“Listen to all the bad reviews & don't stay here!” 1 of 5 stars

You added Berkley Shore Hotel to your Saves list
Berkley Shore Hotel
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   1610 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #18 of 20 Miami Beach B&B and Inns
“Listen to all the bad reviews & don't stay here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I am writing this from one of the horrendous rooms at this hotel and honestly don't know why i did not listen to all the bad reviews on here and Still ended up booking into this hotel!! Even though I wasn't expecting too much, it is a cheap hotel after all, (I'm not a princess, I'm happy with basic facilities) this is beyond anything I've stayed in before... And I have backpacked extensively around Europe and the UK!

We arrived late, tired after a weekend at Coachella music festival in California. So you would think that I'm just keen for a bed, a shower and some sleep. Except that I'm wishing it was at least still before midnight so I could leave and find somewhere else!!

The lobby isn't too bad, standard really. But the moment we stepped into the lift, I got a bit of a bad feeling. But that's ok... Heaps of places have scary dodgy lifts, right? Well yes, but then you step out into the hall, and get a really bad feeling. It's like something out of a movie with the gross hotels where prostitutes frequent and people with hopeless lives live... Then we opened the door to our room and we were blasted with the stench of stale cigarette smoke, and a totally run down room. Words can't describe the horrible feeling you get in here. This place really should be knocked down, there is no saving it.

I've actually just looked back at other reviews and photos on here and had to laugh at how silly I have been... The photos of all the other rooms look the same as this one - crooked lamp shades, cracked tiles, cracked louvres and a pokey uncomfortable bed.

I've met two staff so far. Both have been hugely disinterested and unhelpful.

Don't make my mistake. There are so so many places to stay. This just isn't worth it!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Davenport, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

All I can say as I lay here with my clothes on is DO NOT STAY HERE ! Im from the bronx originally and have seen the worst of the worst but I was wrong . This is the worst ! No blower, tv remote, iron , OUTLET COVERS, TV RECEPTION ,

• Stayed April 2014
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

First the good: Location was GREAT! only a block from beautiful South Beach. And the outside was cute and looked like the photos if you didn't look too closely.

Now the bad: The lobby was very old and they handed us a brass key for our room, which puts me on safety alert right away. The attendant wasn't very friendly, probably from all the complaints she must receive. The elevator was small, but we've stayed in older hotels in Europe so I was hoping for "quaint". Nope.

And the ugly: The hall to the room had very dirty carpet and a long dark stain running the entire length. The room looked like something from a Hollywood ghetto movie. The tiles were cracked and dirty, the walls had been damaged and patched but not painted. The furniture looked like un-charming thrift store or dumpster diving finds. No remote to change the fuzzy channels on the old TV, no hair dryer and the "remodeled" bathroom was already falling apart. The faucet was very loose and the tile job was dangerous - slick wall tile on the shower floor. The towels smelled like cigarettes and and room smelled like someone had stayed in it before us and forgot to use deodorant. The double bed was lumpy and off kilter from the headboard mounted to the wall. We spent two nights here and survived but if you can afford to stay somewhere else, do it.

Room Tip: Judging from my experience and the others' reviews, don't choose any room in this hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Graz, Austria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

I had a 17 hours lay over in Miami three weeks ago and decided to book this hotel for the night. Well thank God it was only for a night, I wouldn't have stayed there longer even if they paid me. This is the most run-down place I have ever been to. The halls make you feel like you are wandering some abandoned building the owners had to leave at short notice, not to mention the more than questionable elevator. It's not getting any better once you enter your room, they're just run down and very very spartan. The beds were not clean so i slept on a sheet i brougt myself. The tab in the bathroom is loose and almost breaks when using it, also the AC could not be adjusted. I have to say one thing though: I read the horribble reviews before picking this hotel (since it was only for one night) so i really expected nothing and was still shocked by the state this hotel is in. If had to spend more than a night in Miami I wouldnt have even stayed there that one night. I can't recommend anybody to stay at this hotel especially not for 65€ a night. The only plus is is location but that's it. Never again

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I would absolutely not recommend this hotel to my dog with fleas. Horrible Horrible service. You can't control/turnoff/adjust the air. We froze all day and night. My husband had to go sleep in the car it was so cold. We had to hunt staff down to get clean towels, and when they gave them to us we got no wash cloth. The shower OMG when you see mold you need to run like hell. I don't care if its for 1 night do not stay there. This place is absolutely horrible! I can go on and on but like Mike the beast says. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Room Tip: There is no good room O_O
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

This has to be the worst place I've ever stayed in. The price was ridiculous for the unsatisfactory service we recieved. $750 for 4 nights of freezing our butts off because the room stayed a constant 50 degrees with no way of controlling the air conditioning. The place is very run down, some of the room numbers are written on the door in a sharpie. The housekeeping services were horrid. The only time we got our room cleaned is when we had to hunt the staff down and make them do it. When we didn't hunt them down they just came in and threw some bars of soap in the sink and left. We had to change our own sheets and pillow cases and when we changed the pillow cases we never slept on the pillows again due to the amount of stains and filth of the pillows. The shower had mold everywhere. We had to ask for towels everyday from the front desk but if you didn't do it before 4pm you were out of luck. They need to demolish this place, hopefully the new hotel that is going up next to it will buy up the property and put a wrecking ball through it. Don't stay here, you have been warned...

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
HENDERSON
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I was booked into this Hotel by an new assistant. When I saw the name I thought it must be one of the newer boutique hotels on Collins and actually looked forward to getting there. I have stayed on Collins at least 8 times before and stayed at Royal Palms, Shore Club (2x) and Lowe's (4x). This is not so much a hotel but a hostel. When I first walked up to the counter the overwhelming smell of urine that was trying to be covered up by some sort of flower perfume. The first thing I did was try and book another room at one of the locations I had stayed previously nothing available for the night. I went to Lowe's across the street and stayed there working in the lobby until about 1:00 in the morning (they had a solid WiFi connection and it didn't smell. When I couldn't stay awake any longer I knew I would have to stay at least one night in this hostel. When I got on the elevator to go to my room on the 3rd floor the license in the elevator expired 09/30/2009 (I have pictures). When I exited the elevator it was easy to find my room because the room numbers were hand written with Sharpie on the doors. Got to my room (305) opened the door and behold my room, the chair that I guess was to used to sit at was ripped up, someone had stolen the battery from the smoke detector, the electrical outlets were open and empty, the patch work on my wall was something from rural Mexico, there was a hole in my bathroom but lucky for me it was stuffed with toilet paper. Being very tired I pulled the nasty 70's style bed cover from my bed to find out there are no blankets but there is a sheet wrapped around the mattress not bed cover and sheet just a sheet. So i took the towels out of my bathroom and covered the pillows and slept in my clothes. Checked out the next morning and checked into the Hyatt Regency more of a Hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Been to Berkley Shore Hotel? Share your experiences!