“Wonderful Anniversary Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Philadelphia, PA
“Wonderful Anniversary Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

To celebrate our 16th wedding anniversary, out of all the many hotels in South Beach, I selected the Z Ocean Hotel and could not have been happier with my choice. My husband and I enjoyed a 3-night stay in early October and in one word the entire experience was magnificent. From the hotel itself, to the staff, to the location, to the amenities, we could not find any fault with this property.

On the day of arrival the front desk clerk (sorry I didn't get her name) greeted us warmly and informed me that since we were there to celebrate our wedding anniversary we had been upgraded to a Penthouse Suite. She also gave us vouchers for free welcome cocktails at the hotel bar and explained that as a Priority Club Member our stay included complimentary use of chairs and umbrella service at the beach.

Once we got to the suite we were pleasantly surprised at the level of comfort provided. This review would never end if I tried to list each and every fabulous detail, but let me assure you that the suite was nicer than any other we've ever stayed in. That says a lot given the fact that we are frequent travelers, having visited every state on the East Coast, numerous cities in both Ontario and Quebec, Canada as well as islands in the Caribbean.

The Z Oceanl has 2 entrances, the main one on Collins Avenue at Espanola Way (between 14th & 15th streets) and the other on Ocean Drive next to the Front Porch Cafe restaurant. Valet parking is the only option at a daily cost of $32, but we were quite pleased with the prompt and friendly service and appreciated the fact that the cars are parked in an underground parking lot right at the hotel and not at some offsite location.

On the second day of our stay we returned to the suite to find a personalized note and container of white chocolate candies by the bedside. Then the next night we found a handwritten card congratulating us on our anniversary along with a very nice bottle of wine. These extra touches made an already happy occasion even more special.

The only issue that we encountered was the fact that the rooftop jacuzzi which was a main feature of our suite was not operable during our stay. We were disappointed over this fact, however once I brought it to the attention of the evening desk clerk, he apologized and without any prompting whatsoever on my part, immediately offered to credit my Priority Club account with a substantial number of points.

The entire hotel staff have to be recognized as part of the reason we had such a lovely stay. Everyone we encountered including Domingo the bellman, Marco & Pablo the valet attendants, Dominick the night clerk, Maria R. the clerk who checked us out on the day of departure as well as the various other desk clerks and employees we saw during our stay all seemed to genuinely enjoy their role in making hotel guests feel valued and appreciated.

Approximately 45 minutes after checking out of the hotel, I received a phone call from Stacy at the Z Ocean. She called to thank me for choosing their establishment, wished us a happy anniversary and apologized again for the non-working jacuzzi in our suite. This level of customer service went above and beyond what we could have hoped for. Without a doubt the Z Ocean exceeded all expectations and hopefully we will have the chance to celebrate future anniversaries here.

• Stayed October 2012
Zoceansales, Director of Sales at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Ellynn,

Thank you so much for your kind words in regards to your stay during your anniversary, we know you had many hotels to choose from and we are honored you stayed with us.

I am so happy to l hear that we were successful on making sure we took care of the small details that made your stay more pleasant being a small boutique hotel we can focus on these items to make our guest stays more magnificent (if I could use your words). Let me apologize for your hot tub not working and it’s been replaced since your visit.

I will be sure to share your positive feedback with the team here; who I know will appreciate your feedback. We hope you have the opportunity to visit us again for your 17th, 18th, 19th etc.... anniversaries so you can enjoy all that this wonderful city has to offer!

Also thank you for being a Priority Club member.

Take care,

Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

After spending a less than stellar night at the Fontainebleau, my boyfriend and I checked into the Z Ocean for a weekend getaway in South Beach. Since my boyfriend was working all day Friday, and I had to check out of the Fontainebleau by 11 AM, I had no place to go except to wait for our room at the Z Ocean to be ready (check in is at 3 PM). Upon check in, Stacey at the front desk was very helpful and friendly. Not only did she arrange to have housekeeping start making up our room so we could get in early, but she also completed "pre-registration" so that I could go down to the beach if I wanted and use the chairs and umbrellas that are included in the daily resort charge. She also had the bellman take my luggage for me so I didn't have to carry it around until the room was ready. I did some shopping at the Lincoln Road Mall and had lunch at the outdoor bar at the Front Porch Patio within the hotel. The bartender was friendly and the salad I had was great! Luckily, by about 1:45 PM I got a call that our room was ready!

Yes, the price of an ocean-view rooftop penthouse at the Z Ocean is pricey. But, I also believe it was well worth it. The room was spacious with 2 TV's, a bar area, two sinks, and a huge shower with multiple jets. The rooftop was just as amazing with a bed to sunbathe on, wet bar area, cooler, and jacuzzi. We paid extra for the ocean view and were thankful for it. Our deck overlooked Ocean Drive and the ocean and we had fun people watching and using the jacuzzi at the end of the day. One thing I didn't like though was that I noticed that there were some leaves and hair in the jacuzzi - I noticed in the room that there was a book that said you should call the front desk to have someone come clean the jacuzzi out and fill it for you. Unfortunately, the guy who came, did no cleaning and just filled it up which was a bit gross. Also, the complimentary soak is just a packet of bath salt that they leave for you to pour in yourself. There were a few jets that appeared to not be working that well in our jacuzzi and several of the colored lights in the jacuzzi were burned out, but we did not want to be bothered with trying to get these problems fixed since we were only there for 2 nights.

Since our room faced Ocean Drive it was loud at night when we were falling asleep but nothing a sound machine app on our iPhones couldn't mask. We ate breakfast at the Front Porch Cafe one morning and although the service was slow, the food was really, really good and pretty reasonably priced.

All things considered,l the Z Ocean was a good hotel that I would reccomend. The location is outstanding as you can walk to the best restaurants and shops in South Beach in minutes. However, since the price was so high (just under $1,000 for 2 nights) I feel there are some details that should be improved so that quality is on par with the price:

The shower was great with the multiple jets, however, our water never got hot over our 2 day stay and was just lukewarm. Also, the water in the shower was not draining that well so there was about 1-2 inches of water that accumulated on the shower floor when it was turned on.

Housekeeping did not visit our room until nearly 4 PM on Saturday, after we had returned from the beach after being gone all day. Sine we were in the room, it was cleaned pretty hastily and a few items were missed like giving us refills on the shampoo and conditioner.

A few minutes after I had checked into the room, a strange man walked in and startled me (did not knock first). He said he was there to check the wet bar. Great - but do you think you could have knocked first, especially since I had just passed you in the hallway on my way to the room? This was kind of startling.

It is nice to have the beach chairs and umbrella available for use, however it is about a 5 minute walk from the hotel to the beach area. There are no restrooms on the beach so we were advised that we either had to come back to the hotel or go to Starbucks (where the restrooms are locked with a code).

I would recommend the Z Ocean Hotel, especially a rooftop penthouse, to anyone looking to have an unforgetable time in South Beach.

Room Tip: Splurge on an ocean view rooftop penthouse
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Dove 123,

Thank you for your comments and detailed review on your recent visit to the Z Ocean Hotel South Beach. Very happy to read of your wonderful stay and that you loved your Rooftop Terrace Suite. Stacey and our team are wonderful at accommodating guests that arrive early by providing all our services and amenities while our suites are being prepared for arrivals.

My sincere apologies for the small details that our staff members failed to provide during your visit and I've addressed each department to ensure these items are looked into immediately and thank you for your observations. We have recently hired an outside plumber to look into drains and ensure both water temperature and drainage is properly working.

Thanks again for visiting with us and please come back soon.

Sincerely yours,

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is a great Hotel. I usually stay at the Fontainebleau but this time I tried something different. I am glad I picked this hotel. The location is great. The beach is a cross the street. You have a lot of resturante in walking distance. There are a few clubs and bars in walking distance. A rental car is not needed becasuse everything is near. The concierge was great and got us reservations at a nearby resturante that was great. The room was decorated very nice and the hugh shower was a nice touch. I usually trip to South Beach 3 to 4 times a year and this hotel will be my first choice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Zoceansales, Director of Sales at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Cpalass,

Thank you so much for your amazing review! We love the fact that you loved everything about our hotel and got to enjoy the location and excellent service from our staff.

We know that coming from the other hotel you use to stay at you had everything within the hotel but we have everything (and mean everything) at our doorstep beach, restaurants, clubs, cafe and shopping. As for needing a car definitely not needed. Next time you stay with us, you'll definitely have to take advantage of our rooftop terrace suite. - it really is the best way to relax in South Beach style! Hope to see you soon!

Your new home on South Beach.....

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Where to begin? The Z Hotel is effectively the last on Ocean Drive and sits between the Art Deco group and the international set including Loews and the Ritz Carlton. South takes you into the Art Deco historic district, east is the beach (just the other side of Ocean Drive), two blocks north is the main shops on Lincoln and west are the restaurants on Espanola. Within 10-15 minutes walk allows you to get to most of the interesting stuff on South Beach. Location could not be better.

The Hotel does not look extraordinary from the outside, but once in you are in for a treat. The lobby is smallish but very nicely fitted out and feels cool in the Miami heat. Out back is a long area with comfortable seats, an outside bar and access to the Porch Cafe for meals and drinks. The second floor houses an outdoor pool area which is very nicely laid out in the limited space available. You certainly don't feel hemmed in.

Our room was a lovely suite overlooking Collins Avenue, with a large outside terrace and jacuzzi. With the terrace open, you get the buzz of SoBe, with it closed you are insulated from the outside noise and bustle - you choose. The suite was an excellent size with a fantastically comfortable king bed, a wonderful walk in shower plus large bathroom area, and a smart sitting area plus comprehensive kitchen facilities. You could be totally self sufficient. Finally, I have to compliment the hotel designer on the storage facilites - there are sufficent wardrobes and drawers to accommodate ones clothes (very unusual in my experience).

I cannot finish without a word on the hotel staff. All excellent. The very charming girls on reception work efficiently and with a friendly smile - just what you need after a long international flight. Mickey, the concierge is outstanding. Knows his way around, is a mine of useful information and is always on the go to help hotel guests.

My overall score is 10/10 - I could not find fault with anything. If all hotels met this standard, travel would be much improved. You cannot go wrong with this place.

Room Tip: Room 220 is a very good choice
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Zoceansales, Director of Sales at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Roger....

After a review like this all I can say is WOW.. Do you want a job? We can always you someone in the UK.

We are delighted that you experienced firsthand the beauty that South Beach has to offer, starting with our location and convenience to everything South Beach has to offer and then our suites and how comfortable and spacious they are compared to your typical guest room. Nothing like waking up in the morning to a gorgeous sunrise and enjoying a beautiful sunset on your balcony.

We hope you come back soon.

All the best.

new jerswy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Recieved a bottle of red wine to celebrate our anniversary and a bag of sweets to welcome us as IHC members. THe ladies at the desk, Mickey the concierge and all the bellboys are sweet and helpful. we would definately go back...loved being across from the beach. The pool is small but we only spent one afternoon there.

Dear Namasteanita,

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor and congratulations on your 20th Anniversary and allowing us to be the hotel you decided to visit.

Sounds like you had an exceptional visit, and that makes us very happy that we fulfilled your wishes and then some for a lovely and memorable vacation! We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another visit perhaps for the 21st!!

We also hope that everyone in your family and loved ones are safe after Sandy and pray for a speedy recovery of the area.

All the best,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I just returned from our first visit to Z Ocean. The location was perfect! One block to the beach. They are located on Ocean Drive so there were plenty of restaurants in walking distance. Also, Lincoln Road is only a few blocks away. We had our own private jacuzzi tub on our balcony facing Collins Avenue. We have no complaints about our stay. When we did have an issue it was solved right away, actually within minutes! We'd definitely love to go back when we can get away again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Zoceansales, Director of Sales at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for you recent review of your visit with us.
Dear Heather B,

It is very nice to read of your experience at the Z Ocean Hotel South Beach regarding the attentive, friendly and accountable service you received from our staff during your visit. I will be sure to share your comments with the staff.

I loved that you like our location, we should be considered the center of the South Beach Universe walk out our doorstep and everything is just a stroll away. Please don't take too long in company back!!!

Looking forward to your next visit with us.

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

After our third stay at the Z Ocean, it's time to write a review. If you want to rekindle your romance, the Z Ocean is the place to go. We have stayed in the same penthouse suite all three times, the second time by happenstance, the third time by request. We love the terrace and the Jacuzzi. The unobtrusive service is outstanding. Before we left, my wife asked if we should even bother to pack any clothes. She was nearly right, we only left the terrace or the beach twice. Mostly we wore our bathing suites. The spa service is excellent, two wonderful masseuses gave us a 90 minute couples massage on the terrace. I should also mention that the suite is spacious, the bed is very comfortable, there are two vanities in the bath, six shower heads in the spacious shower, and a wonderful kitchenette with refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, sink & dishes. The food at the Front Porch Cafe is good, particularly the 4 Cheese tortellini, broccoli lasagna, and the bacon cheeseburger. The Breezeway Bar is our favorite in South Beach!

Room Tip: The partial ocean view rooms have a better view.
Dear Konice,

Thank you for sharing such a descriptive, in depth review of the Z Ocean Hotel South Beach. This is great for all future guests to see and like the saying goes the third times a charm, glad we met your every need and desire... On South Beach you can either pack clothing to hit the clubs every nights or just a bathing suit and a toothbrush and we provide the rest. Next time before you arrive shoot me a message and wait till your wife sees what we set up for you both!!!! Seriously we appreciate you taking the time in doing this and sharing your experience with future guests .

We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another great stay!

Stay warm in Cleveland.

Frank Fuentes

Been to Z Ocean Hotel South Beach? Share your experiences!