“Loved the Room and Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Garden Hotel South Beach

Save Saved
You added The Garden Hotel South Beach to your Saves list
The Garden Hotel South Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1050 Washington Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139-5018 (Formerly Wyndham Garden Hotel Miami South Beach)   |
Ranked #105 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
virginia
“Loved the Room and Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

First, you have to ignore their growing pains: It is actually four old hotels being renovated into one complex. We stayed in the newly renovated "Bel Aire": Super clean and beautifully spacious room and bathroom. Its cool colors, couches, chairs, desk, etc. were nice. The staff is super friendly. The continental breakfast is excellent: bagels, toast, fruit, cereal, coffee, juice - all included in the room price.

It it a little confusing to check in, even finding the hotel(s), and there is construction, but ... Great location - two blocks from the beach.

I WOULD DEFINITELY STAY HERE AGAIN.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

203 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

We stayed there for 1 night before a cruise. Was able to the Airport Flyer ($2ish per/per) from the airport to basically the steps of the hotel. Clean and spacious room and bathroom. It was cute, and the staff is super friendly. Got the hotel for a very good price, considering that I have no complains. If you are going to the cruise port do not take their shuttle service, only $22 taxi to the port and there are lots of taxis soonest you step out of the hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors are always a good option.
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

My sister and I spent 1 night in this place and I did not get a wink of sleep. We arrived a little after 3:00 pm because we were told check in was at 3:00pm. Needless to say, we were told our room would not be ready until 4. That was ok because being that we had just left 15 degree weather, we did not mind staying outside in the "Garden area". Once our room was considered ready, we were escorted to the Davis and immediately there was a strong smell of mildew in the lobby that almost made me want to turn around and get my money back. They tried to mask the smell with air fragrances and oranges they had sitting out. The fun started when we opened the door to room #273. First, we asked for twin beds and they gave us a King. Being in the property management business, I should have known better. This room appeared as if no one had cared about providing a clean room for it's guest. I was watching TV and felt something crawling on me. It was a flea. I grabbed a tissue and went to the bathroom to dispose of it and I see hundreds of tiny ants crawling all over the wall in the bathroom. They were on our cell phones and charges. These ants were coming out of the electrical sockets. Long story short, they tried to transfer us to another room but that room had the same issues with the ants in the bathroom. Finally they transferred us to a suit in another building and that room did not appear to have any pest issues. Unfortunately the damage was done and I spent the rest of the night waiting to get out of that place and hoping I would not see anything else. If you don't mind sleeping with fleas and ants, this is a great place for you. I must say, the staff was very accommodating. I blame the owners for this one. Go look at room #273 and ask yourself, would you be excited to stay here? I should not be able to see the outside from inside a closed door. Wash the curtains sometimes and stop leaving that round pillow thing on the beds especially when you know you do not wash it, ever.

Mississauga, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night before our cruise. The best thing about the hotel is its location, walking distance from the busy street and 2 blocks from the beach and just 1 block from the bus stop where the Airport shuttle bus has a stop. The hotel is average, more like a 2 star. The room is old but renovated so it looks decent. We found a couple of cockroaches in the washroom at night. If you want a budget hotel near to the action, this is a good choice. They still had construction going on...we reached early at 10.30am, but couldn't get a room till 3.30. So we just left our luggage at the hotel and went around the Miami beach streets. The hotel is on a relatively quiter street but very near to the action - 5 mins walk. The hotel has wifi, but they won't give the wifi password till you actually get your keys for check in. We had toilet flush problem which i notified at 8 am. No one showed up to fix it till 11 am. I had to manually fix the flush couple of times to make it work. Kinda bad service for the only toilet available in the bathroom on a morning.

The breakfast is regular continental breakfast,bread, corn flakes, orange juice, muffin... no hot food. The check out was smooth. We booked a shuttle at the hotels front desk to go to the Miami port for $11 per person which was a good decision rather than taking taxi.The hotel has a burger king right in front of it and has a vending machine outside the hotel rooms.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

I tried to check in and was told that my reservation was not in the system. Being that it was my birthday, that I was up all night, just set food off the longest flight ever, I was not very amused. Things could have only gotten worse but I was in luck, I was helped by a young lady named Raquel. To start off with she was on the phone for an hour and thirty minuets with place I made my reservations with, when they couldn't help me, she quickly came to my rescue and offered me a plan that worked with my travel schedule and budget that I had allocated to my trip. No about the hotel. Its in a perfect location, the employees are very nice and helpful, it is clean, the rooms and bathroom are modern. I cant strop telling my family and friends how staying here made my experience of visiting MIA great.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We stayed here this past week; loved the location, not too far south or north, just right; 2 blocks from beach; in the art deco area (11th & Washington), which we love with lots of diversified culture around a variety of people, restaurants, bars, shopping, etc., both high end and low end (but if you prefer a sterile "suburb" type hotel/area with everyone the same, and not a lot of places to walk too, go further north Ocean drive to around 21st street and higher); no restaurant however on site (closed during construction), just continental breakfast available ("free" with our $97/night rate), it was good; we stayed in the Davis building, 1 of 2 open out of 4 total; 2 other buildings are closed/under renovation; pool is also closed (but go to the beach! You're in Miami!); safe secured card access building; the room was nice, colorful and stylish and clean (but not super fancy, 3 of 5 stars), great comfortable bed, A/C is a little noisy and we heard construction noise starting at 8am, even on Sunday. But the price was right and location was important to us. No safe in room (which I knew about but I prefer to use/have), but we survived. No fridge/mini bar in our King bed room with separate sitting/living area. Vending machines available. Did not use/look for ice/machine. There is window Black out shades, which are great. Staff were friendly and common areas were clean, but a little too much Febreeze smell in hallway. Bring ear plugs if you prefer near quiet sleeping; we did as AC is noisy. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the North side (away from Washington st.) are quieter; our corner room had a small separate...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I got this room on Priceline for an amazing deal. Through their EXPRESS option so no bidding required. It was a HUGGGEEEE suite, not just a room. I don't know if it was because I wanted a fridge which is $10 extra and they just figured they would put me in a room that already had one, or whether that was the normal size.
The other great part was location. 2 blocks from the beach, in the exact middle of the main area of south beach.
I gave it 5 stars because of value. It was a steal.
Other downsides, no pool. Parking not ideal but self park with metering 25 yards away.
The construction visually was not bad. Noise I think is only during the week. I heard a few chain saws, but wasn't too bad. I wasn't there for the hotel, but needed a place in S Beach, so I was happy.

Room Tip: Consider asking for the $10/night fridge. We ended up in a HUGE suite for a fraction of the price of...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Garden Hotel South Beach? Share your experiences!