“Perfect price and location” 5 of 5 stars

Suites on South Beach Miami
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1330 Collins Ave., Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #80 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Los Angeles, California
“Perfect price and location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

This review is late since we stayed here in March 2011, but I cannot imagine it has changed too much. The price was reasonable, given the time we stayed there (WMC week), and the hotel was pretty awesome. Located in the heart of south beach on Collins, the beach is literally only 1-2 blocks away. If you go a block down to Ocean Blvd, there's a huge row of bars, restaurants, seafood places, etc etc etc, you can't go wrong. The rooms themselves are pretty basic but pretty. Kitchenette included, so you have a fridge to store stuff. Air conditioning worked amazing. The only hitch we had was a small power outage :( Oh, and no swimming pool :((( Otherwise, awesome!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
zero11382, General Manager at Suites on South Beach Miami, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear Abigail, thank you for the wonderful review, we hope that you come stay with us next year during WMC again, it seems to only get better every year!

297 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Oslo, Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Spent 4 nights here with my girlfriend in mid-June 2012. This isn't a hotel. You don't have any bars, restaurants, room service etc. It's a little apartment, or suite (as the name suggests) with a living room with a bed, a telly, a couch, a table with two chairs and a rocking chair, a kitchen with all you need, a bathroom and a huge unnecessary room containing a small safe, an iron with an iron board and a lot of unused space.

The staff is helpful and the house keeping is good (you're bed is made and you get clean towels every day). The best thing is however the location. It's located on South Beach along Collins Ave. - two blocks from the beach and a few blocks from the main street "Lincoln Road".

If we should point out any Cons:
- The air condition makes a lot of noice
- There might be some noice from Collins Ave. (but you wont notice it because of the air condition)
- The cutlery is not cleaned by the housemaid, but by the previous guests. You may pay the housemaid $15 to do it for you, but it is nevertheless cleaned in the sink with "hot water" - not in a dishwasher.

Anyway, we enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay here on our next trip to Miami Beach.
You get more than you pay for

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you Fredrik for the wonderful review, we are not your typical hotel for many of the reasons you mentioned, yet we feel this is exactly what makes the property so charming, it's like renting your own apartment in the heart of South Beach for a few days, we are glad to hear you would stay with us again and look forward to your next visit!
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We went here for a 3 night stay (honeymoon) and it was everything we wanted and more. Rooms were lovely and clean, perfect location only one block from the gorgeous beach and had plenty of shops, bars and restaurants nearby.

The biggest thing I found about this hotel was that the staff were all so lovely and helpful. We also booked a bus and boat tour through the hotel and it was the best thing we did as we got to see every where in such a short amount of time.

When we go back to Miami we will stay here again!!

Room Tip: ask for a room on the 2nd floor and book the boat and bus trip with the hotel!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Suites on South Beach Miami, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
Dear Guests, we are glad to hear that we could help make your honeymoon a memorable experience, thank you for the great review, we are honored to be your first choice in Miami Beach!
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

We chose this hotel because it was moderately priced. We paid $103 a night. The room was HUGE. It was just remodeled and clean. It had a kitchenette a sofa and a large closet for your suitcases etc. The valet was really slow here, but they are a separate company so it does not change my rating, but it is a warning. The rooms are also outside, which for us was no big deal, but for others it may cause concern.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the positive review, I will forward this review to the Valet Parking service so they are aware of our guests comments and we will urge them to be quicker with the delivery of our clients vehicles.
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

The hotel rooms look rather dated with wood chip & emulsion on the walls, rather worried about some bugs that were running about in the bathroom, cleanliness leaves a bit to be desired in my view. Location is great & we didnt experience any real noise problems other than the air con which is really noisy

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Colin, we are dissapointed to hear you did not like your experience at our property, one of our biggest priorities is the cleanliness of our property, if you would take the time to contact me personnaly at sales@thekenthotel.com I would like to inquire about which room you stayed in and speak to you about your stay in general.
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

There are two pluses. The location is great, and the rooms are modern. That's where it ends.

The background: Myself and four friends planned to stay at this property over the weekend; we traveled from Boston to celebrate my bachelorette party. I paid $500 back in January to book two rooms, with two double beds each, for Friday and Saturday night. I used a third party vendor, such as Expedia or Travelocity, to book the reservation. The reservation printout CLEARLY says "Junior suite, 2 double beds, 2 adults per room". We planned on the 5th girl just sleeping in one of the double beds with the other girl. We figured this wouldn't be an issue, as it was learned while doing research on trip adviser prior to booking that the maximum per room is 4 adults. The reservation online, as well as the pictures and room descriptions that are hanging on the wall at the office of the hotel, both indicated that there would be kitchenettes in the suites with refrigerators, etc. There weren't.

The beginning: I called from the airport after landing to ask if we could check in early, as we anticipated arriving at the hotel around 1:30-2:00, and check-in is at 4:00. I was told by an employee that no guarantees could be made, but that she'd note the file and see what could be done. I called again about an hour later while on our way to find out if we could check-in early and was transferred to a booking manager, who told me that no, we could not check in early, that check-in time is at 4:00, and that there were "people ahead of" me. I'm still not sure what that means. Check-out is at 11:00 and check-in is at 4:00. So apparently 5 hours is not enough time to prepare two rooms for people that were arriving before 4:00. So we stowed our bags in the back room of the office, not a big deal. Not the best taste in my mouth.

The middle: While trying to kill time until 4:00, we walked down to the strip and got some food and drinks. We came back after 4:00 and were given room keys. We opened up the rooms and discovered that each had one double bed and no kitchenette. I promptly walked back into the office and addressed my concerns with the three employees that were sitting there. I showed them my reservation printout and made it known that I had booked two rooms, both of which had TWO DOUBLE BEDS, and that each room had TWO ADULTS listed. A female employee then told me, in a voice that sounded quite rehearsed, that there's nothing that can be done, the hotel is all booked, and we're going to have to make due with these rooms. She then proceeded to take her pen and underline on the printout, a line that says "Availability of accommodations for extra guests is not guaranteed." After explaining to her that this is a moot point, because I don't HAVE any extra guests that would impact the two rooms with TWO BEDS that were booked back in January (again, the 5th person planned to double up in one of the beds), she told me quite matter-of-factly that I'd have to take this up with the third party company that I booked the reservation through, and that it's not the hotel's problem. She then handed me the office phone and with that, handed off all responsibility.

At this point, I'm beyond pissed. While in the midst of trying to figure out who else I can talk to, a male employee who was sitting there told me that "this happens all the time" and that the third party company is responsible, they book rooms in the hotel that aren't available. After more hemming and hawing by the hotel employees, I finally was able to get the general manager "Eddie" on the phone, and explained my plight. Eddie's reaction? Complete lack of sympathy, accountability, or concern. Basically, blame it on the third party company, we can't do anything for you. Did a curse word or two come out of my mouth? Yup, you better believe it did. Eddie then decided that he felt I was "going on a tirade" and his tone turned condescending. I explained to him that I've worked in customer service for years now, and I know that the hotel must have some sort of contract with this third party company, obviously. Eddie agreed that they did, and also voiced that this particular vendor books rooms in the hotel for customers that aren't available quite often. So my next question was, WHY KEEP DOING BUSINESS WITH THIS VENDOR? And guess what Eddie and staff, THEIR customers are YOUR customers, so how can you evade responsibility and let this happen? Even worse, how can you not make any sort of moves to alleviate the situation?

At this point, I was in tears. I felt like I was being backed into a corner and I was the one in the wrong. I asked Eddie if he would do a three way call with me and call the third party company to see if anything could be done, and I was shot down. Nope. So then I resorted to trying to think of different ways out of this. I voiced that the hotels website advertised cots for an additional fee; can we at least get a couple of cots? I was then quickly told that the cots aren't on-site, they're at the hotel's other properties and it would be a POSSIBILITY but he didn't know if he could be done. REALLY!?

My friends were wondering what was taking so long and walked into the office at this point and saw how upset and emotional I was. Within minutes, we were told that we'd be granted access to one of the "better" rooms, a suite, and that we'd still be keeping the other room, which was suddenly supplied with a cot. The suite had ONE double bed and a tiny, hard leather couch. It did, however, have the kitchen area that was advertised for the other rooms. So here's the end of the middle: We ended up sleeping in two beds, one cot, and on an uncomfortable "couch", and I prayed that we wouldn't need to ask the staff for anything again throughout the weekend because I desperately wanted to avoid dealing with them ever again.

The end of the middle, and the end: Sleeping in this hotel is like sleeping in a paper tent. There is no noise reduction whatsoever, and if someone is whistling down on the street below, you can hear it clear as day. Both nights were sleepless. The clubs are open very late down here, which is something that all hotels must have to deal with, but this one is particularly "exposed" to the slew of drunks walking the street at 5:00am. The second night, it was unbearable, as the noise was coming from the room next to us. There were about 5 people out on the balcony, screaming yelling hooting and hollering at everyone and everything. When it got to be too much at 4:15am, I called the front desk and spoke with a male employee, quite briefly, explaining that if possible, if he could ask the room next to us to quiet down, that'd be great, as we had to wake up in a matter of hours to get to the airport. He snippily told me that he'd deal with it and hung up on me. An hour later, the noise finally quieted down. Later that day, when checking out, a female employee asked us if we needed a cab called to get us to the airport. I thought this was very nice of her and said yes, we'd love one. After returning from lunch and facing a different employee, we wanted to double check that the cab was called and asked her to confirm. She looked perplexed, and then wrote down the information again and called for us. Good thing we asked her to confirm.

Conclusion: If you want to feel treated like a spring breaker, or with little to no respect, this may be the hotel for you. As someone who grew up working in inns and bed and breakfasts (my father was in the business for 30+ years), and someone who currently works in a customer service role, I was BLOWN AWAY by the treatment that I received at this hotel. I will be calling the third party vendor, as well as the BBB, and I will encourage everyone that I can to stay away from this place. I got the feeling that because this property was so close to the beach and the strip, they felt that they COULD act the way that they do because regardless, people will book rooms here based on the good location. As someone that has trip adviser reviews dating years back, all of which have an overall positive theme, I rely on this website to give me credible, raw advice for booking hotel reservations. I wish now that I had paid more attention to the customer service specific issues that are noted on here. To the manager Eddie, please don't even bother responding to this review with your transparent consolations; I heard more than I ever want to hear from you during our phone conversation on Friday.

South Beach is a colorful, vibrant, cultural place and can be an absolute blast. Just do yourself a favor and avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
zero11382, General Manager at Suites on South Beach Miami, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Dear Erin, I will reply to your review because its important to us to reply to all of our customers concerns, but it will not be to offer any apologies or "consolations" - as I explained before, when you book a reservation at our property through a 3rd party, and you are asked to fill in a "request" for the room bedding that you prefer that does not mean that your room bedding is guaranteed, hence the title of it being a "request" - it is important to us, operationally, that all guests be honest in the amount of people that will be occupying a room when booking their reservation, the amount of guests affect the cost of the room, and we prioritize all of those room bedding "requests" by the amount of people in a room, therefore if you have 3 or 4 people in a room you have priority for a room with 2 beds before a reservation with only 2 people. The hotel was not at fault in this instance, nor was the vendor, a request is a request, not all requests can always be met, that is just reality. Regardless of that, we upgraded you to the Palm Suite so you would have more space in the room (free of charge), and we provided a cot in the room (free of charge), we did not even charge the 5th guest which you brought that was unaccounted for, we did all we could to accomodate you.

Been to Suites on South Beach Miami? Share your experiences!