“Great Stay!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Congress Hotel South Beach

Save Saved
You added Congress Hotel South Beach to your Saves list
Congress Hotel South Beach
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1052 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly The Strand)   |
Special Deal
$25 Pool Bar Credit/Stay
Ranked #71 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Montreal, Canada
“Great Stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at higher end resorts in the past but I must admit that our stay here was truly enjoyable. Yes the music can be loud at night buy hey you're in South Beach so what do you expect?! Also, that is out of the hotel's control if the resto plays loud music at night. The girl at reception named Stephanie was so nice with us. Originally when we tried to check in she could not find our reservation which we had made through Expedia. She kindly offerred for us to use the hotel's phone to call Expedia and regulate the situation. Luckily it was Expedia's error who had put the reservation in my husband's name instead of mine! So in order to make us feel better about our initial scare with Expedia having not booked us properly or at all, Stephanie went out of her way to upgrade us to an ocean view fabulous room! We truly appreciated that kind gesture of her's along with a free bottle of champagne for our anniversary! The room was clean and really quite nice. Even upon checkout the girl Joanne was really nice and got us a taxi cab from a company she trusted despite the early hour of 4am. Overall the service was excellent thanks to these 2 gals! Even the hotel's beach-chair and towel service was fantastic! We will definitely go back to this hotel without hesitation! Joseph+Diana

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Eleonor C, Front Office Manager at Congress Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
All of us at The Congress Hotel are happy that you enjoyed your stay so thoroughly! I will share your compliments with all of our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back.

923 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Piscataway, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

I decided to take a mini getaway and found this hotel for $100 a night on Hotels.com. It was a great deal so I stayed for three nights. Since I worked at a hotel I know what to look for. Everything I needed was in the room. The junior suite was beautiful. I got a room all the way in the corner but I didn't mind. Next time I'll opt for the ocean view. The rooms are spacious, clean, the bath tub is sooo heavenly and the bed is like bliss. Housekeeping came every day to clean my room and the front desk service was great. The bellman Brian was so gracious and helpful. I think if you're looking to stay somewhere nice and in the middle of the action this is the hotel for you. It's gets a bit loud but hey it's SoBe! Resort fees aren't much but make sure you have a card on hold for your incidental fees. Other than that you'll have a grand time. Don't pay attention to the negative reviews, they seem to blow things way outta proportion. Trust me I know. I had to work at these type of hotels before lol oh and the rooftop pool has the best scenery especially if you wanna take pics!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night back at the beginning of december. First impression was good, great bellboy who is extremely helpful. Got to reception and this is what let's the hotel down. Receptionist really couldn't care, actually quite rude. Got there at midday and told couldn't check in to room until 4pm. The resort tax is a complete joke! Apparently this covers a glass of bubbly (we were never offered this!), use of loungers on the beach (great when u can't check in til 4 and then have to check out by 11) and apparently use of wifi. The wifi didn't work once in our room and when advising the hotel they advised would get maintenance on it. I enquired again about this when checking out and was told "no problem". Also, when checking out, I went to pay the cash for the valet parking and rip off resort tax to be told they had already taken it off of my card. I found this extremely annoying since I had the cash ready and hadn't authorised them to use my card for this. Rooms were spacious, however, bed linen filthy and had to ring down for extra sheets as there was blood on the ones we were given. No furniture on the balcony, water came through brown, bathroom doors didn't shut and tears in the carpets. All in all, I wouldn't recommend this hotel, pay the extra 20 dollars and go to a more upmarket hotel. As I work in the travel industry in the uk, I certainly won't be promoting this hotel to future clients.

• Stayed December 2012
Nancy R, General Manager at Congress Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you sincerely for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at the Congress Hotel. It is disappointing for us to hear that your overall experience was not to your satisfaction. Our entire team strives to provide a most memorable time for all of our guests, and we truly apologize as this was not achieved for you. If you can kindly reach out to us, we would appreciate an opportunity to offer a solution and earn back your loyalty in the future.
Massachusetts, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THE DAILY RESORT FEES ARE DAILY AND PER PERSON STAYING IN THE ROOM WHICH IS NOT CLEAR WHEN YOUR SIGNING FOR THE DAILY RESORT FEE CHARGE. I SPENT AN EXTRA $180 APPART FROM HOTEL ROOM CAHRGE. This hotel is in a great location, staff was 50/50 some where very helpful and others specially the women could care less. On our first day everything was fine but the next it would go down hill. As someone mentioned before Our room was also NOT cleaned which we thought we would wait until the evening to ask if they cleaned the rooms on a daily basis or not. Well since they didn't clean the room we also did not have clean towels and had to reuse the ones from the night before. I asked one of the guys that worked there about the room cleaning and he called the maintenance people right away. They cleaned the room within a few hours. I mentioned this when checking out and asked if could maybe give me a discount on the daily resort fee for that day they charged and they said the RESORT fees had nothing to do with the cleaning of the rooms and that they owe me nothing to because they cleaned my room that same late EVENING AFTER I had asked if they could please do so. I have never Asked and don't believe any customer should ask for the room to be clean and towels changed. At that point I didn't want to argue with the short lady with the curly hair who seemed to be part of management who overheard what was going on and asked "SO WHAT DO YOU WANT US TO DO"? I was appalled by the lack of professionalism, if this person has a degree in the business field she should be fired. I WILL NOT BE STAYING HERE AGAIN AND HOPE THIS HELPS PEOPLE BOTH VISITORS AND HIGHER MANAGEMENT TO IMPROVE THE LEVEL OF SERVICE THIS PLACE CAN OFFER IN A GREAT LOCATION. With the right management this little place has so much potential for all age groups both young and old I hope they make quick changes before they have to face bigger consequences of a failing business.Feel free to contact me by email if you have any questions.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel for the challenges you encountered during your stay at the Congress Hotel. I have addressed my team accordingly in regards to the customer service and HK issues you encountered during your stay. The resort fee is mentioned on the registration form that we have all guests sign and initial upon check-in and it is also mentioned on the Bookit.com confirmation. If you can kindly reach out to us, we would appreciate an opportunity to offer a solution and earn back your loyalty in the future. I hope we have the pleasure of turning your perception around on your next visit to the Congress Hotel.

Nancy
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

Amazing location. Jr. suite was huge. Full fridge, freezer, stovetop, oven, toaster, coffee maker, comfy bed, and the deepest bathtub I've ever seen. They had dishes and pots and pans too. They even had a paper towel rack with paper towels and they had delicious apples at the front desk. I had a huge balcony too. The rooftop pool is awesome. Great place to relax and hang out with ocean view. I'm very happy especially for the low rate I got the room for on bookit.com. It was the mystery hotel deal. Once I got the hotel name I called and Dionara was really helpful and sweet. There was definitely loud South Beach music really late but low enough to be white noise in the background. The visitor center is steps away along with the hop on hop off bus stop. My favorite bar Fat Tuesdays was also a few doors down. Great dance bars all around the hotel. I was greeted by Brian and he was so friendly and especially helpful during my stay. I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed December 2012
Nancy R, General Manager at Congress Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. I'm happy to hear that you had a great stay with us! We've been working hard to make sure guests have a fantastic stay and it sounds like we are succeeding!
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My wife and I were on our way home to NYC after our honeymoon and were stranded on a layover in Miami by Hurricane Sandy. When I explained our situation to Eleanor at the front desk, she said that she would make sure that we could make the best of this tough situation and that she would have a room for us in a few hours. We left our bags and returned a few hours later and were so pleasantly surprised to check into a huge suite with a giant balcony overlooking the beach. Needless to say, we spent the next four days enjoying Miami, and the nicest hotel room we'd ever stayed in. Anyway, thanks to Eleanor and the entire Congress staff for helping us make the best of a tough situation. If only they could help out with the fact that Sandy ruined our house. Oh well. Can't win them all.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Great all around experience. Close to resteraunts and bars & across the street from the beach. Perfect location right in the heart of South Beach. Friendly, courteous staff that made part of our honeymoon special. Special thanx to Brian & Louis.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank You so much for your review! All of us here at The Congress Hotel have a great time taking care of our guests and making sure they have a wonderful hotel experience. We are also happy that you were able to take advantage of our prime location here in South Beach - it really makes it so easy to relax, party, explore, and enjoy yourself with ease! Thanks for staying with us, and we hope to see you again soon!

Been to Congress Hotel South Beach? Share your experiences!