“Sophisticated” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Columbus, Ohio
“Sophisticated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in one of the penthouses. The room is gorgeous and stately, and decorated in a rather suave and adult way. The view was sold as "partial ocean", and I was pleasantly surprised that this did not comprise a slice of coastline, but was much more expansive than anticipated.
The jacuzzi was glorious, and included Aveda bathsalts. The shower too was stellar.
My only (very minor) complaint was with the spa services (never received). Shortly after check-in, there was a card offering 15% off spa services inserted under our door. Having already decided to sign up for a massage,this was not the deciding factor, but was very much appreciated. The hotel info brief specified that massages needed to be booked at least 2 hours in advance. I attempted to book said massage the evening before, but the front desk informed me that it had to be made the next morning. The morning after, I gave the front desk a 6 hour notice and was promised a return phone call upon placing that reservation. After 30 minutes waiting by the phone, we called again and were told that they were working on it...and that was the last I heard from the front desk. At the very least, i would have appreciated a call explaining that the masseuse (who is not onsite) was unable to accommodate my request, rather than waiting in the dark.
Still, this is a glorious bit of real estate in South Beach. I would not hesitate to stay again (and book my spa services at one of the many other hotels offering these in the near vicinity)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Zoceansales, Director of Sales at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear Sselhorst,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your visit to the Z Ocean. I am disappointed that we failed to exceed your expectations but am grateful you took the time to provide me with the details. I have met with our Spa Director and she will be retraining front desk staff to ensure this does not happen moving forward.

Our spa service is very accommodating to our guests and really don't follow set hours we have had guests schedule midnight massages.

As for our views we do like to say partial Ocean View Rooftops and everyone comes down pleasantly surprised the views stretch for miles on South Beach with that wonderful blue ocean. The fact that you have to turn your head slightly to the left (depending on room) is why we say partial rather than full on!!

Once again thank you so much for the feedback and on your return please call me directly and I will schedule you the most amazing spa treatment you'll ever have (and the price will be better than the 20% off)......

Looking forward to your next visit have a great and safe new years.

All the best

1,121 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I just returned to Milwaukee after my third December trip to the Z-Ocean Hotel in Miami Beach. I am so comfortable here, I can't imagine even trying anywhere else. The rooms are very comfortable, I always get a great balcony with a view of the pool. The showers are in a league of their own! Each visit I have had a room with a wet bar, espresso maker, micro, fridge and so on. The Front Porch Cafe serves meals all day long, with a separate dinner menu. There is-- really-- an open-air front porch under huge umbrellas, or you can eat inside.

You're just a block's walk to the beach, which walk takes you past the Starbucks and through lovely Lummus Park. The beach crew attends to your every need with a smile-- chairs, towels, big umbrellas, and so on. Joggers will love this set-up!

Most anything you need or want is within a few blocks walking distance of the Z-Ocean Hotel: groceries, liquor, the NY TImes, other supplies and the fabulous Lincoln Road Pedestrian Mall with more restaurants and shops than you can visit in a week. Whole Foods Market is about ten blocks away. There are rental bikes all OVER the place. If it sounds like you, visit the Pizza Bar as you walk to Lincoln Road and get the biggest slice I've ever seen, and it's good pizza, too!

I don't want for anything when I stay at the Z-Ocean Hotel (if I did, the staff would see that I got it) and I'll be the guy there for 5-7 days again NEXT December for the fourth time, with the big smile on his face.

I

Room Tip: I've never had a room on the north side, but from outside it looks like those rooms overlook an...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Zoceansales, Director of Sales at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Keith,

Hello there, so nice to hear about your stay to the Z Ocean. Sorry for the delay in responding... but are delighted that your stay with us was memorable.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments, hope to see you soon.

All the best,

Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed one night on points while visiting the Miami area and have to say this hotel was a pleasant surprise. The hotel main entrance (including the garage) is on Collins Av. but the building has also another (nicer) entrance on Ocean drive. This is right at the end (or the beginning) of Ocean drive, in a quieter area but close to the action and adjacent to the Betsy. As an IHG's Priority Club elite, received free internet (on all our devices) and had not to pay the resort fee. Also, as we were celebrating , the hotel upgraded us to a nice corner room , facing Ocean drive and sent a bottle of rather good white wine and a nice card. All room are suites with a kitchenette . Our suite was large while not huge, with a large bathroom and a nice terrace with table, 2 chairs and 2 sun beds, There is a small but nice swimming pool on the inside of the Hotel. There is a restaurant which we used for an happy hour drink (average) and a fish taco appetizer (rather good) but not for dinner nor breakfast. The hotel is "technically" a Crown Plaza but it has all a different - far better - character while offering all comforts. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for room on Ocean Drive
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Pascucp2012,

Thank you for your comments on your recent visit to the Z Ocean Hotel South Beach and thank you for being a loyal Priority Club member.

Very happy to read of your wonderful stay during your brief visit with us. We are the only hotel tp span both Ocean Drive and Collins Avenue making our hotel very accessible to the area.

We have been a proud member of IHG for the past three plus years and your correct on not being branded a Crowne Plaza on property level we like to maintain a more boutique luxury hotel atmosphere for our guests to enjoy but yet still provide our Priority Club members all the perks (and sometimes more) of the program.

Thanks again for visiting with us, hope to see you back here soon.

All the best,

Grapevine, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I liked the fact that all of the rooms were suites so each has a large outdoor terrace and its only a block to the beach plus its right in the middle of all of the action in terms of restaurants and bars. I did initially think the hotel was right on the beach so I was a little surprised to find it was not, but it was only across the street...that being said there is about a $15 a day resort fee which goes to umbrellas / chairs for the beach. I was on business so could not use that service so I think its unfair to have everyone subsidize this fee for all guests when many may not use it. I could maybe see how it might be different if the hotel was actually on the beach, but it is not.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Zoceansales, Director of Sales at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear Garth,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and also for being a Priority Club member. I'm sorry to hear that your experience was not what you expected. All comments and reviews are taken seriously. As you stated we are not directly on the Ocean but as all hotels on Ocean Drive just a few steps from the white sandy beach.

The resort fee you mentioned is indeed charged to all guests staying at the Z Ocean (as is the norm with most hotels on South Beach) and do include everything you stated beach chairs, umbrellas and towels but also include complimentary wireless in public areas of hotel, nightly turn-down amenity, daily newspaper, complimentary bottled water daily, Nespresso coffee makers, use of fitness center and welcome drink we also have dedicated staff in both our pool and beach areas that are exclusively there to provide you a more personalized service.

If you still feel you were charged a resort fee unfairly please feel free to contact me directly frank.fuentes@ihg.com to discuss further.

Have a great holiday season and looking forward to welcoming you back in 2013.

Take care,

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Stayed there for 3 nights on points as a pre-holidays getaway. For being a PCR Member, got free wireless internet. The hotel has a bar downstairs and great lounge area, concierge and a restaurant that has great food and excellent service. The front desk people called us a cab right away when we needed it. The rooms had a great rain shower, the bed was big and comfy, the maid service was accommodating, and the location was great, within a short walk to everything on the beach, but not too loud or cramped. Would definately stay here again - though not sure if I would have paid the full price, didn't even look at the price since I was staying on points. Recommend getting a room with a balcony on the second floor that walks out to the pool, its great to open your window and walk literally ten feet to sun poolside. They have a bar on the pool too, and a hot tub.

Room Tip: 2nd floor on the pool side
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Zoceansales, Director of Sales at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Michael,

I am so glad to hear that you had the Zexperience during your recent stay at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach. We also want to thank you for being a loyal Priority Club member and that you chose us to redeem your points with destinations like Paris, Buenos Aires, Fiji and Shanghai (to name a few) South Beach is honored to be your first location.

I am glad you enjoyed your Pool Lanai Suite and like you mentioned the pool is literally 10 feet from your sliding glass door perfect for midnight dips!

If you find yourself back in South Beach any time soon please feel free to call upon me personally so I may assist you with another great stay in sunny Miami Beach.

Have a happy holiday season and stay safe.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Z Ocean for 7 nights and for 6 days were totally impressed, however after returning to our room on the penultimate day of our stay we discovered that my mobile phone had gone missing. Initially this was not taken seriously by security and we did feel very aggrieved. However after providing a receipt for a replacement the Hotel very quickly credited the amount to my account. If you do intend to stay please ensure that everything is locked away securely.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Dmaw,

Please accept my sincere apologies once again for your phone and I am glad that our resolution was to your satisfaction. We do take great concern for our guests safety and personal belongings during their visit to the Z Ocean.

I was glad to read that this incident did not ruin your trip to South Beach and that you had a fantastic time during your visit. We are pleased that we exceeded your expectations and I'm grateful you took the time to provide us with feedback. Thank you!

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Happy holidays,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for my birthday and we were in a penthouse suite.

The staff is so friendly and helpful. Kristen even put together an envelope of free drink passes for different night clubs since the concierge desk was closed. The restaurant in the lobby has amazing brunch!!! The food was fantastic.

We called downstairs a few times to ask for things like towels. They came up to the room within ten minutes.

This is now our favorite hotel and we will definitely come back!

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Erin,

Amazing feedback!!! Thank you!!

Please feel free to reach out to me the next time you are in South Beach if I can assist with reservations or any more passes to the clubs. P.S. Kristen says hello....

Have a great holiday season.

Take care,

Director of Sales & Marketing

Been to Z Ocean Hotel South Beach? Share your experiences!