“Z Ocean Hotel Miami South Beach....Exceptional :)” 5 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #9 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Australia
“Z Ocean Hotel Miami South Beach....Exceptional :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

To my new friend Jose and all the staff at the Z Ocean Hotel Miami,
From the moment I arrived you treated me with the greatest of respect and exceptional customer service. Fantastic luxurious room overlooking Ocean drive, comfortable bed, espresso machine, great amenities, large bathroom porcelain tiles, swimming lap pool, plasma tv, beach towel / sunbed service etc. Great recommendations from all the magnificent staff throughout the hotel especially at the front desk. Warm, friendly, polite, respectful, honest staff who genuinely want to make a international visitor enjoy beautiful Miami. Best decision I ever made was to stay at this excellent located hotel in South Beach Miami. Wished I stayed longer than two nights and highly recommend the Z Ocean Miami you will be spoiled by this wonderful "boutique" hotel. S from Australia :)

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
ZFOM, Front Office Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Good Afternoon Alfa01,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Z Ocean Hotel. Please be assured that your new friend Jose and the rest of the staff of the Z Ocean will be shown this amazing review. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your two night stay with us. Here it to hoping you return in the future for a much longer stay! You are now our new Australian friend.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

The employee: reception, concierge, porter, maid : very good people ! they listen and smile and interact with you in a very good way
The room: a lot of space and everything is practical, been there a few time
The restaurant: the hotel do not own the restaurant so over there the service/food have some up and down and they don't have something more than the others restaurants around, there reputation doesn't equal what they offer...the management must be sleeping...there a lot of amelioration that can be done, so easy to see....
Suggestions to the hotel:
* I travel a lot (member to a lot of hotels group, IHG too) and usually I take my flight after diner time so I leave the room at noon (if the late checkout is not possible) and sometime I need to change/shower and very good hotel have a special room for that. If not, well, you search for clean bathroom... So in miami, I go to the beach for the last day and need to change/shower...
* beware that some hotel offer 'breakfast' in there package but they don't say 'continental' or 'full' and you have to search/phone/clic to know and one principle of a good service is to make thing easy to the client

And yes I will return !

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
ZFOM, Front Office Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Good Afternoon flightaway24,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Z Ocean! We appreciate your comments, feedback and suggestions. We are thrilled to hear that your enjoyed the employees and the room! Please be assured that a follow up will be done with the restaurant. We are glad to hear that you will be returning and we hope that will be sooner rather than later!

Bloomfield, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Stayed here for business for 6 nights. The hotel is in a perfect location with many restaurants and convenience stores within a block. When you arrive walk around the corner and you will see all the convenience stores including a starbucks. The hotel is across the street from the beach which is fine, they have a stand on beach for guests to get towels and chairs. My room was beautifuly done and I would request same room again. There is expresso machine in every room with a supply of free pods and there is a wet bar, microwave and fridge. There is a pool on second floor and a cafe and outdoor bar on first. I hope to stay here again next July!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Good Afternoon frefutravelor,

We hope you decide to stay next July as well! Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review for the Z Ocean! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the room and the nespresso maker! Anything we can assist you with for your next trip, please do not hesitate to contact a manager on duty. We are awaiting your arrival for next July to have another great time!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Z for 3 nights. Loved our pool side room that we were upgraded to due to my Platinum status. We received a champaign welcome followed by a bottle of wine sent to our room. We were made to feel very special during our visit! Thank you Dominiqgo!

Stayed July 2014
ZFOM, Front Office Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Good Afternoon TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Z Ocean. Thank you for being a loyal IHG Rewards member. We are glad that we were able to make you feel special during your visit! Hopefully you will return to the Z!

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Thanks for reading my review - here's my 2 cents.

Check in: Was with my partner and a 5 year old. The room wasn't ready at check in, which was alright given I was about 45 minutes earlier than 3pm. However, it still wasn't ready at 4 either and the reception was luke warm at best. Not that big of a deal, but it's those small nuances that make you consider recommending a property or not. The manager of the front desk did come out after it was obvious that patience was waning (remember the 5 year old?) and the lobby is tiny and the only place air conditioned. Another small nuance, I booked the breakfast package and if you're spending $400 a night, I just think it's a little tacky to give 'coupons' to give to the waitstaff at the table. It cheapens the experience a bit and just feels a bit old school to me.
Rooms - luckily, I called a few days earlier to change the 'partial view' rooftop to the city view. If you're considering, it's not worth the extra $100 night given the hotel directly across the street blocks the majority of your view. Our suite also provided a partial view and was just thankful I modified the request in advance. The rooms themselves are 'smart'. I loved the shower and the lines/bed was very comfortable. If you're looking for a lot of square feet, this is more of a tight loft type of feel. Again, fine for me and the family - might not be the taste for those hoping for a more open feel. The roof top terrace was also nice, with a jacuzzi. Housekeeping did a great job at keeping the place tidy and replenished the towels that were dragged in from the beach. For those hotels that are 'green' - they should consider just putting in the Aveda (the products they used) shower dispenser and not the dozens of tiny bottles that get tossed and replenished.
Beach - it was very hot when we were there so only utilized the beach services once. They staff was very friendly and helpful in getting things set up.
Restaurant - with the breakfast package, obviously we were there each morning. The breakfast menu was great and compliments to the chef for a great job on lots of options. The services was friendly and even accommodated my son with humor each morning. I had dinner there one evening and wasn't impressed with the meal. The drinks were pretty poor and the food itself was just not imaginative nor worth the money.
Pool - I did order a lunch for the family at the pool one afternoon. I have to say, whomever was there working the bar that day was awesome. She made great drinks, was super friendly and provided that extra service that makes you feel good about the place you are staying at. I wish I would of gotten her name - she was by far the most service oriented individual at the entire hotel during my stay.
Valet - I was pleased with the service for the entire stay. They had the car always ready when we went down and there wasn't a wait to have it parked upon our return.

Overall, I liked the hotel. I'm not certain I would be inclined to stay a second time given there are other properties around the same price range that I would want to try. I think hotel establishments need to be more forward thinking with their clientele. It's not just the time we spend there at that moment, it's the little extras that make us want to come back to their properties in the future and recommend to others.
For example - a cold drink at check in, or a cool towel given the small lobby in which you have to wait. If the room isn't ready, offer the client something at the bar or make a suggestion to wait in the restaurant. If you're staying there for a long period of time, make a call - see how things are going and if there's anything needed to make the stay more enjoyable. Or follow up when something went poorly (ie. checkin). Give me a reason to really want to come back, talk to friends about your place or look at other hotels that are within the same chain.

Just my 2 cents

Room Tip: I was in PH13, which was right next to the corner - roof top view. Same view, just less per night
Green Features: I would say comparable to other hotels - ie., sign to not change linens everyday, not change towels by hanging up etc. Don't recall anything else,
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
ZFOM, Front Office Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Good Morning longdays7,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us here at the Z Ocean. We appreciate all your comments and feedback. Please be assured that your review has been shared with our executive committee in order to improve service and to review the wonderful ideas you have provided for us. We would have hoped that your stay would have been the "wow" experience. We hope you do decide to return to the Z. If you do decide to return, please contact me directly at elen.terzis@ihg.com to ensure that we live up to the service we are known to provide. The pool bar attendants name is Valeria! She is known to make the best drinks with her wonderful smile!

Oakura
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We stayed here fro 5 days in a pool side suite. had our own outdoor table and sun loungers pool side.
Loved it. Don't book this room if you like your privacy. But we loved it. Very modern and clean, comfy beds, his and hers bathrooms. Great. Very good restaurant and bar. All rooms have balconies,
I would definitely stay here again. great location to beach and shopping.Beach one block away. Shopping right outside hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice. I liked the poolside, but top floors have their own Jacuzzi and sun deck.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
ZFOM, Front Office Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Good Morning OakuraSue1,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Z Ocean Hotel! We are glad to hear you enjoyed the pool lanai room! Hopefully we will see you soon at the Z Ocean for another 5 day stay!

Shanghai, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Z Ocean hotel is very well situated just by the beach at Miami South beach. Beds are great, rooms nice, quality good and friendly but be ware of the valet parking. We Hamden in our car, a brand new 4-series BMW cab,and we're about to pick it up the next day. When we came to pick it up did the car have a scratch on the front bumper. The guy who Parker the car was friendly, excused on behalf of the company but needed his manager to come when I started to claim a protocol and and copy of their insurance document. He called for his Manager but when he arrived did he not want to identify himself neither share the insurance document or number. So, I simply had to call the police to get this sorted out. The police came and it turned out that everything I asked for was suddenly easy to get. Even the police called the Valet Parkin "not a serious company" and pointed out the Manager to be a crook.
Despite this did the hotel give discounts and excuses in a professional way. Stay at the hotel, it's very good but avoid the valet parking,

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
ZFOM, Front Office Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Good Morning Michael W,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the Z Ocean Hotel. We appreciate every feedback and comment as this allows up to grow and improve on our service. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the hotel aspect of your stay and hope to see you again. Your comments will be forwarded to the executive committee and the Valet company management. Anything we can assist you with please feel free to contact a Manager on Duty or myself at elen.terzis@ihg.com.

Front Office Manager

Been to Z Ocean Hotel South Beach? Share your experiences!