“great location and style” 5 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #8 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“great location and style”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2009

My husband and I stayed here one night--we were a "walk-in" reservation, after examining a few other art deco hotels nearby and being disappointed with the conditions of those hotels (tired, dank hallways) and the prices. The De Soleil appealed to me when I saw it surfing online. We like smaller hotels and contemporary style. This hotel did not disappoint. We loved the room (wish I had take pictures of that) and the rooftop private terrace with hot tub and privacy curtains. Hotel room had very high ceiling, gorgeous/comfy bed, and a stylish bar/kitchenette. The restaurant and club were packed downstairs, although we did not eat/drink there. This hotel is right on Ocean and Collins Ave, and right across from ocean so it was perfect for rollerblading the next morning. Our only disappointment was that the balconies are made out of metal and we were awakened by our neighbors going up/down the spiral stairs to their rooftop terrace, but we'll definitely return.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel de Soleil last weekend for the first time to celebrate my mid 30's birthday and to meet up with friends from NY also celebrating a birthday. This is a great hotel. Very new and modern..a lot of hotels in SoBe can be a little too "art deco" as in...just old. This hotel was all new...beautiful lobby bathrooms, even the front entrance was constantly being mopped and shined throughout our stay. We stayed in a king spa suite which was very clean and nice. Good sized room...check out my pics... There was a stocked mini bar, 2 large flat screens, all nice new furniture and a very large balcony with a hot tub facing Collins. BTW they offer to scrub the hottubs and fill them every day at your request. I'm used to staying at the Lowes and for the money this was a better value, a much smaller hotel, but but again for the same price I get a very average room at the lowes with no balcony. If you want a big resort pool and more direct beach access go with the Lowes. I'm used to nice hotels and this is a great place. Yes service was a little slow...but its South Beach, not Manhattan....

• Liked — The cleanliness, balcony, perfect location
  • Disliked — Service was a little slow
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

We made a last minute booking after our other hotel reservation fell through (new hotel, didn't open in time). The price was a bit high but as we were travelling with a small baby we wanted somewhere with some living space within the room. This left us with limited options.

Room was very nice and the bathroom was spacious and well designed. Be aware however that the kitchenette is really just a sink, small fridge (they will tell you that it is only a cooler so not to keep food for too long inside, however we were fine leaving things overnight) and a microwave. The nespresso coffee machine was tempermental to say the least.

We looked at the pool lanai and penthouse suites however for the significant price increase we were suprised to see that the room itself was identical to what we had. We found little need to change particularly as we had a nice city view and a quiet end room. The pool lanai suites were just located on the pool level and the penthouse had an external staircase to roof terrace with jacuzzi. While the terrace was nice, it was double to what we were paying and with a small baby, it wasn't worth it.

We did have a large balcony with table and chairs and two lounge chairs. One thing that was a bit strange was that the wall divide between our balcony and the next room was sheer so privacy was limited. We were on the third floor and the second floor did have curtain dividers - you may want to ask about this when you book.

Service was OK - though the front desk were accomodating and took off a horrendous bill for a horrible dinner at the hotel restaurant (Table Eight).

The location was a real win though as we were right in the middle of it all. With only a three minute walk across the way to the beach we had the best of everything. The hotel doesn't have it's own beach space, however you can rent chairs and umbrellas easily (if not a little pricey!).

All in all it was a very good stay, quality room (we didn't tire of it) decent service and fabulous location. I would definitely recommend this place for your holiday.

• Liked — The spacious rooms and location
  • Disliked — Lack of tea and decent coffee facilities
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Somerset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2008

Great room, decor, everything about it was good. Very modern. Good location. Didnt stay long enough to try the dining but it looked okay. Pool looked nice enough. Only thing that I hate about Florida is no matter where you go, including De Soleil, they hit you with a 20$ on average 'resort fee' on top of your room rate per night. Even if you dont use the pool or whatever they charge you, its one way I guess of increasing the room rate without it being obvious and without having to pay agents or websites extra commission. But I find it very annoying.

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — Resort Fee
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
Farmington Hills, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2008

I stayed one night at De Soleil, and the location was great, and the facility was neat, but the customer service left much to be desired. When we got to our room, there was a small kichenette, but no plates, forks, napkins, anything... After being in our room for a little while I noticed gnats flying around, I left a plate of food on the counter and noticed a gnat had landed in it... very gross...
Lastly was the maid service, when we asked for face towels, we were given one face towel and told thats all she had... and the following morning a housekeeper came and knocked on our door and asked when we were checking out.... at least an hour and a half before the required checkout!!!... Overall a descent hotel but for the price and the supposed 5 star rating, I expected something close to perfection.

• Liked — In-room Hot tub, Shower, Comfortable Beds
  • Disliked — Gnats, Housekeeping, Customer Service
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2008

Well what promised to be a great girl's weekend getaway, turned into something more along the lines of pulling out your hair. Botched booking, shotty billing and absence customer service. We booked poolside room for 2 nights and were given a discounted rate. After the first 2 nights, 2 people checked out, I extended my stay for 3 more nights. I was given discounted rate (unsolicited) and the trouble began. No internet service - why you ask - because the front desk showed the room unoccupied. That might explain why no one cleaned the room one day! We had to call about. Don't you think they would have caught the problem then, uh no. Loved the room pool was great too, but when the billing hit credit cards, it was all screwed up. Upon calling hotel to straighten out, we were talked to like idiots and not customers. Victoria, front desk manager, was well trained to be rude, talk over people and provide no cust service. Tried to get her mgr's name - was informed no one higher than her. After promising to send detailed bill, it never came. I did research and came up with owner's names - Garett & Gene Grabarnick. Both men did phone me to discuss poor customer service and billing problem. Gene ended up being one in end, that basically said due to low rate we received I should work out billing issue internally with other occupant! Are you kidding me? This hotel was only at 25% capacity when we checked in and discounted rates shouldn't be part of the factoring when considering customer service. And if it should, then heck the fact that I extended my stay 3 days should make up for it. The room would have sat empty guys! Hello!! Disappointing to say the least. And do they not know how to issue a credit and rebill - what kind of operation is this place anyway? I would have given a better rating on the hotel, but I fear that if you have any problems arise, you'll find no one there to help you. I tried to tell them that customer service is what brings people back but also can drive them away. What a shame. The fact that the place was empty should have been a red flag to begin with!!

• Liked — The poolside room was great
  • Disliked — Lack of customer service - When it came to problem solving they were downright rude.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2008

This was one of the better boutique hotels on South Beach. The location was great at the end of the strip away from all the craziness and loudness. But just a couple blocks away if you wanted to be in that. The beach was across the street. The hotel was really nice and well maintained. The rooms are around 500 sq ft, although they pack it with a ton of furniture (makes it seem smaller with all that furniture) I ended up putting some furniture in the large closet which gave us a lot of room to move around. All rooms have a balcony which is great. Comfy beds and great showers! The only complaint I have is that the manager didn't give us a late check out even though we were willing to pay. There definitely wasn't anyone checking in exactly at 3 and no line. I know this because we stuck around the hotel till our flight at 7pm. We checked in our bags and walked around and came back to the lobby to rest in between. Table 8 restaurant connected to the hotel had great food- watch the servers in the morning-not friendly.

• Liked — Bathrooms and Balcony
  • Disliked — Unwilling management to accomodate guests for late check out.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Z Ocean Hotel South Beach? Share your experiences!