“Great Location, Great Staff, Great Rooms (Housekeeping has slipped)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Z Ocean Hotel South Beach

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #7 of 202 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Houston, Texas
“Great Location, Great Staff, Great Rooms (Housekeeping has slipped)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

This was out second stay at the Z Ocean. Our prior visit was July of 2010. A few things have changed so I figured I would post a follow up review. We stayed at this location for three nights on an extended weekend getaway.

The hotel in the heart of the action of South Beach, on Ocean Drive, just minutes walk to Lincoln Road Shops, Spanish Quarter, clubs, and dining options. The main entrance is on Collins with a back entrance on Ocean Drive. Due to the cost of parking and the fact that we know how great the location is, we rented a car at FLL and returned it about half a mile from the hotel, and then did the same thing on return....no point in paying for a car and parking, and never using it. The valet did keep our car for 20 minutes while we checked in. We arrived early, and our room was not available (no problem). They assured us that they would call us when our room was ready, which they did, but it was about 45 minutes after normal check in time. That was a small price to pay for the ability to get the room location we requested.

There is a small but nicely decorated lobby with a small front desk. Also on the first floor is the restaurant and a bar, which is now operated by Front Porch Café, which was located a couple of blocks down the street on our last visit, and one of our favorite places for breakfast and Happy Hour, so we were really happy to have it available right in the Z Ocean, though we missed the dining experience along the busy section of Ocean Drive. They have a small yet nicely equipped exercise room on the first floor as well, but I can not see wanting to use it given is open air....I would imagine too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. With the promenade along Ocean Drive, just go out for a nice run like I did. You can head right out of the hotel and get about a 2 mile one way, or head left and go 2.5 miles along the beach boardwalk and then about as far as you want along the marina on Collins. New this year are the ability to use IPads at each front desk station. You can research, print boarding passes, etc, right from the IPads...very cool! The hotel has a daily charge for internet, but provided us with free internet access as a Platinum Priority Club member

As with our last visit we really enjoyed the small pool and hot tub. Even on this sold out holiday weekend we were always able to find loungers easily at the pool. They have a pool attendant who quickly clears up any towels left behind by others and ensure that there is no staking out of loungers all day. There is also food and drink service available at the pool from Front Porch Cafe. The beach chairs included in your resort fee (they waived the fee for us as Priority Club Platinum members, which was a nice improvement over last year when we were charged the fee) are on the beach front about 3 minute walk from the hotel. You get beach towels right at the beach, versus lugging them to the beach last year. The beach chairs are only available till 6 pm and the hotel pool closes at dusk pm. I think the pool should be open later in the evening.

The staff at the hotel was excellent once again.. As with last year, we called down to ask for a second lounger for our balcony the hotel happily obliged and had one up to our room within minutes once they verified that our balcony had enough room. (Some do not) I did notice that housekeeping was not as efficient or detailed this year. Small things not followed up on, bed not well made, extra (requested) towels just left on the couch, toiletries not replenished, turn down service gruff one night and limited the other nights. This is the only thing that I would say was not up to the same level as last year. That being said, if you called down and asked for them to refresh at a particular time they were always helpful. The hotel has electronic do not disturb / please make up room signs. When we requested extra pillows one night, a nice man from engineering came promptly and even took me to the pillow closet so that I could select exactly what we wanted. Great service.

Our room was on the third floor. The room we requested overlooked Ocean Drive and was a great place to have a cocktail with friends and do some people watching. There was absolutely no traffic or noise from the revelers through the excellent thick glass windows lining the balcony. The pool is located on the second floor so it was just one level down. The balcony is equipped with a round dining table, two chairs, and one lounger. (but had plenty of room for the second one we asked for.) I would not want one of the rooms on Collins or 15th. At first on check in there was some confusion on our request for Ocean Drive side (not like we we were requesting a roof top suite) but once the check in clerk looked more completely, she realized that yes, they did in fact have us in an Ocean Drive suite. I think that the rooms on Ocean or the Rooftop Spa Suites would be best.

The rooms are exactly as described on the hotel website and nicely decorated plenty of storage and a nice bed. The rooms have two HDTV's, a surround surround sound system, and a speaker system in the bathroom. Unfortunately there were no audio jacks to connect your MP3 player. There is a sitting area with a love seat (becomes a one person sleeper), high back chair, and coffee table. There is also safe, wet bar, microwave, cocktail glasses, and cooler. The cooler was plenty sufficient to keep our drinks and a snack cool. There is no real work desk in the room, but given this hotel is not really set up as a business hotel, rather a boutique leisure travel hotel that makes sense. You can work on the table on the balcony. The climate control seemed to work well and you can leave the blower motor on for white noise while the climate control is still functioning. The AC shuts off when the balcony door is open but that is fully understandable. The room had no discernable noise from nearby rooms.

The bathrooms are very nice, with two separate sink rooms, (his and hers) separated by the toilet. (doors between each section) The shower is in the right hand side and is a large walk in shower, with a bench, rain shower, side jets, and traditional shower head. Awesome Shower! The floor tended to fill with water a bit with all the shower heads on but not badly. They provide Aveda products in the bathroom and a traditional blow dryer which beats the wall mounted hotel type any time.

For some good breakfast head downstairs to (independently operated) Front Porch Cafe. Front Porch also has great happy hour cocktails. Jerry's Deli across the street from the main entrance is open 24/7 and has a full menu, bar, and take out. (We grabbed drinks, pastries, and desserts there a few times) There is a Walgreens a few blocks down the street so you can buy some drinks and snacks as well as a Liquor right next door so you can buy mixers for your room. There are so many other good dining options available you can read Yelp or Trip Advisor for those reviews. (To avoid the scam tourist traps!)

All in all a great stay at a great hotel.....if we are in the area again we would absolutely stay here! You can not go wrong with this hotel. I would just like to see the housekeeping service polished a bit.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
ZOceanSobe, General Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this sincere review of the Z Ocean Hotel in South Beach. I truly appreciate your insight.

We take pride on recognizing and ensure our Priority club members have an exceptional stay with us. I shared your kind comments with our staff, and they were thrilled to hear that you were delighted with their service. I must thank you for taking the time and expanding on your experience with us. I truly appreciate your insight and how you precisely described some of our areas for improvement; it is certainly very helpful to us.

On your next visit to South Beach, I hope that you would consider staying with us again. I would like to personally ensure that you have a great experience. Please do not hesitate to call me directly if I can be of service to you.

Warmest regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

Arrived in Miami on September 1st..First time ever in Miami. When I arrived to Z Ocean it was an awesome entrance compared to the other hotels down the strip. Katherine was the lady I spoke to in the front desk and she was very patient and calm when explaining everything to us and even gave us suggestions on dining places. The atmosphere of Z ocean was very soothing and cool. The lounge was pretty cool even though it was not air conditioned. The lobby restrooms were some of the nicest and most private restrooms ever. We had 4 couples all together and rented 2 bedrooms. One was a standard room and the other was a rooftop city view. I stayed in the rooftop suite and it was awesome!!!!
Yea the price is a little high but compared to other hotels it was not too bad for what you got. The room had a sofa which turned into a bed at your request. The king size bed was really comfortable and clean. There were 2 tvs and the living room had a bose system which was very convenient and you could hook up your ipod or mp3 and just jam. Once u went up the cool stairs ..the rooftop was amazing ...even though we had a cityview our penthouse #424 ..we could still see the ocean so we had both views and they were amazing. The hot tub was nice and the staff would set it up for you whenever you wanted . It was a very nice experience being and just hanging out on the rooftop...Having a couple of shots before the club or just hanging out after the club. The pool was also very nice. The bartender at the pool made some really good drinks and we just had a blast down there. The location of this hotel was perfect.. Espanola Way was a block away and they had Brazilian, Cuban, Spanish food..All delicious..Also for that late snack or munchies Jerry''s Deli across the hotel was really good. A little pricey but food was really good. The Front Ocean Porch Restaurant inside the hotel was also good(even though they charged my card twice).We had dinner there and breakfast and were both delicious.

I really recommend this hotel for those who are looking for a nice location and feel like being pampered..Very nice staff and service was excellent. This hotel has it all except for Free Wifi..other than that I recommend this hotel with two thumbs up.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
ZOceanSobe, General Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
Dear Valued guest:

I am very pleased to hear your kind words for our property. Particularly that you had such a memorable stay with us. Thank you for your accolades for Catherine and team. I have shared your comments with Catherine and my colleagues and they thrilled to hear that you were delighted with their service, we are extremely grateful for your comments.

Should your travels bring you back to South Beach, please contact me directly; I would like to personally assist you. In the meantime, we remain at your service and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Just got back from a girls get away over the Labour Day weekend. We chose Z Ocean based all the positive reviews and we are glad we did. The hotel is perfectly located in a quieter part of Ocean Drive yet a short walk to the shopping, restaurants, clubs and the beach.

Since we booked 2 rooms, I contacted Carlos (hotel GM) prior to our arrival to request the rooms be close to each other and mentioned that it was a long deserved get away for 6 soccer moms in need of some rest and relaxation. He was very accommodating and even offered us spa discounts and free welcome drinks. He also came to the lobby to greet us when we checked in. Now that’s service!

The staff is awesome....from the front desk (especially Maria and Catherine), to the bellmen (Domingo) to the room attendants..every one of them was always friendly and helpful.

If that wasn’t enough, we also received the rock star treatment with the well-appointed rooms with large balconies facing Ocean Drive (sound proofing was excellent) and the awesome gifts that awaited us in the room (personal monogramed pillow cases, beach bags, hats and water bottles and bottle of champagne…really!!). If this is the way they treat all their guests then Z Ocean is the only place to stay in South Beach! It was the perfect place to the girls to re-connect and have fun.

We only ate at the Front Porch for breakfast but the portions are big and the food was good.

I have stayed in many hotels and I have to say that this was the best hotel experience I have ever had.

So if you’re looking for a smaller hotel with well-appointed rooms, perfect location and friendly staff and all for a great price, then the Z Ocean is for you.

I know it was perfect for us and we can’t stop talking about it. We all went home re-energized and vowed to stay here again. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest;

Thank you for taking the time to write this kind review. We greatly appreciate your feedback. I am pleased that you found the Z Ocean Hotel to your liking. We place a high importance on customer service and the staff is delighted that you enjoyed their service. Thank you for your kind words for Maria, Catherine, Domingo and the team. I have shared your comments with the team and they are trilled that your girlfriend’s get way was so memorable.

We look forward to welcome you back; we hope that you will consider staying with us again. I would like to personally ensure that you have a great experience. If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to call me directly.

Best Regards,
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying at Z Ocean Hotel this Labor Day weekend and it was the best.I had a rooftop room with a great view of the ocean.A little pricey for the size of the room,but I liked the room more then i liked the price so I got over that quick.The shower is the best.Hotel was great.Staff was great.Location is great.Free wifi is the only thing missing.

• Stayed September 2011
Dear Valued Guest;

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Z Ocean Hotel, your review is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your kind words for the team. I am pleased that you enjoyed the amenities we offer, location, great service of our hotel, as well as the private Jacuzzi on your rooftop terrace.

We hope that if your travels bring you back to Miami Beach that you will consider staying at the Z Ocean Hotel again. If I may be of any assistance to you on your next stay please do not hesitate to call me directly.

Kind Regards,
DC Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

We stayed at one the rooms that are not quite the main hotel and overlook the pool. They are very quiet and private and ours had a 20% ocean view. The room was comfy and the amenities were great.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to a room with a rooftop hot tub. We asked too late.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest;

Thank you for your compliments on your experiences with us last year. We greatly appreciate your review and are so happy that you had a wonderful stay with us here at the Z Ocean Hotel.

Warmest Regards
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

travelling with the boys and looking for love- great location and friendly staff.
These guys know how to show you a good time.
place is perfect, great location
plenty to do here as well
would recommend this place for lonely travellers

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Dear valued guest:

Thank you very much for your kind words and sharing your experience on your last visit. We are delighted to learn that you found our property to you liking and your kind words for our staff.

Should your travels bring you back you back to South Beach, please contact me directly. I would like to assist to personally and ensure another superb experience with us.

Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

Everything was superlative: welcome, parking facilities (Juan), luggage handling (Dominique), reception desk (Sydne), Smiling, efficient (Catherine), splendid place. We loved the architecture, the interior design, furniture & amenities, everything contributed to our feeling of unforgettable vacation. Not forgetting the restaurant, very good breakfast indeed.The place to be !

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued guest:

I am very pleased to hear your kind words for our hotel. Particularly that you had such a memorable stay with us. Thank you for your kind words for Juan, Dominique, Sydne and the team. I have shared your comments with my colleagues and we are extremely grateful.

Kind regards,

Been to Z Ocean Hotel South Beach? Share your experiences!