“Excellent Hotel & Service” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 201 hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Smithfield, RI
“Excellent Hotel & Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Would definitely return again... Good location and easy access to the beach. Professional, friendly and helpful staff, from the front desk to the bellmen (including Domingo who was especailly helpful) to the valet parking attendants, they helped make the stay relaxing and pleasurable.

Room Tip: The 'street side' is a little more noisy at night regarding sleep.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Zoceansales, Director of Sales at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Jim B,

So nice to hear about your recent visit with us. I will ensure to pass the comments along to the team, especially Domingo and the front desk team. It's very rewarding to know that we were gracious, attentive and accountable during your visit.

Thanks again and hope to see you back with us soon.

Take Care,

1,116 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed at The Z for the first leg of our Honeymoon after our gorgeous wedddibg in the UK. We checked in and decided to upgrade to the Penthouse Rooftop terrace - best move. We made our way upto PentHouse 25.
We was absolutley made up with our gorgeous room with chic boutique styling. It had a his and hers bathroom with Aveda products to use,massive gorgeous bed,plasma,sofa area,espresso coffee maker,hairdryer,iron,mini bar,glasses etc. The balcony looked out onto the pool area with a spiral staircase upto our own private rooftop with hot tub,double lounger, single loungers,table/chairs and fridge!!

Our terrace seemed like the best room in the whole of the hotel. We looked out onto the Atlantic Ocean and Ocean Drive - it really was perfection. We drank Mojito's watching the sun go down. A real escape from the crazy world that we live in.

The staff at the Z are also very helpful and nothing is too much trouble.

I would without a doubt stay here again on our next visit to Miami. It's not cheap but worth every penny for a taste of luxury.

Room Tip: PH 25 is good choice - at the back looking over ocean
Dear Leesa,

First let me start off by saying congratulations and thank you for that great review! I'm glad that you were able to experience so much of the Z Ocean Ocean during your honeymoon.

You did have on the few Rooftop Penthouses that we like to call the best of both worlds with both Ocean and City views. I'm glad that you found our staff accommodating and helpful towards your needs during your visit.

Hopefully you'll return on your first anniversary or sooner.....

Take care,

Aberdeen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

From the warm and efficient welcome at reception to the furnishing of our room this hotel oozed quality. Our room was at the poolside and we had two dedicated loungers and fresh towels every morning. The pool has glass panels in the bottom, viewable by people walking along the 'breezeway' underneath. There were two TVs in the bedroom, two fridges, a microwave and a nespresso machine. Our room was right at the end of the hotel and didn't pick up wi-fi, room wi-fi was $15 per night anyway. There was free wi-fi access in the hotel lobby. The hotel has underground valet parking, I think that was about $30 a day. The hotel is close to the beach and all the beachfront hotels with restaurants very close by, including a 24hr diner opposite. A very enjoyable stay.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Martin,

Thank you for your comments on your recent visit to the Z Ocean Hotel South Beach.

Very happy to read of your wonderful stay. My sincere apologies for the Wi-Fi service in your suite we are currently speaking to our internet provider to upgrade our service to ensure all the rooms have the same signal strength. We are so glad that the rest of your stay was pleasant and that you enjoyed our hotel.

Thanks again for visiting with us, hope to see you back here soon.

Take care

Yardley, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I can echo the great comments about this hotel having just returned from a great weekend spent at the Z. The location is in a terrific spot in S. Beach and we found the staff and the accomodations to be top notch. The rooms are wonderful suites and we thought their bar served the best mojitos that we ever tasted. We didn't take advantage of it but we heard from others that their restaurant serves the best breakfasts in S. Beach. It was also great to use their private spot on the beach which came with an umbrella and lounge chairs. The Z is a bit funky which we loved and it fits the location. We can't wait to come back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Zoceansales, Director of Sales at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Wromig,

Dear Wromig,

Thank you for taking the time to share your great feedback. Being a bit funky is what we like!! We are truly delighted that you enjoyed everything about your stay - from our location to the best mojitos (EVER).

It certainly sounds like you had a great weekend stay.....

BTW the Front Porch Cafe does serve the best breakfast on the beach and dinner is delicious as well.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to South Beach!

Sincerely yours,

Frank "Bit Funky" Fuentes
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

To celebrate our 16th wedding anniversary, out of all the many hotels in South Beach, I selected the Z Ocean Hotel and could not have been happier with my choice. My husband and I enjoyed a 3-night stay in early October and in one word the entire experience was magnificent. From the hotel itself, to the staff, to the location, to the amenities, we could not find any fault with this property.

On the day of arrival the front desk clerk (sorry I didn't get her name) greeted us warmly and informed me that since we were there to celebrate our wedding anniversary we had been upgraded to a Penthouse Suite. She also gave us vouchers for free welcome cocktails at the hotel bar and explained that as a Priority Club Member our stay included complimentary use of chairs and umbrella service at the beach.

Once we got to the suite we were pleasantly surprised at the level of comfort provided. This review would never end if I tried to list each and every fabulous detail, but let me assure you that the suite was nicer than any other we've ever stayed in. That says a lot given the fact that we are frequent travelers, having visited every state on the East Coast, numerous cities in both Ontario and Quebec, Canada as well as islands in the Caribbean.

The Z Oceanl has 2 entrances, the main one on Collins Avenue at Espanola Way (between 14th & 15th streets) and the other on Ocean Drive next to the Front Porch Cafe restaurant. Valet parking is the only option at a daily cost of $32, but we were quite pleased with the prompt and friendly service and appreciated the fact that the cars are parked in an underground parking lot right at the hotel and not at some offsite location.

On the second day of our stay we returned to the suite to find a personalized note and container of white chocolate candies by the bedside. Then the next night we found a handwritten card congratulating us on our anniversary along with a very nice bottle of wine. These extra touches made an already happy occasion even more special.

The only issue that we encountered was the fact that the rooftop jacuzzi which was a main feature of our suite was not operable during our stay. We were disappointed over this fact, however once I brought it to the attention of the evening desk clerk, he apologized and without any prompting whatsoever on my part, immediately offered to credit my Priority Club account with a substantial number of points.

The entire hotel staff have to be recognized as part of the reason we had such a lovely stay. Everyone we encountered including Domingo the bellman, Marco & Pablo the valet attendants, Dominick the night clerk, Maria R. the clerk who checked us out on the day of departure as well as the various other desk clerks and employees we saw during our stay all seemed to genuinely enjoy their role in making hotel guests feel valued and appreciated.

Approximately 45 minutes after checking out of the hotel, I received a phone call from Stacy at the Z Ocean. She called to thank me for choosing their establishment, wished us a happy anniversary and apologized again for the non-working jacuzzi in our suite. This level of customer service went above and beyond what we could have hoped for. Without a doubt the Z Ocean exceeded all expectations and hopefully we will have the chance to celebrate future anniversaries here.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Ellynn,

Thank you so much for your kind words in regards to your stay during your anniversary, we know you had many hotels to choose from and we are honored you stayed with us.

I am so happy to l hear that we were successful on making sure we took care of the small details that made your stay more pleasant being a small boutique hotel we can focus on these items to make our guest stays more magnificent (if I could use your words). Let me apologize for your hot tub not working and it’s been replaced since your visit.

I will be sure to share your positive feedback with the team here; who I know will appreciate your feedback. We hope you have the opportunity to visit us again for your 17th, 18th, 19th etc.... anniversaries so you can enjoy all that this wonderful city has to offer!

Also thank you for being a Priority Club member.

Take care,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

After spending a less than stellar night at the Fontainebleau, my boyfriend and I checked into the Z Ocean for a weekend getaway in South Beach. Since my boyfriend was working all day Friday, and I had to check out of the Fontainebleau by 11 AM, I had no place to go except to wait for our room at the Z Ocean to be ready (check in is at 3 PM). Upon check in, Stacey at the front desk was very helpful and friendly. Not only did she arrange to have housekeeping start making up our room so we could get in early, but she also completed "pre-registration" so that I could go down to the beach if I wanted and use the chairs and umbrellas that are included in the daily resort charge. She also had the bellman take my luggage for me so I didn't have to carry it around until the room was ready. I did some shopping at the Lincoln Road Mall and had lunch at the outdoor bar at the Front Porch Patio within the hotel. The bartender was friendly and the salad I had was great! Luckily, by about 1:45 PM I got a call that our room was ready!

Yes, the price of an ocean-view rooftop penthouse at the Z Ocean is pricey. But, I also believe it was well worth it. The room was spacious with 2 TV's, a bar area, two sinks, and a huge shower with multiple jets. The rooftop was just as amazing with a bed to sunbathe on, wet bar area, cooler, and jacuzzi. We paid extra for the ocean view and were thankful for it. Our deck overlooked Ocean Drive and the ocean and we had fun people watching and using the jacuzzi at the end of the day. One thing I didn't like though was that I noticed that there were some leaves and hair in the jacuzzi - I noticed in the room that there was a book that said you should call the front desk to have someone come clean the jacuzzi out and fill it for you. Unfortunately, the guy who came, did no cleaning and just filled it up which was a bit gross. Also, the complimentary soak is just a packet of bath salt that they leave for you to pour in yourself. There were a few jets that appeared to not be working that well in our jacuzzi and several of the colored lights in the jacuzzi were burned out, but we did not want to be bothered with trying to get these problems fixed since we were only there for 2 nights.

Since our room faced Ocean Drive it was loud at night when we were falling asleep but nothing a sound machine app on our iPhones couldn't mask. We ate breakfast at the Front Porch Cafe one morning and although the service was slow, the food was really, really good and pretty reasonably priced.

All things considered,l the Z Ocean was a good hotel that I would reccomend. The location is outstanding as you can walk to the best restaurants and shops in South Beach in minutes. However, since the price was so high (just under $1,000 for 2 nights) I feel there are some details that should be improved so that quality is on par with the price:

The shower was great with the multiple jets, however, our water never got hot over our 2 day stay and was just lukewarm. Also, the water in the shower was not draining that well so there was about 1-2 inches of water that accumulated on the shower floor when it was turned on.

Housekeeping did not visit our room until nearly 4 PM on Saturday, after we had returned from the beach after being gone all day. Sine we were in the room, it was cleaned pretty hastily and a few items were missed like giving us refills on the shampoo and conditioner.

A few minutes after I had checked into the room, a strange man walked in and startled me (did not knock first). He said he was there to check the wet bar. Great - but do you think you could have knocked first, especially since I had just passed you in the hallway on my way to the room? This was kind of startling.

It is nice to have the beach chairs and umbrella available for use, however it is about a 5 minute walk from the hotel to the beach area. There are no restrooms on the beach so we were advised that we either had to come back to the hotel or go to Starbucks (where the restrooms are locked with a code).

I would recommend the Z Ocean Hotel, especially a rooftop penthouse, to anyone looking to have an unforgetable time in South Beach.

Room Tip: Splurge on an ocean view rooftop penthouse
Dear Dove 123,

Thank you for your comments and detailed review on your recent visit to the Z Ocean Hotel South Beach. Very happy to read of your wonderful stay and that you loved your Rooftop Terrace Suite. Stacey and our team are wonderful at accommodating guests that arrive early by providing all our services and amenities while our suites are being prepared for arrivals.

My sincere apologies for the small details that our staff members failed to provide during your visit and I've addressed each department to ensure these items are looked into immediately and thank you for your observations. We have recently hired an outside plumber to look into drains and ensure both water temperature and drainage is properly working.

Thanks again for visiting with us and please come back soon.

Sincerely yours,

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is a great Hotel. I usually stay at the Fontainebleau but this time I tried something different. I am glad I picked this hotel. The location is great. The beach is a cross the street. You have a lot of resturante in walking distance. There are a few clubs and bars in walking distance. A rental car is not needed becasuse everything is near. The concierge was great and got us reservations at a nearby resturante that was great. The room was decorated very nice and the hugh shower was a nice touch. I usually trip to South Beach 3 to 4 times a year and this hotel will be my first choice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Zoceansales, Director of Sales at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Cpalass,

Thank you so much for your amazing review! We love the fact that you loved everything about our hotel and got to enjoy the location and excellent service from our staff.

We know that coming from the other hotel you use to stay at you had everything within the hotel but we have everything (and mean everything) at our doorstep beach, restaurants, clubs, cafe and shopping. As for needing a car definitely not needed. Next time you stay with us, you'll definitely have to take advantage of our rooftop terrace suite. - it really is the best way to relax in South Beach style! Hope to see you soon!

Your new home on South Beach.....

Director of Sales

Been to Z Ocean Hotel South Beach? Share your experiences!