“Way above what I expected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Garden Hotel South Beach

Save Saved
You added The Garden Hotel South Beach to your Saves list
The Garden Hotel South Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1050 Washington Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139-5018 (Formerly Wyndham Garden Hotel Miami South Beach)   |
Ranked #106 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
San Antonio, Texas
“Way above what I expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

A bit apprehensive to book into The Garden Hotel especially after reading the older reviewers on Trip Adviser, but I noticed that some of the reviews improved as we got closer to my trip date which was May 9-12, 2013. I checked into the Main building Room 221 upon check in I asked if there was any upgrades available, the gentleman was extremely nice, and while no upgrades were available he offered a larger room overlooking the pool and Washington Avenue. The room was large, very deco style with bright colors, comfortable king size bed, plenty of bed sheets and towels, and one side of the wall was painted with large tropical palm tree - Welcome to Miami ! My only complaints was the water levels at times was hard to get cold water at the sink (I solved this by closing and opening/timing it), and also not sure if there was another room or what above me but there was a large thumping sound literally all night, I heard no noise to the adjoining rooms to the side of my room. The shower was fine, no dirt at all - in fact I found the room to be clean and smelling great. There is plenty of noise if you are on the Washington Ave side (city hall, police and fire department very close by) so if street noise bothers you definitely want to request a room away from Washington avenue. Also the Main building may be the best from other reviews I have read upon check in ask if there is a room available in the same main building. There are several other buildings part of the hotel spread out among the hotel property. One review I read mentioned there was no elevator - again this may be building specific as the main building did have a working (a bit slow) elevator that me and my partner used daily. If you are thinking of renting a car (unless you are headed out of Miami beach) you have everything around you. The beach is 2 blocks away, and food from Burger King, to pizza joints on every other corner, to Mexican food, and even Lincoln road for some shopping is only about 6 blocks away. There is a great 11st dinner right across the street - a bit pricey, but then again nothing in South Beach is cheap. The pool to the hotel was small, but I saw most of the guest enjoying it, and the hotel provides beach towels just make sure you return them back if not there is a fee. Overall the Garden Hotel gave me much more than I expected, thank you to the great and friendly staff and I cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: I can say the main building (where you check in) does have a working elevator, and may have the bett...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
gardenhotelmiami, General Manager at The Garden Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Days like this make me feel proud of my team! Your review was to the point and specific to what we're working on. Just like realtors say "location, location, location" in our line of work we say "service, service, service". It is all about you, your needs and meeting your expectations... even better if instead of just meeting them we exceed them!
Please come back soon, please make sure you tell us the next time you're coming back. Our website has our contact information so please feel free to send us an email when you decide to plan your next South Beach Getaway!

Take care and have a wonderful day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed there this past weekend ! When we arrived we asked for an upgrade , while there were not any available , the front desk person did provide a bigger room with a fabulous view of Washington and the pool . This area is busy , so if you are not interested in busy, or do not appreciate the night life , then this place might not be for you ! We loved it ! Location is perfect , and everything is walking distance. The staff was great ! Only small issues we had were the window unit was a little loud , and at times we had issues with getting cold water on sink ! Otherwise , all was great ! I'd stay there again, no doubt !

• Stayed May 2013
gardenhotelmiami, General Manager at The Garden Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
We appreciate the time you took to write this review. We know how busy you must be and you still made time for us. Your review was great!
Please think of us starting now... plan your next vacation!!! Visit our site for future promotions and packages and begin to plan your return!

Again thank you for your wonderful review!
Carlisle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Very nice hotel with a good deal of style.
Not happy with first room but no problem moving. Second room excellent.
Tasty decor and very clean and fresh.
Nice complimentary breakfast with a chance to upgrade for 4 dollars to a full breakfast. Well worth it.
Hotel is only 2 blocks from Ocean Drive so near the action.
Good Diner opposite but Miami is a bit pricey so share meals to cut costs as the portions are huge.
Would definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the second floor facing to the right.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
gardenhotelmiami, General Manager at The Garden Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel. We appreciate your time and really hope you return soon. We're working hard for our guests to make sure we deliver the best performance a boutique hotel like ours can deliver. Stay in touch and let us know if you ever need anything!
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Other than the service being decent, I have absolutely nothing positive to say about this property. Here are my complaints:
The floors were absolutely filthy
The room reaked of mildew to the point you could taste it in your throat
The wall AC unit was very loud
The shower sprayed water in several directions
The toiletries had been used (the body wash was almost entirely empty)
There was no elevator
The bed linens were stiff
The bed was uncomfortable
The towels were thread bare and stiff.

All in all, if I could demand a refund I would. I booked this property very last minute on Hotwire. I am very glad I was only there for one night.

Dear guest:
I am extremely sadden by what you experienced. Hotwire or not you deserve to get the service you expected. I will not make excuses for what seems to be an overall sad experience. Although I can no longer fix your stay I definitely want to reach out to you and ask you to please email me at sales@gardenhotelmiami.com so we can establish a line of communication and be able to address a part of your review and try to make things right for you.
Did you report your issues to our front desk team? Was my team attentive to your needs? I want and need to make sure our team steps up to the challenge of making things right for our guests regardless of the incident or situation, regardless of the rate they pay or how they booked their stay. I will personally look into every single detail you mention and assure you they will be dealt with accordingly.
I hope to hear from you soon.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Not sure why this hotel is considered a resort. It's absolutely tiny, nowhere near a 3 star category. What they consider their relaxing pool area is situated literally right in front of busy Washington Ave (loud buses, motorcycles etc.) defintely disappointing... I travel to Miami frequently, and this is my very first abnd last time deviating from the large hotel chains. You really get what u pay for. Got this hotel as a Mystery 3 star miami beach central hotel. Also, I was so annoyed that they charged $11/day for resort fees. You got to be kidding me..never again will i come to this place.. If relaxing by the pool and enjoying the scenery is for you then this is not the place..

• Stayed May 2013
gardenhotelmiami, General Manager at The Garden Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. We have looked into your comments and would like to share with you our thoughts as well:
Many of the hotels in the area charge a resort fee per night and we are not an exception of that, the difference between the other properties and ours is that we include breakfast for 2 guests in the room, access to our business center, access to our fitness room, pool and beach towels and Wi-Fi access, all within that resort fee of $11.00 you mention and which is displayed in all of our internet channels including the one you used to book our property. This means that for $5.50 per person you were able to secure all of this for you and your companion. Your room was booked as a Queen Room and although our system noted that you would have preferred a room with two beds (subject to availability) we were unfortunately unable to meet your request as we are sold out for the weekend and the room itself would have been $40.00 more per night than what you booked.
Our hotel is located in a centralized area near all of the major attractions. This could give us an opportunity to drive a much higher rate, instead we choose to sell our property at an accessible rate like the one you booked for your stay. It is my understanding that our Front Desk Manager has already been in contact with you to offer you an opportunity to make your stay better and he has mentioned that you have declined to accepting our assistance. Our offer remains on the table to review your plans and your stay so we can make sure it is enjoyable and pleasant.
As your stay continues please feel free to ask for me and I will personally make sure your concerns are addressed and your stay enjoyable. Take care.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Garden bills itself as 'Miami's newest boutique hotel'. If that is the case, I am calling my old Land Rover 'Britain's newest Range Rover'. The result will be the same. I will still be driving an old Land Rover and the Garden will still be a crap hotel.

A boutique hotel takes on the big boys by offering excellent service, style and service. Sadly, The Garden fails on all three.

Nice facade in a Miami art deco mode, and they have slapped some lime green paint around the place but the public areas are grubby and I killed a two inch roach in our room. See the pic.

When I took the roach to the front desk the manager swiped it into a bin then vanished into his office. Ten minutes later he emerged and said he would have our room fumigated. I told him it was midnight so he could do it in the morning and clean the detritus under the bed where the roach had made his home. He went back into his office without a word.

There is no parking and the parking place they direct you to costs $40 a day.

When we booked in I asked if we could swap to a room with a refrigerator and was told there were only two rooms on the property with a fridge. With the temp outside at 80+. None of the rooms have a safe. Our room had a TV. It was stuck on CNN. When I phoned down a nice chap turned up and said he had fixed the TV. In fact he had moved it from CNN to a kids cartoon program where it stayed for the remainder of our stay.

The owners of this dive have two ways to go.

1) Book into a proper boutique hotel and see how it is done.
2) Keep on raking in the cash.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. Although it fails to mention a few facts about your stay I wanted to take the time to acknowledge your efforts in writing what I find to be a very creative way of reviewing a property. Your analogies were interesting and got your point across. After multiple discussions with our team, specially with the ones you had interactions with, we concluded that throughout your stay from beginning to end we did all we could to accommodate you and provide you with great service, the best we could provide. In the beginning of your stay you mentioned to our front desk agent that you were a "hotel reviewer but not on business", the intention behind that statement may not have been acknowledged by my team and that may have disappointed you, we apologize if it did. During the evening you reported an issue in your room which was handled by my team by awarding you an immediate upgrade to a suite which you accepted gladly. In the end of your stay you mentioned finding an insect in your room and the only thing I can mention about this is, that we run this property with the highest standards of cleaning and upkeep to the point of having multiple binders which show our fumigation schedules for each room and maintenance reviews to make sure our guests never have to face a situation like the one you mention. Your pictures are very graphic and we thank you for them because this will help us address the issue you have brought up.
In the end, I would personally like invite you to please share with me the next time you may be in the South Beach area, allow me to meet you and guide you around our property. Let us discuss a future visit to our hotel so you can see that what you lived may have been an isolated incident.
Once again thank you for your time.
Bronxville, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I loved the clean rooms. The service was great and the Complementary breakfast was good as well. I would stay here again on my next trip to Miami Beach. It's three blocks from wet willies and two blocks from the beach. All the fun on the main strip is right there and on the block of the hotel. There fresh green apples available and I love me some green apples. The pool was very clean to play in as well. The staff was very helpful with directions on getting around south beach.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you so much for acknowledging our efforts and of course for taking the time to write this wonderful review. We do our very best to provide our guests with the best accommodations at a bargain price. We appreciate your time and hope to see you once again in the future!

Been to The Garden Hotel South Beach? Share your experiences!