. If you are- dare I say it, middle aged/a more "mature" couple- looking for a reasonably priced place, ultimately I would NOT recommend this motel to you. I do not mean to slam this place, it is just that "it is what it is" and I did not feel that the reviews that I read on Trip Advisor prior to booking really gave a clear idea of what it is.

Room Tip: I cannot recommend any rooms, but definitely avoid unit #6 because of the loud refrigerator. Also, t...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
zero11382, General Manager at Suites on South Beach Miami, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for your review, it saddens me that you did not enjoy your stay, March is a very "hectic" month in South Beach as the crowd is much younger and "hip" than what you would typically get in Miami Beach so I can sympathize with some of the points in your review...I would like the opportunity to correct the experience you encountered at the hotel, and I urge you to contact me (sales@thekenthotel.com) at your earliest convenience so that I may have the opportunity to do just that

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Manchester, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My wife and I spent two days at the Suites in late February. The location is ideal, one block from the beach in the heart of the Art Deco district. The room was spacious, and clean but dated. There was a large room for storage and a very adequate kitchenette. The bathroom was a disaster. The door wouldn't close, the sink drained slowly, and there was mould and grime everywhere. The whole room gave you a creepy, dirty feeling. We told the front desk about the problems and they promised to fix the sink the next day. They never did. In our interactions with the front desk, from check in to check out, ranged from indifference to curtness.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Peter, I am for a loss of words reading your review, our staff typically gets high marks from most reviewers on Tripadvisor and the hotel cleanliness is rarely something that disappoints...I would like the opportunity to speak to you personally about your stay in detail and would urge you to contact me at your earliest convenience (305-604-5068 Ext. 3001 or sales@thekenthotel.com)
Dallas, Tx
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is a fairly low end hotel, with a high price. The location is convenient, but it has serious issues with regard to its upkeep, noise level and security. Unfortunately most of these issues cannot be corrected with discounted rate or a quick coat of paint. There are many better hotels in the same area that are much better taken care of.

It is supposedly no smoking, but our room had a strong cigarette smoke smell. It also had an ashtray and boxes of matches in the room. The bathrooms are moldy and in need of a complete makeover. The beds are uncomfortable and have very thin mattresses on them. The tile floors are so worn, they look dirty.

The hotel is right on Collins and has paper thin walls, so it is very noisy from the street and from other guest. It also seems to cater to a party crowd, which exacerbates the noise problem. The green lights you see on the hotel photos are from flood lights with a green filter on them. They stay on all night and fill your room with a strange green glow. The rooms only have blinds, so you cannot fully block out the light.

The room doors open to the outside(think Motel 6), granted there is a gate to "protect" you from passers by on Collins. However, the gate tends to be left open most of the time. Access to the rooms is through this gate, not through the lobby. The room doors are flimsy and each room has a large window next to the door, so hear every noise from outside.

This hotel is best suited for a single night stay if you get a great rate or you are a group of spring breakers. But for most other travelers there are several other hotels in the area without all the issues.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, I respectfully disagree with a good portion of your review...the hotel has both smoking and non-smoking rooms, I would assume to say that you stayed in a smoking room...we do not "cater" to a specific crowd, we provide clean and affordable (by South Beach standards) lodging for everyone not just a subset of the populace, seeing as you stayed at the property during the month of March it is too late to advise you that Spring Break is in full effect at this time, and that the Winter Music Conference and Ultra Music Festival also take place in March so the majority of Miami Beach is crowded by college aged kids and guests looking to enjoy the festivities...I am sorry that we did not meet your standards!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I just stayed at the Suites on South Beach March 8th-11th, 2013 and I did not want to leave. I really did not know what to expect because the hotel is somewhat hidden off the street but registration was kind and held my bags until a room was ready and when I returned I was placed in room #11 and I felt like I was home away from home. The interior décor was very trendy and up-to-date, spacious rooms, very clean living arrangements, and good view of the front streets of Collins ave. The location was great access to the beach, restaurants, and shops. Having the front desk and security gate to enter made you feel really safe. They provided me with a beach towel and when it was time to leave they watched my bags until the shuttle arrived. I have never really been so impressed with a weekend living space like Suites on South Beach. I am solely sold on Suites on South Beach and will only stay there for all my future visits in Miami. I will also tell everybody I know about it. Thanks for incredible stay

Room Tip: Room #11 is the bigger suite
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Geminifun, thank you so much for the review, we very ecstatic to hear that our property will be your choice whenever your travels lead you back to Miami Beach, we look forward to welcoming you once again!!
Manchester, New Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

February 2013: Spent two nights there prior to leaving on a cruise. Requested a non-smoking 2-bed room. Found it hard to believe that in the room between the beds is an ash tray and wooden matches! And a sign about a cleaning charge for smoking in the room.

Large room, fairly clean. Large area for hanging clothes and storing suitcases, but lacking drawer space. Kitchenette was fine. Some noise from second floor guests running relays in the hall. I guess some have balconies and you can hear drunk people repeating themselves over and over making inane points to their equally drunk friends….but that was only in the bathroom….and you're NOT spending much time there.

Bathroom was gross! Faucet broken and dripping, sink drained REALLY slow, grout (or whatever) around toilet base was disgusting, tub needed recaulking badly and there was mold and gross and degraded caulk all over the window area inside the tub. Sticky floor. No exhaust fan. Moldy window doesn't open. Door wouldn't close. Toilet paper holder doesn't hold the paper on…so it hits the floor. Cover your feet at all times and don't linger in here!

Office Staff: rude, indifferent. We reported the sink drain and broken faucet to the office. They said they'd send maintenance, but it was never touched. We also couldn't work the TV with the remote provided (looked like the wrong one!) and reported that. Nothing done. They threaten to charge you for anything broken…and I wasn't planning to pay.

Cleaning Staff: They did what they could and made up everything well. They are not the problem.

Location: Perfect. Easy to get anywhere in South Beach. We had no car and had no problem walking to everything we wanted to see and do. Beach is just a short block away.

With some easy (and not cost prohibitive) rehab work this property would be a gem in South Beach. Until then…beware.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
zero11382, Director of Sales at Suites on South Beach Miami, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Emma, please accept our sincerest apologies about the experience you encountered at our property...the month of March is a tough one for us due to the large number of spring breakers and college aged kids in South Beach, we all understand people are here to have fun but a lot of the time not enough consideration is paid to other guest such as yourself who are here for rest and relaxation..the standard in which you describe the bathroom is not what we expect nor is it condoned, I would urge you to contact me at your earliest convenience (sales@thekenthotel.com), I would like to get some more details of your stay so we can work to make sure issues of this nature do not happen again
Miami Beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Large rooms, all equipment available
Location close to Miami Beach
Friendly personnel

Rooms need to be updated/ refurnished
Drunk guy knocked on several doors at 04:00 a.m.
Very thin walls between rooms.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

zero11382, General Manager at Suites on South Beach Miami, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Frans, thank you for the review, outdated is not something we typically receive as feedback but we value your opinion, feel free to contact me at sales@thekenthotel.com should you want to dwell into more detailed suggestions
Naples, Fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I've stayed in at least 10 different hotels on South Beach ranging from The Clay to The Ritz and The Suites is by far the best value I've seen. The rooms are large and clean and the location can't be beat. I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest thank you for the great review, it is nice to know that you find our property more enjoyable than some of the bigger hotel chains which have huge resources and not part of our competitive set!

Been to Suites on South Beach Miami? Share your experiences!